qww

after death run back to storage ?

If spawns are completely randomized in the game's finished state, then I have no problem with you being able to access the storage of your previous character. If there is no "frequent" spawn locations, then people couldn't place storage containers so conveniently for their anticipated new spawn. I would say more often than not, you would spawn fairly far away from your storage, & that being said, this creates a fairly big time window for other players to stumble upon it & loot it before you can return.

Now if the game's finished state has a set amount of spawn locations, where players can more conveniently place storage for their next character, then I propose that you simply cannot access the storage of your previous character. If you have a buddy that wants to take out all of your storage & then drop it for you, then sure, by all means.

This is my best take on catering to both the "realism" & "balance" factors.

If spawns are completely randomized in the game's finished state, then I have no problem with you being able to access the storage of your previous character. If there is no "frequent" spawn locations, then people couldn't place storage containers so conveniently for their anticipated new spawn. I would say more often than not, you would spawn fairly far away from your storage, & that being said, this creates a fairly big time window for other players to stumble upon it & loot it before you can return.

Now if the game's finished state has a set amount of spawn locations, where players can more conveniently place storage for their next character, then I propose that you simply cannot access the storage of your previous character. If you have a buddy that wants to take out all of your storage & then drop it for you, then sure, by all means.

This is my best take on catering to both the "realism" & "balance" factors.

i wouldnt say we need true "random" spawn.. that is possibly in the woods to wander and get lost and starve, that'd be annoying. simply adding a variety of spawn to every single town and city on the map both inland and costal would make it vaired enough that you couldnt count on getting the spawn you want, nor could you just chain suicide to get it (easily atleast).

items magically disappearing into nothingness is more realistic than someone stumbling around in a forest and finding a camp with goods?

are you on acid?

and again, it's not like the tents fill up on their own, you still have to loot the things you put into them, its not even an issue like you make it to be

yeah cool man whatever you reckon, and no im not on acid..

i wouldnt say we need true "random" spawn.. that is possibly in the woods to wander and get lost and starve, that'd be annoying. simply adding a variety of spawn to every single town and city on the map both inland and costal would make it vaired enough that you couldnt count on getting the spawn you want, nor could you just chain suicide to get it (easily atleast).

Right, that's essentially what I meant. Not have a spawn at every X & Y coordinate, but disperse the spawns throughout the North, South, East, & West.

I also don't think you should be able to store "large" items, like rifles and axes and such. Ammunition, some food and water, gear (like matches and a compass) MAYBE a sidearm? Sure. But, stumbling across a tent stuffed with M4's and Mosins? No thanks. 

A tent would make a HORRIBLE storage device, BTW. Set up a modern plastic-sided tent in the woods and see how long it lasts

I am still against inland spawns. Any random/arbitrary advantage on inland loot, or persistent storage, is unacceptable to me. However, if spawns are to be inland, I'd want them to be city/town based, vice random all over.

The issue with the current paradigm is that, well, for one... we're only spawning near Berezino. But the main issue with coastal spawns, is that there's enough loot on the coast for folks to sustain themselves... and there's no risk other than players.

That needs to change. The overall loot bias needs to be geared inland, and places like Balota need to be moved inland. I think they should just replace Balota with an inland Stary Sobor analog near Guglovo.

Likewise, I'd like to see big cities be packed... absolutely packed with zombies, as to make it unwise/imprudent/insanely difficult for folks to loot without already being geared.

Edited by Katana67

Why is it stupid?

You want an easy survival experience and skip the (fun and tense part of) re-equipping?

Let's hear reasons.

Your joking right? Tents don't make the game any easier...there is over 2 fucking years of this implementation in the mod. It wasn't gamebreaking then or now. Nor did it mean you didn't have to trek out there, actually stash it with loot, risk dying again getting there or the possibility of it being looted. Tents don't let you re-gear easily,they allow you to store items you think you may need later, or that rare item you don't want to lose by it being on your person in the off chance you find that rare mag for that rare weapon you have stashed.

Any tent worth its salt is going to be out in the boonies, not fucking 5 mins from the coast, so it's not like you're skipping re-gearing because if it's not hidden well or out in the boonies it's GOING to be looted. So, you die, and now you have this long as trek across the map. If I didn't stop anywhere to get food or drink or basic equipment, I would DIE on my journey back to camp.

the way tents were in the mod was this,

you find a tent (you rejoice and get immediately paranoid of any one spotting you before you get to almost outside the map enough to place it safely where it wont get raided)

you place tent (tent is then also able to be dismantled to relocate if empty and you have not died)

tent is filled with gear as and when you find it and ferry it back

innevitably, you died, (zombies, player encounters, opening doors LOL etc.)

that tent is now unassociated with your new spawn character (so you now have effectively "lost" ownership of that tent, because you cannot dismantle it anymore)

at this point if you dont touch a tent for a given period of days, it is deleted from the server file

i really cant see a way to make persistent storage work other than this.

if this mechanic really is enough that some people will not play the game anymore, then yay for me, as i will not have so many moany everything has to be perfect and "realistic" players in my game anymore :)

Ninja Meh is pretty much spot on, but don't forget the step when placing it where you place it over and over and over being paranoid it's too visible and you can get it "just right" only to stick it too far into a tree and render it useless.

