Sign in to follow this  
liquidcactus

Make backpacks very rare

Hello,

I suggest to make backpacks alot more rare and more so a luxury. Hoarding alot of items takes away from some of the immersion in my opinion.  Say 1 player has one for a group of 3 or 4 players and he is the designated item carrier in the crew. Perhaps even smaller satchels or something with alot less slots would be ideal as a I believe some of the backpacks have way to many slots as it is. So yes, being prepared for any situation with a backpack full of items should be a hard luxury to achieve..

Having limited slots would make one be more resourceful and careful with their items while keeping the game interesting enough to have to venture and choose wisely. Picking and choosing and putting more of a value on the items you would find and perhaps make the experience all the more intriguing in general in my opinion.

I believe its a simple idea that could add a bit more fire back in to the SA in the survival sense.

What do you think ?  

• Like 1

nah, make then a bit harder to find, but not rare.

As long as the biggest backpacks are rare it doesn't matter to me. Maybe they should increase the amount of ropes and burlap sacks so I can actually use one before I get a decent small backpack.

Hello,

Perhaps even smaller satchels or something with alot less slots would be ideal as a I believe some of the backpacks have way to many slots as it is.

Also, the spacesystem isn't "finished" anyway, you don't have to worry about it now, they will change the spaces different items are using.
--> a good idea:
http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/195350-inventory-needs-to-have-way-more-slots-items-need-to-have-both-weight-and-volume-values-long-post/?hl=%2Bbackpack+%2Bspace+%2Bvolume+%2Bpen

Edited by Nesuma

The idea makes sense in a post apocalyptic world. But I think it would make them game a lot less fun for most.

I'd love to see more improvised ones, but not less backpacks overall.

This right here. I would love to see the amount of pre made backpacks reduced and the improvised backpacks being used more. Once hunting/skinning is implemented into stable I think you will see more people using them. I only picked up the small child book bags in experimental until I had the required materials to make a courier bag

Honestly, If someone wants to wear a mountain back pack to carry more items , it's fine by me. Just makes them an easier target. I almost always wear one of the two improvised backpacks. Haven't found any need for something larger.

i like to use a courier bags as much as possible to help me get in the mindset of not promoting loot whoring what with all the extra junk we will need to carry with hunting and such

i like to use a courier bags as much as possible to help me get in the mindset of not promoting loot whoring what with all the extra junk we will need to carry with hunting and such

Is there a carrier bag in the game already ?

This right here. I would love to see the amount of pre made backpacks reduced and the improvised backpacks being used more. Once hunting/skinning is implemented into stable I think you will see more people using them. I only picked up the small child book bags in experimental until I had the required materials to make a courier bag

I really hope so.. regardless I'm sure they will lower backpack numbers promoting the crafting bags to be use more frequent one day... one day

• Like 1

Is there a carrier bag in the game already ?

Yes it is, add some sticks to it and you have an improvised backpack. The improvised pack was a. It was buggy in experimental, you couldn't add the stick to it. All you need is rope and a burlap sack right now in stable build to make one

I wouldn't make them rarer, but I'd just decrease the amount each bag can carry. Half all the carry sizes on them.

I would like to see backpacks become a rarity :thumbsup:

Hell, I'd like everything to become a rarity lol

Yes it is, add some sticks to it and you have an improvised backpack. The improvised pack was a. It was buggy in experimental, you couldn't add the stick to it. All you need is rope and a burlap sack right now in stable build to make one

Oh sorry, I was thinking you meant like a one strapped "courier" kind of bag.. but yes I was aware of this "burlap sack" but am yet to see one ^_^

Oh sorry, I was thinking you meant like a one strapped "courier" kind of bag.. but yes I was aware of this "burlap sack" but am yet to see one ^_^

Yes thats the one that just slings over your shoulder.You can make them with the burlap sack and a piece of rope in the stable build, in experimental you can use animal hide or burlap and rope. However if you add sticks to it it will make an improvised backpack.

Edited by Tobias Winfro

I'd love to see more improvised ones, but not less backpacks overall.

Me too.

Those are the coolest ones! It takes a little know how to make one work out too. Like using ammo boxes, containers and 1st aid kit to add slots. Its also fun finding the stuff you need to make one. I def would love to see way more improvised items in game.

Edited by CJFlint

Yes thats the one that just slings over your shoulder.You can make them with the burlap sack and a piece of rope in the stable build, in experimental you can use animal hide or burlap and rope. However if you add sticks to it it will make an improvised backpack.

Ahh cool, I didn't know about the adding sticks to form into a backpack part ^_^  I love finding out about these little things I dont know about, to do with crafting and items. 

