Sign in to follow this  
Johnny Depth

Have the devs addressed the gamma night vision issue?

Guys,

I usually play at night with gamma turned all the way up because it is way easier.  However, last night I played with my team and we turned gamma down to normal levels and we used head torches and a portable lamp to make our way around our town.  It really brings the eerie factor back to night time play and we had a blast.  

I was wondering if the developers were going to change the gamma input to enforce a more realistic night time? 

Thank

No, and they probably never will until the game is either completed, or they have implemented more powerful lights, and nightvision to make it more favorable to play on night servers. That, or until they add in GPS and building mechanics to make it safer to just mark places in the night, and travel back home after looting by marking the house with GPS.

This will not happen until these things happen because majority of the player base is either alone, or playing with friends on and off, and in night servers, if you're alone at night with a light, you're screwed, as others with their gamma up will be able to effectively see you from a mile away.

Edited by Dr.Burd

Guys,

I usually play at night with gamma turned all the way up because it is way easier.  However, last night I played with my team and we turned gamma down to normal levels and we used head torches and a portable lamp to make our way around our town.  It really brings the eerie factor back to night time play and we had a blast.  

I was wondering if the developers were going to change the gamma input to enforce a more realistic night time? 

Thank

I wish they would fix it soon its actually epic looting by lantern light ,switch it on and put it away and the glow surrounds you very erie hearing zeds in the darkness

• Like 1

No, and they probably never will until the game is either completed, or they have implemented more powerful lights, and nightvision to make it more favorable to play on night servers. That, or until they add in GPS and building mechanics to make it safer to just mark places in the night, and travel back home after looting by marking the house with GPS.

This will not happen until these things happen because majority of the player base is either alone, or playing with friends on and off, and in night servers, if you're alone at night with a light, you're screwed, as others with their gamma up will be able to effectively see you from a mile away.

Dosent matter if ya gamma is up or down...a light broadcasts your location either way. I thought pulling out the renderer was going to help with this....maybe I got confused though :)

PS I hope we never see those floating on screen waypoints in-game. We should have to actually look at the gps screen just like the compass :)

• Like 1

PS I hope we never see those floating on screen waypoints in-game. We should have to actually look at the gps screen just like the compass :)

Indeed.

I'd imagine they'll be able to implement a solution once they've ripped out the renderer.

ARMA III pretty much has solved it already. It doesn't make darker areas brighter in any regard.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/139346-remove-gamma-and-brightness-settings/

ZVK0Qhm.jpg

Never mind that just tweaking the nights as to not be as black as this forum's background, would work wonders, so that people wouldn't NEED gamma tweaks just to play at night.

• Like 4

Its not totally fixed but once again ... if everyone can do it - legitimately - then its not an exploit.

id like to see them to turn off the gamma from the options.

• Like 1

Its not totally fixed but once again ... if everyone can do it - legitimately - then its not an exploit.

Sure, but it's still debatable as to whether it's beneficial to gameplay. There are many things that aren't explicitly "exploits" which I believe are detriments (i.e. TS, sidechat/globalchat, etc.)

And your use of legitimate is subjective, what defines legitimate in this case? One can make the argument (I'm not) that looking through walls is legitimate, as it's able to be done by everyone as well.

like endless mags? or looking trough walls per glitch....ohh then its ok huh...

atm the night is pitch black... even with gamma on max...

its no fun to join on any nightserver :(

Edited by quantum2k6

No, and they probably never will

Well, there is your answer.. LOL, uh.. end thread? 

:facepalm:

• Like 1

like endless mags?

See my post again, "Legitimately" - meaning by legit ways, like adjusting FOV or Gamma.

And your use of legitimate is subjective, what defines legitimate in this case? One can make the argument (I'm not) that looking through walls is legitimate, as it's able to be done by everyone as well.

I mean by this that the option is offered by the game to all - like FOV or Gamma settings.

I mean by this that the option is offered by the game to all - like FOV or Gamma settings.

Well, I mean theoretically, anyone can download a hack. Or look through a wall in-game, or clip into a building.

I certainly get what you're saying, for sure. But I'm just not sure it's as worth it getting caught up in "legitimate/illegitimate" as it is just discussing why X is beneficial/detrimental to gameplay.

Anyhow, I'm sure there's something in the TOS dealing with it regardless.

Well, I mean theoretically, anyone can download a hack. Or look through a wall in-game, or clip into a building.

I certainly get what you're saying, for sure. But I'm just not sure it's as worth it getting caught up in "legitimate/illegitimate" as it is just discussing why X is beneficial/detrimental to gameplay.

Anyhow, I'm sure there's something in the TOS dealing with it regardless.

