Vityuk

Motive of the Cold War in the game

Hi everyone! Here some of my thoughts you might haven't came up with about the game.

As all we know, Chernarus is fictional post-Soviet country, but it's clearly sticks to eyes that it's an outskirt of Russia. The clothing (e.g. Ushanka, gasmask...), weapons (SKS, Mosin...), buldings (all of them) are exactly Russian. The only suspicious thing is it's almost impossible to find good amount of ammo for Russian guns like SKS, but it's extremly easy to find piles of clips for M4A1 which is American. Also there're no possibility to get Russian military uniform. Instead of this we have 'UK Assault vest' and 'Balistic helmet' (Russian troops of 90's didn't have balistic helmet in common). And what's strange, all of foreign equipment can be found in RUSSIAN military BASES.

So, let's sum up. The country is Post-soviet, then the period of time there is about 1992 (almost the end of the Cold War). The Cold War is NATO vs OVD. Russia hasn't been buying american arming, so the only logical way of appearing of it in Russian bases is armed intervention of NATO (which as it seems is successful). Moreover, the main character is not able to drink in-game liquors which is not typical for russians. As a result, non-russian guy with NATO arming (even if the primary gun is Mosin or SKS, the pistol is anyway NATO's) walks in Chernorussia and kills inhabitants (rotten and animallike).

What do you guys think of it? Isn't it strange a bit?

That's all I've to share.

• Like 1

well , after wall fell out western gun dealers could be make business at this post-soviet country so it looks ordinary to me

well , after wall fell out western gun dealers could be make business at this post-soviet country so it looks ordinary to me

Dealers in military bases? LOL.

Hello there

The lack or presence of any weapon item is down to the "History" of the universe DAYZ is set in, so at this time almost anything can be explained.

Also, the final amount of items is not complete yet, so when the game is released we may see far more Eastern Bloc or indeed Western weapons/items.

I would wait a few months before we start to panic about a particular east/west slant.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Hi everyone! Here some of my thoughts you might haven't came up with about the game.

As all we know, Chernarus is fictional post-Soviet country, but it's clearly sticks to eyes that it's an outskirt of Russia. The clothing (e.g. Ushanka, gasmask...), weapons (SKS, Mosin...), buldings (all of them) are exactly Russian. The only suspicious thing is it's almost impossible to find good amount of ammo for Russian guns like SKS, but it's extremly easy to find piles of clips for M4A1 which is American. Also there're no possibility to get Russian military uniform. Instead of this we have 'UK Assault vest' and 'Balistic helmet' (Russian troops of 90's didn't have balistic helmet in common). And what's strange, all of foreign equipment can be found in RUSSIAN military BASES.

So, let's sum up. The country is Post-soviet, then the period of time there is about 1992 (almost the end of the Cold War). The Cold War is NATO vs OVD. Russia hasn't been buying american arming, so the only logical way of appearing of it in Russian bases is armed intervention of NATO (which as it seems is successful). Moreover, the main character is not able to drink in-game liquors which is not typical for russians. As a result, non-russian guy with NATO arming (even if the primary gun is Mosin or SKS, the pistol is anyway NATO's) walks in Chernorussia and kills inhabitants (rotten and animallike).

Go play Arma 2. Play the Harvest Red campaign. US MARINE equipment can be found in Chernarus due to their involvement and the CDF uses a mixture of US/Warsaw equipment.. The game takes place in 2008(Arma 2) DayZ is set in the same universe but different timeline, and the year is about 2018 (Roughly)

• Like 1

maybe nato went to assist on the zombie outbreak

So, US troops from 10 years ago perfectly cleaned up any trace of their presence, up to the point of not only perfectly cleaning their old FOB site, but even building up a perfectly identical copy of the bombed out house in Olsha.

And then, they randomly drove around in the country and dropped their automatic carbines in the Shower rooms of CDF barracks?

Or will we go with the ´´gun dealer´´ theory, and say that gun dealers from some other part of Chernarus where there are gun stores, randomly decided to take all their western equipment and dipose of it in the CDF barracks for no apparent reason?

