qww

after death run back to storage ?

i dont keep up with all the dev blogs and that, i just play the game. and read forum. so actually im a bit  suprised to read in forums today, it looks like in future , we will be able to die, and then run back to any location to get the storage container we saved before we died,

i thought dayz was a survival game, and i cant see how this fits into dayz sa concept.  because it destroys the value of a characters life, it makes it arcade style so you can just carry on with good kit.

i was hoping that as time goes on with the standalone , item spawning will be reduced, so its more difficult to stay alive, and items will have increased value because of this. so maybe it would make sense to be able to store items(while alive).

having said that, storage of items, that continues after you die, so you can just carry on the same life essentially, is not why i am playing dayz.

i dont fully dislike being able to store items, id store a different rifle and meds etc, it would be useful . although if i die, i think that my storage should disappear from the game too, to simulate me being a new character, and not knowing where some dead guy left his kit.

when you die you should start new, no storage container, no easy mode. just death, and new spawn. this would favour players who game with others, as the new spawn can get spare kit from the alive players storage, 

because of this, maybe the whole concept of item storage may not be good for the game, in my view.

i guess some people will hate what im saying, but i reckon some of the more simulator or "difficulty fan" players may know what i mean, or am i alone in wanting realism/authentic and difficulty on this storage subject? thanks for any constructive reply

Edited by qww
  • Like 3

This is one of those things that walks a thin line between "realism" and "balance."

It's not very "realistic" either way you cut it, because to my knowledge, reincarnation (i.e. spawning) isn't a factor in real life. So, any deletion or persistence of storage items is already inherently acting in an unrealistic manner. You're either deleting something that has no "realistic" explanation for disappearing from other players. Or you're leaving it there for someone who "remembers" where it is because they just respawned.

Either way is just as unrealistic as the next.

I just think it'll have to be addressed somehow. I'm not entirely opposed to deleting camps upon player death, but I want the ability for other players to stumble upon... and loot those camps. Perhaps a proximity deletion would be in order (i.e. if a respawned player comes close to his/her previous camp, it deletes... if not, it persists). However, there are also loopholes with that solution as well.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 3

are you saying that respawning is unrealistic? respawn is simulating a new person arriving, its not simulating reincarnation.

are you saying that respawning is unrealistic? respawn is simulating a new person arriving, its not simulating reincarnation.

Yes, but your avatar isn't remembering where your tent was. You are, the player, and that can't be changed. 

Simply by virtue of respawning, the entire idea of persistence is made "unrealistic." The only way it could be made realistic, is if you were forced to switch servers (i.e. worlds) when you die. Which isn't practical.

As I said, you're deleting something from the world arbitrarily (unrealistic). Or you're having something persist in the game world, which can be "remembered" after death because players can come back as many times as they can respawn (also unrealistic).

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2

Mann... What is the objective in live and death?

You need to create a base and etc for more fun...

And the other players can steal you i think...

How about extremely limited storage (say, a small backpack size) and only one stash per player? Perhaps have items degrade - over time - to a minumum of 'damaged' (not to badly damaged or ruined) to prevent players from dying and then being fully kitted out with pristine gear 5 minutes later. Perhaps certain items like, say, a plastic bag or tarp could slow the rate at which stored items degrade.

• Like 2

Camps that last have to built in obscure areas with little to no player traffic.

That means a big hike to get back to something that may not even be there anymore. That adds to the tension.

Anytime you are away your camp can be destroyed.

There is absolutely no long term survival goal without persistent camps.

They are the source of clan wars, pranks, late night raids.

I think people are forgetting theres only one way to die in dayz atm....other players.

