Sign in to follow this  
SamualACarver

Noob needs help

Hi all, I just started playing DayZ. I never played the mod so I am totally new to it. I love it its a lot of fun but I am getting very frustrated with a few things. Maybe some people could help me out give me some advice.

First thing is I can almost never find any guns. I have watched a bunch of youtube videos and I see people get guns in a matter of minutes.  I have played sometimes for hours and never find a gun. Ihave probably 50 hrs of playing in and I think I have found guns only 3 times in all of my many times dieing and respawning.

The second and biggest issue I am having and the main reason I keep dieing is that I dont know how to melee fight the zombies. I have been killed by zombies lots and lots of times and I have only managed to kill maybe 2-4 with melee weapons. I cant figure out what I am doing wrong. I have had bats, machetes, sickles, pitchforks, knives etc and I still die pretty much everytime I run into a zombie. One problem I am having is that the zombies score hits even if they arent facing me. I have had them be 10 ft away facing the other direction and still scoring hits. I have tried to run at them attack run on past turn arond and repeat but that doesnt work because everytime I hit them they hit me. Even though I am hacking at them with a machete and hit them 10-20 x or more they hit me with their bare hands 3 to at the most 10 times I die.  It always ends up with me trading blows with the zombie, me hitting it 20-40x sometimes knocking it down other times it doesnt seem like I am doing anything to it besides some blood spattering. It hits me 3-10 times and I'm dead.   I just died a few minutes ago. I had a sickle was chopping away at the zombie he hits me like 4 times (while facing away from me) I start bleeding like crazy and it doesnt even phase it that I have been chopping away at it with a sickle. So I had to run away or die. It never stopped chasing me so it eventually killed me. I respawned in the same area. I found the zombie standing over my previous dead body. I thought screw it I'll try attacking it with my fists. That didnt work because I got in the fighting stance but my character wouldnt hit. I was mashing the mouse button and he wouldnt swing. The zombie hit me 3x and I was dead.  Anyway I am getting very frustrated and would very much appreciate some help.

Thanks

you can find guns in many houses, but as you may know, there is no item respawn system in YET, so every gun will be taken, especially if you play from xx:30 - xx:59 because most servers restart (and generate new items) at xx:00

try police stations out (the yellow/beige building with the small round tower thing on the roof), fire-stations (White, with the big square tower with windows in it) for handguns/ammo, and of course military buildings, which you shouldnt go near to if you have no gun

the easiest method right now is to just join an empty server (5 persons or less) and loot the buildings stated above

you will find every sort of gun and tons of ammo for it.

melee damage to zombies is bugged right now, the best thing you should do is find a one handed weapon (preferred a stabbing weapon like the screwdriver) and aim for the head. the zombies should now go down with 2-3 hits

you can also wait til this monday (16th) because a big patch with many improvements will come out that day.

(it will fix the melee damage)

oh, and welcome to the Forums :D

you can also use this map, but it could take away the fun of exploring:

http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus

Edited by rotteck
  • Like 1

the easiest method right now is to just join an empty server (5 persons or less) and loot the buildings stated above

you will find every sort of gun and tons of ammo for it.

Lol, So your advicing the noob to start with server hopping..... It's pretty easy to find weapons even on full servers so there should not be any reason to server hop ever...

On exp even easier because loot respawn....

Lol, So your advicing the noob to start with server hopping..... 

Why not? Most are doing it anyway it just levels up the playfield for him.

Things will be better in the future I hope.

Why not? Most are doing it anyway it just levels up the playfield for him.

Things will be better in the future I hope.

So because 'most' people do it everyone should? I don't think most people do it anyway, but some do, and after they do it, they jump on a full server just to go out and have a KOS-fest...

What is the fun in getting fully equiped with military gear in 10 minutes?? It just makes the game get boring even quicker and gives no challenge at all... But I guess if you find being a cheating pussy is what makes this game fun then go ahead server hop all you want..but advicing noobs to use the same pussy tactic isn't gonna make this game better and it's only gonna increase the KOS'ing..And how are things gonna be better in the future when people like you contributes to ruin the expirience for fair players??

Heck you might aswell start hacking because it will take your playfield even to a higher level..

Edited by Kaboki

Thanks for the advice. I did do a little better with melee fighting. I didnt know that you could aim for specific areas with melee weapons. After you said to aim for the head I put the reticle dot on the zombies head when I attacked with a shovel. I guess I was hitting it in the head. It is kinda hard for me to tell for sure but I did kill a couple before they could kill me.