I guess the reason that makes the most sense would be to say that the CDF started using American weapons as part of their equipment... uh, for some reason.

The CDF never really act very friendly towards the US forces. The way i interpreted it in the campaign was that many of the CDF soldiers really felt more aligned towards Russia than the US (if you consider it, the whole storyline has an almost creepy semblance to what happens in Ukraine right now).

While only they have a small volunteer militia as their only real defence force, it still seemed like a functional military force to me. I don't get why they suddenly would want to switch to American equipment, when they have perfectly fine eastern equipment already. Where is the money going to come from, anyways?

---

Now, I'm not a gun dealing expert, but according to what I've heard from most people, western guns are pretty abundant in the eastern countries, and certainly possible to buy, both legally and illegally.

I do, however, believe that it would make more sense if the CDF would operate only with eastern imported weapons, at the very least when it comes to things like pistols and service rifles.

Do you really want everything to have sickles and hammers stapled on it? I mean i know it makes sense but i think there trying to stay away from the whole Communist ideals. Theres a few little things here and there with sickle and hammer but im not sure everyone would care for a huge amount of it per say including some actual Russians.

Or, we could just admit that the game is ONLY in alpha and at present, we have absolutely no idea of the history of this FICTIONAL country. Jesus christ, go play outside or something if you're that upset over finding an M4 clip in a Russian country.

Jesus christ, go play outside or something if you're that upset over finding an M4 clip in a Russian country.

Cut demagogy.

P.S. I am not Jesus Christ, but thanks.

Edited by Vityuk

Go play Arma 2. Play the Harvest Red campaign. US MARINE equipment can be found in Chernarus due to their involvement and the CDF uses a mixture of US/Warsaw equipment.. The game takes place in 2008(Arma 2) DayZ is set in the same universe but different timeline, and the year is about 2018 (Roughly)

Maybe im wrong but I remember the CDF as having pretty much only Soviet equipment (AK, RPG, PKM etc) with the exception of one or two western weapons. The Arma 2 page says they still retain their original soviet weaponry.

Imo as more weapons are added, they should have more eastern firearms than western ones. It just makes more sense to me that you would find soviet weapons in an eastern european country.

For comparison, if the game was set in the US you would expect to find a range of American weapons in military bases rather than AK-47's.

Maybe im wrong but I remember the CDF as having pretty much only Soviet equipment (AK, RPG, PKM etc) with the exception of one or two western weapons. The Arma 2 page says they still retain their original soviet weaponry.

Imo as more weapons are added, they should have more eastern firearms than western ones. It just makes more sense to me that you would find soviet weapons in an eastern european country.

For comparison, if the game was set in the US you would expect to find a range of American weapons in military bases rather than AK-47's.

AK 47s are VERY common in most American based games surprisingly enough.... lmao

Cut demagogy.

P.S. I am not Jesus Christ, but thanks.

Oh I'm certain of that, how about having a bit of patience and understanding - if you feel up to the challenge, why don't you apply to become a member of the DayZ development team, I'm sure you can teach them a thing or two by the sounds of your expertise.

Oh, wholeheartedly. I expect to find more Eastern Bloc than western, but western equipment should still be there, albiet more uncommon. The CDF pretty much warmed up the Americans if you execute the campaign flawlessly and complete all your objectives. (Non-linear storyline, if you fucked up messed with the story) The way I see it, the US obviously stayed in Chernarus for a little bit, they would have to. Help the army stand back up again and be self-determined. Entirely possible the USA decided to form an Alliance with the Country of Chernarus because itsright on Russia's door step (And we all know how the USA is about Russia..)this would allow the flow of Western equipment into the country in an effort to help re-gear the Chernarus military. It's entirely possible the Marines left behind some instructors, or the USA established a base there. 

First of guys, the OP never said there should be NO nato weapons in chern. just that it would make more sence (story wise) if there was a slant towars eastern-block weapons.

