r4z0r49

DayZ Mod 1.8.1

i did say think i wasn't sure if we did add it or not :-)

I can confirm that the count is in the description and it gives an accurate count. Does work. :)

Good news on the 1.8.2 release, though rather poignant, something of a swan song for the mod as a consistent game.

I wonder what will become of the DayZ mod now the public hive has gone for good.  Not entirely unexpected, though crushingly disappointing.  It was the only real anchor ensuring reasonable continuity and portability of the persistent game experience, which is a huge part of why I played so much for so long.  The ability to get rid of asshats and continue playing on another server was a hugely rewarding feature.

It's probably game over for me, apart from occasional trips to my own unmodified vanilla sandbox.  I don't want to invest time in a persistent game, when my efforts can be wiped out on a whim, having been through that nonsense often enough with private hives.  Unreliable, clumsily modified, mods replaced like cheap fashion ... and those dreadful admin cheat tools.  Not much of a recipe for a persistent game.

Alas poor Chernarus, I knew it, Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy ...

I second this statement with all my heart. It's very much the same for me.

i don't get it, what's the big deal of losing the hive? no more ghosting, farming on empty servers, probably less hackers and easier to find friends.

good admins/servers will stand and shitty ones fall.

what do we lose? the ability to transfer caracters between the 5 remaining servers? that would be positive for me...

or do i miss something?

• Like 7

i don't get it, what's the big deal of losing the hive? no more ghosting, farming on empty servers, probably less hackers and easier to find friends.

good admins/servers will stand and shitty ones fall.

what do we lose? the ability to transfer caracters between the 5 remaining servers? that would be positive for me...

or do i miss something?

I'll tell you why.

Reason #1. Continuance. You probably haven't played to become a high-humanity hero, otherwise you'd know what I mean. The satisfaction of saving a bambi from a pack of bandits, counter-sniping Elektro hill to keep the city safe, or rescuing a lone survivor calling out for help in the middle of Stary, used to be just priceless. For me DayZ is a lot about the humanity system, which only works if your long-term progress in the game is stored. That's what the hive did.

Reason #2. Reliability. Your favorite server is currently offline? Not a problem, just connect to another one from the hive and continue playing. That's not possible with private servers, because, well, you'd have to start afresh, losing all your progress (see 1). I can't invest hours and hours of play into a server that is suddenly shut down, taking my humanity to its grave. Or one that is not up exactly when I have time to play.

Reason #3. Diversification. From time to time I like to play first person only, or without side chat. Sometimes, I prefer to play with people with whom I can comfortably speak in my native language over voice chat, while other times I feel like hitting the international road on English servers. All that used to be easy to do with the hive: just change servers.

Reason #4. New people. Randomly running into strangers is one of the best features in DayZ, IMHO. Not knowing what they'll do or how they'll react. Showing fresh players around, teaming up with random dudes who might back stab you the moment you look the other way. This used to work great on the public hive, and I'm afraid it won't on private servers where most of the players are regulars organized in groups/clans etc.

Referring to your points:

"No more ghosting, farming on empty servers, probably less hackers": Ghosting hasn't been a big problem lately, I believe. In fact, I don't think anyone has ever ghosted on me. If they did, they did a horrible job at it (or I just changed my position too quickly ;-) ). Farming wasn't a problem for me either. If anything, it just meant more loot after you took a farmer down. ;-) As regards hackers: This is even an argument in favor of the public hive over private servers, IMO. Found a hacker? Just switch servers. On private servers, you're bound to hoping that an admin is around when you're playing (e.g., at 3 am).

"Easier to find friends": That's probably true, but finding friendship that lasts longer than a few hours is not what I'm looking for in DayZ.

"Good admins/servers will stand and shitty ones fall": I strongly doubt that. If it worked like that, it would have happened a long time ago already. It's not like the private servers came online only recently. There are too many kids out there who like to cause a mess just for the sake of what seemed like fun at a certain age.

• Like 6

I cant add any more that what is written above.

The public hive gave a very new experience to so many players.

dM

Edited by Drunkie

I'll tell you why.

