rocket

Patch 1.5.7 and this being an Alpha and fucking zombie spawns

Perhaps zombie numbers should drastically increase inland as well as the potential loot' date=' while costal towns should mostly go back to the regular size?[/quote']

I believe Rocket said that the increased zombie count was the result of some other fixed code. It doesn't sound like it's going to be permanent, but I'm sure he's taking all of this into account.

How am I supposed to get some loot from a crashed helicopter? I can get in as a gunner or save it' date=' but that's about it.[/quote']

I don't know if they've fixed the bug, but I've heard about more than one helicopter that killed people for sitting in it. I'm desperate to find one, if not for the novelty value alone.

TKJ

love all the zombies' date=' zombies are actually a threat when entering towns now

[/quote']

Totally agreed. I really really reccomend keeping the zombie numbers. It made it terrifying/ a challenge. But not TOO hard of a challenge you know? Just enough to really keep you on your toes.

If they get lessened, I'll be saddened to see them go for sure.

I cannot express how much I love the new zombie numbers. Spec-fucking-tacular.

Okay' date=' so still people don't realize this is an [b']Alpha. If you do not know what this means - go look it up on wikipedia RIGHT NOW.

When I fix one bug, many can crop up.

I fixed some zombie spawning bugs, time syncing bugs, and now there are alot of zombies. This became apparent in testing, but rather than delay the patch release by a few days (too many people are helicopter dying) the update was released.

So yes, the zombie numbers weren't my intention - but now that it is here, let us see how they play out. Maybe we might actually learn something from it or maybe everyone just wants to jump to conclusions in the first ten minutes...

Please stop comparing this game to a non-existent real world zombie apocalypse scenario.

It is a video game.

It isn't as much the number of zombies that upsets me, its the consequences:

1. They cannot be evaded

2. They will never stop chasing you unless you kill them

3. They run fast and zig zag

4. They respawn before you can clear them all

5. They teleport into buildings

With lower zombie population, the above problems were bearable. Now they are not. Maybe if some or all of those points are fixed, it will make the increase in zombies tolerable. Until then the mod has been undeniably nerfed, anyone claiming otherwise either has a teamspeak 3 server with 15 people in it or is ignorant to the truth. The game SHOULD be playable solo. It should not require a group of 10+ people to survive.

Please stop comparing this game to a non-existent real world zombie apocalypse scenario.

You say "non-existent". I say "forthcoming".

;)

TKJ

I love the high number of zombies.:heart: You really have to creep around now!

The only thing that's a bit stupid is the respawning. Also they could run a _bit_ slower

Zombie spawns are actually good.

This means it's very dangerous to go into towns and such. Which is good!

Zombies should respawn very slowly.. then if you notice not a lot of zombies in your area.. maybe someone already went through and cleared them out.. ;D

love all the zombies' date=' zombies are actually a threat when entering towns now

[/quote']

Totally agreed. I really really reccomend keeping the zombie numbers. It made it terrifying/ a challenge. But not TOO hard of a challenge you know? Just enough to really keep you on your toes.

If they get lessened, I'll be saddened to see them go for sure.

I agree here, I love the new zombie count. Makes the entire thing much more challenging. The feeling of being rewarded when you actually find a rifle, or hell even a can of beans when your running low is MUCH more satisfying. I get much more adrenaline with 1.5.7 than I EVER did with any of the previous versions.

Good to hear this is just a bug. Imo the zombie numbers atm make the game unplayable to a large degree.

I gave this new challenge a go with a colleague and I have to admit that I like that a stealthy approach seems a lot more rewarding now. However we were in Staroye, a small village, that could accomodate about 30 inhabitants tops but we encountered more than twice as many zobies which was a bit immersion breaking. The other thing I noticed is that they do not react to thrown empty tin cans or whiskey bottles at all which makes a stealthy approach almost impossible since their count is that high that the chances of getting through the village undetected are very slim (mind you we were prone to make absolutely sure we wouldn't anger any of them but they move faster than you can get out of their way).

Player killing might see an increase (I never did it so far) because it's less ammo intensive and easier to get provisions (off course the killing is going to shift from cities to more remote areas).

But I find this bug an interesting opportunity to examine the changed dynamic and think that a slightly increased zobie-count (compared to the last release) might add to the immersion.

In case Rocket is paying attention to this thread, there seems to be a growing consensus that the numbers are fine, but 1. Spawn rates need to be lowered, 2. Zombies should be significantly slower so that they can be killed from afar, and 3. Their hearing or aggro should be less sensitive.

In case Rocket is paying attention to this thread' date=' there seems to be a growing consensus that the numbers are fine, but 1. Spawn rates need to be lowered, 2. Zombies should be significantly slower so that they can be killed from afar, and 3. Their hearing or aggro should be less sensitive.

[/quote']

I disagree. While this opportunity has shown that an increased number of zombies might benefit the feel of the mod, the current number seems to high. To encounter more than 60 zombies in a village that could accomodate half of them is immersion breaking and unrealistic since zombies are just humans that were infected. Following this path of reasoning one would expect no more than 30 zombies in a village that could accomodate only 30 people before they were infected.

I have to say, at first I hated new zombie levels being really new to the game. Now that I have a lot more experience I love them.

Keep it as it is. It's so much harder now to survive without wasting all your resources.

Would be nice if you could actually clear an area for a while though.

The numbers are awesome. I got trapped in a church with a horde outside. It was quite fun. That's how the game should work... right?

