Irish.

The Current State Of Development - DayZ - Understanding the Development Process

Of course, that's all fine. But there are a lot of people claiming that the game will never be finished, it's a scam, it should be done by now, it shouldn't have bugs in the alpha stage. This is all bullshit, not feedback.

yea i know there is a lot of moaning from all angles it must be hard for the developers to sift through all the crap sorry for been a bit aggressive with my ideas

• Like 1

the moaning is justified.

progress is slow even the most hardened Dayz fans dont even play it now and have moved onto free mods on arma 3 which lead the way now. giving players what they want NOW! thats the most relevant point , now.

what needs to happen now is get zombies buildings fixed get the core stuff done now. 6 months from now isnt good enough. in that extra 6 months time for eg arma 3 mods will be dar ahead. rmeember those mods are free vs a paid for game !

so while ive got a xombie who doesnt go through a wall with 30 of them im playing against 200 on a arma 3 mod with zombies that look as good and are better thats now ! not even in 6 months.

so yes not everyone is happy with the slow work being done. its not exceptable . more needs being done at a better level quicker.

the work thats being done now with the team size they have now and busget money studio behind them is what erks me to respond how i do. the work that is coming out is like a small modding team which isnt what they have now.

• Like 4

progress is slow even the most hardened Dayz fans dont even play it now and have moved onto free mods on arma 3 which lead the way now. giving players what they want NOW! thats the most relevant point , now.

what needs to happen now is get zombies buildings fixed get the core stuff done now. 6 months from now isnt good enough. in that extra 6 months time for eg arma 3 mods will be dar ahead. rmeember those mods are free vs a paid for game !

so while ive got a xombie who doesnt go through a wall with 30 of them im playing against 200 on a arma 3 mod with zombies that look as good and are better thats now ! not even in 6 months.

so yes not everyone is happy with the slow work being done. its not exceptable . more needs being done at a better level quicker.

the work thats being done now with the team size they have now and busget money studio behind them is what erks me to respond how i do. the work that is coming out is like a small modding team which isnt what they have now.

Um... yes actually, playing other games until this is finished is a good idea. Game development takes a long time

progress is slow even the most hardened Dayz fans dont even play it now and have moved onto free mods on arma 3 which lead the way now. giving players what they want NOW! thats the most relevant point , now. [...]

What mods you have in mind?

I gave this post my beans. Now this post has beans all over it, and due to some that dropped while opening, there's only 78% left.

• Like 1

If anyone could explain some things for me it would be greatly appreciated. I just started playing Day Z SA last week and haven't played any Arma games before.

I'm wondering how professional the Day Z SA team is and what the name of the company developing it is? When you start the game it says "Bohemia Interactive" but that is the company that develops the Arma series as far as I know.

I checked a bit online and I can't find a link between Day Z and "Bohemia Interactive" except that Day Z Mod was originally created in the Arma 2 engine. That doesn't make "Bohemia Interactive" responsible for Day Z SA does it? To what extent are "Bohemia Interactive" and Day Z SA linked together? I'm guessing "Bohemia Interactive" is their publisher but nothing more.

Lastly, how was Day Z SA financed to begin with? Today a lot of people have bought it through the early access but in the beginning where did they get or think they would get their money from?

Edited by Kefa

..//..

not everyone is happy with the slow work being done. its not exceptable . more needs being done at a better level quicker.

..//..

Hi,

What do you do for a living ?

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim

If anyone could explain some things for me it would be greatly appreciated. I just started playing Day Z SA last week and haven't played any Arma games before.

I'm wondering how professional the Day Z SA team is and what the name of the company developing it is? When you start the game it says "Bohemia Interactive" but that is the company that develops the Arma series as far as I know.

I checked a bit online and I can't find a link between Day Z and "Bohemia Interactive" except that Day Z Mod was originally created in the Arma 2 engine. That doesn't make "Bohemia Interactive" responsible for Day Z SA does it? To what extent are "Bohemia Interactive" and Day Z SA linked together? I'm guessing "Bohemia Interactive" is their publisher but nothing more.

