rocket

Patch 1.5.7 and this being an Alpha and fucking zombie spawns

I love the amount of zombies. Only thing I request is to make zombies 25% slower. Too fast because of the lag.

I for one love the new amount of zombies and do not think that thier speed needs to be lowered at all. Now there is an actual risk vs reward when attempting to loot buildings/towns etc especially when you are solo (which I am 99% of the time)

I HAVE noticed a large increase in the drop chance of better tier ammo and guns in the past few days plus a large decrease in drop chance of things like broken whiskey bottles and tin cans.

Okay' date=' so still people don't realize this is an [b']Alpha. If you do not know what this means - go look it up on wikipedia RIGHT NOW.

When I fix one bug, many can crop up.

I fixed some zombie spawning bugs, time syncing bugs, and now there are alot of zombies. This became apparent in testing, but rather than delay the patch release by a few days (too many people are helicopter dying) the update was released.

So yes, the zombie numbers weren't my intention - but now that it is here, let us see how they play out. Maybe we might actually learn something from it or maybe everyone just wants to jump to conclusions in the first ten minutes...

My personal opinion there are simply way too many zombies and the zombies are way to overpowered. This is my honest opinion and the opinion of many.

I would honestly like to see the zombies be more like zombies in The Walking Dead Series. Not that intelligent, slow and cumbersome but with lots of numbers. So when you fire one shot in a town you attract the attention of the hordes but you are able to escape if you leave the town quickly enough.

The way they are now they are hard to shoot when they are running at you and too much like the zombies in 28 Days Later. You randomly pull one, it lunges at you and then hordes and hordes come. It's comparable to Left 4 Dead and to be honest if I wanted Left 4 Dead I would go and play Left 4 Dead. This is a Zombie RPG that I personally would love to see developed properly.

I think these kind of zombie numbers are a major boon to the survival elements of the game, and those are the elements that make this the zombie game people have been wanting. This game is almost the multiplayer S.T.A.L.K.E.R. that people have always been dreaming of, but it needs more hostile environments. Firing a gun in a formerly populated area should result in 20-30 zombies running at you. There should be a serious deterrent to "going loud" and not being careful. To put it simply, the zombies should be MORE of a threat then the other players / bandits, this would encourage teamwork while still making banditry feasible. As it is, banditry is not only feasible, it's the generally preferred option to just shoot someone rather then hope they don't shoot you. If firing your weapon ALWAYS meant aggroing a shitstorm of zombies that you have to then deal with, this would make co-operation the easier way of dealing with things without restricting the sandbox gameplay in the way that a simple friendly fire off server flag would.

Also, I want to see zombies roaming around in the forests and highways. Obviously smaller groups, but they should be there. The idea that you are basically never safe, ever, is one that would add a lot to immersion. Other things like increasing the chance of random areas and small towns producing weapons, ammo, medicine, and food/drink would be a great way to reduce banditry without making it any less of a viable playstyle. As it is, killing some random guy you came across in the middle of nowhere offers a significantly higher chance of getting good gear then actually going looting and searching spawns, because outside of cherno or airfields all you find is empty cans and junk.

That's just my thoughts on the subject.

I very much enjoy the new zombie count. My entire group is learning exactly how close we get can get to zombies while prone, the right spot to throw a tin can or a flare to attract zombies either in the day or night (flares still attract, but much much worse, gotta do it right) and generally the game has become all about sneaking around the zombies rather than rushing in and murdering everything in town, which with multiple automatic guns and around 700 bullets for them combined we can easily do even with the new patch if we were to hide in a building.

its just lagging out the servers! its yellow/red chain one after the other! and people are constantly walking on the same spot or rubberbanding(meaning that the glitch forward and then back again)

and this is what the 8 of us observed! its probably the same for everyone put if you are alone you can't see that other players are lagging out

I personally love the numbers of zombies. I think that the hide and stalk manuvers that are honestly one of the greatest hooks of the game has now become not only important but vital and thats a great thing. That said, what isn't great is when you are finally stuck in a position of "I'm stuck and I'm going to have to fire a shot" the agro radius of the hordes that move at mach 1 and somehow rise from the dead again (respawn) before the wave is even completed. Agro radius decrease, situational awareness decrease, and perhaps a touch of a speed decrease would aid your mod by leaps and bounds.

