Toxiic (DayZ)

Lack of squad combat- Discuss

I've been playing DayZ Mod, as well as SA, since their respective release. My favorite thing about the DayZ is the squad combat, most prevalent in the northern parts of the map. Running through the Stary area looking for snipers or groups of other players was what made the game great. Unfortunately, when I play SA I don't experience this thrill. Now when I am in the Stary area, even NWAF I rarely see other players. Even on 40 player servers it seems like I can play for a week and only see two people. Its got to the point that I would rather be running around Elektro handing out baseball bats and watching fresh spawns beat each other to death for beans... I think the biggest cause of this lack of traffic up north is due to the lack of loot in Stary Sobor. Stary used to be the centralized point of the map, the point where most people went to get medium level gear before moving on to higher loot locations like NWAF, Devils, or NEAF. In my opinion the lack of a central hub creates little incentive to go north and play at a higher level.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        I would be interested to hear anyone else's thoughts and opinions, feel free to discuss. 

This has been destroyed by Berezino spawns and Military spawns on the shore. Unless those two things are removed, the north will remain desolate.

Something I thik monkeys are making decisions on SA....

I'm pretty sure it's because most of the spawn points are on the eastern portion of the map at the moment. Not 100% sure, but most of my spawns have been on or near the east coast. 

That's why when I want to gear up without dealing with the bandits in Berezino or Svetlojarsk, I just make the trip to Balota, Cherno or NWAF. I've only came across like 4 people total in those areas in the last 3 days playing. And that is on servers with minimum 20 people on at any given time.

Western Chernarus is quite nice this time of year...

• Like 2

I agree. The lack of loot in the more centralized areas of the map is what causes less incentive to go there.

It is way too easy to get good gear on the coast and NEAF is way too easy to access. I can understand and am not by any means criticizing the airfields on the southern and eastern coasts as it adds a lot of fun combat situations, however I'm mainly looking for that in the middle of the map where it's basically a high stakes game of Russian Roulette rather than being killed and running directly back for your gear.

The way to fix this is definitely to add spawns in the center of the map, as easy as that.

I agree. The lack of loot in the more centralized areas of the map is what causes less incentive to go there.

It is way too easy to get good gear on the coast and NEAF is way too easy to access. I can understand and am not by any means criticizing the airfields on the southern and eastern coasts as it adds a lot of fun combat situations, however I'm mainly looking for that in the middle of the map where it's basically a high stakes game of Russian Roulette rather than being killed and running directly back for your gear.

The way to fix this is definitely to add spawns in the center of the map, as easy as that.

Sigh no. Remove Berezino spawns, remove military loot from shores and south.

Fixed.

Having spawns mid map would just make the map feel even smaller.

What is this with military spawns on the coast?  What are people calling military spawns?  The only thing in the game that currently falls under "military" is the M4.  Yes they appear in the school, but it is easier to run to NEAF to try and score one.

Obviously they are playing around with spawn points while in alpha mode , it's as simple as that. Msta seems to be my new top spawn on exp.

• Like 1

What is this with military spawns on the coast? What are people calling military spawns? The only thing in the game that currently falls under "military" is the M4. Yes they appear in the school, but it is easier to run to NEAF to try and score one.

Military i.e barracks, ATC tower even the police station.

Well where are the ATC towers other than the airfields?  

I think the number one reason everything is happening on the coast is the spawn points.  You still can't get a fully fitted M4 without making the run on airfields or Vybor.

I've been playing DayZ Mod, as well as SA, since their respective release. My favorite thing about the DayZ is the squad combat, most prevalent in the northern parts of the map. Running through the Stary area looking for snipers or groups of other players was what made the game great. Unfortunately, when I play SA I don't experience this thrill. Now when I am in the Stary area, even NWAF I rarely see other players. Even on 40 player servers it seems like I can play for a week and only see two people. Its got to the point that I would rather be running around Elektro handing out baseball bats and watching fresh spawns beat each other to death for beans... I think the biggest cause of this lack of traffic up north is due to the lack of loot in Stary Sobor. Stary used to be the centralized point of the map, the point where most people went to get medium level gear before moving on to higher loot locations like NWAF, Devils, or NEAF. In my opinion the lack of a central hub creates little incentive to go north and play at a higher level.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        I would be interested to hear anyone else's thoughts and opinions, feel free to discuss. 

its more likely that people just dont want to go up north. if you want to deathmatch you need to go to where the people are playing, not cry on the forums for the devs to move the people to you.

Yea, it's not clear which it is you want.  If you want to find squad combat, go to the "triad" (Berezino, Svetlo, NEAF) and you will find squads to fight. If you want people to migrate en masse north, well you just can't completely control that.

Yea, it's not clear which it is you want.  If you want to find squad combat, go to the "triad" (Berezino, Svetlo, NEAF) and you will find squads to fight. If you want people to migrate en masse north, well you just can't completely control that.

Yes, what is the point of having a 100 square km map if only 3 square km are populated. You're logic only furthermore proves that the map, as well as spawns needs more fixing.

No, I'm just saying, if you want to find squad combat, it is available. It appears it is just not happening where you want it to. With such a huge map, there will be areas that are more sparsely populated, its unavoidable. If the goal is to find other groups to fight, concentrating people into a smaller area actually would seem to increase you chance of finding it. Spreading everything out to an even dispersion would make it LESS likely to find.

its more likely that people just dont want to go up north. if you want to deathmatch you need to go to where the people are playing, not cry on the forums for the devs to move the people to you.

