Johnny_reb9

Trouble with racist names

Yep, I am allowing you to continue with yours, after all.

ah ok son,you keep believin that....

What matters? Leave people's ideologies alone if they're true and not for the grief.

I don't come to your house and smash your windows for being liberals & leftists.

Also, it's strange to hear this for someone who account's name is Johnny Rebel.

Look him up. 

I don't come to your house and smash your windows for being liberals & leftists.

That is a wrong analogy. It is the racists coming to your house spouting shit. You are well within your rights to kick them out if you don't like it (even in the US).

Edited by BadAsh
  • Like 3

What matters? Leave people's ideologies alone if they're true and not for the grief.

Look him up. 

Did I come in your house...no, are these ideologies true...no.

last I heard  rebel isnt a racist term 

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rebel?s=t

• Like 1

Look him up. 

I picked that as my real names john, I also live in the UK, As you know its the nickname of an confedarate soldier, at one stage i was in the army so the name kind of comes to light. This is not really about my name but the use of a racist name.

• Like 1

Racists, nationalists, ethnocentrists can keep it to themselves. Like religion, you have every right to hold those views and even express them in acceptable forums and spaces. Private property, whether real or virtual doesn't count as an acceptable forum or space.

Is there a difference between the thirteen year old giggling over the naughty word in their ingame name and the full blown skinhead using DayZ as a platform to advance their agenda? Maybe, but the results are the same.

With such a large community we are bound to share the DayZ world with many of both but we are under no obligation to be subject to their message under the guise of "free speech" or to tolerate "some random guy on the internet". That's why I don't attend nationalist rallies or backwoods redneck klan/'militia" meetings.

• Like 6

I'm not talking about rebels but about the musician Johnny Rebel.

Never heard of him.

I just looked him up, not my kind of music. I wouldnt even entertain that person or his songs.

Edited by Johnny_reb9

I'm not talking about rebels but about the musician Johnny Rebel.

whoever the hell that is. love how you avoided the rest of the comment

• Like 2

As I'm not a server owner I have not bothered to read the rules for hosting. But I do know that servers on the Public Hive must all follow the same rules. So unless the rules clearly state that people with racist names are not allowed to play DayZ, I do not see why they need to be kicked. If this was on a Private Hive then I would not care who was kicked or for what reason.

Also, regarding freedom of speech, that is just something I see as something all people should strive for.

How about we strive for not being racist assholes?

• Like 2

There is a Bad Name Filter, although I think quite a bit of the providers took it off including mine. ;_; Anyhoot, if you think your provider did not remove it then what you need to do is install BEC on your server. Then proceed to go to the BEC section of your server files/configs section and see if a config file called "Bad Name Filter" is there. If it is, then you just put in whatever you want to be considered hazardous and then click save and viola! Also, MAKE sure that your server is off before performing any config changes such as the Name filter thing.

• Like 1

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but... who cares?

I do. There should be no room for racists, nowhere!

Edited by Buffaloe
  • Like 2

Most of the time the people with these names are just trying to be 'funny' and are not actual hardcore racists, they are just trying to be 'funny' by having an 'offensive' name.

I really don't care when I see someone with such a name, as it is a poor attempt at a joke. Real racism, real sexism, that is a problem, but this is the internet and people just try VERY DESPERATELY to be 'funny'.

Offending names are kicked instantly with a message to change their name. If they come back they are kicked again, most eventually get the message and either change it or don't come back.

There is absolutely no need to have a naming convention that promotes racism, rape or anything else offensive. As an Admin deal with them quick and without hesitation. Nuff said.

There is no way to natively ban at the moment. There are supposedly 3rd party programs that allow it, but I don't have one- and not sure I would use it if I did.

Continue kicking, IMO. 

Who is your server host?

This is exactly what im talking about, names associated with pedophilia are fine, but as soon as someone mention nigger, all hell breaks loose.

Maybe if you just kick them right away with no warning, and keep doing it, they'll tire of it and go away?

Or they'll report his server and he'll lose it

This is exactly what im talking about, names associated with pedophilia are fine, but as soon as someone mention nigger, all hell breaks loose.

Who said they were fine? 

• Like 1

This again? You can kick people for being abusive/harassment, I'm pretty sure pedophilia-related playernames would fall under this, as well as racist ones.

It's not fine.

Or they'll report his server and he'll lose it

Not if he did it without breaking the hosting rules.

• Like 3

Who said they were fine?

Well did u read my thread, it got locked. Barely anyone posted and those that did, "who cares, its only a name" was their reply.

Not if he did it without breaking the hosting rules.

Right now it is very hard to prove kicking with reasons but I do agree with you.

Well did u read my thread, it got locked. Barely anyone posted and those that did, "who cares, its only a name" was their reply.

It's not just a name tho.  Have you ever heard of cyber bullying?  Kids have killed themselves because of shit like this.

Some people are saying the same in this thread, in case you didn't notice.

Still, what they think about the issue has no effect on the actual rules.

nope sure didnt.

It's not just a name tho.  Have you ever heard of cyber bullying?  Kids have killed themselves because of shit like this.

Im not disagreeing with you, but someone calling themselves "pedo4life" and "lockyourchildren" on the same server at the same time, in a game that kids play, is more of a concern than someone calling themselves nigger joe or white jim