Tents were also pretty lethal themselves, I know I broke my legs and even died a number of times trying to access some really sneaky tents =P

Your joking right? Tents don't make the game any easier...there is over 2 fucking years of this implementation in the mod. It wasn't gamebreaking then or now. Nor did it mean you didn't have to trek out there, actually stash it with loot, risk dying again getting there or the possibility of it being looted. Tents don't let you re-gear easily,they allow you to store items you think you may need later, or that rare item you don't want to lose by it being on your person in the off chance you find that rare mag for that rare weapon you have stashed.

Any tent worth its salt is going to be out in the boonies, not fucking 5 mins from the coast, so it's not like you're skipping re-gearing because if it's not hidden well or out in the boonies it's GOING to be looted. So, you die, and now you have this long as trek across the map. If I didn't stop anywhere to get food or drink or basic equipment, I would DIE on my journey back to camp.

sorry but i dont see crossing the map as difficult, also i loot the airfields and mil bases daily, for fun, only on full servers.

having storage that you can return to , (easily..,) after you have just been killed,  makes dayz easy mode

Edited by qww

sorry but i dont see crossing the map as difficult, also i loot the airfields and mil bases daily, for fun, only on full servers.

having storage that you can return to , (easily..,) after you have just been killed,  makes dayz easy mode

We'll that's your opinion man, but evidence supports otherwise.

If they remove player base camps on death I'm gone, its the one thing that gives a feeling of progression in the game beyond that current life, and the stuff around the world shows how players impact that world if you take that away your breaking a massive part of the game.

I think the best solution to this would be ownership of camps, assume I have two tents and a campfire or some other bits, if my player dies then ownership of that camp would start to degrade over say 1 hour, during this 1 hour my new spawned character still owns the camp and if I make it back in time and interact with each object then I re-claim ownership of it, IF ... However my new player does not make it back to the camp within the hour then ownership of the tent's and stuff drops to abandoned, in this state ANY PLAYER who finds them can claim them and become their new owner, or just loot them and move on leaving them abandoned.

Things in the abandoned state would degrade over time eventually going to ruin and being removed from the server.

1 hour sounds long but its not , and its just long enough to allow players to put their camps way north west and still be able to make it back, this would or could promote people to find camps, kill the owner and then hold the ground for the hour so they can claim it for themselves, this could create some really cool group PVP.

There's only 2 options FULL STOP

1) Persistent storage after death - There is no other option because its unfair to solo players.

2) No persistent storage at all - also means no persistent anything to keep realism , bad for the game in many areas

Who cares whether persistent is realistic! For those that are seeking pure realism should get out in the real world more and experience it there!

• Like 1

Ok wow. I have a dumb question. I don't care about after I die it's a done deal. :lol:  What I wanna know is can you stash stuff in the server you are in and say have to log out go eat beans in real life or,go for the night etc :P  And come back in on same server and go find your hidden loot that you stashed somewhere?

How about just getting stuff and say you don't want a big backpack and have a spot where you can just stash stuff in the game to go back to. I think when you die in game thats it you lose everything and have to start all over. Thats the fun part. seriously I think some people take this game to seriously. :lol:  :emptycan: ^_^

Oh yas thanks Rocket for the good times. ;)

Edited by Sparkplug

Firstly surly the only way to capture realism is spawn on random server, one death = respawn on another random server that way there is no remembering where things are and no bumping into the same ppl (or getting killed again by same person) this would make each life a fresh run. This way storage/stash would be fine as the individual cannot return to it after death but it is there to be found by someone else.

That said I hate that idea. As this would mean not being able to regroup again (or join up) with friends - So way more realistic, but how far do you want to take it? As this sounds like a lot less fun to me.

Personally I like the idea of stashes even after death, but maybe on death each item in the stash is "rolled for" as to whether it is removed/lost so no guaranties it will be there (sort of partial stash remains) So you make a choice to head to that "rumoured" stash. 

