rocket

Patch 1.5.7 and this being an Alpha and fucking zombie spawns

well it's meant to be random, but also based on the number of players near a location and how long they have been there, from what I understand.

In a real zombie apochalypse situation you would have to be Chuck Norris to survive alone.

The key thing that having lots of zombies in towns does is it forces people to form groups and play together.

This is a good thing as it adds a whole social aspect to the game.

However, I think the respawn timers need work, after a Z is dead, it should not respawn for at least an hour, perhaps up to 3 hours, meaning players can clear towns for a while, at least giving enough time to form a PVP battle over a key building/resource or something.

grouping up in towns is generally worse in my opinion unless its only 2-3 people. anything more and the zombie spawns when a horde situation happens get out of control fast.

The key thing that having lots of zombies in towns does is it forces people to form groups and play together.

No offense, but I hate this concept of forcing people to play a certain way. Just create a fair, balanced, logical scenario and LET PEOPLE PLAY AS THEY PLEASE. If they want to be part of a group, fine. If they want to be a lone wolf, that is fine too. And if they want to do nothing but fill their canteen in lakes and hunt animals to survive and never go near a town or interact with any other player or zombie or anything else let them do that too.

Why is there this widespread attitude, and I see this in all sorts of games/sims, of forcing people to play a certain way because that is how YOU think they should play? Having everyone doing the same thing, in the same way, all the time, is boring.

No offense' date=' but I hate this concept of forcing people to play a certain way. Just create a fair, balanced, logical scenario and LET PEOPLE PLAY AS THEY PLEASE. If they want to be part of a group, fine. If they want to be a lone wolf, that is fine too. And if they want to do nothing but fill their canteen in lakes and hunt animals to survive and never go near a town or interact with any other player or zombie or anything else let them do that too.

Why is there this widespread attitude, and I see this in all sorts of games/sims, of forcing people to play a certain way because that is how YOU think they should play? Having everyone doing the same thing, in the same way, all the time, is boring.

[/quote']

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

Have a balanced scenario that works for many different types of play. There should not be any type of forcing of a certain play.

This is after all a sandbox game. You play as you want to play it.

Having these forced scenarios would only limit the game.

You play as you want to play it.

Having these forced scenarios would only limit the game.

I agree with you. Renegade0260 did say one thing I agree with' date=' however.

In a real zombie apocalypse situation you would have to be Chuck Norris to survive alone.

But it's ok, as I am Chuck Norris.

:D

TKJ

In a real zombie apochalypse situation you would have to be Chuck Norris to survive alone.

However' date=' I think the respawn timers need work, after a Z is dead, it should not respawn for at least an hour, perhaps up to 3 hours, meaning players can clear towns for a while, at least giving enough time to form a PVP battle over a key building/resource or something.

[/quote']

I wonder if being all alone is actually as bad as you guys are thinking. You will have a lot less drama to deal with, and you're able to go to a lot more places because you don't have to drag someone along with you. I think being all alone is actually somewhat better, you aren't seen that fast also than with a group. And you won't die because someone else fucks up.

I wonder if being all alone is actually as bad as you guys are thinking. You will have a lot less drama to deal with' date=' and you're able to go to a lot more places because you don't have to drag someone along with you. I think being all alone is actually somewhat better, you aren't seen that fast also than with a group. And you won't die because someone else fucks up.[/quote']

It's not bad - AT ALL. That's how I play.

I love, LOVE sitting outside a small town, and watching the action unfold around me. The other night, while I was looking around a town (from the safety of distance) a group of three survivors rolled through - and I mean ROLLED through. They were running as they approached the town, aggro'd about 20 zeds, and ran away in the direction from which they came.

I thought, "wow, that's cool" as I heard the gunshots, and immediately ran in to loot the buildings that they had inevitably drew the zeds away from.

I retreated to the darkness, certain they hadn't seen me, and watched as only TWO returned, to find some empty buildings. One of them fell over and died about 20 feet from me, obviously unable to patch up the blood that was pouring in low resolution from his body.

Fun times.

TKJ

Being a lonewolf(as I am) definitely has it's advantages, as much as playing in a group has it's share.