Yeah, there are pros and cons to both public and private hive. Is there any statement on why Bohemia shut down the ph? Just because of the bucks?

I cant add any more that what is written above.

The public hive gave a very new experience to so many players.

dM

Well it's gone so either we see problems or possibilites.

What are you goona choose?

• Like 1

I'll tell you why.

Reason #1. Continuance. You probably haven't played to become a high-humanity hero, otherwise you'd know what I mean. The satisfaction of saving a bambi from a pack of bandits, counter-sniping Elektro hill to keep the city safe, or rescuing a lone survivor calling out for help in the middle of Stary, used to be just priceless. For me DayZ is a lot about the humanity system, which only works if your long-term progress in the game is stored. That's what the hive did.

Reason #2. Reliability. Your favorite server is currently offline? Not a problem, just connect to another one from the hive and continue playing. That's not possible with private servers, because, well, you'd have to start afresh, losing all your progress (see 1). I can't invest hours and hours of play into a server that is suddenly shut down, taking my humanity to its grave. Or one that is not up exactly when I have time to play.

Reason #3. Diversification. From time to time I like to play first person only, or without side chat. Sometimes, I prefer to play with people with whom I can comfortably speak in my native language over voice chat, while other times I feel like hitting the international road on English servers. All that used to be easy to do with the hive: just change servers.

Reason #4. New people. Randomly running into strangers is one of the best features in DayZ, IMHO. Not knowing what they'll do or how they'll react. Showing fresh players around, teaming up with random dudes who might back stab you the moment you look the other way. This used to work great on the public hive, and I'm afraid it won't on private servers where most of the players are regulars organized in groups/clans etc.

Referring to your points:

"No more ghosting, farming on empty servers, probably less hackers": Ghosting hasn't been a big problem lately, I believe. In fact, I don't think anyone has ever ghosted on me. If they did, they did a horrible job at it (or I just changed my position too quickly ;-) ). Farming wasn't a problem for me either. If anything, it just meant more loot after you took a farmer down. ;-) As regards hackers: This is even an argument in favor of the public hive over private servers, IMO. Found a hacker? Just switch servers. On private servers, you're bound to hoping that an admin is around when you're playing (e.g., at 3 am).

"Easier to find friends": That's probably true, but finding friendship that lasts longer than a few hours is not what I'm looking for in DayZ.

"Good admins/servers will stand and shitty ones fall": I strongly doubt that. If it worked like that, it would have happened a long time ago already. It's not like the private servers came online only recently. There are too many kids out there who like to cause a mess just for the sake of what seemed like fun at a certain age.

I completely agree.  In addition to this, the public hive ensured (for the most part) that there would still be servers running default settings.  I have *yet* to find a private hive where the admin was able to resist the temptation to make some sort of changes.  Long ago I started out as a PC gamer, then transitioned to consoles, and then back to PC when DayZ mod came about.  I have to say, with all the downsides that console gaming has, it's a DAMN nice thing to be able to easily jump into a multiplayer game within seconds of popping the disc in without worrying whether or not it's going to be low gravity, modded weapons, added vehicles, etc etc etc.  It seems that with any popular PC game it's only a matter of months before the game is so clouded with modded servers that someone has to become an expert on the game's ins and outs to be able to find a normal server to play on.  With DayZ mod private hives it's extremely difficult to find any server that stays true to the original game's settings.

• Like 1

In my experience the exhaustion time limit has not changed since 112555 so you still stay maximum exhausted until you stop moving, for X seconds and it slowly returns. It still takes like 20-30 seconds.

100% to recreate every time is this. 

Login to a 1.8.1   1.63/103718-125548 server. Stand still. Walk, or crouch slowly for 5-8 steps. Stop moving, and observe. You should notice your character is breathing heavily and at maximum exhaustion level ( maximum gun sway) and you have to stand still again to let it return to normal, only until moving again.

Play on a server with crosshairs so you can see it bobbling all over the place after you walk 10 meters. You don't need to run around in first person. Just MOVING at all triggers maximum exhaustion. It takes literally 10 seconds to see it happening.

