JimmyGate

Alright, I am finally concerned about the standalone

I sincerely wish you were the CEO of BI too.

I don't think concerned is the word. Maybe impatient? Yep that's it.

• Like 1

I don't think concerned is the word. Maybe impatient? Yep that's it.

Yes!, as were most people who brought the SA in alpha stage,

I thought alpha meant, you were still working on the foundation.

The Real Virtuality 3 engine is the foundation. Same as Arma2 and the mod. There's nothing the can do to fix that except starting over on an another engine, which will never happen.

I personally blame BI for the games progress. If I was a BI exec I would have taken one look at the arma 2 sales that dayz generated and said right. Here's the team that was making arma 3 , (a game that 20 people might be playing in a years time) GO MAKE DAYZ STANDALONE. I cant work out BI at all its like they cater for a hardcore fanbase of about 300 people. Who's bankrolling their shit. A chimp with a top hat on could see dayz's potential its a complete game changer , fantastic immersion filled creation. just hope dean and crew can reverse 2 years of BI not giving Dayz the respect it commands.

aha,

with such words , i believe you would already have the game finished at this point!

go, send your CV to them and show them how good you are...

I am concerned about DayZ SA because so far it has failed to fix what was fundamentally wrong about the mod IMHO. All those things that were supposed to be fixed in the stand alone game are still broken, if not worst. Zombies are the best example of this. I honestly like the ones from the mod better at this point. I suspect that ultimately, the problem is the Arma2 engine and there is no way around it. The fact that it's an alpha has nothing to do with it. If the foundations are flawed....

I think it is a bit disingenous to use zombies as an example of "fundamentally wrong things", since we know that they have invested a lot in future development of these, but have not yet released anything major regarding them for us to judge how "fundamentally wrong" they are going to be.

• Like 1

The Real Virtuality 3 engine is the foundation. Same as Arma2 and the mod. There's nothing the can do to fix that except starting over on an another engine, which will never happen.

Then why are you even here?

If you hated the engine for the mod and you knew the standalone was going to use the same engine, why?

I should start archiving all of the 'I know its alpha but..." posts. That way when the game is finished i can either have an extraordinary laugh at all the guys crying about how the sky is falling (most likely) or at least give them the marginal chance at their 'I told you this game would never be good'.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet Im getting my laugh.

I should start archiving all of the 'I know its alpha but..." posts. That way when the game is finished i can either have an extraordinary laugh at all the guys crying about how the sky is falling (most likely) or at least give them the marginal chance at their 'I told you this game would never be good'.

I can see why you obviously aint a betting man! :-P

or it will be all the way around?

5 months and counting, how many months will take to you start changing your mind?

• Like 1

or it will be all the way around?

5 months and counting, how many months will take to you start changing your mind?

Bout 16 by my estimate. Go look up the time between 'Early Alpha' and 'Release', for most games. Usually over a year.

First playable[edit]

The first playable is the game version containing representative gameplay and assets,[148] this is the first version with functional major gameplay elements.[149] It is often based on the prototype created in pre-production.[150] Alpha and first playable are sometimes used to refer to a single milestone, however large projects require first playable before feature complete alpha.[149] First playable occurs 12 to 18 months before code release. It is sometimes referred to as the "Pre-Alpha" stage.[152]Alpha[edit]

See also: Alpha release

Alpha is the stage when key gameplay functionality is implemented, and assets are partially finished.[152] A game in alpha is feature complete, that is, game is playable and contains all the major features.[153]These features may be further revised based on testing and feedback.[152] Additional small, new features may be added, similarly planned, but unimplemented features may be dropped.[153] Programmers focus mainly on finishing the codebase, rather than implementing additions.[151] Alpha occurs eight to ten months before code release.[152]

Seeing as how we are in "early Alpha" and most of the major components of the game are still being written, as they bring on new staff i think my estimate is going to be about right.

