Sign in to follow this  
TranquilityEden

Why is everyone an A$$hole when playing dayz?

Hi mate i see that you came from eve? I would treat this place like nullsec and be suspicious of every person you come into contact with, but you will get in with a group and when you have backup you will see its not all bad lol

I just don't understand why the devs don't allow a few servers to be non PVP. All you homicidal nutters can play on the regular servers and leave us to learn the game on a non PVP server.

Because this is a simulation in a post apocalyptical environment. Simulations should be as real as possible. I also have real bullet proof bunnies at home.  :)

It just ruins the game for me. Yesterday after god knows how much running i made it to the big airfield on what was called a "friendly server". I make it half way across the runway, miles from anything or anyone and bang I am dead. grrrrr

Maybe you shouldn't be running across a runway like a complete noob. I would've shot you on principal for being so sloppy. Do you really want to play on some PvE server with the zombies being this bad? Seriously there are way better survival zombie games out there without PvP. People play this because of the adrenaline rush they get when they go to grab some loot. Every item you pick up might end with a BANG and black screen if you are not careful enough. The faster and sloppier you are looting, the more chance you have of getting smoked. If you are solo I suggest crawling and using cover. Assume every good loot spot is being camped and you are a burglar. Think splinter cell.

I have not killed anyone and i have 400+ hours to my name - died numerous times to KOS - I have never actually met anyone who is friendly so far. I never played the mod or arma and I knew from the start this was going to be PVP yet I didnt realise that the majority of people here are real nasty when it comes to helping others even on this forum you ask a simple question and you get KOS in the replies.

Honestly the humanity among the replies I see is horrible and at some point this game will fold and all the nasty comments will be lost in the archives.

As you can see from the replies in this thread no one wants to be friends.

For new players who are struggling this is a very unfair community and they wont help you even if you just want 1 can of beans. The only suggestion is to do the right thing and hope one day these people who are KOS and just here to make your lives miserable will suffer computer failures and wont come back until their mummies buy them new computers.

I came to the game because I saw the game as being a good place to meet people help each other and blah blah blah be nice but I have to agree with the OP that there are no nice geared people out there - killing fresh spawns is purely being a-holes and when admins get released from this current control situation we will be making servers for people to learn how to play so they can find enjoyment in the world the devs created but no one cares about.

When most people are running scared or looking through the LRS at a fresh spawn they miss out on all the devs gave us like sunsets - real world stars - textures that to the designers are a labour of love etc. All their hard work is meaningless if people dont get the chance to see it other than the black screen 90% of the time.

I am a  PVE player I avoid contact with people as best I can - I carry a crossbow and an fire axe to kill zombies efficiently - I collect food and medical supplies which I drop near spawn points or make up food caches along the coast - I dont kill others for fun so my life is nice but a lonely existence which suits me fine thank you !

Bullshit. I have played standalone only 130 hours (mod 2 years) and I encountered friendlies even being a complete douche bag. Yesterday I was robbing someone and told him to kick rocks because he had nothing I wanted. When I went to peak around a corner to find someone else this guy hit me in the head with a fire extinguisher. BOOM. He dropped. This guy came up and asked if I was OK, he said he heard the guy trying to rob me and came to save my life. Little did he know I was the one robbing. I ran around only five minutes with this hero helping him shoot bandits (Hey why not. I have no side really) and we found another armed player who surrendered at gunpoint and decided to also join us. 

I have tortured players and other players came and joined in. I shot players in a group and let the other one live and they joined me. If you can't find someone to tag along with it's on you. Even a complete bastard like me can make friends in this game.

I am new to the game, looks like i need to learn lots, which I am happy to do, just wish I was given a chance to do so without re spawning all the time :(

It's a pain in the ass, especially when some dick shoots you as a fresh spawn but you can learn to adapt. The only times I've been killed is when I went up to other players introducing myself as friendly or shot in the back when I've been looting. Depending on which character i'm playing on hardcore/regular and what gear I have will denote a lot of my play style i.e. whether I want to risk getting shot in the face by being friendly or being less careful in my looting methods.

