A.Jones

i persoanlly would love to see third person removed entirely

Honestly I think this option is perfect as it is - a server option. It doesn't give any particular player an advantage in the global perspective because everyone on the server has the same option.

It's not like you can take your '3rd person ability' from server to server.

This seems moot, if you don't like 3rd person and/or playing with people who play 3rd person choose another server.

I play both, depends on what server I'm on at the time.

please turn 3rd person off

i love not being able to tell whether im in the crouch position or standing straight. it's so realistic, nobody knows what the fuck their body is doing in real life!

I think the idiots that post these threads don't actually realise that if someone has this 3DP 'advantage' then so do they. If you don't like it, play a server with it off. Incidentally you're the minority so sit back and enjoy the ride.

I think the idiots that post these threads don't actually realise that if someone has this 3DP 'advantage' then so do they. If you don't like it' date=' play a server with it off. Incidentally you're the minority so sit back and enjoy the ride.

[/quote']

No it pretty much boils down to "I like to play this way so everyone else should also. All dissenting opinions are invalid, stupid, and immoral so you have no right to have them". Much the same as how politics has become.

I dont like how you cant lift your head up without 3p on. Its like your head is stuck to the ground.

I play in 3rd person because 1st person makes me nauseated after a few minutes. The vision is too narrow and unstable in first person - couple that with all of the collision issues and it really helps to see your character.

Like someone else said' date=' in real life I can also watch my feet.. turn my head, shift my eyes. Real life arguments are never applicable in a video game.

[/quote']

Turn off head-bobbing and double-tap "-" on your numpad. There, your problems are gone and can now go back to not using exploits to play.

I'm trying the x2 num - and it isn't toggled even though my controls have it set to be D:

Doesn't work with snipers and maybe some vehicles.

You can turn your head and look at your feet in the game too, it is called freelook, and in combination with 3rd person is an exploit, that is the primary reason we are calling to have it removed.

A game will never give you the same perception as real life, but arma does it very well, just learn the controls, and the function of periphery dots.

I think the idiots that post these threads don't actually realise that if someone has this 3DP 'advantage' then so do they. If you don't like it' date=' play a server with it off. Incidentally you're the minority so sit back and enjoy the ride.

[/quote']

As has been said about a million times (and clearly you are the idiot here),

the advantage IS NOT the same for both players, as depending on positions in 3d space, one can see around corners and through windows without revealing any part of their body, and the other not.

You do know that intelligence is also a minority trait right? As is relative skill. Since when is the 'majority' right?

A game will never give you the same perception as real life, but arma does it very well, just learn the controls, and the function of periphery dots.

You are seriously going to sit there and say that 3rd person is an exploit but the dots are totally legit? Really? Those dots are way more exploitable than 3rd person is.

"Oh look a barn I need a weapon so i'll go in. First let me look to the left a bit, oh look two dots appeared a ways up the side of my screen. Guess that means there are two zombies on in there on the second or third floor waiting to ambush me where I have absolutely no business know that they are there. Think I will just bypass this barn instead."

This just highlights an internal inconsistency to your position.

This thread and any complaint like it wouldn't exist if each server was a private hive

servers that handled hundreds or thousands concurrently in say world of warcraft still had long queues times at peak hours

now you want to try and apply that to a 50 slot server?

really?

I play in 3rd person because 1st person makes me nauseated after a few minutes. The vision is too narrow and unstable in first person - couple that with all of the collision issues and it really helps to see your character.

Like someone else said' date=' in real life I can also watch my feet.. turn my head, shift my eyes. Real life arguments are never applicable in a video game.

[/quote']

Turn off head-bobbing and double-tap "-" on your numpad. There, your problems are gone and can now go back to not using exploits to play.

I'm trying the x2 num - and it isn't toggled even though my controls have it set to be D:

Doesn't work with snipers and maybe some vehicles.

You can turn your head and look at your feet in the game too, it is called freelook, and in combination with 3rd person is an exploit, that is the primary reason we are calling to have it removed.

[/quote']

As has been said about a million times (and clearly you are the idiot here),

the advantage IS NOT the same for both players, as depending on positions in 3d space, one can see around corners and through windows without revealing any part of their body, and the other not.

You do know that intelligence is also a minority trait right? As is relative skill. Since when is the 'majority' right?

Your calling him an idiot, so what are the people then that can't grasp the fact that there are servers running with 3rd off? Sounds to me people want it removed because they are too lazy to traipse through the server list.

3rd person's extra awareness barely makes up for the real situational awareness you have in real life. 1st doesn't have peripheral vision for one thing. For another, sound in real life gives you much more locational information than games do, especially an alpha mod with, shall we say somewhat placeholder sounds at the moment that are poorly implemented regarding direction and distance. Not to mention the annoying screen shaking of 1st.

There are plenty of 1st only servers, play on those if 3rd offends you so much.

Your calling him an idiot' date=' so what are the people then that can't grasp the fact that there are servers running with 3rd off? Sounds to me people want it removed because they are too lazy to traipse through the server list.

[/quote']

Not at all, it is about having foresight for a stable and fair game where players can use exploits on one server to amass loot and goodies, then hop onto a realism server and ruin the game balance for everyone who actually plays seriously and fairly.

You can understand that right?

Especially if this is to be released as a final product.

I only play on expert servers, apart from last night when I wanted to play on a full server for some action, as I was getting bored and found things too easy, and was killed by a hacker. Those are the kind of people that 3rd person attracts.

Lol another 3rd person thread. Seriously stop wasting people's time and get on a veteran server with 3rd person off...