AK 47s are VERY common in most American based games surprisingly enough.... lmao

In case you haven't noticed most of these games involve a midlle east or eastern block faction. Thses are also military themed FPS were one would expect som bad guy in downtown baghdad or some far flung eastern european country (real or fictional) to have an AK-varient weapon. its just like the early CoD games set in WW2. the German weapons made sence not because of where the game was made but because of the in-Game setting. i just shot 5 SS troops off the top of a panzer. would thier MP40s really just vaporize when the die or something?

edit: i cant stop the typos today

Edited by Sovetsky

First of guys, the OP never said there should be NO nato weapons in chern. just that it would make more sence (story wise) if there was a slant towars eastern-block weapons.

In case you haven't noticed most of these games involve a midlle east or eastern block faction. Thses are also military themed FPS were one would expect som bad guy in downtown baghdad or some far flung eastern european country (real or fictional) to have an AK-varient weapon. its just like the early CoD games set in WW2. the German weapons made sence not because of where the game was made but because of the in-Game setting. i just shot 5 SS troops off the top of a panzer. would thier MP40s really just vaporize when the die or something?

edit: i cant stop the typos today

Not sure, vaporizing would be pretty awesome though lol.

Its ok i have those days with typing to.

Edited by Deathlove

Oh, wholeheartedly. I expect to find more Eastern Bloc than western, but western equipment should still be there, albiet more uncommon. The CDF pretty much warmed up the Americans if you execute the campaign flawlessly and complete all your objectives. (Non-linear storyline, if you fucked up messed with the story) The way I see it, the US obviously stayed in Chernarus for a little bit, they would have to. Help the army stand back up again and be self-determined. Entirely possible the USA decided to form an Alliance with the Country of Chernarus because itsright on Russia's door step (And we all know how the USA is about Russia..)this would allow the flow of Western equipment into the country in an effort to help re-gear the Chernarus military. It's entirely possible the Marines left behind some instructors, or the USA established a base there. 

If that were the case I wouldnt care as much about finding US weaponry. I think they should represent that a bit more visually though, perhaps like CDF and US flags together at bases to show the alliance or going on the theory that there are US bases it would be nice to see some US vehicles lying around. I suppose for me it's just a case of having a little back story. 

Edited by Brim1944

it would be nice to see some US vehicles lying around

There are US vehicles. Humvee wrecks are pretty common.

NATO forces were present, and perhaps Russians were as well. This brings me to believe that the infection started in Chernarus, why else would NATO be there? The setting is 2013-2014, considering the gear (some M4 parts are brand new). It was a contagious virus and it was airborne, since all the survivors are immune (devs said this). Further, nothing can be said

There are US vehicles. Humvee wrecks are pretty common.

I've only ever seen UAZ's in the standalone.

maybe nato went to assist on the zombie outbreak

This story is invented by you. The map was taken from the game Arma II. There are NATO vehicles in Russian military bases.

This story is invented by you. The map was taken from the game Arma II. There are NATO vehicles in Russian military bases.

I think the CDF couldn't handle the situation and NATO recaptured some of their bases. Seems plausible

NATO forces were present, and perhaps Russians were as well. This brings me to believe that the infection started in Chernarus, why else would NATO be there? The setting is 2013-2014, considering the gear (some M4 parts are brand new). It was a contagious virus and it was airborne, since all the survivors are immune (devs said this). Further, nothing can be said

The setting is never explained, however it's safe to assume that it takes place sometime in the late 2010s/early 2020s (FNX-45 came out in 2012, there's 2017 cereal, etc.)

However, it could be in 1860 for all we know, if the devs wanted to make that the game's history they could. Hell, the Battle of Thermopylae could be happening at the same time, and it just so happens M4A1s, SKS' and modern tech existed only a few thousand miles away.

The setting is never explained, however it's safe to assume that it takes place sometime in the late 2010s/early 2020s (FNX-45 came out in 2012, there's 2017 cereal, etc.)

However, it could be in 1860 for all we know, if the devs wanted to make that the game's history they could. Hell, the Battle of Thermopylae could be happening at the same time, and it just so happens M4A1s, SKS' and modern tech existed only a few thousand miles away.

Thought the cereal was  ported right from arma 3 thus explaining the 2017 date/