Sign in to follow this  
Naberius (DayZ)

This patch is littertly game breaking.

Theres a very very very good reason for the timer, did you read this?

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/23tzhy/just_spent_a_few_hours_on_stable_here_are_my/ch0rhzj

No I didn't; I don't really use Reddit much. However, that seems like a pretty ridiculous reason to add a timer to people who are playing the game within the boundaries of the rules.

A three hour session on one server shouldn't result in having to wait five minutes when you decide to switch. Hopefully they fix that ASAP.

EDIT: Now that I've read a few posts from that link, why exactly does it matter when someone enters a server? Whether it's getting right on another server or waiting five minutes, it's still going to impact performance. Do they trickle data onto the server as you sit there waiting for five minutes looking at a 95% black screen?

Edited by Grimey Rick

Are all members retarded on this forum. Just because it's in alpha stage, it doesn't mean they shouldn't fix biggest problems in the game. I'm having a break from this game for a month now, because I lost everything to a single zombie, who killed me with a single shot, who glitched through a wall and my hand gun was apparently shooting blanks.
They made 30million, maybe they should use that money to get experienced designers and scripters.

Maybe you should aquire some patience, you where told this game isnt gonna be finished untill 2015, so why the rush?

Would you rather they just make quick and dirty fixes and release a broken game faster?

Alpha doesnt mean fix it, it means add more crap on top of the already smelling pile of crap and see what happens, are you new to early acces games?

Beta means fix what we broke in alpha, and make it stabile enough to release.

You cant just take alot of money and hire a "magic scripter guru", especialy on an engine such as this.

It takes many years to learn your way around it, and we dont have time for that, thats why they are using people who knows the engine.

But you also has to realize they are trying to make this engine do things it has never ever been designed to do or even remotely done before.

And i just want to clarify something, you are taking a break from a very early alpha, because theres bugs? Awsome.....

No I didn't; I don't really use Reddit much. However, that seems like a pretty ridiculous reason to add a timer to people who are playing the game within the boundaries of the rules.

A three hour session on one server shouldn't result in having to wait five minutes when you decide to switch. Hopefully they fix that ASAP.

EDIT: Now that I've read a few posts from that link, why exactly does it matter when someone enters a server? Whether it's getting right on another server or waiting five minutes, it's still going to impact performance. Do they trickle data onto the server as you sit there waiting for five minutes looking at a 95% black screen?

You are misunderstanding it.

It doesnt matter how long you have been on a server, that is not the point.

The point is that the way they have the servers and the database (HIVE) communicating atm, is causing a giant stress on the entire system and they have made this timer, aka "the quick and dirty fix" in order to releave some of the stress on the system, untill they can create a better solution.

But they cannot create a better solution untill they optimize the server abit more and make it more stabile, so its an ongoing process which will take a long time to accomplish.

Basicly what happens during the timer is, you get queued to retrieve information from the database, if this didnt happen 9/10 people would not load they're gear correctly.

So instead of having nearly 2 million people trying to retrieve data at the same time, the database can handle it one query at a time, making the whole system much more stabile.

Its not hard to understand, its the exact same issue as in the mod and frankly if people cant wait a small amount of time, to ensure you are loading your character correct, while a better and much more robust solution is being worked on, you have to teach yourself to be more patient.

joined a random server.. got kicked cause server rebooted at the same time.. waiting 300 seconds now... 

Maybe you should aquire some patience, you where told this game isnt gonna be finished untill 2015, so why the rush?

Would you rather they just make quick and dirty fixes and release a broken game faster?

Alpha doesnt mean fix it, it means add more crap on top of the already smelling pile of crap and see what happens, are you new to early acces games?

Beta means fix what we broke in alpha, and make it stabile enough to release.

You cant just take alot of money and hire a "magic scripter guru", especialy on an engine such as this.

It takes many years to learn your way around it, and we dont have time for that, thats why they are using people who knows the engine.