I like how people who respond to criticism of the game with "IT IS ALPHA!."  Just an FYI, stating that is in ALPHA provides no constructive feedback what so ever.  While there is a lot of negative criticism occurring at the moment, there is a lot more CONSTRUCTIVE negative criticism than positive feedback.  You can only use the fact it is alpha for so long.  It is a bad engine with bad net code.  Most of the patches consist of trying to optimize the game so they can implement major components.  Shouldn't the alpha phase be implementing major components then optimizing them in beta? 

Whoever mentioned it in previous posts hit it on the head with Bohemia screwed up.  Bohemia was ahead of all the companies with DayZ but they put very little into it until AFTER it sold 1.7 million copies.  However, now that other companies have seen the interest in these kind of games, you are going to see a lot of competition.  DayZ Standalone could easily fail if one of these companies create a survival game that is complete and polished. 

Edited by JimmyGate
  • Like 6

Hello there

A2 is a phenomenal game. With out it and the RV engine and BiS' openness to modding DAYZ would never have existed.

The difference is DAYZ went viral.

Rgds

LoK

A2 was a broken game that got lucky it had someone creative enough to mod it into something better than a coffee coaster. That's the truth. You guys were still patching that game into functional long after it came out. One of your guys said they supported it long after release. I think what would be more accurate is that you were still fixing it long after release. I only worry that DayZ will end up being the same.

No way....No way

I'm not anymore a fan of BF3 or BF4....i've played only BF3 and i have a mine friend that have been a close betatester for the 3rd and i guarrantee that the Frostbite engine is quite nice!

Bad company 2 had too way much blur effect and didn't like it

BF3 Became a great game

BF4, that i didn't tryed, by what i heard had several bugs on the beginning....maibe comparing to BF3 was released too fast but soon they fixed most of the things over the time, also because DICE and EA games have differents founds comparing to Bohemia...

Then Frostbite 2 is certainly better, and sure not have lagg problems, hitbox problems, physics problems, animation problem of Arma engine....it is like comparing the shit with the chocolate by stating both are brown.

I was just responding to the comment that Dayz uses an old crappy engine, when Arma2 was released after the frostbite engine. I'm just trying to get people to understand. Dayz isn't a game yet, its still an alpha. While bf4 has been released already and when it came out it was barely playable (but it has gotten better). If we were to compare Dayz Alpha vs. Battlefield 4 Alpha, which do you think would have been better? That right there, is the most fair comparison we could have.

I like how people who respond to criticism of the game with "IT IS ALPHA!."  Just an FYI, stating that is in ALPHA provides no constructive feedback what so ever.  While there is a lot of negative criticism occurring at the moment, there is a lot more CONSTRUCTIVE negative criticism than positive feedback.  You can only use the fact it is alpha for so long.  It is a bad engine with bad net code.  Most of the patches consist of trying to optimize the game so they can implement major components.  Shouldn't the alpha phase be implementing major components then optimizing them in beta? 

Whoever mentioned it in previous posts hit it on the head with Bohemia screwed up.  Bohemia was ahead of all the companies with DayZ but they put very little into it until AFTER it sold 1.7 million copies.  However, now that other companies have seen the interest in these kind of games, you are going to see a lot of competition.  DayZ Standalone could easily fail if one of these companies create a survival game that is complete and polished. 

Agreed. However, the fact that these companies are just now jumping on the bandwagon means Dayz has a decent headstart. The other companies will try to rush their product to beat Dayz's release (much like Warz) and make a shoddy product.

Decent head start for bohemia?   Will zeds in the new games walk through walls?  Will their controls not respond?  Will the rendering of bullet impacts be broken?  No, so Bohemia is behind the new zed game.

Decent head start for bohemia?   Will zeds in the new games walk through walls?  Will their controls not respond?  Will the rendering of bullet impacts be broken?  No, so Bohemia is behind the new zed game.

Will those new games come out fully released?  If the answer is yes your post is moot.  Learn to alpha and stop complaining about an alpha.