The only way i can see body armor,..would be player made ones,..you would need several items to make one. and even then I'm still unsure it should allowed,..not at this level of the game's development. We need other mechanics in first before this could be properly tested

The only way i can see body armor' date='..would be player made ones,..you would need several items to make one. and even then I'm still unsure it should allowed,..not at this level of the game's development. We need other mechanics in first before this could be properly tested

[/quote']

What? Why? Just add body armor as skins or w/e. Whats so hard about it ?

Body armor cant stop anything above a shotgun or pistol. Its rare to be engaged by those' date=' and I dont think the community wants body armor. I know I dont.

[/quote']

You really don't know what you're talking about.

There are different levels of body armor protection. Level IIIa protects against almost all handgun rounds. Level III protects against most FMJ intermediate and full length rifle cartridges, 7.62x54R for example.

Level IV protects against armor piercing cartridges. It will stop an armor piercing .30-06 in its tracks. Considering the player model spawns with a chest rig and plate carrier (additional layer of body armor that soldiers are issued) and you see dead soldiers and police every where, finding and using body armor doesn't sound that far fetched.

Body armor cant stop anything above a shotgun or pistol. Its rare to be engaged by those' date=' and I dont think the community wants body armor. I know I dont.

[/quote']

You really don't know what you're talking about.

There are different levels of body armor protection. Level IIIa protects against almost all handgun rounds. Level III protects against most FMJ intermediate and full length rifle cartridges, 7.62x54R for example.

Level IV protects against armor piercing cartridges. It will stop an armor piercing .30-06 in its tracks. Considering the player model spawns with a chest rig and plate carrier (additional layer of body armor that soldiers are issued) and you see dead soldiers and police every where, finding and using body armor doesn't sound that far fetched.

Yea not sure what that guy is talking about.

I support this idea if it takes up the same slot as a backpack.

Either this or you can't sprint / get tired very fast. Or perhaps only the lvl 4 would take the backpack slot.

Some of the annoying things that wearing body armour brings in real life are the following.

Weight and bulk.

Body armour weighs a lot, Osprey armour ( British Issue ) is getting on for about 35 lbs, that is a pain in the arse to wear especially with the weight of all the equipment and weapons that you carry...you are looking at about 120 lbs total.It restricts your breathing and you sweat a lot more in it and it hampers your agility to a certain degree.

Protection

It matters little in respect to what rounds your armour could protect against if you end up getting shot in any place that the plate does not cover!

You are looking at a plate across the torso and the back, sides if you are happy with carrying even more lbs.....you will get shot in the face or the bollocks, which you might not have...if you were not so slow and knackered from wearing that heavy armour.

Survival

Before this became a free for all sniper war, the main aim was to survive...making hard decisions in a brutal world. Choices of what to scavenge and what to leave, the hard choice of leaving items behind in the gamble that you just might find them somewhere else or your new item will keep you alive for a little longer.

Think how much 35 lb weighs.

Think how much water, food, medicine or ammo you could carry in its place....and all for the gamble that you might get shot on a 8 inch by 10 inch plate and be lucky.

I understand that the likelyhood if this were added is that it would be rare. I really don't like pushing further seperation of player survivability. The fact that a player sporting only a small handgun has any chance against a geared out NV sporting maniac is already revolutionary and a level of freedom most games don't offer. I don't see how this is any different from players leveling up and having more health. The Vets will always have these and the new players will always wonder why that guy didn't die when they shot them. Everyday people suggest things to increase how long characters survive in DayZ. I feel like people miss the point of this mod, you aren't supposed to survive forever. The difficulty and unforgiving nature is what makes this fun. Body armor would turn this into every other game that forgives you for making mistakes. If you were shot in the back why should you get a chance to defend yourself? This is a "keeping score" mentality, as if whoever has the most kills eventually wins. Would there really be a difference when you're shot in the back and spin around to find your attacker also has body armor and you die anyways? Think about how these things effect the mod as a whole and not just your individual character. I play DayZ because it's not every other shooter, if body armor were implemented it would need to be very well thought out. I'm against shifting the theme of the mod away from difficult survival, you shouldn't ever feel "safe".

Though body armour won't stop anything above a shotgun or pistol, I think this idea would work. If you could make it to an air field or a chopper, you could have armor that would protect you from a great number of close range encounters. It would be useful, but not too useful. It's a perfect balance.