Lastly, how was Day Z SA financed to begin with? Today a lot of people have bought it through the early access but in the beginning where did they get or think they would get their money from?

You need to do more research....

This is a rough timeline as I remember it...

Bohimia release  A2

Rocket and co make dayz mod

Bohimia offers rocket the chance to devlop a standalone version of his mod

They make an engine based off other bohimia angines

Here we are now :)

The initial money for the project was fronted by bohimia.....some would argue that a lot of that money was a direct result of dyz mod boosting A2 sales.

Bohimia is a studio not a publisher, they make all there own games in house as far as I know.

So yes Bohimia is responsible for dayz sa as I see it :)

Hi,

What do you do for a living ?

xx pilgrim

what relevance does that have to slow production on this game ?

the work rate is same as the mod almost.

we now have a bigger team 40 plis devs is it.a big sack of cash behind it a big studio that isnt small yet it churns out updates and prgress like its still a small mod. it isnt small its had the money and the backing .

mods of similar status and genre are doing the same of whats wanted from people with the same engine or BI engines for free to a better standard and soing it faster. that shouldnt be possible especially with professionals doing it. that does seem harsh but when you see the same questions for going on two years see other games doing it with less resources and doing it better and faster you are left scratching your head and thats from a hardended Dayz player. i love the game mod and idea but the truth is in my opinion and many others Dayz is being done too slowly and not good enough.

agree dissagree thats your op.

• Like 1

i would maybe consider buying Arma3 if it was part of a $3.00 humble bundle - but only if the rest of the bundle would justify that. Please do not make wild assumptions about other members of the community. Not everyone here is a fan of Arma.

what relevance does that have to slow production on this game ?

the work rate is same as the mod almost.

we now have a bigger team 40 plis devs is it.a big sack of cash behind it a big studio that isnt small yet it churns out updates and prgress like its still a small mod. it isnt small its had the money and the backing .

mods of similar status and genre are doing the same of whats wanted from people with the same engine or BI engines for free to a better standard and soing it faster. that shouldnt be possible especially with professionals doing it. that does seem harsh but when you see the same questions for going on two years see other games doing it with less resources and doing it better and faster you are left scratching your head and thats from a hardended Dayz player. i love the game mod and idea but the truth is in my opinion and many others Dayz is being done too slowly and not good enough.

agree dissagree thats your op.

Mods will always evolve faster, they only have to decide "can it be done with what we have at our disposal"

If its yes then ok lets try....if not ok lets move on.

With the SA its a case of the same question but the answers change....

If its yes...ok lets do it.........if its no.....ok what needs to be done so we can do it.

That then starts a whole host of changes, not even possible for modders. Its a whole different kettle of fish. Did the guys making these mods have to pull out chunks of the engine to update them....or begin re-writing how AI traverses the map? No they worked with what they had, ultimately (due to armas open modability) they will achieve great results. But that cannot be compared to making an engine from the ground up. Encountering a problem and not working round it, but backtracking and implementing support for it, something modders cant do :)

• Like 1

i would maybe consider buying Arma3 if it was part of a $3.00 humble bundle - but only if the rest of the bundle would justify that. Please do not make wild assumptions about other members of the community. Not everyone here is a fan of Arma.

the point is arma 3 mods are needed to play te better free mods . so you maynot like arma but to play the better zombie mods you will need arma 3. which is priced same as standalone.

so out of SA and arma 3 to play those mods arma 3 is the better choice and that comes from someone ME who hates arma 3 !

• Like 1

..//..

..//..

Did you try WIKIPEDIA   "Bohemia Interactive" ?

it's always a good place to start

xx

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

Did you try WIKIPEDIA   "Bohemia Interactive" ?

xx

Ok, so Bohemia is backing up Day Z SA. But they are working on other projects as well. Is Dean Hall a part of Bohemia or does he have his own team? My research was lacking but can anyone answer the other questions as well?