Regarding the versatility of this I have no real complaints. Both these playstyles can be as enjoyble, and are as "doable" as one another.

I've stayed alive a lot longer running solo. I don't normally go into the large cities, but I will loot the outskirts. I will intervene from time to time when someone is being overrun with zombies if the guy is using a Markarov and doesn't have a bandit skin. But normally I hide in the presence of others or nearby gunfire.

It's just me and my shotgun, it's been working for me.

Here is my issue with the increased zombie count and decrease of spawn time.

I play solo and prefer living off smaller villages away from the coast. Do not hunt people. I just came to the conclusion that for this style of play no weapons except PM and a crossbow are feasible. There is no use to them. Well, maybe there are some low-noise military guns that would be good too (I have not tried all of them yet), but I disregard them because they are too rare and cannot be counted on being acquired on a regular basis.

If respawn rate was smaller, there would also be use for sniper rifles, because then I could take luxury of spending time clearing some of the area from a distance. But as it is, knowing that if I do so, I won't have enough time left for looting by the time z's respawn again - I just don't bother with rifles.

Yesterday was the first time when finding an assortment of rifles in a barn didn't get me excited, to my surprise. I had a crossbow with no arrows left and actually decided not to swap it for any of the available ammo-accompanied rifles, so useless they are.

Same goes for PM - the best handgun now is the most silent one. I am no longer tempted to change it for 1911 or a revolver.

This is not a complaint, just a statement of how the new zombie count changed this aspect of gameplay for me. The game remains to be a lot of fun, although the joy of finding better weapons is no longer a part of it, for my style of play.

I think zombie numbers are great I just feel that there to concentrated in areas and need to be spread out a little more like in the tent camp next to the air base they get stuck under the watchtowers where the loot is and you can never get it without really steering the whole lot like for example instead of 40 zeds being by one barn why not 5 grouped by it and 35 scattering and wondering around making the journey to the barn more tactical than just running up to it than sneaking at the last second to avoid the group. Don't know just thoughts I love the Dev's and am grateful for whatever you do to help further that game.

I think it lends an interesting look at a potential direction for the mod - that zombie-concentrated areas can simply never be entirely cleared. Maybe it would be more interesting if it was flat-out impossible(or maybe just very improbable) to hold a city the way we can now. Maybe instead' date=' towns are only worth entering as smash-and-grabs; get what you need, get out, make sure you have a plan the entire way. Most of the upset about the zombie numbers lies in how people are used to hunkering down until the zombies stop coming, rather than trying to make an opening to escape.

[/quote']

I like this.

After playing a few hours with 1.5.7, I no longer have any problem overall with the increased zombie spawn. I spawned in Solnichniy once and was able to sneak through and loot most of the town, and even though I did end up pissing off a horde twice I scavenged enough ammo that I had plenty to deal with them. I only started playing in 1.5.6 so I can't say anything about previous releases, but zombies went from a minor nuisance to a "I must think about all actions before doing them and really keep situational awareness at all times".

Starting off after a death is tougher, and I do agree that if possible there should be some areas that are less densely populated with zombies but also only contain beginner loot like bandages, makarov mags, and food. For any new guns, packs, or better supplies you're going to have to go into the bigger population centers, but at least there would be a place where you could scrape up enough to just barely get by if you had to burn through a bunch of ammo just getting out of the starting area.

I myself love the new amount of Zombies. I have never been killed by a zombie (only other players) and I have played this mod for a week now. The trick is to go proned and a mind for patience in to towns, think a little. And to all players who bought this game to play this mod, atleast play the ArmA 2 tutorial before you try to enter a town with the d*ck in one hand and enfield rifle in the other.

P.S would love to see some sort of lvl system, not to restrict but to award players who actually try to survive.

My only gripe with this is how fast they respawn in the exact place I just cleared. I kill 20-40 zombies only to have them back before I can pick up my beans. I mostly just sneak past them but when you have a heavily armed group and you're commited to clear a part of town of zombies and loot without having your face in the dirt all the time, you're just wasting ammo. The numbers in which they (re)spawn are good, they just should not respawn so fast or atleast not on your head/in the area where you just killed 30 of them.