I had a funny moment last night where I had just gone into a small warehouse to look for some loot and another person walked in the opposite side followed by a zombie. It was dark so I lay there waiting wondering if he'd seen me..he shot the zombie with a winchester then he threw a flare I realized I'd been spotted, he didn't shoot but suffering from pk paranoia I just crawled my way out of the building and crawled under a fence.

I watched for about 3 minutes as more and more zombies came wandering (some running, some hoping, some walking) to surround the warehouse. Not sure if the flare was attracting them or they'd been alerted by the gunshot.

I wanted to help him..but was too scared to fire my gun..so I said sorry and crawled away like a snake..

Which really is a much better outcome than what would have happened before based on past experience.. he would have burst into the warehouse..shot me..looted my stuff..and run off.

Well, after coming across a bunch of low-tier weapons, I think I can say that a combination of sneaking, running indoors when hordes come, and picking towns over for ammo when we can results in a challenging game for my four man group.

I can see how lone wolves would find the new level of zombies to be very intimidating, but I suppose they just need to get better at sneaking :P

I agree with the people saying the spawn timer needs to be increased, but the current number of zombies is spot on. I like the idea that it's forcing people to work in groups!

That's what people should be doing in survival situations!

I have to say i wasn't keen on the amount of zombies at first, but it makes the game a lot more challenging and no more looting towns unless you really use the stealthy approach. But if i can be so bold, not complaining, just observations. Zombies a bit slower maybe... when they detect you, and the server lags its almost impossible to shoot them until they have knocked six bells out of you and you look like a butchers window. Everything else, i can adapt to...yes even the long Waiting on Server message, the mod is in Alpha, so with time it will only get better and when the noob's clogging up the servers get pissed off and go back to Battlefield 3, the rest of us will be able to enjoy this awesome mod. Thanks Rocket...much appreciated.

I like the idea that it's forcing people to work in groups!

That's what people should be doing in survival situations!

The problem is, this is still "just a game" and there is literally nothing at stake for most people (Cause they don't take this shit seriously). And based on my expierience with the general internet population, people will be running around the spawn areas killing off random strangers and being dicks in a plethora of ways, not even caring about consequences for their characters.

//Edit: Just an Idea that just popped up in my mind: With numbers like this, slow Zombies actually become a possibility, don't they? I personally prefer slow Zombies who overwhelm you by numbers and not by force. It would also be fun to see how people react, what tactics they develop and so on (Since just going loud on a horde of a few walkers would attract a LOT more of them and you'll probably run out of ammo)

Since the patch all servers have been experiencing high amounts of lag and desync.

I notice this the most when my friends or I piss off a horde. I believe that the zombies scripts or path-finding when chasing a player put a massive load on whatever server its on.

The only real fix is hopefully a more optimized way of running the zombie AI.

The problem is' date=' this is still "just a game" and there is literally nothing at stake for most people (Cause they don't take this shit seriously). And based on my expierience with the general internet population, people will be running around the spawn areas killing off random strangers and being dicks and plethora of ways, not even caring about consequences for their characters.

[/quote']

I suppose I've been lucky, since myself and a few other aussies usually team up and chat over Skype. Still, if you get away from the spawn areas, move a little ways inland, then you should run into more survivors who actually try to work together.

The game is still in alpha, so hopefully the influx of spawn killing dickweeds will dry up, and the ones already misbehaving will get bored and leave after the 50th time they get eaten by zombies.

//Edit: Just an Idea that just popped up in my mind: With numbers like this' date=' slow Zombies actually become a possibility, don't they? I personally prefer slow Zombies who overwhelm you by numbers and not by force. It would also be fun to see how people react, what tactics the develop and so on (Since just going loud on a horde of a few walkers would attract a LOT more of them and you'll probably run out of ammo)

[/quote']

I wouldn't mind zombies 'running' at a slower pace, at least one that makes it possible to outrun them after a while. They're infected, malnourished, and brain dead: having them run at the speed of a crackhead out of hell just makes it impossible to survive on your own if a horde starts chasing you.

I personally dont like this many zombies because it is almost impossible, especially at night. Last time i was clearing a small military baracks camp ( sw of the nw airfield ) with a buddy. We killed loads of zombies and then we got into a building. We were sure we killed em all except from 1. When i shot that monkey atleast 25 or more runners came and just overran us. Where they came from.. I dont know but it was a pain in the ass.

More zombies is alright, but or make em slower so they are easier to shoot, or put the respawn time of em down because it looks like you can't clear a barn in the middle of a open field without thousands of zombies spawning all around you. I personally dont even play in the the evening aswell anymore because its actualy to difficult on daytime already.

More zombies is alright' date=' but or make em slower so they are easier to shoot, or put the respan time of em down because it looks like you can't clear a barn in the middle of a open field without thousands of zombies spawning all around you. I personally dont even play in the the evening aswell anymore because its actualy to difficult on daytime already.

[/quote']

The problem at the moment is that they respawn way too fast to be able to clear a place for more than a few minutes.

Right now, I'm quite happy with the amount of zombies spawned when you enter a town. If the place I've just cleared could stay clear for at least half an hour, rather than an almost endless onslaught every few minutes, that'd be much better.

[quote name='Duckman404' pid='26554' dateline='1337151733'

The problem at the moment is that they respawn way too fast to be able to clear a place for more than a few minutes.

Right now' date=' I'm quite happy with the amount of zombies spawned when you enter a town. If the place I've just cleared could stay clear for at least half an hour, rather than an almost endless onslaught every few minutes, that'd be much better.

Thats exactly what i mean because now it is just getting impossible to survive a big town if you wanna get supplies. And if it is possible to get out alive you'll notice that you lost more resources than you actualy gained.