How realistic is the melee fighting or is it intended/will be? What I mean is that with a shovel I have more range than I would with even a machete, and definately more range than the zombies hands. So it seems that I should be able to hit the zombie with a shovel and stay out of the range of its hands by hitting then moving back. Does it work that way? I tried it but couldnt tell if it was working or not for sure.

As far as server hoping I have sort of been doing that. One thing for sure I have been connecting to servers with 3 or less people on them. Some of the reasons being. I am not very good with the controls yet. I am not very good at melee fighting. I dont know much about the game and interacting with items. I'm getting better but still I have a lot of learning to do. I thought it best to start out learning on a server that will be a little easier. I get killed enough by zombies to not also need to worry about Players killing me.

I have also been going on 24/7 day servers for the same reasons. I am trying to learn and the added difficulty of night is too much. A question about that. A lot of times I go on servers that say 24/7 daylight but they are still really dark, not pitch black but dark enough that I cant see anything but some shadows. Why is that? What do I look for on the server list if I want full daylight. Even servers in my time zone have been dark or late dusk when it should be full bright day outside. I was playing at 4:30 pm it is full daylight and doesnt get dark here until 9pm but all the servers I tried in my timezone were like it is when it is 8:30pm, almost dark.

Any other advice anyone can give me is appreciated because like I said I am totally new to this game. I just heard about it last week. It looked totally awesome so I bought it and it has been but it is hard to learn from scratch.

Thanks

So because 'most' people do it everyone should? I don't think most people do it anyway, but some do, and after they do it, they jump on a full server just to go out and have a KOS-fest...

What is the fun in getting fully equiped with military gear in 10 minutes?? It just makes the game get boring even quicker and gives no challenge at all... But I guess if you find being a cheating pussy is what makes this game fun then go ahead server hop all you want..but advicing noobs to use the same pussy tactic isn't gonna make this game better and it's only gonna increase the KOS'ing..And how are things gonna be better in the future when people like you contributes to ruin the expirience for fair players??

Heck you might aswell start hacking because it will take your playfield even to a higher level..

some do it because they want to learn the game (OP), which is fine

i personally fight me my way to any military base (except NEAF) on a 20-30 Person Server, check EVERY building: everything empty.

now, i had so many action and trouble, just to get nothing. NOW i change servers a few times until i find an untouched base, with all doors closed.

now i loot, switch servers back to 20-30 person server, and fight me my way to the next base.

i would call that playing fair.

going to NWAF, hopping 30 times to get a full inventory of 60 round mags, and the best pimped ou M4, THAT is being a cheaty pussy, as you called it

If the game makes you feel so terrible, stop playing, come back when its released.

Im not gonna say what stage this game is at atm cause it makes people mad, believe me. Nevertheless in this stage its all about testing things out and if you think people are going to spend hours to find weapons just to be a "legit" player your wrong, you might enjoy it but especially for NOOBS its better to tell how to get items so they can test the game and get a good experience instead of wondering around and getting shot/starved/whatnot.

Does it make any sense to you?

If the game makes you feel so terrible, stop playing, come back when its released.

Im not gonna say what stage this game is at atm cause it makes people mad, believe me. Nevertheless in this stage its all about testing things out and if you think people are going to spend hours to find weapons just to be a "legit" player your wrong, you might enjoy it but especially for NOOBS its better to tell how to get items so they can test the game and get a good experience instead of wondering around and getting shot/starved/whatnot.

Does it make any sense to you?

No it doesn't make any sense to me, I love this game, when did I ever say it was terrible?

What is terrible is that some players just can't play without cheating military gear in 10 minutes and then go out for a KOS-fest just because they basicly suck at the game and don't know how to find gear on a populated server. I don't see hoarding loot on empty servers has anything to do with testing the game... They(the devs) put up the timer there for a reason, to actually try to prevent you guys server hopping as it has nothing at all too do with testing, that's just a lame ass excuse for cheating and ruin fair players fun..... I hope they put up a 15 minutes timer instead of 2 minutes now just so you kids can have some real punisment!!!!

Edited by Kaboki

Either you didnt read my post or you didnt understand it.

You really think serverhopping is going to be permanent solution for getting gear? 

Either you didnt read my post or you didnt understand it.

You really think serverhopping is going to be permanent solution for getting gear? 

