nexventor

DayZ moving to new engine - ENFUSION

64 bit has only been confirmed server-side, not client side.

FTFY. :)

54 bit has only been confirmed server-side, not client side.

I read somewhere that now with the code also being for PS4 (there is overlap after all) we will get 64bit clients...was on reddit somewhere, I think it was written by rocket.

Edited by bautschi

I really wonder

With new engine;

1- Will zombies and animals have proper mechanics and physics? (I mean will they be realistic? )

2-Will players have proper physics like in gta4  ?

3- How much % graphic quality will be increased ?

4- What we can do that we never can do with old engine ? ( a few in game examples? dont say lights wont pass throuh walls I already know it)

in a nutshell it will run better than arma 2 and 3 as they are poorly optimized for dayz

Edited by friendlypilot
  • Like 2

in a nutshell it will run better than arma 2 and 3 as they are poorly optimized for dayz

I really hope this engine will make it run better. My 770 and 8350 run it pretty good now but sometimes the game just doesn't want to give me the frames I should have. There are times where I can get 60fps in Cherno and Electro and times where I can barely hold 30 there. That is really my main issue with the game but other than that it has been an awesome experience so far. 

I know that video I wanted know in game tangible examples like Zombies will jump on you like in dead rising and you have to deal with it, be able to see nice physics when you chop tree  ect.. ect.. Like that examples. I feel like this engine will increase things more realted lighting things than physics and mechanics.. Because I cant see any ingame example for physics and mechanics .

Edited by BugZ
  • Like 1

everything will be optimized for dayz , 770 and 8350 will be wonderfull

Originally, Hall thought development of DayZ would be bound by the limitations of the legacy ARMA II engine. Since the game has sold like hotcakes, that is no longer the case. The interest has given the team the impetus to rip out the graphics renderer, which was limited to DirectX 9, and write a new renderer, with support for either DirectX 10 or 11, and even OpenGL for Linux support down the line.

"We lose a lot of time," Hall admits. "But implementing DirectX 10 or 11 will have a dramatic, instant visual difference and quite a significant performance difference."

System performance remains a major issue with the game's current engine. Enterprising players have ported the Chernarus map into ARMA III's DirectX 11 engine and have already seen a massive performance boost, so an official upgrade such as this should be just what the doctor ordered.

Implementing DirectX 10 or 11 will have a dramatic, instant visual difference and quite a significant performance difference.

It won't just be visual and performance improvements that a new engine will bring. "The big benefit we get is being able to implement dynamic lighting so we can have dynamic shadows," Hall explains. "If you've got a good computer, you'll be able to play with more lights. If there's a lot of people using torches in the distance, you'll be able to see their lights."

New shaders also mean Hall has the ability to look at making DayZ's pitch-black nighttime phase more playable, as it was originally being rendered using the ancient DirectX 7. "It really just gives us options to play with," he elaborates. "Once we've got that, we'll then experiment and say, 'How can we change the lighting at night so that we still achieve that pitch blackness, but at the same time actually allow you to play it?'"

pretty sure he concentrating on just lighting at the moment with the new engine

Edited by friendlypilot
  • Like 1

Originally, Hall thought development of DayZ would be bound by the limitations of the legacy ARMA II engine. Since the game has sold like hotcakes, that is no longer the case. The interest has given the team the impetus to rip out the graphics renderer, which was limited to DirectX 9, and write a new renderer, with support for either DirectX 10 or 11, and even OpenGL for Linux support down the line.

"We lose a lot of time," Hall admits. "But implementing DirectX 10 or 11 will have a dramatic, instant visual difference and quite a significant performance difference."

System performance remains a major issue with the game's current engine. Enterprising players have ported the Chernarus map into ARMA III's DirectX 11 engine and have already seen a massive performance boost, so an official upgrade such as this should be just what the doctor ordered.

Implementing DirectX 10 or 11 will have a dramatic, instant visual difference and quite a significant performance difference.

It won't just be visual and performance improvements that a new engine will bring. "The big benefit we get is being able to implement dynamic lighting so we can have dynamic shadows," Hall explains. "If you've got a good computer, you'll be able to play with more lights. If there's a lot of people using torches in the distance, you'll be able to see their lights."

