Raoul9753

Nighttime in this game is horrible

Hello there

The Gamma Exploit is "unfixable"

There are some things that can be done to alleviate the issue but if someones wants to turn it up they will.

What needs to be done, and is (will be) underway, is to make night pretty and useful enough for people not to want to Gamma up.

In A2 single player, I did Gamma UP but in A3 due to the lovely night I dont.

It wont stop everyone but it will deter many.

Rdgs

LoK

Easily fixable. Disable the damn option.

Easily fixable. Disable the damn option.

Hello there

Then folk would just use their GFX card gamma. How do you disable that?

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

You sure it is unfixable? The work done in Arma 3 concerning this seem to be rather effective as far as I understand it.

Hello there

Making night prettier and less suseptable to the gamma trick is doableish, but you cant stop folk still adjusting it. Either through GFX utils or their monitor etc.

Rgds

LoK

for sure gamma exploit cant be fixed but it could be made infinitely less simple and convenient to do. As it is now it doesn't even feel like your exploiting as the game makes it so easy to do. If it was a pain to do and the game made it clear it didn't want you to then many people would stop it and as long as a critical proportion of the community stop doing it the problem largely goes away. Never underestimate the power of inconvenience to produce behavioral change. 

p.s. i LOVE the night as it is and on a night with no moon you really cannot see ANYTHING.

Hello there

Then folk would just use their GFX card gamma. How do you disable that?

Rgds

LoK

It's more of a pain to minimize each time you wanna use it. Plus it would affect everything, not just the game. Removing the option is the best way of limiting numbers of these exploiters.

I hate to derail this tread to the gamma track, but anyone not using it would still be at a massive disadvantage regardless to how pretty the nights were made to look.

maybe flares could be extra bright to "blind" gamma users into submission? I'm just spit-balling here, but a similar trick worked for people with night vision In the mod.

I like night in dayz, realistic, especially in forest.I've been in one in the night and even after an adaptation for your eyes, you can't move safely, too dark, and no way to see someone unless if just beside you (and even there...). When clouds cover the star/moon (and they often are in dayz, unless you disable them), you don't see shit.
As for gamma exploiting, I made a post in the suggestions which would punish those who run around all seeing when it's pitch dark, and give an advantage using lights. http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/196859-fighting-gamma-exploit-tripping

Gamma is the problem child at the moment

Haved you tried this in the current experimental build? I tried it last night and it was pitch black with it up.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, devs needs to turn on the dang street lights. It'll only effect cities and places with street lamps so it's not like it's OP or anything.

They used to have alight or two on in 3PP, but now nothing. I don't get it. 

Night time is pretty atrocious .

I got a taste of night time on the EXP servers after about 5 minutes I was like nope this sucks.

This is very disheartening to read and may be the final nail in whether I keep my server up. No offence but this is actually kind of bullshit to those who pay good money to rent servers as this is a game breaking exploit and it's more of a slap in the face to know that Bohemia won't or can't fix it.

Then please, call it quits, move on, and find a hobby that you aren't so personally invested in.

Simply put (as has been stated many times), there's nothing to stop people from adjusting gamma on their monitors themselves, or using their GPU controls to do it. Bohemia spending time "fixing" the problem wouldn't do anything to stop the people who abuse gamma, but would negatively impact those who have legitimately need it.

• Like 1

Hello there

Making night prettier and less suseptable to the gamma trick is doableish, but you cant stop folk still adjusting it. Either through GFX utils or their monitor etc.

Rgds

LoK

Well one simple thing to do would be to lock the game's gamma setting if you are in-game. It would at least prevent on the fly gamma adjustment in-game, which would get rid of most of the issue (seeing things that are not supposed to be visible)

• Like 1

Well one simple thing to do would be to lock the game's gamma setting if you are in-game. It would at least prevent on the fly gamma adjustment in-game, which would get rid of most of the issue (seeing things that are not supposed to be visible)

Hello there

There are ways to make it more inconvenient certainly, but it wont stop those who wish to exploit IMHO.

Hey, I might be wrong?

