A.Jones

i persoanlly would love to see third person removed entirely

Can't stand the clunkiness of first-person ARMA2' date=' I've played in third-person since OFP.

Removing an optional feature because of a loud minority who believe a few of the people who use it somehow have an edge in combat (You can't have an edge in combat when everyone has the option to use the feature you believe grants the edge.)

If you still believe you can, I'll argue that any out of game VOIP software, which I also use, is also exploiting.

Generally I'm inclined to believe it's the principle of naysayers saying "I don't use "A" and some people may use it to exploit, so remove "A""

[/quote']

I STRONGLY AGREE with you. everyone has it so everyone can use it play how you want but dont complain that it is unfair if you also have the ability to do so.

campers can hide unseen and everyone else can peak around corners unseen

the game is much more playable in 3rd person, the following post explains it well:

I'm a big advocate for realism. And I support 3rd person and crosshairs being enabled.

They help simulate a physical sensation: propriocepital and kinesthesial awareness. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proprioception

This is the sense of where your limbs are. If I'm playing DayZ and want to prone around corner and if I'm stuck in first person, I don't know where my feet are going to be. Third person lets me know my feet aren't going to be poking around the side. This is also true when I'm hiding under the boughs of a pine tree.

And I've held and shot a lot of weapons in my time. I have a gist of where the weapon is pointed that's more specific than "foward." Maybe removing the central floating crosshair would be appropriate, but showing the player where the barrel is pointed is something that holding the weapon would communicate in a way that SEEING the weapon simply doesn't.

So, yes, of course 3rd person lets you see around corners (which is cheap; I'm not arguing that it isn't) and the crosshairs let you hip shot with certain guns more accurately than normal (which isn't realistic), but I don't think removing them is the way to resolve the issue.

This is a repeat thread' date=' by the same people, it's not an exploit. It does not enable you to get any more or less "loot" than anyone else, regardless of server.

I've put forward arguments in your other threads about this, and you just ignore anything that refutes your completely fucking retarded claim that 3rd P is an "exploit".

STFU, this is the game, if you don't like perhaps you should (as your fond of saying) Play something else.

[/quote']

It is obviously not an exploit, but a lot of the posters are arguing that first person suits the DayZ style of game much more. You ARE at a disadvantge if you don't use third person in a third person enabled server as it does provide an unrealistic view of your surroundings..

Imagine the increase in those OOHH SHIT moments you get as you and another survivor bump into each other whilst crouch walking around a corner. By being in third person this encounter is already unrealistically premeditated.

In saying that, being able to see more of your surroundings does give you a better chance to see other survivors who cannot shoot at you (because you are around a corner etc) and in turn there is a chance to communicate.

It's just a setting, something that a lot of people like having in the game, there is a group that do not want it.

There are servers that allow it, there are servers that do not allow it.

To me this seems the way it should be, player choice on the level of (perceived) realism.

To force others to play "my way" is just arrogant and holds no purpose that I can see.

The link for a "scrub" describes this very well, so much so that I just have to quote some for those those that CBF clicking the link :

A Scrub is a player of a competitive video game who adamantly believes that his or her "house rules" should apply to everyone to promote his or her view of "fair play". If a scrub sees a move or strategy he doesn't like (or can't beat), he bans it (if only in his own mind), and complains that anyone who uses it is cheap.

The Scrub will often consider the tactics that he bans "Game Breakers". However, what constitutes a Game Breaker varies from person to person. Within a particular skill level, a game can be broken in that a simple repetitive tactic can lead to success. A more skilled player could stop it, but if it requires a great deal more skill to stop the tactic than to perform it, then it can easily appear to be a Game Breaker.

What ultimately makes the Scrub undesirable isn't the rulesetting; it is the attitude. Players will often agree to refrain from using certain moves or from selecting certain characters so they can have fun without investing a lot of time into learning the game. The Scrub, on the other hand, believes that his way is the only proper way to play the game and refuses to acknowledge that the game could be more fun any other way.

That's only parts of it, but for those who don't want to go to the link and read the whole thing it should provide the jist of it.

wouldn't care either way. If you really care that much, play on hardcore servers but yeah, I sometimes agree that first person only is the way to go.

3rd person is like realistic and stuff, it like helps people see around corners and stuff.

Get rid of that shit.

Can't stand the clunkiness of first-person ARMA2' date=' I've played in third-person since OFP.

Removing an optional feature because of a loud minority who believe a few of the people who use it somehow have an edge in combat (You can't have an edge in combat when everyone has the option to use the feature you believe grants the edge.)

If you still believe you can, I'll argue that any out of game VOIP software, which I also use, is also exploiting.

Generally I'm inclined to believe it's the principle of naysayers saying "I don't use "A" and some people may use it to exploit, so remove "A""

[/quote']

I STRONGLY AGREE with you. everyone has it so everyone can use it play how you want but dont complain that it is unfair if you also have the ability to do so.

Difference being, if im backed into a building, against a wall, or inside a building, being in 3rd person has no benefit to me, but it has great benefit to the guy outside that, who can see me while i'm unable to see him, even with the same feature.

It's a crutch mechanic for people who want a leg up on the competition, and it's just another thing to make the server listing process look even more like garbage and fragment the community even more. Lock 3rd Person, get rid of crosshairs and name tags. Poof, the game just got 10% better.