New shaders also mean Hall has the ability to look at making DayZ's pitch-black nighttime phase more playable, as it was originally being rendered using the ancient DirectX 7. "It really just gives us options to play with," he elaborates. "Once we've got that, we'll then experiment and say, 'How can we change the lighting at night so that we still achieve that pitch blackness, but at the same time actually allow you to play it?'"

pretty sure he concentrating on just lighting at the moment with the new engine

Dean seems like an awesome guy from all the panels and what not I've watched him in. So I know he means what he says. Really we just have to be patient and be happy we can play right now at all. 

• Like 1

When you talk about "the engine", please don't boil it down to graphics. That's not what it is. "The engine" runs actually everything a player can't see directly in game, just the effects of it. Some examples of what got its place in the Engine since the start of DayZ SA? ( one might correct me if i'm wrong )

AI Pathfinding: AI actively searches a way to or away from the player by using dynamically calculated routes. ( navmesh, Zombies, animals )

Collision detection: Are you tired of zombies going through walls and wallglitchers shooting you? Collision system might be your place to work on !

Client/Server communication: Tired of having 2 FPS in Novo eventhough you run an SSD, 2 GTX780 in SLI and a CPU the NASA would be jealous about? Ever thought that the server just isnt able to send enough data per second to your client to use your rig? This is your playground now.

Sound system: Yeah, playing sound X on event Y is easy, however, for a good immersion it needs to be dynamic, with different sounds, filters, distance and direction calculations, and local ambient sounds not connected to most of that.

Loot distribution: Yeah, you can define "spawnpoint X" in "civilian_house_2" to spawn either a mosin, a sks or a blaze. And you reset all of this on server restart. But thats not cool for a game that is intended to provide the same experience hive-wide. Wanna make loot respawning all across DayZ ? Loot distribution is surely one of the single most important engine parts.

Melee mechanics: You make them hit with the crosshair, people will complain. You make them hit with the animation, people will complain. Welcome to one of the most sensitive parts of DayZ. Feel free to invent a solution that will make everyone happy. Melee is also a part of the engine.

And that are just some parts of "the engine" that came out of my mind. I didn't even mention the renderer, what would be the graphics-part of the engine.

You see, the engine is quite complex, eventhough they are "just" altering an existing one. But there is so much work to be done until we see actual changes in game and there wont be a patch ever that states "New engine now in" - its a steady process, and you will see the changes over time if you know where to look.

Enginewise, they did a great job so far.

• Like 1

pretty sure he concentrating on just lighgting at the moment with the new engine

If you're going to copy and past someone else's words, you really need to cite your source. Plagiarism is illegal. 

I dont know whats exacly wrong but zombies in Dayz unrealistic and looks like plank. Whats wrong with DayZ zombies ? When I look them I feel like they staying on air not on surface. Also when we shoot them we cant see bullet wound on them I think this is also making them unrealistic. Also we need see wound on players too. Is it possible with new engine.??????

what's an idear?

When you talk about "the engine", please don't boil it down to graphics. That's not what it is. "The engine" runs actually everything a player can't see directly in game, just the effects of it. Some examples of what got its place in the Engine since the start of DayZ SA? ( one might correct me if i'm wrong )

AI Pathfinding: AI actively searches a way to or away from the player by using dynamically calculated routes. ( navmesh, Zombies, animals )

Collision detection: Are you tired of zombies going through walls and wallglitchers shooting you? Collision system might be your place to work on !

Client/Server communication: Tired of having 2 FPS in Novo eventhough you run an SSD, 2 GTX780 in SLI and a CPU the NASA would be jealous about? Ever thought that the server just isnt able to send enough data per second to your client to use your rig? This is your playground now.

Sound system: Yeah, playing sound X on event Y is easy, however, for a good immersion it needs to be dynamic, with different sounds, filters, distance and direction calculations, and local ambient sounds not connected to most of that.

Loot distribution: Yeah, you can define "spawnpoint X" in "civilian_house_2" to spawn either a mosin, a sks or a blaze. And you reset all of this on server restart. But thats not cool for a game that is intended to provide the same experience hive-wide. Wanna make loot respawning all across DayZ ? Loot distribution is surely one of the single most important engine parts.

Melee mechanics: You make them hit with the crosshair, people will complain. You make them hit with the animation, people will complain. Welcome to one of the most sensitive parts of DayZ. Feel free to invent a solution that will make everyone happy. Melee is also a part of the engine.

And that are just some parts of "the engine" that came out of my mind. I didn't even mention the renderer, what would be the graphics-part of the engine.