But you also has to realize they are trying to make this engine do things it has never ever been designed to do or even remotely done before.

And i just want to clarify something, you are taking a break from a very early alpha, because theres bugs? Awsome.....

You are misunderstanding it.

It doesnt matter how long you have been on a server, that is not the point.

The point is that the way they have the servers and the database (HIVE) communicating atm, is causing a giant stress on the entire system and they have made this timer, aka "the quick and dirty fix" in order to releave some of the stress on the system, untill they can create a better solution.

But they cannot create a better solution untill they optimize the server abit more and make it more stabile, so its an ongoing process which will take a long time to accomplish.

Basicly what happens during the timer is, you get queued to retrieve information from the database, if this didnt happen 9/10 people would not load they're gear correctly.

So instead of having nearly 2 million people trying to retrieve data at the same time, the database can handle it one query at a time, making the whole system much more stabile.

Its not hard to understand, its the exact same issue as in the mod and frankly if people cant wait a small amount of time, to ensure you are loading your character correct, while a better and much more robust solution is being worked on, you have to teach yourself to be more patient.

Yeah, that's where I'm confused. I don't understand what they've changed that's forced them to implement this fix. I've never seen a thread on these forums about gear not loading correctly. Is this correlated to "character wipes" people sometimes complain about? Are they attempting to prevent that from happening anymore? I've been reading Rocket's posts on Reddit and I don't really understand what the sudden need for this timer is based on.

This patch has pretty much screwed dayZ so hard, I will not be playing anymore of it until these bugs are fixed.

I understand this game is alpha. Im not saying this game should be flawless, and I understand completely that no patch is going to be the end of all the bugs there are right now. But im saying this patch has LITERATELY broke the game in so many ways.

The two biggest offenders are the item locks, and the movement glitch. 

The item lock is a constant bug that seems to happen as soon as you get hit and go into bleed out. This bug makes it so that you CAN NOT USE ITEMS, only inspect them. I don't know FOR SURE how to get this bug to activate, but for me it is always after I get hit and start to bleed, either from zombies or other players. Any of you who plays this game knows that this is CRIPPLING in a fight. Not being able to manually reload (magazines still work) or use bandages is a sure fire way to a quick death, and this has happened 5 times. Today. The only way to fix this bug is to log out and log back in...luckily there is always that retarded log in counter for a good 8 minutes. Im not sure WHY this needed to be uped from 5 to 8 but ok. I guess they did int have any other important things to work on right?

The movement glitch ive mentioned is when you attempt to vault over a small fence. If it works, good for you. If not...you are going to have an unfun next 20 minuets. You can try as you might to hop over a little obstacle but it wont work, youll get tired, and try and walk around it....only to find yourself jumping up and down, non-stop, while moving forward. And AFTER that stops in the next 10 minuets your character will cease to move for the next 10 as well. The only way to move is to mash the W key as fast as you can. This has ALSO killed me a good 3 times.

I wont go into the other retarded changes this patch (Like making zombie vs melee combat HARDER instead of, you know...making melee combat less clunky and awkward to being with. Or adding a drastically increased server log in time) But these two patch inducing bugs are more than enough to turn me away from the game as of now.. I can only hope they realize this issue and patch these bugs ASAP.

Have you tried bug reporting these issues before deciding to post your complaints here?

Yeah, that's where I'm confused. I don't understand what they've changed that's forced them to implement this fix. I've never seen a thread on these forums about gear not loading correctly. Is this correlated to "character wipes" people sometimes complain about? Are they attempting to prevent that from happening anymore? I've been reading Rocket's posts on Reddit and I don't really understand what the sudden need for this timer is based on.