The best option maybe to have thousands (i mean lots and lots) of server set stash locations that when a player dies any stashes he owns get relocated to a random server location, this way it can be found by accident by any player. Sort of like I would expect to find on occasion in the real world from time to time when scavenging/roaming.

For those saying it like easy mode I dont see the argument tbh, Dont use them if you dont want to, If other players use them it makes no difference to your game as encounters are random anyway so it makes no odds what gear another player has.

• Like 1

In the 'Normal' Sever, loot that gets put into Tents/Storages/Safes etc should stay there, although it can be looted by anyone unless it's Locked.

In real life if you put something in a tent, and die, that item is still going to be in the Tent - it doesn't disappear.

Yes, it breaks the realism of the game being able to go back to your Tent after respawning, but you would only bother going back if your actually close enough and then there's the risk and time involved going back to it, especially knowing someone else may have stumbled upon it and robbed it already.

Respawning is NOT Realistic. Items/Food Respawning is NOT Realistic - but unfortunately, this is a game and it has to be fair and give everyone the chance to find items.

In a Real Life Zombie situation, people would hide and squirrel supplies and that's what we should be able to do in game.

Edited by Andy Red

Hoping for tents or something similar to the Mod maybe even dig a stash. Make it small and 1 per char, Hopefully nothing like Warz storage system *Shudder*

Ok wow. I have a dumb question. I don't care about after I die it's a done deal. :lol:  What I wanna know is can you stash stuff in the server you are in and say have to log out go eat beans in real life or,go for the night etc :P  And come back in on same server and go find your hidden loot that you stashed somewhere?

How about just getting stuff and say you don't want a big backpack and have a spot where you can just stash stuff in the game to go back to. I think when you die in game thats it you lose everything and have to start all over. Thats the fun part. seriously I think some people take this game to seriously. :lol:  :emptycan: ^_^

Oh yas thanks Rocket for the good times. ;)

That's what the persistant storage is for.  It's for when you log out, not for each death but people can find your storage while your offline

This is one of those things that walks a thin line between "realism" and "balance."

It's not very "realistic" either way you cut it, because to my knowledge, reincarnation (i.e. spawning) isn't a factor in real life. So, any deletion or persistence of storage items is already inherently acting in an unrealistic manner. You're either deleting something that has no "realistic" explanation for disappearing from other players. Or you're leaving it there for someone who "remembers" where it is because they just respawned.

Either way is just as unrealistic as the next.

I just think it'll have to be addressed somehow. I'm not entirely opposed to deleting camps upon player death, but I want the ability for other players to stumble upon... and loot those camps. Perhaps a proximity deletion would be in order (i.e. if a respawned player comes close to his/her previous camp, it deletes... if not, it persists). However, there are also loopholes with that solution as well.

This was a major issue with the mod. People would make tents near the coast just to gear up upon respawn. There's no easy solution except by taking it to extremes. My idea was when a player picks a public server, he has to stick with it till death. Once he dies, he respawns on a different server. That way there will be no vehicles or tents to actually go back to. It'd probably be a lot of fun and actually add meaning to dying, but I doubt the devs would ever agree, as they don't get paid to swim in the communities tears.

Edited by Hikurac

This was a major issue with the mod. People would make tents near the coast just to gear up upon respawn. There's no easy solution except by taking it to extremes. My idea was when a player picks a public server, he has to stick with it till death. Once he dies, he respawns on a different server. That way there will be no vehicles or tents to actually go back to. It'd probably be a lot of fun and actually add meaning to dying, but I doubt the devs would ever agree, as they don't get paid to swim in the communities tears.

The big problem with that is it means you wouldn't ever be playing with friends when you died unless you'd joined the same server by chance. Also, it sort of forcibly dictates which servers get players and which don't (empty servers would take a long time to fill), in addition to removing people's preferred playstyles; Sometimes people don't want to play on max player servers, and they aren't always doing that simply to server hop for loot.

Respawning and re-looting is really a necessary evil, because the most practical solutions are really extreme and would cause their own problems. Your loot usually gets ruined when you're killed, and hiding stuff from other people is pretty difficult.

Even then, there's nothing stopping people from creating and locking their own public server that they store like 50 tents full of gear on and then moving to a different server, but I digress.

The big problem with that is it means you wouldn't ever be playing with friends when you died unless you'd joined the same server by chance. Also, it sort of forcibly dictates which servers get players and which don't (empty servers would take a long time to fill), in addition to removing people's preferred playstyles; Sometimes people don't want to play on max player servers, and they aren't always doing that simply to server hop for loot.

Respawning and re-looting is really a necessary evil, because the most practical solutions are really extreme and would cause their own problems. Your loot usually gets ruined when you're killed, and hiding stuff from other people is pretty difficult.