Rgds

LoK

I live 20 miles from the nearest town and even on a over cast night with no moon and stars I can see.

That's because it is overcast, 20 miles is not very far for light to travel.  I like the pitch black, when there is no moon that is and if you are in the forest.

I disagree that the Gamma exploit is not fixable, just change the scale that gamma can be adjusted.  Sure everyone's monitors are different, but the wide scale, with regards to brightness and gamma, could be tightened up a bit to make it less of an exploit.

As someone who has lived in northern Manitoba, Canada, I can tell you the night time you see in-game is incredibly accurate.

• Like 3

ya its accurate, but its a rather difficult to see(imagine that it being night) that's what people are talking about. i like it it adds to the game. i was chased by zombies because i could not see to shoot them had no battery's for flash light, not that i could see and shoot.

Honestly I really like playing at night. with my most enjoyable gunfights have all been at night I died in most of them but its still fun

Hello there

There are ways to make it more inconvenient certainly, but it wont stop those who wish to exploit IMHO.

Hey, I might be wrong?

Rgds

LoK

That's the idea, it's the game really that is the most important setting, if the night is pitch black (as in RGB 0,0,0) you can crank your display brightness all the way you want it is NOT going to make any invisible details appear, since your display will still receive black 0,0,0, it will just look grey. It's the game that decide of the colors to send to the graphic card, then the card, and then the display will apply correction in how they represent those colors.

So locking ingame gamma adjustment (settings menu) as long as you are connected to a server would mean that in order to change your gamma you would have to log out and then log back in. It's not perfect but it's mildly annoying, and it's all you need to get 90% of the gamma abusers to stop.

• Like 4

With light pollution.

je7xbeF.jpg

Without light pollution.

5B4UDbi.jpg

See the difference?

Unmonitored power plants shut down, maybe as fast as within hours or a day.

The moon:

Is not a static object in the sky. It sets and rises like the sun and depending on the calendar, it's surface is sometimes blocked by Earth's shadow. The moon doesn't actually glow, it reflects light from the closest star(The Sun). This star's light is very bight and close, it's light takes 8 minutes to travel to Earth.

The stars:

The second closest star's(Alpha Centauri) light takes more than four years to reach Earth, so at night without a moon or without light pollution, you actually need a night vision device, that enhances star light by 15,000-30,000 times, to use star light to distinguish objects on Earth's shadow side.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 1

Has anyone been using the flares BTW?  I loved using them in the mod, because they gave great light without having to carry them.  Can you even throw stuff in SA yet, just curious.

Has anyone been using the flares BTW?  I loved using them in the mod, because they gave great light without having to carry them.  Can you even throw stuff in SA yet, just curious.

I really miss them in SA.

I used flares to light to an urban area, I'd drop four or five, throw them far and just use the light from a far to see the silhouettes of the buildings, while the light would draw the zombies away. I'd the move in with a green chemlight to light up the ground, I was searching and then get the hell out of there in 2-3 minutes. If I encountered player activity, I'd drop the chemlight and head for the nearest treeline. 

With light pollution.

je7xbeF.jpg

Without light pollution.

5B4UDbi.jpg

See the difference?

Unmonitored power plants shut down, maybe as fast as within hours or a day.

The moon:

Is not a static object in the sky. It sets and rises like the sun and depending on the calendar, it's surface is sometimes blocked by Earth's shadow. The moon doesn't actually glow, it reflects light from the closest star(The Sun). This star's light is very bight and close, it's light takes 8 minutes to travel to Earth.

The stars:

The second closest star's(Alpha Centauri) light takes more than four years to reach Earth, so at night without a moon or without light pollution, you actually need a night vision device, that enhances star light by 15,000-30,000 times, to use star light to distinguish objects on Earth's shadow side.

You can say all this as much as you like but from a gameplay perspective, night time in Dayz isn't fun if it were fun people wouldn't gamma exploit. 

No, people gamma exploit because they can.

• Like 2

No, people gamma exploit because they can.

It's all opinion but I don't like night time because it's too dark and the small coned torch gives me a headache as do flares so speaking as a person who gladly uses the gamma exploit...it's because night is crap.