Sign in to follow this  
BAMO4O

Sanity/rationale/crazy meter to encourage player interaction?

No, it's not. The saying simply does not work. I can think of plenty of ideas that it'd be harder to tear down than to create. The saying only works for specific cases, and at that point, why bother having a saying at all?

Nope. Why bother contributing if you only pick holes and add nothing? There's a word for behaviour like that.

Nope. Why bother contributing if you only pick holes and add nothing? There's a word for behaviour like that.

Says the one who posts nothing but the equivalent of "no u."

Says the one who posts nothing but the equivalent of "no u."

The irony is strong in this one...

I guess you missed the fact that I was taking the proverbial out of you by mimicking your posting style there. I guess nuance is hard to achieve on a message board. The point, my good sir, is that you've added nothing to this thread. From your first response you've done nothing but criticise, offering no justification for your position nor arguments in it's favour. This leads me to infer that you're overly judgemental and possibly even hypocritical... and that any further input of yours can be safely ignored.

Have a nice day!

Edit: There's a post made by one of the developers on reddit speaking about the toxic nature of the community (purely in terms of useful feedback). Might I recommend you take a glance over in that direction? Last I checked it was at the top of the page with a thousand or more comments.

Edited by Mithrawndo

The irony is strong in this one...

I guess you missed the fact that I was taking the proverbial out of you by mimicking your posting style there. I guess nuance is hard to achieve on a message board. The point, my good sir, is that you've added nothing to this thread. From your first response you've done nothing but criticise, offering no justification for your position nor arguments in it's favour. This leads me to infer that you're overly judgemental and possibly even hypocritical... and that any further input of yours can be safely ignored.

Have a nice day!

Edit: There's a post made by one of the developers on reddit speaking about the toxic nature of the community (purely in terms of useful feedback). Might I recommend you take a glance over in that direction? Last I checked it was at the top of the page with a thousand or more comments.

Well, that is your opinion, and you're entitled to it. I, for my part, think that you've added nothing to this discussion. Your kitchen psychology is so appallingly bad and misinformed I couldn't even be bothered to finish your posts.

Xant and Nex... you have a very.... skewed version of "carebears" in your heads. I am not in fact, a carebear. I actually have a squad, and use "tactics" (a term you may not be familiar with, so allow me to enlighten you) to navigate, survive and gather resources... Sitting on top of a hill, sniping fresh spawns does not constitute as a "tactic". It is in fact a pathetic way to show that you think you're a tough guy, incapable of dealing with player interaction and/or a level playing field. Pretty sure if my counter-sniper leveled a mosin at your head and killed you, and then proceeded to hunt you on the coast, killing you for hours... you wouldn't enjoy that so much would you? Of course not. Why? Because he'd be impeding your gaming experience.

Don't want to talk to other survivors in a friendly fashion? That's perfectly fine. Grow a pair and bandit like a man then. This game has guns, yes. This game provides the opportunity to kill other players, yes. However, what exactly is the point you're trying to make when you kill a fresh spawn, or kill someone and then don't even bother with any of their gear and just let it despawn? Far as I can tell, you have no point. You're just looking for attention.

Congratulations. You've gained attention on the forums. Do you want a cookie?

I won't be posting on this thread again, as arguing with people who spout nonsense just breeds more nonsense. "Hurray" you may think to yourselves "we won the argument!" However, you've won nothing. All you've succeeded in doing is proving how ignorant and tactless you both are. Others like you fall under the same category. And you refer to "KoS CoD Kiddies" as name calling? Far from it. That is the universal category under which people like you fall. It isn't a name-calling attempt in the least. It's a label. And if you're so proud of your "playstyle", then why do you care? You clearly think you're better than the rest of us.

Anyway, I'm done with words. Words won't reach you, as was made apparent by your ridiculous responses.

May a hero's bullet find you, and may he/she hunt you until you ragequit.

Edited by Baklavah
  • Like 1

Xant and Nex... you have a very.... skewed version of "carebears" in your heads. I am not in fact, a carebear. I actually have a squad, and use "tactics" (a term you may not be familiar with, so allow me to enlighten you) to navigate, survive and gather resources... Sitting on top of a hill, sniping fresh spawns does not constitute as a "tactic". It is in fact a pathetic way to show that you think you're a tough guy, incapable of dealing with player interaction and/or a level playing field. Pretty sure if my counter-sniper leveled a mosin at your head and killed you, and then proceeded to hunt you on the coast, killing you for hours... you wouldn't enjoy that so much would you? Of course not. Why? Because he'd be impeding your gaming experience.

Don't want to talk to other survivors in a friendly fashion? That's perfectly fine. Grow a pair and bandit like a man then. This game has guns, yes. This game provides the opportunity to kill other players, yes. However, what exactly is the point you're trying to make when you kill a fresh spawn, or kill someone and then don't even bother with any of their gear and just let it respawn? Far as I can tell, you have no point. You're just looking for attention.

Congratulations. You've gained attention on the forums. Do you want a cookie?

I won't be posting on this thread again, as arguing with people who spout nonsense just breeds more nonsense. "Hurray" you may think to yourselves "we won the argument!" However, you've won nothing. All you've succeeded in doing is proving how ignorant and tactless you both are. Others like you fall under the same category. And you refer to "KoS CoD Kiddies" as name calling? Far from it. That is the universal category under which people like you fall. It isn't a name-calling attempt in the least. It's a label. And if you're so proud of your "playstyle", then why do you care? You clearly think you're better than the rest of us.

Anyway, I'm done with words. Words won't reach you, as was made apparent by your ridiculous responses.

May a hero's bullet find you, and may he/she hunt you until you ragequit.