Even then, there's nothing stopping people from creating and locking their own public server that they store like 50 tents full of gear on and then moving to a different server, but I digress.

Yeah it's a terribly hard decision to make. Preferably I would rather have my system than re-spawning loot, however that's just me being greedy. As for the friends thing, lets say my system was active. When you die you can choose the server that you wish to play on. You and your friend both join and survive for days together. Through both of your actions, you have created storage, accumulated loot, and restored a vehicle. Playing like this would also mean the both of you would make surviving your utmost priority. Lets say you take a chance and try to loot a city, but your friend gets shot in the leg and is bleeding out. Your freaking out because you want to stay with your friend and if he dies, he will not be able to come back to this server. You manage to kill the attacker after a heated firefight and you patch up your friend. However he is pretty beat up and becoming ill. You scavenge for meds as hard as you can but find nothing. An hour of desperate scavenging goes by and your friend passes away. There you are, all alone in Chernarus with too much gear and time spent to prompt suicide.

When someone dies, you would truly feel that it is a loss. I think that would add a lot to DayZ in terms of emotion and actually making living a priority.

You think getting in a firefight is thrilling now? Can you imagine how it would feel when death actually has a cost to it?

Edited by Hikurac

Yeah it's a terribly hard decision to make. Preferably I would rather have my system than re-spawning loot, however that's just me being greedy. As for the friends thing, lets say my system was active. When you die you can choose the server that you wish to play on. You and your friend both join and survive for days together. Through both of your actions, you have created storage, accumulated loot, and restored a vehicle. Playing like this would also mean the both of you would make surviving your utmost priority. Lets say you take a chance and try to loot a city, but your friend gets shot in the leg and is bleeding out. Your freaking out because you want to stay with your friend and if he dies, he will not be able to come back to this server. You manage to kill the attacker after a heated firefight and you patch up your friend. However he is pretty beat up and becoming ill. You scavenge for meds as hard as you can but find nothing. An hour of desperate scavenging goes by and your friend passes away. There you are, all alone in Chernarus with too much gear and time spent to prompt suicide.

When someone dies, you would truly feel that it is a loss. I think that would add a lot to DayZ in terms of emotion and actually making living a priority.

You think getting in a firefight is thrilling now? Can you imagine how it would feel when death actually has a cost to it?

I will admit that those moments would be tense, but there are also times that it would get very annoying. Glitch deaths (accidentally running off of steps and dying, or zombies beating you through a wall), uneventful deaths (someone sniping you/your friend or generally interaction-less deaths) or even hacker kills (I've encountered few hackers since I've started playing, but they are there) would get more aggravating than intense.

I personally would love some kind of system like that to work, but it wouldn't sit well with me at the game's current stage (too many glitches, bugs, hacking is still notable, etc.) Maybe later on it could work, but that's for discussing then, and not now.

In before people start purchasing "storage accounts"

2 accounts

1 for action

1 for storage

Action account drops loot where storage account stays, storage account logs in, moves loot into tents, logs out.

Action account goes and dies, runs to where storage account stays, storage account logs in, removes gear from tents, drops on ground, action account logs back in and is fully geared.

Stop trying to fix what's not broken. People will always find a way to game the system anyway.

I have a friend who has 3 accounts and does exactly this.

Wow a lot of the "solutions" to this non issue would certainly effect lone wolf's and have absolutely zero effect on clans and groups. Me being the latter highly recommend that we don't penalise lone wolf play as they are already at a huge disadvantage. Whats the difference between someone running back to their base and someone running back to another place like NEAF, NWAF, Balotta, etc. 

I think people who are complaining about this have never played the mod cause once heli's are introduced persistent safe boxes will be the least of their worries lol.

Let me explain a situation to you that often happened in the mod.

1. We would get into a shoot out with another clan in the middle of nowhere.
  2. Someone would die
  3. We would send our heli to pick up respawned player
  4. In heli would be everything required to fuly kit up
  5. Player would parachute down to re-engage
  6. Rinse and repeat 

This would happen in a matter of 10 or so minutes depending on where the battle and respawn was. 

People need to realise that the "end game" of DayZ for a huge portion of players is to battle it out but any mechanics or structure we put in the game can't penalise one group of people.

Relocating tents - Absolutely stupid idea, you might as well make it disappear. Because it won't penalise the player you are intending on penalising, the will just grab gear from their team mates locker/tent therefore penalising the player who didn't die cause he now has to share his gear (not a biggy I know) and penalising people who play alone as they can't just grab gear from a mates tent.

Disappearing tents - See above, 

Cant use for certain period - Again as above

• Like 3