What is the community consensus on the current hand-to-hand combat? I've always thought a CQC system a la Metal Gear would be awesome, but I'm a huge MGS fan and heavily biased. I know there's been talk of ways of non-lethally incapacitating players, and I think some type of grappling system would be awesome. I imagine a scenario where you are taken hostage by a group of people and someone gets too close with their back turned, being able to put them in a choke hold and use them as leverage to escape or as a human shield. What do you guys think?

• Like 1

Meh, I prefer to just hit people and zombies with axes/hammers/garden implements etc...not a fan of XXYYO button mash "COMBO BONUS!!!!" gameplay.

• Like 2

We are already can non-lethally take them down. We have sacks, ropes, and handcuffs. It's a BDSM all-you-kill buffet.

We are already can non-lethally take them down. We have sacks, ropes, and handcuffs. It's a BDSM all-you-kill buffet.

I'm aware of that, I'm talking more about hand-to-hand combat in a situation where you don't already have a player subdued in some way.

I think it would be really difficult to implement.  I've never seen that elaborate of a system in a multiplayer game on this scale.  With all the laggy/desync stuff going on, I think it would just lead to frustration in fights.  People already warp around a lot close range, and even if such a move were relegated to being only possible from behind, you're going to have players warping behind you and putting you in choke holds.  It's already frustrating enough when you get knocked out by a guy punching, because he's sliding all over the place.

It would be kinda cool if they could make it work, but I doubt it's going to happen.

I still get my MGS fantasy fulfillment by knocking out guys with my fists as a fresh spawn, taking their guns and killing them and their buddies though.

I think it would be really difficult to implement.  I've never seen that elaborate of a system in a multiplayer game on this scale.  With all the laggy/desync stuff going on, I think it would just lead to frustration in fights.  People already warp around a lot close range, and even if such a move were relegated to being only possible from behind, you're going to have players warping behind you and putting you in choke holds.  It's already frustrating enough when you get knocked out by a guy punching, because he's sliding all over the place.

It would be kinda cool if they could make it work, but I doubt it's going to happen.

I still get my MGS fantasy fulfillment by knocking out guys with my fists as a fresh spawn, taking their guns and killing them and their buddies though.

I tend to agree with the difficulty of implementation. I doubt it's going to happen as well, and desync would cause major issues. Back when I played the mod I used to pick up my friends who were unconscious and the desync would cause all sorts of goofy shit to happen. I still have high hopes for this game and hope by the time full release rolls around it will be a polished enough product for this sort of thing to work and be balanced.

I would like to see more "strikes" implemented in combat, to give a wider range of options in CQC. For example, take a splitting axe. You can swing it, to hit the enemy with the edge/blunt side, you can thrust with it, to push the enemy away to get more room for a swing/knock them off balance, or you could hook a limb, to trip them or disarm them.

I would like to see more "strikes" implemented in combat, to give a wider range of options in CQC. For example, take a splitting axe. You can swing it, to hit the enemy with the edge/blunt side, you can thrust with it, to push the enemy away to get more room for a swing/knock them off balance, or you could hook a limb, to trip them or disarm them.

I think that would be interesting as well, and would add an element of versatility to choosing a melee weapon. Rather than choosing a melee weapon based on how much damage it can inflict, choosing one that has attack options that fit your play style, such as having a knife for fast access and the ability to be coupled in hand with a pistol.

They're implementing ragdolls eventually and being able to drag people again, so maybe part of that system could open up some more options.

If nothing else, I'd like to see hide bodies option potentially removed, and instead having to drag a body.

• Like 3

They're implementing ragdolls eventually and being able to drag people again, so maybe part of that system could open up some more options.