We had a group of eight guys that would log in night after night and laggy servers and full servers be damned. Half of those guys are now in the 'fuck it' mind frame. Our group isn't comprised of noob gamers or newfags to ARMA, but veteran players of multiple MMORPGs. The majority of us come from EVE Online where loss is as it is on Dayz a permanent thing - this is what made this game so interesting. We want to be part of the alpha - beta - release group but when something is obviously wrong it needs to be addressed and not with a post saying stop being faggots and repeating yourselves, face palms, and other random ass hat things. Those that wrote you hate mails, need to be addressed and either banned perm or given a nice 30 day vacation. Thats fair enough. Those that post concerns here, are not working against you but providing you feed back for your alpha. If that not what we are here for then close alpha it.

I´ve got to agree with some others here. The Zombies amount is OK, I like the feeling of not having the possibilitie just to shoot me through the hords.

I also like the new textures and the sounds they make.

What I really like to see is the speed of the Zombies beeing reduced a lot.

I rather like to see 3 or 4 times more of the current amount, while they are just walking or running 25-30% slowlier, then just a few of them running faster than I do. So I never have a chance once they are attrackted. That would be a great thing in the next update.

make them a lot more, but make them slowlier...outrunning is the only weapon we sometimes would really need.

Been playing for a while now and YES the patch is a game changer, lone play is very tough.

life expectancy has dropped loads too, but surely this makes it more tense? hunkering down out of range of 10 zombies patrolling a barn which may not even contain loot is emotional, but as the inventory system requires you to crouch down to pick up anything i think this smash and grab idea would be tough to pull off. there does need to be more balance but im sure this will come as tweaks are made.

Hats off to you rocket, this is an epic mod and one of the most immersion gaming experiences that I can remember.

just wish people would stop bitching about the server issues and leave already... more space for thouse of us who understand what an alpha is!

Old version definetely had to have more zombies, but not this much. I treat this as alpha. We're going to wait :D

I haven't come to moan and I realise the amount of zombies was unintentional, I just thought I'd add my 2p worth.

At the moment this game is unplayable for me, you shouldn't HAVE to group up with people to go into towns, forcing people to do it goes against the principals I have read in many of the interviews and its one of the reason I do not play MMOs.

I realise gameplay has to have a set of rules to make the mechanics work but having 500+ zombies in a game where you are a lone survivor makes it impossible for me to play, I work ridiculous hours and I'm very lucky to get an hour of gameplay in a day, I don't want to have to spend that crawling around for that hour just to get a tin of beans.

Now I'm not saying you should or expect that you should make these changes just to please me, but please take into consideration the people who aren't hardcore ARMA2 gamers who don't want to dodge 20-30 zombies in small towns trying to find supplies.

Maybe have regular (easy) mode that has 3rd person view have 200-400 zombies that patch 1.5.6 did and make veteran (hardcore) servers have the current 700+ zombie level.

I'm tired of being called a noob and that I should just STFU and that no one is making me play the game just because I dislike the sheer number of ridiculously fast zombies that zigzag around, chase you 100km across the map, who can see, hear, hit and walk through walls.

Thanks.

The amount of zombies isn't horrible, but their spawn is. Rural farmhouses are frequently more populated by zombies than urban centers, zombies frequently spawn right behind you, and they seem to spawn infinitely if you try to kill some in certain places, leaving you swamped by them.

I was north of Chernogorsk, near the transformers next to a farmhouse and had to shoot a bandit nearby. That single shot had every single zombie charge me, which was about 8. But the real problem was when I had killed those zombies new ones just spawned in the surrounding area and were attracted by the shots from me killing the charging zombies, so I was stuck in a loop where I'd kill the charging zombies and then the newly spawned zombies would charge me, and that's how it went.

So, the current problems are the distribution of zombies in the area, the zombie respawn, and respawns near you.

The amount of zombies spawned in an area should be related to what actually exists in that area. Large towns should be very populated while tiny farms in the middle of nowhere should have just a couple. Nothing should be able to respawn within a large radius around you, and the aggro threshold for zombies should be lower.

As for life expectancy, if it isn't a substantial amount nobody will keep playing it. The lure is in the survival aspect of your character, not his near certain death after only a couple of hours of playtime, especially when most of that time is spent creeping around and scavenging.

+1 for the new zombie count

This promotes survivor interaction, organisation and stealth.

While there may be some benefit to the tweaks people have suggested earlier in the thread, the game should be about survival, not run-and-gun K:D ratio whoring, thats what COD is for.

The Zombie spawn count is amazingly fun, we had the most interesting time last night in Berezino... HOWEVER, what does piss me off is the respawn timer. I have no issue killing 200 zombies to get in Cherno or Elektro... I do, however, have a issue killing 200 zombies to get in, killing 200 zombies while I'm there, and then kill 200 zombies to get out because of the respawn rate. Most of Legion concurs that the amount of zombies is perfectly acceptable, as long as the respawn rate is toned down a wee bit.