It's a crutch mechanic for people who want a leg up on the competition' date=' and it's just another thing to make the server listing process look even more like garbage and fragment the community even more. Lock 3rd Person, get rid of crosshairs and name tags. Poof, the game just got 10% better.

[/quote']

If a scrub sees a move or strategy he doesn't like (or can't beat), he bans it (if only in his own mind), and complains that anyone who uses it is cheap.

Just pick a server with it off... 3rd person is great - you just prefer a different play style, so go and play it and stop trying to ruin other peoples fun because your not having any.

Have you never played any other fps game? Like ever?

ones that relied on persistence as a core mechanic of gameplay and offered servers that max at 50 slots?

nope

(i really hope you're not trying to suggest that dayz's online situation is even remotely comparable to any other major market fps)

Major FPS? No, otherwise DayZ wouldn't have it's own niche. Games with server-specific persistence for numerous players? Certainly. Mount and Blade: Warband's aptly named mod "Persistent World" has so-many thousands (around 10k) of players, and no where near as many servers has are available in DayZ. It has 19 total. Meaning it has a very high player concentration. That mod is an equally, if not more complicated RPG.

I only use third person and would stop playing if it was disabled.

Don't be such a drama queen. That goes for everyone in the thread.

Third-person isn't an exploit. The loot is the same everywhere. There is no massive gain in wealth due to using third-person. The only advantage it gives is the ability to see around you a bit more. Any ArmA vet will have already checked the places in first-person that a person using third-person would be keeping an eye on anyway.

campers can hide unseen and everyone else can peak around corners unseen

the game is much more playable in 3rd person' date=' the following post explains it well:

[b']

I'm a big advocate for realism. And I support 3rd person and crosshairs being enabled.

They help simulate a physical sensation: propriocepital and kinesthesial awareness. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proprioception

This is the sense of where your limbs are. If I'm playing DayZ and want to prone around corner and if I'm stuck in first person, I don't know where my feet are going to be. Third person lets me know my feet aren't going to be poking around the side. This is also true when I'm hiding under the boughs of a pine tree.

And I've held and shot a lot of weapons in my time. I have a gist of where the weapon is pointed that's more specific than "foward." Maybe removing the central floating crosshair would be appropriate, but showing the player where the barrel is pointed is something that holding the weapon would communicate in a way that SEEING the weapon simply doesn't.

So, yes, of course 3rd person lets you see around corners (which is cheap; I'm not arguing that it isn't) and the crosshairs let you hip shot with certain guns more accurately than normal (which isn't realistic), but I don't think removing them is the way to resolve the issue.

THIS

That's like saying they should remove pvp entirely.

LOL. I love seeing these threads. Best of luck with this mate. THis will never happen your like the 30th person to suggest this worthless horse shit

LOL. I love seeing these threads. Best of luck with this mate. THis will never happen your like the 30th person to suggest this worthless horse shit

Maybe it will. :)

No, keep 3rd person, this game isn't FULLY realistic. I can't see shit when prone in first person, but in real life I could lift myself up a bit on my elbows, only way to do it in this game is to crouch.

Third person does a much better job of giving the player realistic human awareness, despite it giving you a raised camera. -- Much better than the awful "horse-blinders" style of seeing that first person gives, anyway.

I would like to see it go. I enjoy playing on servers that have it disabled because it puts everyone back on the same fair playing field. Of course I use it from time to time if they server has it enabled because I assume EVERYONE is using it there, why should I be at a disadvantage?

It's great playing on servers with it disabled, so much more intense when you have to use Q and E to lean around corners to try and get a view. The whole 3rd person view to look around corners, stalk other players etc is to me kind of unfair and does not need to be in this mod.

I vote for it's removal... Where is the poll so we can get some votes goin? :)

I would like to see it go. I enjoy playing on servers that have it disabled because it puts everyone back on the same fair playing field. Of course I use it from time to time if they server has it enabled because I assume EVERYONE is using it there' date=' why should I be at a disadvantage?

It's great playing on servers with it disabled, so much more intense when you have to use Q and E to lean around corners to try and get a view. The whole 3rd person view to look around corners, stalk other players etc is to me kind of unfair and does not need to be in this mod.

I vote for it's removal... Where is the poll so we can get some votes goin? :)

[/quote']

Then stay on 3dp:off servers? Its not that hard.

How about we make 3dp:only and 3dp:off servers so its all fair.

I do generally try to stay on servers that have it disabled. However I more often than not join the server with lowest ping (makes a huge difference for me to join a server that will be fast and responsive)

Like I said If the server has it enabled, I will use it (I don't keep it on all the time) If I need to. But I can easily live without it and I see the huge advantage it gives to people that use it...

It's basically playing a game where people set difficulty to normal then you come in and set it to easy for yourself and give yourself a handicap :)

I could easily live without it and I would prefer for it to be gone rather than having to watch the server title to see if its enabled or disabled

I don't know about removing it entirely, but I can understand the concerns. Personally, the only time I'll switch into 3rd person is if I'm doing something that's liable to make me dizzy or puke if I keep it up too long. That is, rolling while prone and using Q/E. Seriously, that is the single most disorienting thing in ArmA 2, for me.