Like using ammo boxes, containers and 1st aid kit to add slots. Its also fun finding the stuff you need to make one. I def would love to see way more improvised items in game.

I found an ammo box once. Didn't take it. I'm guessing it just works like a storage container but can hold up to ten magazines or something and saves space in your pack inv. ?

I have actually stopped playing dayz and uninstalled it to try an wait it out till the zombies are at least an real threat and have serious numbers. SUCH A HARD WAIT MAAAAAN

Great idea. I've actually quit DayZ until they add more survival, as right now it's way to easy to get a gun and gear and murder anybody you want.

Agree make certain backbacks rare luxury items.

Properly designed load hauling packs, that move erogonomiclly that are rare. Any pack can have stuff crammed into it but it's not going to be comfortable for a sustained peroid of time. Bags like, http://www.mysteryranch.com/military/weapons-carry-packs/nice-overload-3zip-bvs-pack, http://www.mysteryranch.com/hunting/nice-frame-packs/nice-6500-pack, note the sleeping bag compartment etc...

*Hydration bladder slots/small item compartments that not part of the main load area d but part of the design

*Hip pockets

*A frame system which allows for better movement

Unique items that have abilitys tied to their design.

Edited by Trizzo

The idea makes sense in a post apocalyptic world. But I think it would make them game a lot less fun for most.

How does it make sense?  Everyone owns at least one backpack in there house, more than likely 3+ or more if they have kids.

• Like 2

How does it make sense?  Everyone owns at least one backpack in there house, more than likely 3+ or more if they have kids.

Totally agree with you I have at least 8 or 9 bags in my home, of which half a dozen are back packs and 3 of them are over 90 liter size. Really don't see where back packs or bags would be rare ? you could walk into any town and manage to find a back pack or at least a suitable bag.

As for space, well, you should see what I can get into my 110l backpack without any real effort enabling me to be self sufficient for days and weeks at a time. I personally think that the back pack slot size is fine as it stands allowing enough room to carry certain equipment such as can opener or knife , food and water, spare ammo, binos, spare optic etc etc.

If guys are happy to run around with nothing thats their decision. Personally I kit up in the game as I would in real life and would not really enjoy that option being removed. Survivalism is all about staying alive and using what is to hand not running round the woods with a swiss army knife and mud smeared on the face when there is the possibility of getting gear that would assist in that task.

• Like 1

Backpacks are like cans of beans; I bet pretty much every home in Central and Eastern Europe has at least one stashed away somewhere.

• Like 1

I guess what I meant was that there shouldn't be so many hunting/hiking packs, because I don't know too many people with those. Then again I don't really care either way so they could put more in if they want. Doesn't matter to me.

• Like 1

Ahh cool, I didn't know about the adding sticks to form into a backpack part ^_^  I love finding out about these little things I dont know about, to do with crafting and items. 

I found an ammo box once. Didn't take it. I'm guessing it just works like a storage container but can hold up to ten magazines or something and saves space in your pack inv. ?

I have actually stopped playing dayz and uninstalled it to try an wait it out till the zombies are at least an real threat and have serious numbers. SUCH A HARD WAIT MAAAAAN

Yes ammo crates store I think 8 slots of ammo emptied out of there boxes, but ammo only. It takes up 4 slots. There's also the 1st aid kit and yellow protective case that hold 6 slots, but only take 4. On my current build I started off with the hunters back pack, then made my own back back out of a burlap sack, sticks and rope. It had 5 less slots then the hunters I think, but the 1st aid kit, yellow protective case and ammo box helped me to use every last bit of space. It also cuts down on my profile and helps blend in with the trees. I would love to see more stuff that we can make our selves in game. The only thing is, there WAS reports of game crashes caused by cases, and deaths. It was some sort of game bug, but I have not seen it happen in a long while.

Here's the thing, having those huge mountain back packs and using them in game makes you stick out like a sore thumb to a sniper. If you have a red one way more so. So I think yes maybe players who pick them up can carry allot more stuff, but you profile is much larger. I learned this over time......I will confess the hard way, both being on the receiving end of gun fire and dishing it out. Ya may as well paint a red shoot me sign on your self. I finding I like the much much prefer the hunters and improvised much better, even though there are less slots. So I think people with out even thinking are making them selves much more visible, using blue, red, purple or even bright green back packs. So its not like they are getting some sort advantage lol Just packing that bag full of stuff. Then getting shot before they ever have a chance to use it.

As far as zombies go, I would like to see them realisticly placed in the game. So say if it is one of the larger citys, there needs to be more much more zombies, but say smaller towns less. Also more of verity of them and maybe even make it so players can become infected and turn into one. That would be quite the trolling tool lololol

Edited by CJFlint