Either you didn't read my reply or you didn't understand. The developers have put a timer when switching servers to try to prevent server hopping, why????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Ill bet my ass off when the game is finished and it will even become harder to find lot than it is today(it's to damn easy to loot up now, even on a full server), you will continue with your pussy ass tactic of server hopping. Just hope the devs put up a 1hour timer so all you bitches has to stare at a black screen for a while when waiting beetwen the jumps...

I don't give a damn if it's hard for 'noobs' to find loot, guess what, this game is supposed to be hard!!! And a noob should learn the hard way!!

It's got damn annoying being shoot by noobs camping on the coast shooting bambis with their cheated m4's and thinking they are so fucking hardcore just because they managed to kill defensless people with no gear.

There is no fucking excuse for server hopping no matter how you look at it!

Edited by Kaboki

Thanks for the advice. I did do a little better with melee fighting. I didnt know that you could aim for specific areas with melee weapons. After you said to aim for the head I put the reticle dot on the zombies head when I attacked with a shovel. I guess I was hitting it in the head. It is kinda hard for me to tell for sure but I did kill a couple before they could kill me.

How realistic is the melee fighting or is it intended/will be? What I mean is that with a shovel I have more range than I would with even a machete, and definately more range than the zombies hands. So it seems that I should be able to hit the zombie with a shovel and stay out of the range of its hands by hitting then moving back. Does it work that way? I tried it but couldnt tell if it was working or not for sure.

As far as server hoping I have sort of been doing that. One thing for sure I have been connecting to servers with 3 or less people on them. Some of the reasons being. I am not very good with the controls yet. I am not very good at melee fighting. I dont know much about the game and interacting with items. I'm getting better but still I have a lot of learning to do. I thought it best to start out learning on a server that will be a little easier. I get killed enough by zombies to not also need to worry about Players killing me.

I have also been going on 24/7 day servers for the same reasons. I am trying to learn and the added difficulty of night is too much. A question about that. A lot of times I go on servers that say 24/7 daylight but they are still really dark, not pitch black but dark enough that I cant see anything but some shadows. Why is that? What do I look for on the server list if I want full daylight. Even servers in my time zone have been dark or late dusk when it should be full bright day outside. I was playing at 4:30 pm it is full daylight and doesnt get dark here until 9pm but all the servers I tried in my timezone were like it is when it is 8:30pm, almost dark.

Any other advice anyone can give me is appreciated because like I said I am totally new to this game. I just heard about it last week. It looked totally awesome so I bought it and it has been but it is hard to learn from scratch.

Thanks

Hey! Welcome to DayZ, I'm new to the forum, but no the game. I've actually started playing the mod and then switch to stand alone.

A couple of things that might be useful:

1-Don't server hop. Server hopping won't help you at all to prepare yourself for future encounter with players. DayZ is about looting and being dead after a couple of hours....it's inevitable.....you will cross a bandit on your way and either you die or the bandit does. So stop server hopping if you want to really know how to play the game

2-If you are re spawning on the coast, go in land and search for city that have mod houses and piano houses (piano houses are the ones that have inside of them). They have plenty of food and good guns.

3- Try hitting the zombies with axes, from my point of view, they are the most effective melee weapon to beat out zombies. A common axe or a firefighter axe should do the job. The trick is aim to head and move in circles around the zombies. 

Hope that those tips help you ingame! Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

There's no such thing as a 24/7 daytime server. Servers make outlandish claims in their title, but they have no control over the time cycle. Only thing they can control is how often their server resets. So if you see a "high loot" title, they most likely reset their server every hour.

For daylight, look for a server time between 07:00 and 16:00. I think the game is set in wintertime, when the sun sets earlier. So it starts to get dark about 16:30 or so. Pitch black by 17:00 by my experience. Hope that helps.

Hi all, I just started playing DayZ. I never played the mod so I am totally new to it. I love it its a lot of fun but I am getting very frustrated with a few things. Maybe some people could help me out give me some advice.

First thing is I can almost never find any guns. I have watched a bunch of youtube videos and I see people get guns in a matter of minutes.  I have played sometimes for hours and never find a gun. Ihave probably 50 hrs of playing in and I think I have found guns only 3 times in all of my many times dieing and respawning.

