Sign in to follow this  
dtrain7055 (DayZ)

KOS always!

I am new to this game... only have played for the last 4 days. I am on my 8th character. One was learning the keys so that doesn't really count but it's a life non the less. Second got fully geared out finally got a m4 was looting and got so used to not seeing people I let my guard down. Guy followed me in the building and shot me while organizing my equipment. Noob mistake! Third another KOS while trying to be friendly. And so on... u get the picture. I have been KOs on friendly servers with my weapon put on my back ( because why on a friendly server would I need to have it ready) KOS on no bandit KOS servers. And it all remains the same no matter where u got. I watched you tube thought that though there are assholes there are also good people. I've met ONE. and the only reason we actually got to playing together was because I was a fresh spawn and he didn't fear me. I didn't want it all to be rainbows but wtf... people with I'll intent can't at least say something, Rob me whatever instead of KOs all the time? So now unless I am absolutely certain I will do the same and KOs unfortunately and I suggest to new players you do too.

You were KoS'd on "Friendly Severs" ? Good.

• Like 3

i played about 300 hours, and met about 20 friendly players.

oh, and dont join "friendly" servers. normally there are people, just waiting for someone like you to join, to kill you

And so the circle continues. Another one to add to the shitlist with the rest of the KOS'ers.

Too bad you couldn't be another rare speciment with good will and not fall to the dark side.

• Like 1

99.99% of people shoot on sight and it will ALWAYS be that way. These would be about the 20,000th post expressing the exact same thing. How we'd like the game to be at any given point in time and how it actually is are a massive contrast.

You got killed on dayz?

who would of thunk it 

• Like 2

I've got about 150+ hours in standalone and I've met several friendly players but I've met many more who want nothing more than the gear in my pack or my rifle. There are friendly players out there but are far outweighed by the kos kiddies. Hang in there but by all means play how you want to, just remember that there is no such thing as a friendly standalone server. Admins have limited control over their servers and enforcing a no PvP policy violates the rental agreement. People will try to trick new players with server titles like no PvP loot only or no kos but don't be fooled. Also never let your guard down, even with freshies, they have nothing to lose and your gear to gain. Most of the people I meet are "friendly" when they are on the buisness end of my SKS

I´d like to be kos`d again, i think the last 8 times i died from glitching off something or falling off something. I always say to me "don`t use the ladder, don`t use the ladder" but then i use it again and when i reach the top of a building my char first goes into prone position then stands up again and starts to run and fly like an eagle, into the future

Well it still infuriates me when I watch you tube videos of people KOS. I think it's Fucked up considering you can just spawn into any server from where u last started and just wait for supplies to come to u while holding down say the military base. I still don't want to be a KOS type of guy but damn I'm tired of finally getting shit and then dead. I watched the videos and thought hey if I get robbed cool, hey if I get in a gunfight because a guy tried to rob me whatever. I think KOS passes me off most because there is no interaction taking place. I thought the different dynamics where interesting with ggroups struggling to survive some bad some good but ultimately requiring more interaction before the given conclusion. Maybe death, maybe robbery, maybe friendly, but at least some interaction to get caught up in that gets u going. KOS has no role play to it which like I said is what probably leaves me so dissatisfied. Oh that was it? I'm dead? Wow how anticlimactic was that?

welcome to the club sir that is dayz. did you think this was a apoc sim well you were wrong sir. folks have no-intent except to brag and gloat and make stupid ass youtube videos. I bet OP had the same thoughts as some of did that the game would be realistic in the sense that the world would be so difficult to live in you would need other human but alas the game is so damn easy that all you can do to add difficulty is have everyone murder each other for no fucking reason except the latter I mentioned. goodluck OP everyone KOS's now from what I understand atleast, go with the flow or end up drowning.

Well it still infuriates me when I watch you tube videos of people KOS. I think it's Fucked up considering you can just spawn into any server from where u last started and just wait for supplies to come to u while holding down say the military base. I still don't want to be a KOS type of guy but damn I'm tired of finally getting shit and then dead. I watched the videos and thought hey if I get robbed cool, hey if I get in a gunfight because a guy tried to rob me whatever. I think KOS passes me off most because there is no interaction taking place. I thought the different dynamics where interesting with ggroups struggling to survive some bad some good but ultimately requiring more interaction before the given conclusion. Maybe death, maybe robbery, maybe friendly, but at least some interaction to get caught up in that gets u going. KOS has no role play to it which like I said is what probably leaves me so dissatisfied. Oh that was it? I'm dead? Wow how anticlimactic was that?

yep that's exactly the game I was hoping for but I got this and unfortunately its the only one out right now so I have to put up with it or play something else.i blame most of these issues you speak of on the zeds goddamn they are atrocious and it'll probably be another year before they are implemented correctly.