First off, where "people are playing" happens to be the most deathmatching, seeing as anyone with a pistol can kill 10 people as soon as they spawn. Secondly, posting a constructive thread on the discussion forums for the game is not in any way crying. If anything whining about people making relevant discussion seems more like crying.  

First off, where "people are playing" happens to be the most deathmatching, seeing as anyone with a pistol can kill 10 people as soon as they spawn. Secondly, posting a constructive thread on the discussion forums for the game is not in any way crying. If anything whining about people making relevant discussion seems more like crying.  

relevant discussion? you just want people to be moved to where you want to play. that is not relevant discussion.

No, I'm just saying, if you want to find squad combat, it is available. It appears it is just not happening where you want it to. With such a huge map, there will be areas that are more sparsely populated, its unavoidable. If the goal is to find other groups to fight, concentrating people into a smaller area actually would seem to increase you chance of finding it. Spreading everything out to an even dispersion would make it LESS likely to find.

In my opinion, squad play inland provides a much more strategic and engaging experience rather than spawning, getting a gun, kill two people, die then repeat. The game was made to survive, not to run around Berenzino deathmatching. Although I disagree with your justification of the current build, I understand why it may be engaging to other gamers. 

relevant discussion? you just want people to be moved to where you want to play. that is not relevant discussion.

I'm discussing the fact that probably 5% of the whole map is being populated because deathmatching is so popular. The only thing detracting from a relevant discussion is your ignorance. You have the most recent posts on about 5 other threads in this sub forum. I understand that you're thirsty for posts, but if you can't actually add to the discussion I don't know why you even bother to post. 

I'm discussing the fact that probably 5% of the whole map is being populated because deathmatching is so popular. The only thing detracting from a relevant discussion is your ignorance. You have the most recent posts on about 5 other threads in this sub forum. I understand that you're thirsty for posts, but if you can't actually add to the discussion I don't know why you even bother to post. 

that is bs. i run into people all over the map. i can see through your crap, you just want people to be moved to where you want to play, plain and simple. people are going to play where and how they want to, nothing is going to change that.

Edited by hellcat420

that is bs. i run into people all over the map. i can see through your crap, you just want people to be moved to where you want to play, plain and simple.

Haha, you're taking this a bit too serious. I'm simply trying to discuss the game. If you can't keep this civil I don't think you should be involved with this thread.

Haha, you're taking this a bit too serious. I'm simply trying to discuss the game. If you can't keep this civil I don't think you should be involved with this thread.

if you cant handle how sandbox games work i think you should play something else. i will give you one bit of advice tho, if you want to find people who are playing all over the map dont join high pop servers. stick to medium pop or lower servers.

Edited by hellcat420

What is this with military spawns on the coast?  What are people calling military spawns?  The only thing in the game that currently falls under "military" is the M4.  Yes they appear in the school, but it is easier to run to NEAF to try and score one.

The map is what? Like 15 km across? The neaf is probably only 1-2 km inland, pretty close to the coast, very short run from some coastal spawns.

at some point this community is going to have to break from its realism hype and make the game a little more fun

i like what breaking point did with its humanity system

tbh i cant tell you the number of times i teamed with someone in that game, but in dayz its just shoot shoot shoot...

and people are discussing whether or not to have text with walkie talkies? i dont see why it could possibly be a bad thing

side chat is a great tool to help make people feel like the server is alive, and can help people group or even hunt down bandits, but only if done right

Edited by Hi Im Brad

There are people everywhere, but there are a lot of people concentrated at Berezino, NEAF, and the East coast. If you are in a big squad, you probably don't see people because they are hiding. I know if I see 5 guys with guns running towards me I will be sitting behind the closest bush.

The map is what? Like 15 km across? The neaf is probably only 1-2 km inland, pretty close to the coast, very short run from some coastal spawns.

The last time I was playing regular with my group (the steadily refuse to play hardcore) we went to the neaf. We found no one in like 40 minutes. The server was a 40 and completely full. I even jogged the whole length of the landings strip shooting into the air and yelling for ppl to kill me - I was alone. Now I normaly don't do that, but I was pissed of and don't really care about my regular char. It seemed like the neaf was simply too far away, no one left Berezino. It's just a big cirlcle jerk there. The weapons ppl have are also fun and they don't mind dying in 10 min. intervals, the will immediatelly spawn there again and can fistfight a geared player. If they die, hey, who cares, spawn there again... Makes the game easier, no need to find food, if you find something, that's just a bonus. Broken legs? Surely there is someone that will shoot you... spawn again...ppl actually proudly put vids on youtube with 30 minutes of that gameplay and 4 or 5 deaths. I like dayz so much because the life of your char actually matters, after all you put all that time into it. But others obviously think differently.

Now on hardcore the last time I watched the neaf, I saw ppl every few minutes - a server with only 20 ppl. When I move farther west, which I really like to do, I get a real problem. The unlooted towns are all fun and daisies, but it get's boring pretty fast. Now if I find someone there, chances are, he is not alone, but I actually stumbled across a real squad of good players. And I am all alone...

I really think it is smarter for me as a lonely soul to not seek out the biggest, baddest squads I can find on the map. Now if I could only get more ppl in my group to play hardcore.

Also, the map is not done yet, always remember that. The big ass new town in experimental blew me away. If you find a Mosin there or somewhere else, you have a great weapon for under 150m with iron sights. You don't really need to go to the nwaf. So how all those new towns are introduced, why go further?