Sign in to follow this  
Whyherro123

Primitive weapons

Ammo reloading is a complex process, it requires tons of machines and tons of necessary components. Besides, if you were required to reload for most of your ammo, primitive weapons would end up being the majority of weapons regardless, so your argument is null.

No it doesnt...  Lee sells hand reloading kits that dont require a press and consist of literally 5 little tools.  They also lead cast bullet molds in very caliber 

I have a Lee turret press and Dillion progressive reloader in my garage right now.... its as easy as pulling a handle. 800 rounds of 9mm in an hour. 

And I wasnt suggesting removing ammo spawns, I was talking about adding reloading as an option as an example of something that might be useful 

Edited by captainvette2112

I would LOVE to get a look at the dev's sprint board. 

I think it would be interesting to see just how many sprint points (Dev time) have been used on items that NO ONE USES....

Sickle, pitchfork, farming woe, ashwood bow, WalkieTalkie, Amphidia S, improvised backpack, blood bags (because of the blood type system)... these are just off the top of my head.  I bet the list is much longer.  

And you guys want them to spend more time creating something that less than 5% of the population will ever want or use ?  At a time when there is literally F-all to do in the contentless game?

It blows my mind 

Would be cool to see more basic melee options. Even basic crafting recipes for it. That duct tape has gotta be useful some day, amirite?

I like the idea of knife + stick + duct tape = improvised spear/pokey thing.

Not really seeing a specific need to refocus the combat towards favouring melee in some drastic way to support it. It'd just be an alternative to an axe or baseball bat. That said, the mechanics of melee combat are still in their early stages and will hopefully be more robust in future.

I'd love to be able to be able to duct tape a pitch fork to my rifle. Then you'd be in for some serious ass-forking X-D

No it doesnt...  Lee sells hand reloading kits that dont require a press and consist of literally 5 little tools.  They also lead cast bullet molds in very caliber 

I have a Lee turret press and Dillion progressive reloader in my garage right now.... its as easy as pulling a handle. 800 rounds of 9mm in an hour. 

And I wasnt suggesting removing ammo spawns, I was talking about adding reloading as an option as an example of something that might be useful 

Where do you get the smokeless powder and primers from? You might have enough for several months to a couple of years, but what happens 5 years down the road?

Reloading is something I want to see in the game, but have it be entirely player-driven. You have to gather the components, make the primers, add powder, cast the rounds, etc, not just hit the action command "reload x cartridges"

Adopting primitive weapons will be useless in dayz.

Just like the bow and the crossbow the primitive weapons will be a week long distraction then nobody will use them.

Primitive booby traps would get used.

Well, Dean Hall said that he wants to make guns very rare, so primitive weapons actually could become useful. 

• Like 1

Well, Dean Hall said that he wants to make guns very rare, so primitive weapons actually could become useful. 

Guns arent rare and Dean Hall is leaving.. so theres that 

Guns arent rare and Dean Hall is leaving.. so theres that 

Dean Hall is leaving after the game goes to Beta, and they said they want to make guns rare. Not that they are rare ^^

Dean Hall is leaving after the game goes to Beta, and they said they want to make guns rare. Not that they are rare ^^

I haven't seen anything about guns being more rare. I've seen talk of military guns being more rare.

I am not against this route by the way.

The thing is if they do go this route there is no going back. They have to start from scratch and emphasize the primitive weapons and make the m4 the rarest gun out .

Start from scratch and focus on third person perspective. Melee in first person will always lack any skill as there is no peripheral vision, so you have to glitch around to keep your opponent in your frame for any possibility of dodging or blocking, which are going to be rough as well, since there is little true sense of depth.

Start from scratch and focus on third person perspective. Melee in first person will always lack any skill as there is no peripheral vision, so you have to glitch around to keep your opponent in your frame for any possibility of dodging or blocking, which are going to be rough as well, since there is little true sense of depth.

this is a joke right

this is a joke right

Sadly no, which is why I'd rather see this game stay focused around something that can actually be simulated well in first person, namely, shooting.

I see primitive weapons as good stealth options for hunting and zombie dispatch - while avoiding unwanted attention. PvP not so much for all the reasons already stated. I do think they have a place, as long as they do t interfere with also carrying a long arm.

Edited by makomachine
  • Like 1

Because I have 200+ rounds of ammo is more reason why I shoot first.

What else is it for? Infested? Melee takes care of them perfectly fine(gets a little hectic with a few after you). Even when hunting was in the mod I never used ammo to hunt.