I wish they would just stop everything and do nothing but fix those buggers they are the most important aspect of the game IMHO and with out them we have a deathmatch game with permadeath.

To the OP, yes well feel your pain. There are countless threads here on the forums about it, its part of Dayz. Trust me Dayz is not the same game when you remove the PvP element, I've admined for PvE servers in the mod. While it can be a good place to kick back in, you lose something from the game. It becomes a loot simulator and then you start to get bored with it. Its survival of the fittest at this point in Dayz and with zeds being glitcy/bugged and low in numbers the only real thing to do is get stuff and go hunting for others.

You stated that you've watched YouTube videos and saw people shooting on sight yet you didn't seem prepared for it to happen to you. Don't get attached to your gear, Dayz can be a cruel mistress. Other people are the wild cards in this game, that's what makes it so appealing. This game is still incomplete, there are many things the devs are working on and when we get them things will calm down but they will never go away

Rules to survive.

NEVER LET YOUR GUARD DOWN.

ALWAYS ASSUME AN AIRFIELD HAS PEOPLE IN IT AND SCOPE IT OUT BEFORE HEADING IN. EVEN WHEN THERE'S ONLY 2 PLAYERS IN THE SERVER.

LOOT AT NIGHT

FIGHT WITH FRIENDS, NEVER ALONE

ALWAYS LOOK BEHIND YOU

DON'T TRUST ANYONE...... AND NEVER NEVER TURN YOUR BACK ON A FRIENDLY YOU **JUST MET**

ZOMBIES GIVE AWAY YOUR POSITION IN AIRFIELDS SO AVOID THEM WHEN POSSIBLE

WHEN LOOTING IN AN AIRFIELD, ALWAYS ACT AS THOUGH YOU ARE BEING WATCHED.... BECAUSE YOU MAY BE  ;)

I've managed to stay alive from just after day1 and still on the one character. Never killed or been killed and luckily avoided death by glitch. I'm not talking about just sitting under a tree in the forest for 100 hours either and considering that a survival milestone. I move around a lot in the 30 + servers but I'm ridiculously careful how I do that. So it's possible to survive without "KOS" but maybe just too boring for the majority perhaps. 

Like pabloottowa said, dont trust anyone, its a lesson that I have learnt the hard way many times. A lot of the time, anyone who says ''Im friendly I wont shoot'' generally want to shoot you or take all of your items. Not always but usually that is the case. Just be cautious, but don't kill them instantly because many people out there like being friendly and that is their approach most of the time. Only 30 mins ago in NE airfield someone shouted ''Im friendly come down'' to me, only to come up the staircase 5 seconds later trying to shoot me. Good job my mosin was a one hit kill.

And about the airfield thing as well. People who are too protective with their gear like to join low player servers when entering an airfield to avoid being killed by bandits, so it is a good idea to watch out even when it seems pointless to do so.

And if you have no luck, please dont resort to being one of them. Usually KOS'ers create more KOS'ers when they make people rage, but it just contributes to ruining the game slowly and even though it is 'fun' to some people it is much more fun imo to help others out.

Good luck!

Edited by Brim1944

I have found plenty of friendly people but, as mentioned before, they are usually without much gear.

The friends I play with usually shout out "friendly" when we see new people. Unfortunately in some cases these people freak out/have bad intentions and engages us on the spot.

As mentioned above, it truly helps to have some friends in hiding, weapons pointed at your new "acquitance"

Edited by Axel335

Don't join "friendly" servers. normally there are people, just waiting for someone like you to join, to kill you

This can't be said enough. There is no such thing as a friendly server.

If anything the admins might be nice guys with good intentions, small odds but could happen :p

But no incentive for other people that join them to follow that "rule".

I say "rule" since it's actually written in the rules that there is no such thing.

Since most people that shoot you after talking, start with "friendly". I don't, I say "hi buddy", give them some time to adjust.