I've been out of town so I'm a bit late to the game, but I can confirm that YES, it is reproducible 100% of the time on 1.8.1 on various A2OA patches.  The best way to see this is with a scoped sniper rifle.  Run or walk a short distance, zoom in, and your crosshairs will be violently shaking to the point that you cannot make a shot.  It takes 20-30 seconds for it to settle down.  Once it settles down, if you go prone then stand back up or even walk a few steps side to side while aiming down sight the shaking will come back.  This is accompanied by heavy breathing which used to only used to happen after running a considerable distance on previous versions of DayZ.  If you don't have a sniper rifle join a server with crosshairs and simply click and hold the right mouse button to zoom in and see the crosshair dancing around (this even works with the circular reticle that is used for road flares).  In previous versions of DayZ, you had to run a fair distance for the shaking to be an issue, and it would subside in a much shorter time (10-15 seconds if I had to guess).  You could walk, crouch walk, and even crouch run short distances without the shaking coming back which made it possible to reposition for a sniper shot while in a fight.  As it is now you can't move more than a foot or two without having to wait for the shaking to subside again.

Side note:  While I agree with Borges that this is probably the single most frustrating but I have experienced in the last year and a half, I would most definitely not call 1.8.1 a "broken" patch.  I personally rather enjoy the the difficulty of the zombies.  I have yet to see the highly exageratted claims of zombies hitting from "10 meters away", and I like the fact that they can KO you in a few hits.  It's what makes this game so intense now!  The challenging zombies and the changes to the nutrition and medical systems have improved DayZ mod tenfold.  It's now the best it's ever been IMO.

I'd say the three things that need to be addressed ASAP are these (some of which have already been mentioned in the change log):

• exhaustion bug
  • blood transfusion glitch (transfusion fails, player loses blood bag and transfusion kit)
  • humanity gain for full blood transfusion is 25 instead of 250
  • Like 2

Would it be possible to have limits on the humanity? Maybe like -750 to 7,500? Right now it seems really off..

The hive is dead nothing we can do about it. 

• exhaustion bug - I haven't had time to look into this yet

As for release of 1.8.2 i was told last week and then Sunday when i chased i was told Monday I just don't have time atm to keep messaging ppl over and over. So i really have no idea whats going on. I'll pm again now before i go to bed (Dam Night Shift) and see whats said (if i get time) when i wake up other wise ill report in the morning tomorrow.

Keep up the excellent work, R4Z0R49 and team! The community lies in your hands right now!

We should all face the grim truth that the mod will lose grounds to Standalone sooner or later and might well recede into being a niche with few servers. (DayZ Vanilla, that is)

Of cause this is just an educated guess but switching off the Public Hive may just be the first step. Maybe the running costs of the massive PH and turnover from Arma2 sales just didn´t cut the meat anymore. The hype is over, the market has been saturated for quite a time now.

And I really hope to be proven wrong. Please.

Keep up the excellent work, R4Z0R49 and team! The community lies in your hands right now!

We should all face the grim truth that the mod will lose grounds to Standalone sooner or later and might well recede into being a niche with few servers. (DayZ Vanilla, that is)

Of cause this is just an educated guess but switching off the Public Hive may just be the first step. Maybe the running costs of the massive PH and turnover from Arma2 sales just didn´t cut the meat anymore. The hype is over, the market has been saturated for quite a time now.

If I remember correctly the public hive was hosted by HFBservers which is not out of business and I'm guesig thats why it's now dead.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly the public hive was hosted by HFBservers which is not out of business and I'm guesig thats why it's now dead.

Really? I did not know that! Makes me happy in a way.

On a second thought, someone had to pay for the PH and I don´t think that it was HFB themselves... moving such a big database from one server to another can be quite a hassle, so someone decided "Uuuuhm... no."

But this is all speculation and I think we might never find out.