DayZ is not a fast paced game and you need to take your time. I've found people more friendly on the hardcore servers. Scout any area out first, come up with a plan on how you're going to do things and how to minimise your risk and also maximising your advantages. Take the attitude of trying to survive as long as you can - that's really the point of the game so the longer you can do it the better you are at playing it.

Aim of the game is to survive - if you are coming across players and you think they will be hostile, run or stealth around them.

If this was the real world - I doubt there would be as much killing but there will still always be people willing to take your life for some reason even if that reason is "no reason" (these would be your psychopaths).

Just because a server says "Friendly / PvE Only / Noob Friendly / No Killing" does not mean you aren't going to get a round between the eyes the first chance somebody gets.

The more you play the game the more you'll be able to tell if someone is friendly but also take into the account of the situation (e.g. if you pop out of a bush and shout "howdy neighbour", you can give someone a fright and be put down immediately). I've nearly 500 hours logged and still misjudge situations as you can't account for someone being kill hungry.

Do not trust anyone.

Do not assume you are safe.

Other players will always value their life over yours.

Cities/Military areas is walking into a slaughter.

Stay safe and be smart.

You my friend are not me.

Why is the first word out of your mouth derogatory and assume I am lying - 466hrs now (Standalone) and I have never killed another player.  Not everyone is a liar but you assume I am so please reconsider that there are people out here that tell the truth.

Bullshit. I have played standalone only 130 hours (mod 2 years) and I encountered friendlies even being a complete douche bag. Yesterday I was robbing someone and told him to kick rocks because he had nothing I wanted. When I went to peak around a corner to find someone else this guy hit me in the head with a fire extinguisher. BOOM. He dropped. This guy came up and asked if I was OK, he said he heard the guy trying to rob me and came to save my life. Little did he know I was the one robbing. I ran around only five minutes with this hero helping him shoot bandits (Hey why not. I have no side really) and we found another armed player who surrendered at gunpoint and decided to also join us. 

I have tortured players and other players came and joined in. I shot players in a group and let the other one live and they joined me. If you can't find someone to tag along with it's on you. Even a complete bastard like me can make friends in this game.

You my friend are not me.

Why is the first word out of your mouth derogatory and assume I am lying - 466hrs now (Standalone) and I have never killed another player.  Not everyone is a liar but you assume I am so please reconsider that there are people out here that tell the truth.

No I believe you on that one. That is nothing to boast about though. 400 hours without a kill is not skill it's cowardice.

I said bullshit that it's difficult to find friendlies. I died one time and spawned in front of a player. He immediately gave me a rifle, food, and water. This is after I died from shooting at a group for no reason other than to get in a big firefight. Even people I rob tell me where to rob other players they passed by. I'm not saying it's fucking canada in chenarus, but you really have to be introverted not to run into friendlies in 400+ hours if I can run into them in 100 being a complete fuckwad. Maybe you should jump on hardcore. Maybe normal mode has a lot of grass snipers, but where I'm playing there's plenty of non-KoS encounters. 

I get your points guys,

I just don't understand why the devs don't allow a few servers to be non PVP. All you homicidal nutters can play on the regular servers and leave us to learn the game on a non PVP server.

Because the core gameplay of DayZ is PVP not PVE it never was and never will be a PVE game.

you need to convince them through voice chat that they shouldnt kill you before they convince themselves that they should. if you don't talk in game they assume that you are talking to your friends in teamspeak or skype preparing to kill them.

Edited by ravinus

you're just obviously clueless to the fact that it takes about 1 -2 hours to become fully geared. Its not hard. Go play Zombie Simulator 3000 if all you want to do is survive and hide.

People like you are the reason this community have become worse over the years.

To be on topic: it's simply because some people think it is too few things to do. So they think that the only thing to do is to murder people then.

But there are good guys out there, I'm one of them. And haven't died since the first week. And I've helped a few hundred people by now. And done trades with probably around 50ish people so far.

Just try and not be seen, and sneak around people.