Edited by Kefa

Ok, so Bohemia is backing up Day Z SA. But they are working on other projects as well. Is Dean Hall a part of Bohemia or does he have his own team? My research was lacking but can anyone answer the other questions as well?

Did you try WIKIPEDIA  "Dean Hall (game designer)" ?

xx

<<... returning for a contract at Bohemia Interactive on ArmA 3. After the success of the mod, Hall started work at Bohemia as an employee in the position of Project Lead of the standalone version of DayZ .. >> (etc)  - check it out

Edited by pilgrim

&nbsp;

Did you try WIKIPEDIA&nbsp; "Dean Hall (game designer)" ?

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

xx

&nbsp;

&lt;&lt;... returning for a contract at Bohemia Interactive on ArmA 3. After the success of the mod, Hall started work at Bohemia as an employee in the position of Project Lead of the standalone version of DayZ .. &gt;&gt; (etc)&nbsp; - check it out

You do realise wikis for relativley unknown persons and profit-driven companies are usually made by the person/company in question?

On Bohemias official website and their offical wiki there is no word of Day Z SA, the only place where Day Z is mentioned is under their licenses. On their official forum there is also no specific place reserved for Day Z.

Edited by Kefa

&nbsp; You do realise wikis for relativley unknown persons and profit-driven companies are usually made by the person/company in question?

On Bohemias official website and their offical wiki there is no word of Day Z SA, the only place where Day Z is mentioned is under their licenses. On their official forum there is also no specific place reserved for Day Z.

hmm - be careful.. Bohemia's official website and their official wiki are "probably made by the person/company in question" too

I don't know WHERE you could find an official forum reserved for DayZ

(unfortunately you will not EVER on ANY subject find one SINGLE web page that has the absolute DEFINITIVE TRUTH on it, unless you are a member of a really TIGHT minority cult religion)

if you do FIND a DayZ forum anywhere, if one exists (???) and READ through it, you'll probably notice that there's a lot of DISAGREEMENT going on, about what's actually happening - so you'll have to inform yourself as best and as widely as you can, read MORE, not believe everything you read, and begin to make up your own mind about it. However, for simple background facts about MANY subjects including Dean Hall and Bohemia Interactive and MANY links to MANY other sites -

"Try WIKIPEDIA it's a good place to START"

If there are lies or factual untruths there, someone will point them out. That's how it works. You could even check them yourself.

xx

Edited by pilgrim

content content content

*** Also, please do not think I wrote this because I am a huge fan and only think good things about DayZ.. it simply is not true. I have experience with game development and knowledge of what to expect. I am not a fanboy, just a realist. I am not an undereducated pessimist, troll, starry eyed fanboy, or any other example. I am just someone who thinks people should be informed, rather than led blindly. Thank you, and carry on. 

Irish, great post and I wholeheartedly agree.

The unfortunate truth is that the subset of this community who will actually read your post are also more likely to possess patience, and likely have a vested interest in a sustainable/un-rushed final product. In short: You're preaching to the choir.  It's the ADHD crowd with their short attention spans whose eyes glaze over with such a thought-through synopsis (more than few sentences without Youtube clips or colorful screengrabs and you've lost them).  They need constant stimulation by way of content, and constant reassurance from a figure of authority rather than thinking for themselves and drawing logical conclusions.  It's these folks that aren't being reached, and to some extent I don't think it matters.

The Devs have grown quiet of late, probably because they realized the cycle of "damned if you do, damned if you don't", whereby updates on progress are met with disappointment and armchair quarterbacks, just as they'd get if no updates were given at all!  Why bother with incremental updates if the noisiest, most ignorant members are going to jump down your throat? 

I love the conspiracy theorists that have emerged; claiming that BIS arranged this whole thing to make a quick buck.  I have a conspiracy theory for everyone- What if Rocket & Co. purposely fell silent and focused on wide-ranging all-encompassing updates that were fewer and farther between just to weed-out and turn away all the whiny, uncommitted players?