When few angry zeds can actually kill you, or a car crash can lead to unconscious until it blows up, or you can crash the heli, or get run over.........or...or

OK iv run out for now but that's why we need persistent camps....yey put up a tent (maybe make 1 supply run)......YOLO bandit crew find you and kills you.....tent gets deleted....what was the point lol ;)

• Like 5

If respawning you consider a new complete person, then running back to your storage is stumbling upon a random tent/crate which a previous person had left there. It all depends how you look at it

• Like 3

Lol, if this is the route they are gonna go, that's pretty pathetic.  Why even bother adding in survival when it gets thrown right out the window with this bullshit?  I'll wait and see if this is what they have planned and if it is, see ya.  I'll wait till a game company can grow a pair of balls and create a decent survival game.

• Like 3

Yes, but your avatar isn't remembering where your tent was. You are, the player, and that can't be changed. 

Simply by virtue of respawning, the entire idea of persistence is made "unrealistic." The only way it could be made realistic, is if you were forced to switch servers (i.e. worlds) when you die. Which isn't practical.

As I said, you're deleting something from the world arbitrarily (unrealistic). Or you're having something persist in the game world, which can be "remembered" after death because players can come back as many times as they can respawn (also unrealistic).

yeah we cant have full realism, or noone would be playing any shooter game after they died....we need some game mechanics, and character respawn is much more important than item respawn, right?

If respawning you consider a new complete person, then running back to your storage is stumbling upon a random tent/crate which a previous person had left there. It all depends how you look at it

nah its not the same at all, because  yuo know where you are running, if someone else comes across your kit while your alive, no problem, .

new spawn running back to kit, knowing where they left it, is what i am talking about in topic.

have to say im not big on storage disappearing, as long as storage is balanced it should be ok.  such as backpack storage, you can store some food meds and even a sidearm, but you cant store a rifle in it

• Like 2

the point was dont get killed, dotn lose stash.

dont you get my topic at all?

Best solution:  30 min no loot timer.  

What this means is for 30 mins you cannot loot your corpse, your stash/container.  Simple fix.  Hell, I'd even bump it up to an hour.

• Like 4

yeah we cant have full realism, or noone would be playing any shooter game after they died....we need some game mechanics, and character respawn is much more important than item respawn, right?

Errr, I'm not sure what you're asking.

Yes, realism isn't possible. So we need to consider it from a balance perspective, vice a "realism" perspective as outlined in the OP.

Again, if you're deleting tents or having them persist... you're screwing somebody over (either the player [in not being able to re-gear from a previous life's storage container] or other players [in not being able to find and loot storage containers of folks who have died]).

• Like 2

nah its not the same at all, because  yuo know where you are running, if someone else comes across your kit while your alive, no problem, .

new spawn running back to kit, knowing where they left it, is what i am talking about in topic.

Yes but your new spawn still has knowledge of all the previous spawns. "I'm hurt. Need to go to the Hospital in Ber, but I'll need to watch out for that sniper hill where I died last time." You're playing the same map, with the same buildings, etc.

• Like 2

Errr, I'm not sure what you're asking.

Yes, realism isn't possible. So we need to consider it from a balance perspective, vice a "realism" perspective as outlined in the OP.

Again, if you're deleting tents or having them persist... you're screwing somebody over (either the player [in not being able to re-gear from a previous life's storage container] or other players [in not being able to find and loot storage containers of folks who have died]).

you said that they have to sacrifice realism in games, and gave player respawn as an example, so i ask whats more important, players respawning, or items persisting.

the obvious  answer is players, or there would be noone gaming after they died 1st time in a game.

deleting a players storage is not screwing anyone over, the player died, so  its game over, if they want kit, they should have stayed alive

if you see loosing your kit after dying as being penalised, then thats what im talking about as "players wanting easy mode" cause i dotn see it as penalising , i see retaining loot after death as easy mode, and making game pointless.