The way I interpret it, the timer does not actually make any real technical difference to server performance in itself - it doesn't require 180 seconds or 300 seconds or 600 seconds in order to load your character and inventory. But user connections and disconnections do cause general strain on the servers, and the timer is there only as a disincentive for players to swap around. It's a punishment - a blunt, inaccurately-targeted punishment - so that you and I will be less likely to want to disconnect from our current server and then connect to a different one. It's supposed to be a pain in the arse - that's what it's there for.

They can't stop people from disconnecting and reconnecting, obviously - all they can do at the moment is try to encourage players not to do it unless they really need to (like at the beginning of your play-session and at the end).

I may have got that wrong, but that's how I read it.

Then you havent looked hard enough tbh mate :) Theres a ton of posts with people loosing gear, getting characters reset and spawning on the beach for no reason.

This is as i understand it:

The timer started out as a simple combat log prevention mechanic, and they then realised they needed to do something about the character loading/saving, because more and more people are complaining about this, loosing items, complete character wipes, etc.

So as i see it, they extended the combat log timer to give the database much more "time" to work with, as far as i know they are using MySQL for the DB, like the mod and it can only go so fast, so with almost 2 million people trying to retrive information from the database, it is under really heavy pressure.

So they added more time to the combat timer (as i understand it increases if you switch server alot?) to first of all, try to give a clear sign to people that they dont really want them to change server that often and second, to give the database alot more time to handle the many queries.

This means the entire system is abit more stabile for now, but they need to come up with a better solution to handling the traffic to and from the DB, and the logging timer will give them the "space and time" needed to develop such a thing.

Sure its not the most optimal solution, its kinda quick and dirty, but it works and theres a very good purpose to it AND it wont be like that forever imho.

The process of logging into a server is the number one stress factor for the entire server and database system, because its the only time it will ever send such a large amount of information.

So if people where to log in and out conteniously, without a timer, data will get lost in the "clusterfuck" it creates.

Also, it prevents lag and desync since logging into a server is also the number one factor for this to happen.

Thats how i understand the entire situation :)

The way I interpret it, the timer does not actually make any real technical difference to server performance in itself - it doesn't require 180 seconds or 300 seconds or 600 seconds in order to load your character and inventory. But user connections and disconnections do cause general strain on the servers, and the timer is there only as a disincentive for players to swap around. It's a punishment - a blunt, inaccurately-targeted punishment - so that you and I will be less likely to want to disconnect from our current server and then connect to a different one. It's supposed to be a pain in the arse - that's what it's there for.

They can't stop people from disconnecting and reconnecting, obviously - all they can do at the moment is try to encourage players not to do it unless they really need to (like at the beginning of your play-session and at the end).

I may have got that wrong, but that's how I read it.

Not just general strain, more like over the top insane overload on the entire system, according to the devs at least :)

The rest i agree with mate, well written.

I think it's time to stop writing "it's alpha". This is ridiculous, shouldn't take this long to fix two of the biggest game ruining bugs, zombie glitching and all melee weapons as well as most hand guns being useless.

It will be time to stop saying "its alpha" when it is no longer alpha. Use that lump of meat encased in your skull called a brain.

Ive played a lot now and nothing was broken for me.. or game breaking for that matter.

You should take the game out and blow into it a bit and see if that works?

nintendo-cartridge-660x439.jpg

Edited by lrish
  • Like 4

It will be time to stop saying "its alpha" when it is no longer alpha. Use that lump of meat encased in your skull called a brain.

Read my post above d**kwad

Read my post above d**kwad

You're really just coming off as another whiner with no patience.  Report the bugs, start over, and keep looking for more bugs.  The only reason to get into early access is to help bug test, not to get early access to a finished product.  My friend fell through a floor the other day and got beaten to death by 5 zombies.  His response was "well that sucks, grab what you can off my corpse and I'll re-gear."  NOT "this game is so broken I can't believe I paid money for this the devs are lying and are just sitting on our money waaaahhhh.".  

Be useful or don't be useful, just keep the whining to yourself.