Bumping this because it's the original thread and because other forum users don't know how search for a damn thread.

Bumping this because it's the original thread and because other forum users don't know how search for a damn thread.

I was thinking the same thing.

hey this is actually a good idea.

But main reason of BA is to prevent bleeding and thus save life. So I would make it that body armor gives you 90% protection from bleeding if hit in the chest, but 30% more chance to have broken bone. Damage by shot would be same.

I would like to see IBA as well with the neck and groin protection, CIRAS which would make you slower and more fatigued if full, but you could hold more items in inventory, Chest Rig which will make you faster and less fatigued ( without any protection as well) , also less audiable, but you could hold less items and cannot equip coyote backpack (it needs mole system) but you could equip a new one - airborn backpack which can hold many items, but only one medium sized weapon or two sidearms.

Also since there is czech backpack i would include mns-2000 system (it would make 2 more item space with slight increace of fatigue/reduced stamina) and czech camo. All of it is in arma already.

Also I would make it precious and included with some skins (military skin - chest rig/iba, special forces/pmc skin - ciras, civilian - none/chest rig)

But this is stuff for final version. This is alpha :)

hey this is actually a good idea.

But this is stuff for final version. This is alpha :)

Your probably right. Well it would be nice to see it in 2.0.

I may have said this before, but, I know for a fact that you don't make "more noise" when you have better sapi plates.

The things that make noise are half-empty canteens, loose ammunition or boxes of it bouncing around in your pack, a loosely fitting backpack, etc. Anyone who doesn't logically stow away things in a backpack is just begging to be picked off. If you have excess ammunition, you stuff clothing around it, and boots on top of that; whatever are the lightest items you have (baby wipes, bandages, tourniquets, etc.,) go at the top of your pack.

When a patrol stops and someone is thirsty, every Marine better get thirsty real fuckin' fast. We never let something as small as that give away our position, before we want it to be given away.

Thirst, hunger, and temperature (this would be a great way to introduce heat exhaustion and heat stroke!) I can understand though.

About 20 new threads around body armor have popped up, this was one of the originals. People really need to learn how to do a Search on forums. Posting 5 different threads on the same subject is rude, and leads to a lot of clutter!

+1

why not, it might as well be construction paper for someone blasting at you with an anti-material rifle but it would be nice to give you a step up on some buffoon with a makarov and if it gave you a slight bit of protection from Zed attacks that would be fine by me

in the end its one more cool thing to find

As many have said it before, let's not make this a game where you can ever feel safe. It's not an arcade shooter, it's a survival game. Body armor shouldn't ever save you from a surprise attack in the back. That's my only concern. At the max, I suppose it could save you from bleeding but it should multiply your chances of having a broken bone when shot.

Also, slower movements related to weight and aiming.

Lol, have only one per server that only resets when the armor is untouched for a week (changing server would simply make it drop on the ground in the original server, it would be like cars, no transfer between servers).

For people asking for some sort of mole vest, think of how much ******* space you already have on yourself at first without a backpack... It's a bit more than two little front pockets and 2 back pockets...

+1 I think this a good idea. It would only spawn in military bases of course.

i like the idea, you could have it give you a slight amount of protection, and even make it break after it takes to many shots (as thats what actually happens to the ceramic plates in body armor) and make them only spawn on military base zombies to make them somewhat rare.

+1 for this it would be one of the first things i look for during any post apocalyptik scenario

its just a shame thats bucky paper bodyarmor (31 times stronger than steel and 4 times lighter) still needs a few years of research

but military zombies should have a chance to wear it there were most likely in combat before they got infected

I could imagine that body armor would be an effective idea but if this was added there would have to be different levels. For example a lighter ballistic vest would be something related to the molle vest some characters ware by default but the more advanced would be something like "dragon scale" ballistic vest which can stop .45 caliber rounds (colt m1911) which is quite a large caliber and can stop m67 grenades from point blank range if this was added and was realistically accurate to actual body armor it would be very cool indeed.

For people asking for some sort of mole vest, think of how much ******* space you already have on yourself at first without a backpack... It's a bit more than two little front pockets and 2 back pockets...

Chances are this would take up your backpack slot.

Doubt it would make much difference when people have military shotguns.

/signed

Would add variety to player-attire, as well.

Edited by Sroek