Yes but your new spawn still has knowledge of all the previous spawns. "I'm hurt. Need to go to the Hospital in Ber, but I'll need to watch out for that sniper hill where I died last time." You're playing the same map, with the same buildings, etc.

what does that have to do with running back to stashed gear that you can somehow remember location of after you die? nothign to do with it.,

• Like 2

Lol, if this is the route they are gonna go, that's pretty pathetic.  Why even bother adding in survival when it gets thrown right out the window with this bullshit?  I'll wait and see if this is what they have planned and if it is, see ya.  I'll wait till a game company can grow a pair of balls and create a decent survival game.

thats refreshing to see! someone knows what i mean, i thought all hope was lost ( i hope i understood you right and u agree with me haha)

Just make it possible to fully interact with other players storage devices. You should be able to loot other peoples tents or even outright steal them. So storage containers are just that - storage containers. If you find one you are lucky if someone finds yours you are unlucky - life is hard.

And if a bambi runs straight out of town after spawning just follow him to his hideout, put a bullet between his eyes and take all the delicious stuff.

• Like 1

you said that they have to sacrifice realism in games, and gave player respawn as an example, so i ask whats more important, players respawning, or items persisting.

the obvious  answer is players, or there would be noone gaming after they died 1st time in a game.

deleting a players storage is not screwing anyone over, the player died, so  its game over, if they want kit, they should have stayed alive

if you see loosing your kit after dying as being penalised, then thats what im talking about as "players wanting easy mode" cause i dotn see it as penalising , i see retaining loot after death as easy mode, and making game pointless.

I wasn't suggesting removing player spawning, though. So... I'm still confused as to what you're asking.

You're still not hearing me.

Deleting storage/persistent items on player death = Removing gear for players who would have come across your stash or who killed you to get to your stash

Keeping persistent storage/items = Allowing folks to re-gear (detrimental)

Both have serious negatives.

With one, you're arbitrarily removing items/structures from the game which would otherwise be available to others. With the other, you're allowing folks to re-gear.

What if you have a group storage.. You might die but the rest of your group still there and know where the storage is.  I agree that if your playing alone and you die your character should not know where the storage is.. But then you would have absolutely no advantage over a group.. you would be even more handicapped. When this is introduced and you try to build your self a base alone.. You will see why you will need a persistent storage. There will be a lot more KOS.. Go near someone's base.. you better believe they will gun you down before you have time to scout it.  Then what? restart all over.. and over and over? All you will do is run and loot..

Edited by DirtyWings

Best solution:  30 min no loot timer.  

What this means is for 30 mins you cannot loot your corpse, your stash/container.  Simple fix.  Hell, I'd even bump it up to an hour.

You play in a group, get someone in your group/team/clan to open it for you. Simple fix followed up by a simple bypass.

EDIT: Also if you delete that on death it will screw up the cycle yet again. You're getting raided or attacked by a group or even an individual, he kills you and what? Your container is gone so he only gets the ruined garbage off your back. Checkmate

Edited by Golden Child

thats refreshing to see! someone knows what i mean, i thought all hope was lost ( i hope i understood you right and u agree with me haha)

Perma-death means exactly that.  Not run back to corpse Diablo style

It worked fine in the mod.

What you need to realize is that tents don't fill themselves.

Let's look at the current lifespan of your average player.

Spawn in->Grab gear->Go pvp

Tents add another step in the process if you so choose of

Spawn->gear->fill tent->pvp

Filling tents means you're going to refrequent those hot spots, which leads to more activity, and more action.  Yes, you'll be able to skip the gearing up phase some times, but eventually you will run out of supplies and have to repeat the process any ways.  Also, depending how much storage they actually have, there's still basic necessities you will always have to meet.  In the mod typically you stored some guns/ammo and not a lot else, maybe backpacks or higher end nvgs that sort of thing.  You'll still usually needed basic food/drink clothing necessities.

The other thing is, at least in the mod, camps never lasted long.  The bigger your camp, the easier it was going to be found.  Hiding a tent meant putting it some where out of the way, which meant having to travel. (glitching tents aside)

Overall I just think there's more positives than negatives to storage.  It prolongs the activities you can do per life.  Myself and most of my group will happily work on filling a tent, which means making those journeys back and forth, where as now we reach that dead end of nothing to do per life much quicker.

Edited by Bororm

Anything that ties characters to a server, will help build community on the server, and thus be good.

• Like 1