The second and biggest issue I am having and the main reason I keep dieing is that I dont know how to melee fight the zombies. I have been killed by zombies lots and lots of times and I have only managed to kill maybe 2-4 with melee weapons. I cant figure out what I am doing wrong. I have had bats, machetes, sickles, pitchforks, knives etc and I still die pretty much everytime I run into a zombie. One problem I am having is that the zombies score hits even if they arent facing me. I have had them be 10 ft away facing the other direction and still scoring hits. I have tried to run at them attack run on past turn arond and repeat but that doesnt work because everytime I hit them they hit me. Even though I am hacking at them with a machete and hit them 10-20 x or more they hit me with their bare hands 3 to at the most 10 times I die.  It always ends up with me trading blows with the zombie, me hitting it 20-40x sometimes knocking it down other times it doesnt seem like I am doing anything to it besides some blood spattering. It hits me 3-10 times and I'm dead.   I just died a few minutes ago. I had a sickle was chopping away at the zombie he hits me like 4 times (while facing away from me) I start bleeding like crazy and it doesnt even phase it that I have been chopping away at it with a sickle. So I had to run away or die. It never stopped chasing me so it eventually killed me. I respawned in the same area. I found the zombie standing over my previous dead body. I thought screw it I'll try attacking it with my fists. That didnt work because I got in the fighting stance but my character wouldnt hit. I was mashing the mouse button and he wouldnt swing. The zombie hit me 3x and I was dead.  Anyway I am getting very frustrated and would very much appreciate some help.

Thanks

For the finding of loot try http://dayzdb.com/map it is a interactive map that lists all the looot spawns in dayz at the moment 

Most youtube videos are edited, you can make it look like you find a gun within moments of spawning that way.

The difficulty of finding a gun is proportional to the server population. As well as how long the server has been up and where you have spawned. 

My advice would be to check in cars, they often spawn guns. I found an SKS today in a car and I'd only just spawned. People still seem to neglect cars as they didn't spawn any loot for a while.

Either you didn't read my reply or you didn't understand. The developers have put a timer when switching servers to try to prevent server hopping, why????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Ill bet my ass off when the game is finished and it will even become harder to find lot than it is today(it's to damn easy to loot up now, even on a full server), you will continue with your pussy ass tactic of server hopping. Just hope the devs put up a 1hour timer so all you bitches has to stare at a black screen for a while when waiting beetwen the jumps...

I don't give a damn if it's hard for 'noobs' to find loot, guess what, this game is supposed to be hard!!! And a noob should learn the hard way!!

It's got damn annoying being shoot by noobs camping on the coast shooting bambis with their cheated m4's and thinking they are so fucking hardcore just because they managed to kill defensless people with no gear.

There is no fucking excuse for server hopping no matter how you look at it!

Ahhhh, I see now, you're an angry little child ... angry because you get killed, constantly from the sounds of it, and you feel the need to whine and moan and scream and throw a temper tantrum over what has already been explained to you to be, in the current state of the game, a perfectly reasonable way to get loot, when loot doesn't respawn at the moment. Nothing sucks as bad as running from town to town for literally hours, and finding jack sh*t all, like the OP mentioned, because someone, or in most cases, several someone's have been there before you. You claim "Its to(o) damn easy to loot up now, even on a full server". If this is the case, why are you throwing such a temper tantrum over people finding loot on other servers ? Its so easy to find it on a full server, (according to you) so what's the big deal ?

Seriously, quit being a tool, quit hijacking OP's thread, and grow up.

And to the OP, good advice from others above with regards to combat and finding loot, I just got done playing a bit and oh my god is the melee zombie combat so much better, it doesn't take a thousand hits anymore. I found a pickaxe and was killing every zombie in 1-2 hits (1 hit if you hit it in the head, two for everywhere else) I then found a firemans axe and it was killing all zombies with one hit (people said it was doing that before, but i NEVER got a 1 hit kill before today with it on a zombie) so all in all, you should have a much easier time killing the zombies now. If you're still finding it a bit rough, try circling the zombies with "a" and "d" keys till they lunge at you, you should be able to avoid getting hit, and once they lunge, they kind of stumble for a second, which is your chance to get a couple hits in. Only other thing I can think of, and I don't mean this to be insulting, is do you know about bandaging ? and being hydrated and energized ? it sounds kind of like you might be bleeding out after one fight, and then the next zombie finishes you off.

Thanks everyone for the help and tips, it clears a lot of things up for me. All the info you all gave me is very helpful and will make the game even better (which it is already awesome). Those few things I asked about were really bothering me now I know what to do.

Thanks all.