Edited by Mr Jizz
  • Like 3

&nbsp;

hmm - be careful.. Bohemia's official website and their official wiki are "probably made by the person/company in question" too

xx

Exactly my points. Isn't it strange that Dean Hall is working for Bohemia but Bohemia doesn't want to be affiliated with Day Z SA? So have they given up on the project or just give it minimal resources?

The point of my post to hopefully get someone informed to lay down the facts. Not to attract pubescent kids that want to have an argument about truths and untruths.

Edited by Kefa

It just sucks that Arma 3 had such a swift and precise develoment and DayZ is exactly the opposite.

I purchased the DayZ alpha thinking it would develop at the speed of Arma 3 (my fault I know).

There's no way this game will be beta at six months let alone fully released like Arma 3.

• Like 3

It just sucks that Arma 3 had such a swift and precise develoment and DayZ is exactly the opposite.

I purchased the DayZ alpha thinking it would develop at the speed of Arma 3 (my fault I know).

There's no way this game will be beta at six months let alone fully released like Arma 3.

finally someone gets it :)

I see how people can get all defensive about a game they enjoy. They're more apt to forgive things. I just have one question.

How long does this game have to stay in "Early Access Alpha" before even you start to question what's going on?

&nbsp; You do realise wikis for relativley unknown persons and profit-driven companies are usually made by the person/company in question?

Well, if you scroll to the bottom of this page http://dayzgame.com/ you can clearly see the logo for BI.

And for what it's worth, my guess as to why there is no DayZ forum on the official BI forums is that the one we are reading happens to be that forum. Going out on a limb here in guessing that you don't use the BI forums at all, otherwise you would know that many of the mods HERE are also mods over THERE.

And if I recall, the VERY FIRST thing you see when you start DayZ SA is a splash screen of the Bohemia Interactive logo. I mean, what else is there that you need to see in order to accept that BI is backing the development of this game?

• Like 2

The unfortunate truth is that the subset of this community who will actually read your post are also more likely to possess patience, and likely have a vested interest in a sustainable/un-rushed final product. In short: You're preaching to the choir.  It's the ADHD crowd with their short attention spans whose eyes glaze over with such a thought-through synopsis (more than few sentences without Youtube clips or colorful screengrabs and you've lost them).  They need constant stimulation by way of content, and constant reassurance from a figure of authority rather than thinking for themselves and drawing logical conclusions.  It's these folks that aren't being reached, and to some extent I don't think it matters.

The Devs have grown quiet of late, probably because they realized the cycle of "damned if you do, damned if you don't", whereby updates on progress are met with disappointment and armchair quarterbacks, just as they'd get if no updates were given at all!  Why bother with incremental updates if the noisiest, most ignorant members are going to jump down your throat? 

I love the conspiracy theorists that have emerged; claiming that BIS arranged this whole thing to make a quick buck.  I have a conspiracy theory for everyone- What if Rocket & Co. purposely fell silent and focused on wide-ranging all-encompassing updates that were fewer and farther between just to weed-out and turn away all the whiny, uncommitted players?

I have ADHD. Good points though.. ;)

Also, for perspective and in response to several other posts in here:

Watch Dogs was in development for over 6 years. 6. Years. 

Edited by lrish

Maybe i fall into the category (or sweeping generalization) you have brought up regarding people who get more vocal about their disappointment/dissatisfaction/disillusionment, but, it is becoming evidently obvious that this will not reach beta when they stated, and it falls in place well like the rest of the long list of delays continuously for the standalone, i think personally what has struck the most people is that the rather huge injection of revenue it has received hasn't translated to faster development and i like many others think its pretty disgraceful. Plus, when it isn't into beta when they stated and it hits the end of the year when that dean hall has said he is leaving (another gripe for many im sure, personally not too bothered though because i don't think much of that person at all), then will he stick around/stick to his word for the beta completion? quite frankly and quite bluntly, will he boll*cks. Hence why i have said cash grab referring directly to that person in the past.

Edited by Mr Sinister