Sorry but in what language do you want this? The gamma setting is in the game -  In the game. Are hacks part of the game? Come on people, lets not lose all senses over this :)

like endless mags? or looking trough walls per glitch....ohh then its ok huh...

If clouds off>gamma 75% >brightness 75%   Doesn't let you see (at least a little) one of two things is happening....

1, Server is in a stage of the lunar cycle where it doesn't give off enough light to light anything....or...

2, You are in that time just after the sun goes down and the moon hasn't risen yet. (in this case 45mins-an hour should see it come up) then the gamma trick will work again ;)

I love the pitch black. I think its very realistic and actually makes torches/lanterns/chemlights and flares (when we get them) very usefull, nothing like hearing infected everywhere in the mod but only being able to make out a shadow against the sky, or having one sprint out of the void into your little lit area, was awesome:)  

• Like 1

I've had a good deal of fun on night servers. By fun I mean a terrified heart pounding nervous reck of a time, but isn't that why we play DayZ in the first place?

You absolutely need a flashlight otherwise it's impossible to find loot and no fun at all because you literally can't see a thing. But if you have a light then it really can be a heart pounding experience with lots of dilemas and choices. Do you risk turning on your light for the little bit of loot in that building?

I've had a good deal of fun on night servers. By fun I mean a terrified heart pounding nervous reck of a time, but isn't that why we play DayZ in the first place?

You absolutely need a flashlight otherwise it's impossible to find loot and no fun at all because you literally can't see a thing. But if you have a light then it really can be a heart pounding experience with lots of dilemas and choices. Do you risk turning on your light for the little bit of loot in that building?

ohh well i play like that too and i was in the army with alot outdoor training, i know what a night without a light looks like.

but if u cant see your hand infront of your eyes your body and mind changes the prioritys... u hear much better and thats the problem in dayz.

u cant just simulate a night which is pitch black without give the player another "sense" to compare the handicap....

i feel totally lost in the night ... but hey its alpha ;)

Edited by quantum2k6

Why they just dont do what arma 3 did with that "the game simple lowers color bit depth dynamically to compensate" ? problem solve

I'd imagine they'll be able to implement a solution once they've ripped out the renderer.

ARMA III pretty much has solved it already. It doesn't make darker areas brighter in any regard.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/139346-remove-gamma-and-brightness-settings/

ZVK0Qhm.jpg

Never mind that just tweaking the nights as to not be as black as this forum's background, would work wonders, so that people wouldn't NEED gamma tweaks just to play at night.

Are you sure about that? Last time I checked (and I play Arma 3 frequently) the gamma exploit works almost just as well as it did in Arma 2.

• Like 1

Are you sure about that? Last time I checked (and I play Arma 3 frequently) the gamma exploit works almost just as well as it did in Arma 2.

No idea if this was a mod or if it's vanilla ARMA III. I just recall the discussion and demonstration.

id like to see them to turn off the gamma from the options.

I hope that is sarcasm.

No idea if this was a mod or if it's vanilla ARMA III. I just recall the discussion and demonstration.

Currently I play both Vanilla and Breaking Point and I don't see much difference to Arma 2, I haven't heard or seen any other mods with regards to gamma glitching.

• Like 1

I dont now how they can solve the gamma problem maybe severly limit how much it can be adjusted as really is anyones screen that old and dead that it requires that much gama to brighten it up??

As for mr it aint an exploit huh do you know the definition of an exploit?? thats using in game mechanics in a manner not intended by the developers so hmm do you think they intended you to turn nights into a brighter greenie grey version of day ??? answer nope or they wouldnt have bothered having night or making it dark at all ,the gamma is in to adjust it to suit your screen thats one setting for day and night not a setting for day and another for night.

So it is actually the very definition of an exploit dont like to hear your exploiting sorry but those are thye facts if you cranking gama up at night your exploiting but yeah dont feel to bad lots of you are doing it...

Edited by SoulFirez
  • Like 1

ohh well i play like that too and i was in the army with alot outdoor training, i know what a night without a light looks like.

but if u cant see your hand infront of your eyes your body and mind changes the prioritys... u hear much better and thats the problem in dayz.

u cant just simulate a night which is pitch black without give the player another "sense" to compare the handicap....

i feel totally lost in the night ... but hey its alpha ;)

True, your ears really do pick up the slack in real life but it's not like the Zombies or other players in DayZ will have an advantage over you. BTW, since the latest patch I've started keeping any head lamp that I come across. It comes in handy by leaving your hands free for important stuff like shooting or hacking. Night time is very playable with one of these. There aren't many people that play night time and since the latest .44 patch there aren't very many zombies around. I completely ran through an entire town without one Z chasing me.