I hold my weapon in my hands, but not readied.

When they are accustomed to my presense, I start chatting a bit more. Ask if they need some stuff (or can miss something), ask if they know where they are or need directions.

This has resulted in an average of 4/10 friendly encounters, which I find a very good ratio.
Mind, that's not counting the full military gear people with 2 long rifles, a fireaxe and tactical vest.

Some things that will get you shot:

- Walk into any airfield carrying a good rifle (m4, sks, mosin), especially when looking geared

- Same applies for the big cities (Elektro, Cherno)

- Sneaking up on people, when I notice a guy with a gun readied walking around me, I assume he's up to no good

Some things that help not getting shot:

- Wearing colourful clothing (yellow raincoat)

- Bright colourful backpack - not the xxl one (xxl screams "I've got tons of gear")

- One visible gun and one melee (if you like a 2nd, get sawed off shotty or pistol)

- Random chatter, in a clear, calm voice, stating your intention (looking for food/trade/team up/...)

- Stick to smaller towns in center of map

I don't understand people complaining from getting KOS on an airfield. It's a military site, you only show up there to get guns.

Once you get your pimped out guns and good camo gear, what are you going to do there? Start a campfire, roast beans and sing kumbaya?

Once the game is a bit more fleshed out and they actually have things to do for friendlies, like farming, or building a camp, it may get more interesting.

Right now, I see no other end goal of all this gearing up then shooting. 

Mind, I try to stick to one rule of thumb: shooting happens on even grounds, against someone with a good weapon and enough gear. Thats why I head for NE airfield.

If I encounter someone on the way that needs help, I'll gladly explain how to find stuff, and warn him he should be geared up before seeking out NE.

This is why I just join any day servers and don't focus on what the name of the server is unless it says night.

Strange, my encounters are few, but have mostly been the opposite. I have run into players on 5 occassions in the last month. (not a huge number, I keep to myself :D) But of those encounters, all but 1 have been friendly and I haven't died to a player encounter. I'd been robbed of my rags & knife once when starting out, mostly due to having not set up my comms keys properly and my mic being muted. (A group of kids, they were more interested in hunting other groups)  I've encountered 3 friendlies without needing to draw a weapon, and was ambushed once by a friendly who thought I was tracking him.  The hostile encounter was while retreating from an area I was trying to scope in on some bandits in an apartment building. While retreating I came across 2 groups of bandits/hunters that merely just opened fire. Not a word said. Fortunately, for what I lack in stalking/ambush ability, I make up for in evasive retreating. :)

I like watching how players like Frankie can seem to control a situation, but I know that it's an edited production, and he has more than enough current general shooter experience and DayZ experience to back himself up if things do turn a bit pear-shaped. It's been about 9 years since I'd played shooters online prior to DayZ. :D

• Like 1

I don't think there is such a thing as a "friendly server". I fell for that trick thinking I would join one to learn how to move around, aim, shoot, etc. I've been killed twice by other players because I let my gaurd down. I'm not going to KOS though... I just won't be that guy.

I've played for the last 5 dayz and had 2 lives

First life,

spawned in berizeno, it was completely looted, headed to the ship rify and it was looted, headed to the NEA and found 2 guys, they were friendly gave me a gun, ammo, food, water, etc. their friend joined them and he killed me and gave my gear to his friend because he wasn't geared. I was basically an extra backpack the whole time.

2nd life

I spawned on the hill near the NEA, I looted kresnatov and headed to the airfield, got extremely good clothing, camo vest, pants, shirt, hunter backpack, gas mask, boots, an sks a magnum and all. I got a message on steam so I headed to the forest and laid down near some bushes. I made sure it was safe to go look at my message. I looked and in the middle of replying a zombie started hitting me, i got up and ran, I was bleeding I turned around and shot the zombie, I fell out unconscious amd laid there for a few mins then died. My fault on this 1 though.

You were KoS'd on "Friendly Severs" ? Good.

• Like 1

There are no friendly servers, they do not exist. Its a shame you havent run into me, im friendly. Although if you dont put your gun down and come at me, you die.

I think it's messed up you haven't figured out there's not much to do for most people in SA yet and haven't gotten Epoch and DayZ mod for Arma 2 :) You were looking for dramatic? Sorry but this isn't Days of our lives

Edited by Xenology