I hope when they start balancing the loot on the hive(which is the plan down the line), that ammo and firearms is one of the things that is made very rare almost like the helicopter engines.. Finding 3 bullets should make me happy even if its for 3 different guns that I dont have.

You want this to be a hardcore survival game.. Make it so..

Right now its just a fps with more features... People can still be deadly.. This would just make you decide on should I use my ammo on the guy running across the field? Or save it for when im overrun with too many infested?

I'd like to see a lot of crafted, primitive weapons which are okay to defend yourself but not totally overpowerd.

Nota Cola Bola

1 x Rope

2 x Cans Nota Cola (tied to the end of the rope)

Can be thrown around neck or legs of another player

(Should work with Pipsi and Kvas or ordinary stones as well. Maybe Pipsi could add some splash damage.)

2x4

What was good for Hacksaw Jim Duggan should be good enough for my survivor.

Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

hacksaw-jim-duggan-514.jpg

Slingshot

slingshot.gif

Should have a possibility to be lethal on distances up to 20m. (Maybe 30m, not sure... I don't want to get hit on 50m distances. Could still have enough power to destroy an eye.)

Edited by Survivor35
  • Like 1

no CaveZ please, id like "primitive" weapons that are modernized, like a sledgehammer, but these kind of things, like a broomstick with a duck taped knife to it break from just whacking it against a wall a few times.

the thing is these weapons take mastery, and i mean YEARS of practice, would be dumb if some guy off the street takes out 3 m4 guys with a sling after just spawning.

no CaveZ please, id like "primitive" weapons that are modernized, like a sledgehammer, but these kind of things, like a broomstick with a duck taped knife to it break from just whacking it against a wall a few times.

the thing is these weapons take mastery, and i mean YEARS of practice, would be dumb if some guy off the street takes out 3 m4 guys with a sling after just spawning.

How is a sledgehammer "modernized"? I have no idea what that actually means. All it is is a weight on the end of a handle. That is about as primitive as it gets!

And, protip, a sledgehammer would be a truly horrible CQC weapon. If you miss, you are wide open for retaliation. Actual medieval warhammers were not all that different in size from carpenters hammer's today. 

And yes, if an M4 wielding baddie manages to get taken out by a sling-wielding survivor, he should feel bad. That meant he had no situational awareness, none whatsoever, and essentially allowed himself to be ambushed and played for a fool.

Primitive weapons (and CQC, for that matter) are ambush weapons. If you try to rush an assault-rifle wielding dude with a spear, you should get shot up for being a dumbass. But, if you manage to ambush said guy, stick your spear through his torso, then take his gear, you should be rewarded.  With his gear. :P 

They would promote tactical thinking, including amushing, ranges, etc. Not running through Berezino sticking everything you meet with the pointy end.

I welcome any move that modern firearms (especially military gear) become much more rare. Primitive weapons are obviously the way to achieve that and still maintain a possibility for armed conflicts.

Regarding the primitive weapons: It shouldn't get too much "Lord of the Flies" like but not too much hollywood like either. Even though I'm a practitioner of swordfighting myself in real life the last thing I want to see is people running around with a katana or any other sword. Even chainsaws are too much cliche. It would totally kill the postapocalyptic atmosphere. What we have right now regarding close combat weapons is already fine for me and the thing I'd like to see the most is, that they actually become useful. A knife in your hand should place you in a clear advantage over a Bambi, which all seem to be Klitschko breed and can knock you out with two hits to the head. A baseball bat or crowbar should turn every zombie into a twitching picture of misery in no time.

Don't get me wrong: A makeshift spear or a spiked club are certainly awesome and add some mad max flavour but they aren't 100% necessary currently while DayZ is facing a shitton of more basic development problems right now. Moreover I'm not sure if Arma has even the best engine to implement close combat with spears and other weapons in an actually satisfying way.

To make my day: Give us the possibility to make our own ammo and make hunting rifles like the sporter or the double barrel the most common place modern arms out there

Edited by ColdHeat

How is a sledgehammer "modernized"? I have no idea what that actually means. All it is is a weight on the end of a handle. That is about as primitive as it gets!

And, protip, a sledgehammer would be a truly horrible CQC weapon. If you miss, you are wide open for retaliation. Actual medieval warhammers were not all that different in size from carpenters hammer's today. 

And yes, if an M4 wielding baddie manages to get taken out by a sling-wielding survivor, he should feel bad. That meant he had no situational awareness, none whatsoever, and essentially allowed himself to be ambushed and played for a fool.