3rd person's extra awareness barely makes up for the real situational awareness you have in real life. 1st doesn't have peripheral vision for one thing. For another' date=' sound in real life gives you much more locational information than games do, especially an alpha mod with, shall we say somewhat placeholder sounds at the moment that are poorly implemented regarding direction and distance. Not to mention the annoying screen shaking of 1st.

There are plenty of 1st only servers, play on those if 3rd offends you so much.

[/quote']

I have heard that argument many times, and it is nonsense. It gives you an unrealistic level of vision that can be exploited at times that your opponents cannot use in the same way, so is certainly not a level playing field as some seem to think. I find the sounds to be accurate enough, especially with my setup. The screen shaking is nauseating i'll agree, which is why anyone who plays this game turns it down or off, under 'head bob'. The freelook key gives you all the situational awareness you need, as do the dots that represent peripheral vision. It is simply a case of learning the engine, and using third person will mean that you don't acquire key skills. Learn how to play in first person, and you will have a massive skill advantage over one of these new guys who uses 3rd.

I help run a unit for the game, and our pilots are the very best around, they never use third person, and understand that a skilled pilot has no use for it. The excuses for infantry are even weaker. Give it a try and see. And turn head-bob off, seriously. That was there for promotional footage, not actual gameplay.

Anyone who ever took this game series seriously stands by the first-person-only adage. Apart from those unfortunate few who never really understood what the game was about, or immersion and/or realism in general.

servers that handled hundreds or thousands concurrently in say world of warcraft still had long queues times at peak hours

now you want to try and apply that to a 50 slot server?

really?

Have you never played any other fps game? Like ever?

I have heard that argument many times' date=' and it is nonsense. It gives you an unrealistic level of vision that can be exploited at times that your opponents cannot use in the same way, so is certainly not a level playing field as some seem to think. I find the sounds to be accurate enough, especially with my setup. The screen shaking is nauseating i'll agree, which is why anyone who plays this game turns it down or off, under 'head bob'. The freelook key gives you all the situational awareness you need, as do the dots that represent peripheral vision. It is simply a case of learning the engine, and using third person will mean that you don't acquire key skills. Learn how to play in first person, and you will have a massive skill advantage over one of these new guys who uses 3rd.

I help run a unit for the game, and our pilots are the very best around, they never use third person, and understand that a skilled pilot has no use for it. The excuses for infantry are even weaker. Give it a try and see. And turn head-bob off, seriously. That was there for promotional footage, not actual gameplay.

Anyone who ever took this game series seriously stands by the first-person-only adage. Apart from those unfortunate few who never really understood what the game was about, or immersion and/or realism in general.

[/quote']

That was a well reasoned and articulate post. I will take up your suggestions for my session tonight. I wasn't aware you could turn that head bobbing off, that could make all the difference.

Have you never played any other fps game? Like ever?

ones that relied on persistence as a core mechanic of gameplay and offered servers that max at 50 slots?

nope

(i really hope you're not trying to suggest that dayz's online situation is even remotely comparable to any other major market fps)

I'd rather server owners continue to decide the view settings, that we get some options.

I don't mind first person, but it feels extraordinarily clunky in some situations and starts to give me a headache if I want to play for a long session. Definitely prefer 3DP for my cross-country trekking. (And yes I have headbobbing and all that turned to minimum/off)

Can't stand the clunkiness of first-person ARMA2, I've played in third-person since OFP.

Removing an optional feature because of a loud minority who believe a few of the people who use it somehow have an edge in combat (You can't have an edge in combat when everyone has the option to use the feature you believe grants the edge.)

If you still believe you can, I'll argue that any out of game VOIP software, which I also use, is also exploiting.

Generally I'm inclined to believe it's the principle of naysayers saying "I don't use "A" and some people may use it to exploit, so remove "A""

Can't stand the clunkiness of first-person ARMA2' date=' I've played in third-person since OFP.

Removing an optional feature because of a loud minority who believe a few of the people who use it somehow have an edge in combat (You can't have an edge in combat when everyone has the option to use the feature you believe grants the edge.)

If you still believe you can, I'll argue that any out of game VOIP software, which I also use, is also exploiting.

Generally I'm inclined to believe it's the principle of naysayers saying "I don't use "A" and some people may use it to exploit, so remove "A""

[/quote']

Indeed, and the most ridiculous part of it all - these people are actively choosing to play in servers with it turned on!

I believe the correct term for them would be...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Scrub

Don't like it? Use the plethora of servers with it disabled.

Gonna have to chime in..

There is absolutely no doubt that first person is much more immersive and makes you shit bricks. Often at times I will delibrately play first person, on a third person enabled server to get that feeling of reality. I believe that most people defending third person know this but feel more secure with third person viewing.

I agree with the original poster, get rid of third person, makes no sense.

3rd person is amazing dont hate on it. i cant stand 1st person i get a massive headache and my eyes start to hurt when i play in 1st person.

This is a repeat thread, by the same people, it's not an exploit. It does not enable you to get any more or less "loot" than anyone else, regardless of server.

I've put forward arguments in your other threads about this, and you just ignore anything that refutes your completely fucking retarded claim that 3rd P is an "exploit".

STFU, this is the game, if you don't like perhaps you should (as your fond of saying) Play something else.

Stop trying to force the whole gaming community to play "Your way" or nothing. The people who like 3rd P are in the majority, so maybe YOU should play their way ? -

OR

Both sides can STFU, and you play on whatever server that has the setting you like....