Because the core gameplay of DayZ is PVP not PVE it never was and never will be a PVE game.

Actually, you couldn't be more wrong. There's nothing to say that DayZ is ONLY a PVP game. The core elements would suggest it is the other way around.
But yes, PVP is a huge aspect of the game, that shouldn't be removed. But there should be more benefits for being a good guy. Since at the moment, the only benefits are for the murderers and badits.
Edited by DaveAzoicer

before you go in game, Do some reading about KoS and the approaches to that. Many of the players are just afraid to lose what they have. If you read into an actual helping group you will see that some players are not just bandits, but they have their rules of engagement. Other players just don't and they are looking for someone to kill. Try to be susupicious aswell, 

It's already been stated that non-PvP servers will NEVER exist, people who label the servers they RENT as Friendly-only/no-KoS only attract more people who aren't friendly and who in fact KoS all the time. I understand your frustration about being killed, but maybe try not joining highly populated servers or try not to run around where your visible from every angle, and as others have said, attempt to find a positive squad or clan that can offer you assistance, the one I am in is great and always helps out newspawns that don't try to mike tyson them, lol...

I have no issue with folk shooting me for now reason its the folk who shout and call me all sorts of things through the in game mic that really annoys me now there is no need for that !

I have no issue with folk shooting me for now reason its the folk who shout and call me all sorts of things through the in game mic that really annoys me now there is no need for that !

So how does RL go for you? Just run away from them till you cant hear it anymore or put a bullet in them.

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel

I wanna know where the wanker is that is spreading all this candy floss BS about DayZ being...

I saw the game as being a good place to meet people help each other

Lol, The game became popular because there were no other games like, SO brutal, MUCH unforgiving. It doesn't hold your hand, it isn't a warm fluffy place to meet friends and sing songs round the camp fire. Fire brings death, trust brings death, stupid mentalities like running across air fields BRING DEATH! In fact just about everything can and most probably will bring death.

That is why it is grown so quickly and then the first things new players want to do, is turn everything into what most of us despise, candy floss, soft core, hold your hand all the way, generic crap that is seen 99% of the games on the market. 

There are so many games out there that can cater to your needs and if this is not suiting your tastes, the core fundamentals, then go try one of them.

Sorry to sound harsh but that is the reality. 

It just ruins the game for me. Yesterday after god knows how much running i made it to the big airfield on what was called a "friendly server". I make it half way across the runway, miles from anything or anyone and bang I am dead. grrrrr

It is a bit frustrating but going to an airfield on any server is asking for trouble. Do not assume that people are friendly in such areas, even if you are unarmed approach with extreme caution.

I get your points guys,

The thing you describe - the danger - is exactly what makes this game so good. If any game deserves the description of merciless then it's this one.

Edited by Aseliot

I think it'd be interesting for someone to do a study on the disassociating affects that a game can have on psychology in a situation where no real consequence is employed.

PvP is a part of DayZ. I don't want it to go away, nor do I want it to be marginalized ever by the endorsement of PvE servers.

However, there are mechanics which can be implemented which provide alternative activities. Because right now, PvP is the only real activity besides looting. Similarly, there are mechanics which can be employed that add consequence to PvP.

- More numerous and threatening zombies

- Stealth in avoiding zombie aggro

- Persistent storage

- Increased rarity of loot

- Increased significance of survival mechanics (i.e. eating/drinking, etc.)

- Encumbrance

All things which weigh on PvP, which should always be a factor. However, adding nuance to that PvP makes all the sense in the world to me. 

Edited by Katana67

So how does RL go for you? Just run away from them till you cant hear it anymore or put a bullet in them.

Well most people are not so quick to be total cunts in real life as they are on the end of a keyboard !

Player interaction or even watching things unfold from a distance gets my heart pumping,  its the anything can happen aspect of this game that makes it great.   If you wanna call it being an asshole this isn't the game for you.  I mean they do exist, the tools who have to abuse the mic, but for the most part my deaths are I get owned, never saw it, and thats that, move on.   Adrenaline or whatever is real for me when I am deep into this game, and it affects decision making.