On the contrary, if you were good enough to hunt me down for hours, I'd welcome the challenge.

"Grow a pair and bandit like a man"? Yawn. Not interested in your artificial made-up macho honor. I could just as easily claim that you're not being a man for not killing everyone you meet, and we could have a nice little circular argument. But let's skip that part and get straight to the conclusion: I don't agree with your view, so your judgement is irrelevant to me. As for killing fresh spawns, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. If I do, it's to make sure I don't lose my stuff to a Mike Tyson wannabe, or to test damage, or just because I'm bored. Nothing to do with attention. You're the one who brought this subject up: it follows, then, that you're the one after attention.

Pointless ad hominem, yay. Protip: proclaiming that you didn't lose the argument when you run away with your tail betwixt your hind legs doesn't make it reality. And sure, we're CoD kiddies, you're carebears. Fair enough. It's just your playstyle, why are you protesting when you're called a carebear? It's a label, brah.

Corny Ending Note Here

• Like 1

No Apologies necessary Nex - I didn't actually ask a direct question but rather implied one with those statements. Letting my mind run my mouth unabridged is a common fault of mine. The question was this: Why do online computer games cause an erosion of empathy amongst otherwise well adjusted people, and is this behaviour damaging to either the individuals or the communities they partake in?

I have preconceived answers to this, namely Freudian sublimation (the satisfaction of socially unacceptable impulses in a socially acceptable manner) as I've made clear, but given the flack that the old codger's theories get these days I felt it advisable to open this up for discussion. For the second part, proposals like this (which pop up with alarming frequency) do seem to indicate that the behaviour does have a damaging effect on at least some members of the community, as evidenced by the fact that the OP has gone from rational to batshit in the course of three pages.

I completely agree with you here, but that doesn't mean there isn't still mileage in this playstyle. Deception immediately comes to mind - I'm seldom friendly for example, but that doesn't stop me from acting that way - and the tension in such situations is more than palpable.

Given that ammo is a reasonably scarce commodity (I don't beleive the ease with which it is currently acquired represents their vision of a final product), then surely the decision to pull that trigger is one that should have a larger influence on our attitude to the game?

As I insinuate above, this is exactly why mechanics that force an element of doubt when considering hostility could be beneficial. The game's greatest strength is it's tension, and we risk losing that if murder remains the de facto form of interaction. Perhaps this issue will be lessened as loss becomes a greater influence (a la Eve Online), but given the way the game is designed, I doubt this.

I know you're in favour of private hives, and I agree with you that this would resolve many of the issues I raise here. However Bohemia clearly have a vision of the public hives being worthwhile, and it is with this in mind that I raise these points.

I've mentioned Eve twice so far here alone, and it's a great example of this mentality. Google my nickname and you'll find quite a few posts on the eve forums where I lambaste people for getting so caught up in a computer game that they feel the need to throw insults around and quit. Like you, it made me question their state of mind. The years however (I'm no spring chicken) have led me to question whether it was their behaviour or mine that was irrational.

I'm still trying to answer that.

Again, we return to sublimation.

To continue your analogy, the rules of soccer have been changed under these circumstances several times in the last few years. We're on the cusp of goal line technology becoming the norm; Most professional leagues have instituted a pass back rule, preventing goalkeepers from picking up a ball returned to them (which directly discourages defensive tactics and encourages pressing football - a wonderful analogy for this thread's goal); UEFA declared "simulation" (diving, feigning injury) a bookable offence - again, an artificial addition to the rules to encourage the spirit of the game and to work around gamesmanship, something very prevalent in online games.

Edit: These changes were all made after complaints from professionals and fans alike - much like the OP has a valid complaint in the original post and offers a solution. An unworkable solution to my mind, but at least he's making the effort!*

I beleive they try to avoid shooting people unless they absolutely have to, as opposed to shooting people just because they saw them. The latter behaviour is, for the record, a self criticism.

*It's easy to destroy something. It's a lot harder to create something.

I just wrote out a massive post and lost it all, sorry can't be assed doing it again lol

Maybe later lol

Don't really like a game guessing and deciding what I should be feeling and thinking.

All of this. You can't code every individual players personality and mental state, that is for the player to decide. If I don't see anyone for 2 months and start missing company, I'll head back to the coast, but until then why should I be punished with insanity just because I prefer playing as a lone wolf?

How about you accept the unique variability of a game where every character has a different personality based on the players' ideas, instead of maybe 5 hard-coded personalities and everyone you meet is one of those 5 types. Stop trying to force your playstyle onto others just because YOU want more player interaction. Being forced to interact with players or risk insanity would completely ruin MY playstyle. Go play a game with classes, that's what you want. A hero class, a bandit class, a medic class, man you'd be in heaven.

But here in DayZ we make our own game using a little imagination. I don't need things like this hard-coded into the game because I can figure out how MY character under MY control would react to a situation based on the playstyle I have decided for MY character. Do you 'get it' yet?. lrn2imaginate.

You're missing the entire point of "Open-World". It means the player decides how to play the game, not forced on a linear path because some pansy wants the post-apocalypse to be a nanny state where everyone talks to each other and gets along as though civilization hasn't entirely collapsed.

And before you jump to ridiculous assumptions like you have with other people who disagree, I'm no CoD kid KoS. I've killed one player in 95 hours and then only because he broke my arm shooting me, I didn't even fire back until after he actually hit me.

Kill OP in game = -100 sanity

Bandage my teammate 50 times in a row = +100 sanity

Or

Carry on PvPing, character gets insane, drop your gear, make teammates guard it, kill yourself, respawn, get gear back, nothing happened.

So how is this going to help?