• Like 1

I think what a lot of people are missing here is that people have paid for this product. As such they have the right to expect a certain standard to come from the game. They payed for an Alpha and thus should expect an Alpha and all it's problems till it goes into beta stage, if it ever reaches that point.

However people should be able to expect a certain standard from the developers even at an Alpha stage. They should expect as high quality updates as can be provided and quick fixes on issues which need fixing, such as those described by OP. If a bug cannot be fixed for whatever reason, the dev's should communicate as such in a clear manner, not leave people to figure it out for themselves.

Honestly, the dev's are doing a pretty terrible job at communicating. I should not be forced to go to 5 different websites to discover what Rocket or another dev has said, it should all be in one place, what is easily accessible by anyone. They are also doing a pretty terrible jobs with these patches. Either they are broken, which can be expected in an Alpha, and take a while to fix or introduce pointless features at this stage, such as the timer when joining servers.

• Like 2

I think what a lot of people are missing here is that people have paid for this product. As such they have the right to expect a certain standard to come from the game. They payed for an Alpha and thus should expect an Alpha and all it's problems till it goes into beta stage, if it ever reaches that point.

However people should be able to expect a certain standard from the developers even at an Alpha stage. They should expect as high quality updates as can be provided and quick fixes on issues which need fixing, such as those described by OP. If a bug cannot be fixed for whatever reason, the dev's should communicate as such in a clear manner, not leave people to figure it out for themselves.

Honestly, the dev's are doing a pretty terrible job at communicating. I should not be forced to go to 5 different websites to discover what Rocket or another dev has said, it should all be in one place, what is easily accessible by anyone. They are also doing a pretty terrible jobs with these patches. Either they are broken, which can be expected in an Alpha, and take a while to fix or introduce pointless features at this stage, such as the timer when joining servers.

I'm not sure there's much to agree with in your post, I'm afraid.

As I understand the development process - which I freely admit may not be correct! -  there is no such thing as a "fix" at this early stage. The objective is not to provide a well-balanced, properly working "game" until much further down the line. Everything is a work in progress, and much of the content is incomplete or functioning poorly. (And the timer for swapping servers is not pointless, by the way.)

The objective is just to develop the game - the order in which new features and technical adjustments are made does not necessarily make sense from the player's point of view, but I assume that it does make sense from a development point of view. The "game" as a playable experience has got worse with the latest patch - I agree - but the development process is still going on, and it will get better again.

When the game is released, nobody will care that version 0.44 was a horrible mess. It just doesn't matter, as long as we get the end product. Yes, we've paid money, but we've paid less than we would have if we waited for the final version. I still think it's a good deal.

Edited by Pillock
  • Like 1

Ive played a lot now and nothing was broken for me.. or game breaking for that matter.

You should take the game out and blow into it a bit and see if that works?

nintendo-cartridge-660x439.jpg

My game genie helps alleviate the problem :D

You're really just coming off as another whiner with no patience.  Report the bugs, start over, and keep looking for more bugs.  The only reason to get into early access is to help bug test, not to get early access to a finished product.  My friend fell through a floor the other day and got beaten to death by 5 zombies.  His response was "well that sucks, grab what you can off my corpse and I'll re-gear."  NOT "this game is so broken I can't believe I paid money for this the devs are lying and are just sitting on our money waaaahhhh.".  

Be useful or don't be useful, just keep the whining to yourself.

Like Lumeria above me said, I paid for this product, I have my right to complain or suggest. I never said the game was broken, and my whining can only improve the game. Go through all my posts, never once did I write this game is shit, at your 35 posts to this date, I have surely contributed more to this game on these forums than you did.

Jesus wept that looks bad lol

What looks bad?

I never had those problems, and i can't even imagine what the hell you should do to get them, today i jumped for like 7 fences and patches 5 ppl with bandages + myself.You ppl are weird 

the link to the game you put up.

the GAME looks bad

Lol. You paid for DayZ's pre-alpha and you think DR looks bad? Wow...