I just lost an Alice Pack, M1911, full stock of food, water, soda, watch, map, compass all in a matter of minutes after finding them. And, I love it.

I got mad for a second but then I was like... "man this game initiates a primal response like I've never seen before"

One thing I could suggest, is maybe make the zombies give up if they lose sight of you for a few seconds. Like if you run around the buildings they get confused. Also, maybe 10% less zombies (if that is possible - i know this is a bug from a minor adjustment..heh..)

All in all though, best game since Half Life (original)... and overall, probably best game I have ever played.

I just lost an Alice Pack, M1911, full stock of food, water, soda, watch, map, compass all in a matter of minutes after finding them. And, I love it.

I got mad for a second but then I was like... "man this game initiates a primal response like I've never seen before"

One thing I could suggest, is maybe make the zombies give up if they lose sight of you for a few seconds. Like if you run around the buildings they get confused. Also, maybe 10% less zombies (if that is possible - i know this is a bug from a minor adjustment..heh..)

All in all though, best game since Half Life (original)... and overall, probably best game I have ever played.

Its been amazing since this patch, the zombies have mattered again. We've actually stopped to count ammo before deciding to go check a loot spot or take a long route to avoid some zeds. Used to be just run through uncaring and deal with the handful easily. Now there's risk again, loving it.

Even if a good chunk of players hates it and you revert it, I'd love the zombie density as a setting to boost up as a server setting.

While more zombies is fun and all, I hope it has been noted that they cause a significant performance hit, especially server-side. I've seen a lot of servers that start desyncing the moment the count runs up to +- 1000. They seem a lot more stable around 500 - 600.

Performance should always come first, I'd rather have a stable playing experience with less zombies than an unstable one with tons of them. Ideally the zombie count should be a little higher than in 1.5.6, but respawn times definitely need to go up. (And have some sort of player proximity check to prevent random spawns when you're looting)

Maybe zombie count should even be a server setting, so so servers can pick what works best in terms of performance. 35 player servers could easily have more zombies than 60 player ones.

The more zombies means you need to team up more than ever unfortunately i appear to be a "Perma bandit" ive been stuck on -8839 humanity for the past couple of days now and have died like 10 times nothing seems to affect it.

Once you go bandit it's pretty much impossible to go survivor again, unless you're content with not defending yourself every time a survivor shows up and starts shooting at you. It's pretty stupid. IMO you should lose half of your negative humanity every time you die.

Once you go bandit it's pretty much impossible to go survivor again' date=' unless you're content with not defending yourself every time a survivor shows up and starts shooting at you. It's pretty stupid. IMO you should lose half of your negative humanity every time you die.

[/quote']

In my experience:

everyone pretty much shoots at everyone and the only thing that separates bandits from survivors is how many of each either guy tends to kill.

You end up killing more bandits than survivors? You're a survivor!

You end up killing more survivors than bandits? You're a bandit!

You end up killing more bandits than survivors? You're a survivor!

You end up killing more survivors than bandits? You're a bandit!

I don't know what I end up as, since this is me...

You end up getting your ass munched on by zeds? You're a terrible player!

:D

TKJ

Once you go bandit it's pretty much impossible to go survivor again' date=' unless you're content with not defending yourself every time a survivor shows up and starts shooting at you. It's pretty stupid. IMO you should lose half of your negative humanity every time you die.

[/quote']It's not that hard unless you constantly kill people. If you avoid Cherno and Elektro you rarely run into people, and the only time I have been a Bandit is when we go to those cities for various reasons. If you stay on the coast, odds are you'll stay a bandit, if you leave the coastal areas, you'll be fine.

I find the game to be much better now than before (being a Bandit) things need to be thought through now more than ever and grouping is a must, i found myself crawling a lot and having a heart attack hoping zed's wouldnt see me, the panicking sound effect is really cool works great and would love to see a lot of those little things implemented into the game. The only problem so far that i have noticed is when u try to enter/exit some buildings in prone it forces you to crouch or even stand up, when that happens while u are in a town just trying to get into buildings for supplies you are screwed. It doesn't make it impossible to not be spotted entering buildings but being careful is a huge must making sure no one is near you. Other than that game is perfect i love everything about this game very intense and adrenaline pumping, i have not played a game like this in forever keep up the great work and I cant wait for future updates.

Finialy got around to playing 1.5.7.

Whats the suposed deal with the increased spawn? It doesn't see much different from befor the broken zombie spawning. Maybe US4 was broken again... There seemd to be some issues with loot spawning still.

The only Bug? I've noticed is i've seen people flicker through walls, so I know exactly where they are.