You see, the engine is quite complex, eventhough they are "just" altering an existing one. But there is so much work to be done until we see actual changes in game and there wont be a patch ever that states "New engine now in" - its a steady process, and you will see the changes over time if you know where to look.

Enginewise, they did a great job so far.

Pretty sure they're just changing the rendering system, the game engine itself (everything not-pertaining to graphics) will be 100% the same. Absolutely none of what you talked about is really relevant to the "engine" updates that are going to happen.

Edited by t1337Dude

Pretty sure they're just changing the rendering system, the game engine itself (everything not-pertaining to graphics) will be 100% the same. Absolutely none of what you talked about is really relevant to the "engine" updates that are going to happen.

Actually most of what i've talked about went from scripted events in the Mod/on the ArmA2 Engine to hard coded components of the actual game engine or got massively improved at least.

Edited by ChainReactor

Actually most of what i've talked about went from scripted events in the Mod/on the ArmA2 Engine to hard coded components of the actual game engine or got massively improved at least.

Right...but we're talking about graphics. None of that has to do with what this thread is talking about. There isn't going to be a new game engine. Just a new renderer. The lighting capability will instantly be improved and it will allow them to use more shaders. That's about it. This is all being done by a team separate from the people who are actually working on the zombie pathfinding, physics, sound, loot, etc.

The OP is talking about the new renderer being integrated, and not the entire DayZ game engine itself. Of course all that stuff is being improved from the mod in the over all DayZ engine.

Edited by t1337Dude

Good post man. This should shut up some of the weirdos who think Dean has already left and that DayZ is somehow stagnating.

Right...but we're talking about graphics. None of that has to do with what this thread is talking about. There isn't going to be a new game engine. Just a new renderer. The lighting capability will instantly be improved and it will allow them to use more shaders. That's about it. This is all being done by a team separate from the people who are actually working on the zombie pathfinding, physics, sound, loot, etc.

The OP is talking about the new renderer being integrated, and not the entire DayZ game engine itself. Of course all that stuff is being improved from the mod in the over all DayZ engine.

Will new engines will fix this

66km27.jpg

WrZbn2.jpg

Edited by BugZ

Will new engines will fix this

66km27.jpg

WrZbn2.jpg

That's an issue to do with collision so I'm pretty sure the new rendering won't help that. Once they fix the collision on the zombies (so they don't go through walls, doors, and floors) , that's probably around the time you won't be seeing that anymore.

• Like 1

I didnt want open new topic. I want to ask will we see bullet wounds on bodies in future ? if we will not see why ? Bullet wounds wıll really make big diffrence of realism. Can someone say me is it possible bullet wounds tecnically ? Is it depends on engine ?

But we arnt. Because even with a new renderer without optimized server calculations, networking, and client server, client client, information sharing your still not going to have a smooth good looking game. Graphics and shaders are still dependent on the underlying architecture that handles the game.

But we arnt. Because even with a new renderer without optimized server calculations, networking, and client server, client client, information sharing your still not going to have a smooth good looking game. Graphics and shaders are still dependent on the underlying architecture that handles the game.

Why are all these people who have no idea what they're talking about coming in here and insisting they do?

OP made a thread asking if certain graphical improvements will be made capable by the new renderer. Absolutely none of that which has to do with the networking aspect of the game. Graphics and framerate are not reliant on networking. They are mutually exclusive and completely different subjects - please don't confuse them. Graphical quality and networking are two different planets. The only place they'd intersect in this case is the amount of zombies onscreen - if you consider the # of something onscreen to increase the graphical fidelity of something.

• Like 2

Why are all these people who have no idea what they're talking about coming in here and insisting they do?

OP made a thread asking if certain graphical improvements will be made capable by the new renderer. Absolutely none of that which has to do with the networking aspect of the game. Graphics and framerate are not reliant on networking. They are mutually exclusive and completely different subjects - please don't confuse them. Graphical quality and networking are two different planets. The only place they'd intersect in this case is the amount of zombies onscreen - if you consider the # of something onscreen to increase the graphical fidelity of something.

Err... did you read the op? 

Graphics and framerate are not reliant on networking. They are mutually exclusive and completely different subjects.

Actually, client/server communication ( which is also a part of the engine ) is often the bottleneck when it comes to FPS. The client can't render and calculate what the server isn't telling in time.