Sign in to follow this  
lolwat

DayZ doesn't save my character. Please help

Guys, please help me! I can't play the game anymore because of this. My character keeps getting reset after every time i quit, change server or server restart. Everytime I change server, I keep starting with a new character in a new spawn point. Seems like game is not saving my character for some reason...

Edited by lolwat

You know that if you quit, disconnect router, alt+f4 or lose connection any other way your character stays in game for 30 seconds?

Possible you are getting killed by zombies or something. Try to log out in safe place, like deep in forest or something.

you have several character hardcore and not hardcore. make sure you are playing on the same server type.

You know that if you quit, disconnect router, alt+f4 or lose connection any other way your character stays in game for 30 seconds?

Possible you are getting killed by zombies or something. Try to log out in safe place, like deep in forest or something.

Of course I know about the 30 seconds, it's not something like that. I'm sure that the game is not saving my character, I'm testing this for a few days and it happens EVERY SINGLE TIME I try. Every time after server reset or disconnect, I start as a fresh spawn. And another thing is that I don't start with my own character settings (clothes and skin), I just start with a random character.

Stable or Experimental?

you have several character hardcore and not hardcore. make sure you are playing on the same server type.

Guys, I know about those basic stuff, I have been playing since release. But this character wipe is just constantly happening every time I try. I just don't want to reinstall the whole game if there is a solution.

Of course I know about the 30 seconds, it's not something like that. I'm sure that the game is not saving my character, I'm testing this for a few days and it happens EVERY SINGLE TIME I try. Every time after server reset or disconnect,

If this happens in cities or airfields I belive you are getting killed by zombies or other players.

I start as a fresh spawn. And another thing is that I don't start with my own character settings (clothes and skin), I just start with a random character.

This may be fixed by going to character customization, setting character you like and clicking set as defaoult or something like that button, it will save your character settings.

Guys, I know about those basic stuff, I have been playing since release. But this character wipe is just constantly happening every time I try. I just don't want to reinstall the whole game if there is a solution.

there has  been  character wipes. there are more than just 2 characters i believe there is something like 15 from what i have read/ experienced.

Edited by pycco

Stable or Experimental?

Well, it started on Experimental first, then I switched to Stable yesterday, I thought it was about experimantal but it keeps happening.

Maybe you are playing on some funny clan/private servers? Those servers may have problems with saving.

Well, it started on Experimental first, then I switched to Stable yesterday, I thought it was about experimantal but it keeps happening.

Well so far every player that got his character "resetted"  was logging out in Electro, on hospital roof or aifrield etc, you know ....

PS.

And ofcourse many characters were "reseted" while doing server hops in military bases on low pop servers too.

Edited by Frosti

When you log in and find your character wiped, what do you do?

Do you stay and play on the server that can't connect to the character Hive?

Do you expect that the server that can't load your old character data, will be able to save your new character data?

When you log in and find your character wiped, what do you do?

Do you stay and play on the server that can't connect to the character Hive?

Do you expect that the server that can't load your old character data, will be able to save your new character data?

I play on my 4-5 favorite servers which are on my list for a few months, and I had no problem until this week. I also tried other different servers to test this. I believe there's something wrong with my game files.

I play on my 4-5 favorite servers which are on my list for a few months, and I had no problem until this week. I also tried other different servers to test this. I believe there's something wrong with my game files.

Why would you think it's in the files? Have you modified any of them? I play since release too, and have never experience the character reset I've read about on the forums and like what you're telling.

The only thing I can advice is that when you quit a server, go back to the main screen and check if your character is up to date with what you had when you logged out, then try to go to the same server. If it works, try the same thing, but going to a different server based on the same hive. Test that out a bit. If nothing works (after seeing your geared character on the main screen, and going back to the same server and being a fresh spawn) then it must be something with the files/ip address/Steam game CD key or something like that.

Why would you think it's in the files? Have you modified any of them? I play since release too, and have never experience the character reset I've read about on the forums and like what you're telling.

The only thing I can advice is that when you quit a server, go back to the main screen and check if your character is up to date with what you had when you logged out, then try to go to the same server. If it works, try the same thing, but going to a different server based on the same hive. Test that out a bit. If nothing works (after seeing your geared character on the main screen, and going back to the same server and being a fresh spawn) then it must be something with the files/ip address/Steam game CD key or something like that.

Well I think there is a problem about my own game because I'm getting this issue on the servers which I have played for months and didn't get any problem, so it's not about the servers. I also had a few character resets back 4-5 months ago, but Dean Hall stated that those were about the servers which couldn't connect to Hive. But this one seems like it's just about me. I also had many game crashes when I was playing in Experimental (seems like it's a common issue in experimental), so maybe some config files etc. are lost?

I will try your advice tomorrow, thanks. Also as I said in a previous post, I'm not spawning with the clothes and skin I selected from character options, I just start with a random character.

Edited by lolwat

Well I think there is a problem about my own game because I'm getting this issue on the servers which I have played for months and didn't get any problem, so it's not about the servers. I also had a few character resets back 4-5 months ago, but Dean Hall stated that those were about the servers which couldn't connect to Hive. But this one seems like it's just about me. I also had many game crashes when I was playing in Experimental (seems like it's a common issue in experimental), so maybe some config files etc. are lost?

I will try your advice tomorrow, thanks. Also as I said in a previous post, I'm not spawning with the clothes and skin I selected from character options, I just start with a random character.

Interesting. Might want to delete your config files to redo your default character, settings and preferences. Might as well check the files integrity on Steam too. Good luck mate!  :thumbsup: 

there has never been a character wipe ever. there are more than just 2 characters i believe there is something like 15 from what i have read/ experienced.

there have been LOTS of char wipes bro. especially on exp.

LOL yup i must die to much, i have never lost a character to a wipe and i only play exp. falling through buildings is deadly though ^_^

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/155358-security-vulnerabilities-fixed-by-patch-2-and-character-wipe/

there has been some 

btw first link on Google.

Edited by pycco

Interesting. Might want to delete your config files to redo your default character, settings and preferences. Might as well check the files integrity on Steam too. Good luck mate! :thumbsup:

This sounds like the best option or start with whole new install. Not like you have anything to loose anyway 8). Maybe report it to support see if they know anything that could cause that..

He is saying EVERYTIME soooo don't think they are wiping his toon 10 times in five minutes or however log it takes to retry. If they wipe your toon does it wipe your default character setup? I honestly don't know but seems like that would stay intact but again I dunno. Edited by Oldsquatch