Also I know their pathfinding is not perfect and they have to be sped up as needed to keep up with the player. But having zeds with their speed and animations sometimes insanely sped up absolutely eliminates chance of getting some distance between them and you, no matter what obstacles you come up with. So it comes down to the good ol' exploiting of their causal walking pace when in most buildings where you can kill them by hundreds if you have the ammo. IMO they should be sped up to keep up with you but this boost should have some cooldown, meaning they will be always at your tail but sometimes you'll get some breathing space, can turn around and do something before the children of sonic and speedy gonzales on crack will zigzag infront of you at speed higher than the speed at which you can move your gun, which is pretty rigid no matter the fps.

Okay' date=' so still people don't realize this is an [b']Alpha. If you do not know what this means - go look it up on wikipedia RIGHT NOW.

When I fix one bug, many can crop up.

I fixed some zombie spawning bugs, time syncing bugs, and now there are alot of zombies. This became apparent in testing, but rather than delay the patch release by a few days (too many people are helicopter dying) the update was released.

So yes, the zombie numbers weren't my intention - but now that it is here, let us see how they play out. Maybe we might actually learn something from it or maybe everyone just wants to jump to conclusions in the first ten minutes...

You release an alpha bit of software to the public and you're going to get alot of complaints.

People aren't use to this kinda thing so you should know better than to expect otherwise and secondly you've got thousands of testers testing you product so be grateful.

edit: the zombie numbers aren't a problem, its the spawning around players only and zombie spawn in's right in front of you also you can be crawling through 10 zombies at very close quarters and none notice you then from 50m away a freshly spawned zombie will run at and attack you meaning you've just alerted the 10 that where right next to you... that bug is certain death.

I think overall for a mod in such an early stage has fewer bugs then people realize, and for Rocket to be creating this mod by him self is a testament to game development.

As for the zombie numbers i think there is nothing wrong with it like come on if this was real life your not going to idly walk through a town or city and run into a few zombies its going to be a hive of hungry zombies waiting to rip you from limb to limb.

As for issues Ive only seen two minor problems first is zombies spawning late when entering a town so they in fact spawn next to you. Second are zombies spawning on top of a building or roof then falling thru or walking off to there undead demise.

Over all i think keep up the good work Rocket of all the zombie mods/missions Ive seen and there code yours is the most optimized and holds great promise of been more then just a Alpha.

PS happy birthday

Well in my opinion there is no need for guns anymore since if you shoot at an attacking zed, then you will have the whole town/village on you, yes yes its nice that you have to sneak more but you should be able to shot a few zeds without alarming the whole town/village .

An other thing is the pure number of zeds guarding a single barn or a small farm. 10-20 is just silly it should be five tops (farmer his wife, son, daughter and perhaps an assistant;)). Yes its nice with more zombies but common now its plain out silly. About 400-600/server should be ok but the majority should be concentrated around major cites.

I personally liked the abandoned feeling with the game and previous pach and that some smaller settlements could be empty while others where full of zeds.

and yes im a solo player ;) Trust no one:P

English is not my native language so spelling police please think before you post;)

After playing with new zombie spawns for a while I have to say I absolutely love this clear improvement. Hard to survive them alone, but easier as a group.

But I feel it needs even more zombies.

After playing it for a while now I LOVE the new zombie numbers. It is much harder to survive but it is slightly easier in numbers. In my playing I've grouped up with 3-4+ survivors a bunch of times more than normal since this was implemented, as I feel people know they must team up to have any chance of surviving sometimes. I've given supplies to team mates and they have given me blood transfusions - people work together more it seems.

I do feel that the zombie respawn timers need to be changed, toned down. That is being changed in the new update however so no problems there!

The amount of people I have to remind that this is an alpha. >_>

And tbh, for an alpha it isn't too buggy, haha.

Just to put my vote in I'd like to say that I am happy with the zombie count where it is now with 1.5.7. If/when the zombie animations are polished up, I'd say the count should go up, but for now, I wouldn't touch it!

I for one think you are doing an amazing job and will try to survive the onslaught as best I can. Thanx for the challenge.

I say keep the number of zeds (HELL. MOAR.), but maybe slow them down? I dunno. Just a thought. Either way: I LOVE IT.