Jesus wept that looks bad lol

Are you kidding? That game looks fuckawesome!

I hate to agree with a rage topic, especially a misspelled one, but as of the last patch my game appears to be almost, actually unplayable.

I am currently staring at the server browser. I have adjusted filters, followed topics saying the same, but Servers are almost never appearing. When the odd server does appear it does one of 3 things; Kick me screaming about PBO's (what is a PBO?), "wait for host" eternally, or permanent night with no people, which makes me a sad because even in local servers my game appears to be perma-night

Most of my medical supplies are being eaten, specifically morphine and splints. because of increased rubberbanding since the last patch which has caused me more than once to fly off a staircase and break legs because I am sprinting on a road then rubberband a 100 meters back to the house I was in a minute prior and continue sprinting thus flying off the staircase.

My game is also behaving uncontrollably on exit, doing the same thing every time; Spin eternally and not respond till I ctl alt Del and close the task manually.

In addition despite how I tweak my filters and however many video guides/topics I follow, not a single experimental server ever appears. Not even the German one that used to be the only option I had, so going to EXP is out of the option. I still have fun when the game decides to work, it's just that seems to be fleeting moments now.

I can understand bugs and errors (e.g. harder zombies), but what I cannot for the life of me understand is why the devs added "free-to-play" features like unnecessary timers!

Sorry I am really angry because I have already wasted 30 minutes of my time just trying to play this game.

Typically sequence of events:

Join a low ping server - realize it is hard core and quit.

Join a low ping non-hardcore server - realize it is night and quit (... because I cant seem to remember that the sun is set at 1700 - 5pm in Chenarus)

Join a low ping non-hardcore server during daylight hours - wait ten minutes - Get kick or a CTD because I ran out of memory by leaving Chrome open

Join a low ping non-hardcore server during daylight hours after closing Chrome - wait 10 minutes

Come on forms and rant.

I'm not sure there's much to agree with in your post, I'm afraid.

As I understand the development process - which I freely admit may not be correct! -  there is no such thing as a "fix" at this early stage. The objective is not to provide a well-balanced, properly working "game" until much further down the line. Everything is a work in progress, and much of the content is incomplete or functioning poorly. (And the timer for swapping servers is not pointless, by the way.)

The objective is just to develop the game - the order in which new features and technical adjustments are made does not necessarily make sense from the player's point of view, but I assume that it does make sense from a development point of view. The "game" as a playable experience has got worse with the latest patch - I agree - but the development process is still going on, and it will get better again.

When the game is released, nobody will care that version 0.44 was a horrible mess. It just doesn't matter, as long as we get the end product. Yes, we've paid money, but we've paid less than we would have if we waited for the final version. I still think it's a good deal.

I understand that due to it's Alpha stage that not all issues can be properly fixed, and that a bandage approach must be taken for some things until they can be fixed at a later stage. This does no mean we can't expect a quick at the very least bandage fix for issues which are game breaking for some if not all players. It would be terrible if you were a victim of a game breaking glitch that the devs could easily at least bandage fix because the game was in Alpha.

The timer is pointless at the moment (excuse the terrible flow but this is a debate not an essay). It was a quick fix for an issue that at the moment doesn't mean anything especially if you look at it from your point of view. With servers constantly restarting, game crashes, terrible admins and a while host of other issues, this does more harm than good. I have heard more stories of people having terrible times with the timer then it actually stopping server hoppers. This features should be implemented at a later date, when it will have more impact. When your character could die from a glitch at any moment, it does not really matter anyway.

Also at the moment, we have paid for a product which is essentially in limbo. We don't know if it will be finished, or the quality of that finished product. I am skeptical it will ever be completed, and the lack of communication from the devs as well as the infrequent patches from the devs, and the new similar games coming up make me even mores skeptical. Time will tell if I am wrong or not.