If nothing else, I'd like to see hide bodies option potentially removed, and instead having to drag a body.

yes

the melee weapons as they are now are not worth picking up, fists are ultimatively stronger

for example, with a baseball bat you need four swings to the head to kill a zombie, with fists you need to punch him about six times, but thats accurate and way way faster

knocking out players as well, fists are the most powerfull option there, though a hammer or baseball bat or shovel should one-hit KO you, no question

also it would be nice to be able to switch to fighting stance with melee weapons through clicking with the mouse, just like raising your gun is

Edited by Zombo

Tbh I'd love the similar system Chivalry has ;] 

Damn, it would be cool to have a skill based melee combat.

the melee weapons as they are now are not worth picking up, fists are ultimatively stronger

for example, with a baseball bat you need four swings to the head to kill a zombie, with fists you need to punch him about six times, but thats accurate and way way faster

knocking out players as well, fists are the most powerfull option there, though a hammer or baseball bat or shovel should one-hit KO you, no question

also it would be nice to be able to switch to fighting stance with melee weapons through clicking with the mouse, just like raising your gun is

Plenty of reasons to have an axe or a knife or a pickaxe, since they're needed for more than just melee combat and an axe is still better than fists, so is the pickaxe.

Sadly, I don't think melee combat will ever feel good in this game

Fists are next to useless against motorcycle helmets though, so against players some of the melee weapons are still better in that regard.  Overall though I agree, fists are probably best if they don't have a helmet

I've been using a bat just for fun, it's pretty shit for sure, but there's something extremely satisfying about it when you do get a guy =P  Like getting a home run.

I 1 hit knocked out a sniper the other day with my bat, it was a total fluke and I have no idea how it happened, I can only presume he must have already been really hurt/high shock some how.

No idea what is CQC and MGS.

Taking hostages is a completely useless feature imo, because it is used by 1-3% of players, and working on it when we have lots of unfinished, bugged etc features, that would be used by almost all players makes no sense to me.

Edited by So Sexy

I've been using a bat just for fun, it's pretty shit for sure, but there's something extremely satisfying about it when you do get a guy =P  Like getting a home run.

I 1 hit knocked out a sniper the other day with my bat, it was a total fluke and I have no idea how it happened, I can only presume he must have already been really hurt/high shock some how.

i think baseball bats are even better for knocking out people, but im not sure

close quarter combat and metal gear solid

Taking hostages is a completely useless feature imo, because it is used by 1-3% of players, and working on it when we have lots of unfinished, bugged etc features, that would be used by almost all players makes no sense to me.

I believe one of the purposes of this forum is to float ideas and talk to the community. No one here except you has proposed the idea that the dev team prioritizes hand-to-hand. What do you mean by "it is used by 1-3% of players"?

I don't know what CQC is, but in term of melee combat (many moons ago) in one of Rocket's Twitch streams he discussed the idea of implementing a similar close combat style to that used in Chivalry. How, when or even if it ever gets to that point is obviously based on many things and to be honest the devs clearly have a lot to do before that however just for those who haven't seen Chivalry here is a you tube..

I'm aware of that, I'm talking more about hand-to-hand combat in a situation where you don't already have a player subdued in some way.

punches, punches are the only way as of now, but its a good placeholder if there were to be this kind of thing

I too am a huge MGS fan. Got all of the games. However, I don't think it'd work for SA. Maybe a special instant KO animation that only works when a player stands still for 2-3 secs and you're behind him the entire time would work. I don't see how intricate hand-to-hand combat can be implemented without any (perpetual) issues.

Edited by The End.

not before whipping and flogging is in...

I too am a huge MGS fan. Got all of the games. However, I don't think it'd work for SA. Maybe a special instant KO animation that only works when a player stands still for 2-3 secs and you're behind him the entire time would work. I don't see how intricate hand-to-hand combat can be implemented without any (perpetual) issues.

The talk about reworking the UI and replacing the renderer makes me hopeful that more intricate combat will be plausible, but I agree that in it's current state it wouldn't work.

What is the community consensus on the current hand-to-hand combat? I've always thought a CQC system a la Metal Gear would be awesome, but I'm a huge MGS fan and heavily biased. I know there's been talk of ways of non-lethally incapacitating players, and I think some type of grappling system would be awesome. I imagine a scenario where you are taken hostage by a group of people and someone gets too close with their back turned, being able to put them in a choke hold and use them as leverage to escape or as a human shield. What do you guys think?

I'm huge fan of MGS but I doubt it would work out. Hit boxes + lag + CQC animation = Bad. Would be cool if it worked though.

mgs-cqc-o.gif

Maybe one day I can strike fear into those bandits, with my Iron Grip!...

DUDELOL.gif