Edit: aaaaand it´s totally off topic. ;)

Edited by dayzjarhead

Ok so Eugan is reporting an issue with steam yesterday that's why there was no release. He will try again today

Update still reports of steam issues. :-( 

I'll Contact again tomorrow.

• Like 1

Here are a couple issues I found..

• Having a hatchet in your toolbelt and on your back may break at the same time when you chop wood.
  • Some water wells don't work. I believe one of them is in Zelenogorsk.

• Some water wells don't work. I believe one of them is in Zelenogorsk.

You can use them while right clicking on an empty tin or soda can.

• Like 1

• Having a hatchet in your toolbelt and on your back may break at the same time when you chop wood.

I've noticed that if you have a 2nd hatchet on your tool belt and the one you're holding breaks, it automatically swaps them.  Confusing at first as your initial reaction is to put down the "broken" one that's in your hands and remove the "new" one from your toolbelt.  Be sure this isn't what happened to you.

It seems to me that currently there's only enough players interested in vanilla to fill about two or three 50 slot servers.  It seems to me that it may do the community good for the admins of all the vanilla servers to pool their resources to create two or three hived servers that are spaced geographically to accommodate players from around the globe.  Lock them all to the same timezone and (if possible by rigging server restart settings) make the day cycle at 19.5 hours instead of 24 hours.  That way people still get to play at night, you avoid the problem of everyone abandoning a night server and joining the daytime one, and people can experience a different time of day in-game every time they log in even if they can only play at the same time IRL from day to day.  If vanilla makes a comeback and it gets severely over crowded, add another server.  Create a community like BMRF did to get people interested in coming back, forming groups, rivalries, etc.

I've never admin'd any type of server so maybe this is a pipe dream, but a few jam packed full servers would be much nicer than over 1,000 empty servers.

• Like 2

Bullet_Catcher I'm all for a consolidated private hive. I haven't admin a server as long as few others I know but I've done it for over a year. Thus for me I'm willing to team with another trusted server admin willing to share a database.

Few things I would want:

Ability to have access to back ups (If I'm not hosting the database) in case the database dies.

Zero network issues with the hive database (If I'm not hosting the database).

Agreement we keep the experience consistent (anti-hack, configuration, etc...)

Sharing bans (maybe)

US 434 and 435 are located on the east coast of NA (Canada). Any other takers in other regions?

It seems to me that currently there's only enough players interested in vanilla to fill about two or three 50 slot servers.  It seems to me that it may do the community good for the admins of all the vanilla servers to pool their resources to create two or three hived servers that are spaced geographically to accommodate players from around the globe.  Lock them all to the same timezone and (if possible by rigging server restart settings) make the day cycle at 19.5 hours instead of 24 hours.  That way people still get to play at night, you avoid the problem of everyone abandoning a night server and joining the daytime one, and people can experience a different time of day in-game every time they log in even if they can only play at the same time IRL from day to day.  If vanilla makes a comeback and it gets severely over crowded, add another server.  Create a community like BMRF did to get people interested in coming back, forming groups, rivalries, etc.

I've never admin'd any type of server so maybe this is a pipe dream, but a few jam packed full servers would be much nicer than over 1,000 empty servers.

Probably the best post I've ever seen, ever.

• Like 1

The absolute best scenario would be if this became the new, unified face of vanilla DayZ rather than scattered people competing with each other for server population.  If vanilla DayZ has a presence, is backed by the mod devs, and builds a community, it may generate more interest.  I can't help but think that hundreds, if not thousands of people that tried to get into DayZ mod from early 2013 until now became quickly frustrated and disillusioned by only being able to find absurdly modified private hives and having to deal with the insane amount of hackers that were present at the time.  Most of those players probably gave up and uninstalled before they ever even experienced vanilla DayZ.

The hive is dead nothing we can do about it.

Please excuse my off-topic intervention, but this is so important to me that I can't resist.

Why is there nothing you/we can do about it? Please explain, I don't understand. Who hosted the hive? Why is it gone? Who had access to it? Why not create a new one? These are such simple questions, but so far I have been unable to find somebody that is willing or able to answer them... :(