Sign in to follow this  
TonyMahony

Helicopter crashsites

Hi there,

still a dayz-noob I found this thread (http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/197039-m4-spawns/) and I read about the fact that the M4 will be spawned only at heli crash sites.

While reading that thread I believed that the Mod is meant here and not the standalone version, but I'm not sure.

So, please help me with my ignorance. ;)

- Is it true that the M4 can't be found in Airfields, Mil.Camps etc. any more?

- If yes, where are those heli crash sites. Are they positioned randomly or at fixed points on the map.

TIA for your help.

Tony

- Is it true that the M4 can't be found in Airfields, Mil.Camps etc. any more?

- If yes, where are those heli crash sites. Are they positioned randomly or at fixed points on the map.

Considering ScubaMan is part of the devteam one would think he's quite accurate with what he's saying publicly. I am going to assume that helicrashes are going to be distributed over the map randomly, which is why it makes them fairly hard to find / farm.

That's the reason why it only makes sense to have something like the M4 spawn there.

• Like 3

Considering ScubaMan is part of the devteam one would think he's quite accurate with what he's saying publicly. I am going to assume that helicrashes are going to be distributed over the map randomly, which is why it makes them fairly hard to find / farm.

That's the reason why it only makes sense to have something like the M4 spawn there.

Then the bandits will hopefully camp with their snipers there, instead of a airfield.....(prob not)

I'm at school and they've proxied Reddit, so I can't view the original Reddit file. However, last night I found an M4 and about 200 rounds of ammunition at Northwest Airfield. Is the helicrash-only thing about to be implemented or is this a bug in the system?

I'm at school and they've proxied Reddit, so I can't view the original Reddit file. However, last night I found an M4 and about 200 rounds of ammunition at Northwest Airfield. Is the helicrash-only thing about to be implemented or is this a bug in the system?

If this is true (and I hope it is) it will be experimental only, and I guess you played on a stable server?

Edited by Nesuma
  • Like 1

One good news... A step in the good way about making military weapons more rare.

I would like to see helicopters actually flying with AI pilots like in ArmA 2 - they could fly randomly over the map and then suddenly crash. Maybe even there could be some AI soldiers that survived crash protecting helicopter. Anyway, at least Mi-8's flying in 300 - 500 m would be interesting to see some times fly over me.

I would like to see helicopters actually flying with AI pilots like in ArmA 2 - they could fly randomly over the map and then suddenly crash. Maybe even there could be some AI soldiers that survived crash protecting helicopter. Anyway, at least Mi-8's flying in 300 - 500 m would be interesting to see some times fly over me.

Would be cool if they crashed and it wasn't just a random spawn location. 

• Like 1

That was a script that was added to the Mod. It wasn't in the "official DayZ vanilla" game.

That was a script that was added to the Mod. It wasn't in the "official DayZ vanilla" game.

I was talking about ArmA 2 military simulator with editor - you could easily set waypoints and fly height of helicopter. I don't know but maybe it wouldn't be hard task to add random flying helicopter from ArmA2 to DayZ.

One good news... A step in the good way about making military weapons more rare.

Provided the new AKM is only from crash sites, otherwise it will just be people finding AKMs instead of M4s at military bases...

Edited by Briljin

Provided the new AKM is only from crash sites, otherwise it will just be people finding AKMs instead of M4s at military bases...

This is exactly what has happened, pretty much all of the old m4a1 spawn locations have been replaced with AKMs.  Granted, the AKM actually makes a bit of sense showing up in the quantities that it is on exe compared to the m4a1...  In the end, I'd say "balance" is "worse" than it was prior.  The akm is more powerful than the m4a1, has a larger possible mag, has easier to aquire ammo, and only needs two attachments to turn it into a sniper rifle (pso, and a folding stock), where the m4a1 needs 3 (magpul stock, magpul grip, and an acog).  For this reason, I believe that the placement of the m4a1 at crash sites has far more to do with pseudo realism and immersion, than it does with balancing out an "over powered" weapon which is actually worse than the one that replaced it.

Edited by taco86

Any info on how many heli crash sites? Never seen one- Yesterday I went from north-south, west-east (avoiding roads), never saw one.

I already found a big flaw.

"A wild adventurer spots a plane crash on a open field,he runs to it with excitement,boom,get KOS-es(or camped)

A sniper can hide in the trees,or somewhere to overlook the heli crash,well,risks are risks

I would not say that's a "flaw"...  What you're describing is proper and acceptable behavior within this sandbox we call dayz.

If you're worried about someone sniping you when you move on a downed heli, try and clear some of the "ideal" sniper points in the area before hand.

• Like 2

I already found a big flaw.

"A wild adventurer spots a plane crash on a open field,he runs to it with excitement,boom,get KOS-es(or camped)

A sniper can hide in the trees,or somewhere to overlook the heli crash,well,risks are risks

Risk vs. reward has always been a theme of DayZ. That's the way it works.

I would not say that's a "flaw"...  What you're describing is proper and acceptable behavior within this sandbox we call dayz.

But if everyone just KOS-ed it would not be DayZ,I would be just another CoD game...

Most people play the game as if it was a CoD game anyway. There's hardly ever any interactions with other players (KOSing doesn't count) since most players kill on sight rather than trying to help each other even though they know everything will respawn eventually.

@NexusRoy - There's a map detailing the crash site locations.

Are these the same crash sites that are already on the DayzDB map? Or are they new locations?

2sb1po7.jpg

Found these two couple days ago.

• Like 2

Risk vs. reward has always been a theme of DayZ. That's the way it works.

The question would be, is it worth the risk if one can easily pick up an AKM from a military outpost instead?  Unless there is some kind of advantage to the M4 over the AKM...

Most people play the game as if it was a CoD game anyway. There's hardly ever any interactions with other players (KOSing doesn't count) since most players kill on sight rather than trying to help each other even though they know everything will respawn eventually.

Huh. My very first time with the experimental (current build) went like this:

- (fresh-) spawn about 600m NE of the ship wreck

- loot the wreck

- run into some guy who's also just started to play exp.

- we talk for while

- he leads me to the remains of some guy he just found

- no body but a green mosin w/o ammo and a backpack, both of which I take

- his friend shows up, we talk some more

- we stand around at the "exit" of the wreck and discuss what features to test first (hunting, bonfires, ???)

- a russian cowboy comes running towards us and asks if we want to make a bonfire

- he tells us what we need and luckily, we have the right materials

- he crafts the bonfire and lights it up

- cowboy wants us to pose for a screenshot

- we do and he bids farewell and went on his merry way

- we decide to look for animals to hunt and head out into the forest

- still within sight of the wreck, I get a weird bug where I can't move or open the inventory

- have to log out because nothing works

- can't log on again because the server is full (40/40)

Such is life in the zone...