Primitive weapons (and CQC, for that matter) are ambush weapons. If you try to rush an assault-rifle wielding dude with a spear, you should get shot up for being a dumbass. But, if you manage to ambush said guy, stick your spear through his torso, then take his gear, you should be rewarded.  With his gear. :P 

They would promote tactical thinking, including amushing, ranges, etc. Not running through Berezino sticking everything you meet with the pointy end.

well a sledgehammer is modernized because its still used today, i guess.

but anyway, you didn't cover how it literally takes multiple years to train in this kind of thing, its SUPER unrealistic, the average man cannot use a sling to kill someone, id be willing to say you have a 1/100,000 chance in actually succeeding, not to mention only a few people in the world today can actually use a sling. and shrimpy weapons like a knife on a broom stick again break in like 2-3 hits, if you even cut, might as well just use the knife, its way easier, and WORKS rather then a duck tape spear.

thing is in an apocalyptic situation people don't just pull out their old medieval weapon collection and start killing people in full military attire in the streets, and using plastic broom stick duck tape kitchen knives and start running around surviving, you would probably die in a week or two. you might as well use a shovel because its at least 5-10 times more efficient.

Edited by over9000nukez

Survivors aren't properly trained to use spears and other primitive weapons proficiently.

The same could be said for firearms.  I know some individuals that would take ten minutes to figure out the safety catch and promptly blow their own foot off.

• Like 1

The same could be said for firearms.  I know some individuals that would take ten minutes to figure out the safety catch and promptly blow their own foot off.

Guns are a lot easier to master and the difference between a pro and someone who only knows the basics isn't insanely large. The latter would have less accuracy and that's pretty much it (the rest is minor). The difference between an experienced sword wielder and a newbie, for instance, is really big. A pro can easily make a clean cut through steel, while an amateur has difficulties with making a clean cut through a straw doormat.

..//..  heavy blunt thing to use as a weapon.

..a rock in a sock

Guns are a lot easier to master and the difference between a pro and someone who only knows the basics isn't insanely large. The latter would have less accuracy and that's pretty much it (the rest is minor). The difference between an experienced sword wielder and a newbie, for instance, is really big. A pro can easily make a clean cut through steel, while an amateur has difficulties with making a clean cut through a straw doormat.

Yeah but guns don't say "put 7.62 rounds in me" on them anywhere there's a lot to work out and yet your character can just instantly use any weapon effectively.

If they're a soldier or something they shouldn't be able to use an old WW1 or WW2 gun perfectly, yet they do so why make it difficult to use primitive weapons? That's just silly really there's no sense in making shooting and maintaining a gun easy but making swinging a hammer around hard any retard could do that.

Throwing a spear and having it hit on target would be hard but that's about it, would be kind of stupid to throw your weapon away in the game anyway, though it would be a cool feature just not as the main usage of a spear.

Anyway I'm all for primitive weapons, tape a rock to the end of a stick or just a sledgehammer.

The former may break in a hit or two but it'd still bash a skull or break some bones, if they were the only option you had they'd be good.

And as said guns should be MUCH rarer.

I don't think you should be forced to stay in one server exactly but it would be cool if there was some way for it to require starting over on each so nobody could spam loot drops or go on a noob server with the best weapons and wreak havoc.

Maybe when servers can hold more players, imagine you were tied to the one server and just nobody but you went on it ever.

Maybe they could add in superglue to make homemade weapons a bit sturdier.

Yeah but guns don't say "put 7.62 rounds in me" on them anywhere there's a lot to work out and yet your character can just instantly use any weapon effectively.

If they're a soldier or something they shouldn't be able to use an old WW1 or WW2 gun perfectly, yet they do so why make it difficult to use primitive weapons? That's just silly really there's no sense in making shooting and maintaining a gun easy but making swinging a hammer around hard any retard could do that.

Throwing a spear and having it hit on target would be hard but that's about it, would be kind of stupid to throw your weapon away in the game anyway, though it would be a cool feature just not as the main usage of a spear.

Anyway I'm all for primitive weapons, tape a rock to the end of a stick or just a sledgehammer.

The former may break in a hit or two but it'd still bash a skull or break some bones, if they were the only option you had they'd be good.

And as said guns should be MUCH rarer.

I don't think you should be forced to stay in one server exactly but it would be cool if there was some way for it to require starting over on each so nobody could spam loot drops or go on a noob server with the best weapons and wreak havoc.

Maybe when servers can hold more players, imagine you were tied to the one server and just nobody but you went on it ever.

Maybe they could add in superglue to make homemade weapons a bit sturdier.

Firearms are a lot easier to use than melee weapons, let alone homemade ones.