JimmyGate

Alright, I am finally concerned about the standalone

Let's look at the laundry list of issues to compare why this is a new game, not a polished mod.

Why are the controls over sensitive? - redone, need optimization from further testing

Why is there massive desynce/rubber banding - brand new client server relationship from the architecture, needs optimization and further testing

Why is zombie behavior not at 100% - they are redone and need further testing. They are also waiting for other optimization to increase the population

Why does collision have issues(zombie wall walk, ladders, etc.) - brand new physics is in the works and will need testing/optimization

Why does loot and spawning not suit everyone's need? - redone, not all content has been added, tested or optimized. Respawn and persistence still being worked on.

Why is hunting and animals not in game? - being redone

Why do vehicles not exist? - being redone

Why do we have no base building abilities? - being redone

And that's just what I have pulled from the top of my head, I'm sure I'm missing some

Edited by akafugitive
  • Like 2

To be honest I don't blame the development team for not addressing every complaint on this forum because regurgitating that information over and over again to people who refuse to get it is very time consuming, taking away from actual development, and can be extremely overbearing. I have had a lot of time to help pass this message since I don't mind doing so in my down time, and am interested in seeing this game developed in a positive way.

I have had positive interactions with the development team, such as Accolyte, because I brought my objective debate with him respectfully.

In all honesty if you want to see something change come up with a solution, they may consider it. Here are some of mine:

Easting/Drinking/Bandaging, and how to create cancel action.

Wind direction/speed feedback to the player

Zombies: they only come out at night

Gameplay Mechanics Pt1 - The Player

Gameplay Mechanics Pt1 - The Player(skills)
Gameplay Mechanics Pt2 - The Infected
Gameplay Mechanics Pt3 - Environment
Gameplay Mechanics Pt4 - The Weapons
Gameplay Mechanics Pt5 - The Interface

I dont claim to know better then anyone else or the dev team on what can be done in the limitations of the game, just maybe some of the ideas I have might not have been thought about yet, or the topic allows everyone to get input to grow an idea into something great. I have contributed to others ideas aswell, and been inspired by other peoples ideas to create my own.

Edited by akafugitive

If you're not patient enough waiting, or just tired of the game, just take a break. No need to go on here and cry about it.

• Like 1

Let's look at the laundry list of issues to compare why this is a new game, not a polished mod.

Why are the controls over sensitive? - redone, need optimization from further testing

Why is there massive desynce/rubber banding - brand new client server relationship from the architecture, needs optimization and further testing

Why is zombie behavior not at 100% - they are redone and need further testing. They are also waiting for other optimization to increase the population

Why does collision have issues(zombie wall walk, ladders, etc.) - brand new physics is in the works and will need testing/optimization

Why does loot and spawning not suit everyone's need? - redone, not all content has been added, tested or optimized. Respawn and persistence still being worked on.

Why is hunting and animals not in game? - being redone

Why do vehicles not exist? - being redone

Why do we have no base building abilities? - being redone

And that's just what I have pulled from the top of my head, I'm sure I'm missing some

every item you mentioned doesnt work as intended and probably will take a LOT of time to get to a decent level, while most of them should be in a decent level already after 2 years of development.

Saying that people are "crying" while all you do is copy what developers say and paste on the topic, or regurgitate the same pre-made message on every topic must be really time consuming, man.  :rolleyes:

I dont need to have a PhD on software development to know that there's something really wrong with the way the development's going. They're running in circles, most of the updates they release is for fixing the bugs that appeared on the last one and that not exist in game before it.

Instead of focusing on modeling the buildings interior, to stop this zombies wall-walking bullcrap, they go and make zombies ruin your inventory with 1 hit spawn 10 meters from your face or above you and take 8 hatchet hits to kill.

Instead of figuring a way to reduce the rubberbanding to a decent level, they raise the population to 100 players and add more resource-consuming features like respawning loot, while the game clearly doesnt have the structure to support said feature and it will more than likely bring a ton of exploits that will make the game nearly unplayable.

And the fact that everyone that's "on your side" on this topic's discussion upvoted your post just proves my earlier assumption: You all take this shit personal and refuse to see that this game has flaws that need to be put into discussion.

There's things that are on the bugtracker from right after the launch and didnt ger fixed yet, just telling everybody "go to bugtracker and stfu about the bugs on the forum, let's only say good things about it here" wont solve anything, The forums need to be used to see the magnitude of the bugs, how much and how bad they're screwing people's gameplay.

Edited by lipemr
  • Like 1

Yeah, you are right, yourself are saying "adds". Adding to something existing, like adding new buttons to an existing Jacket. It's not exactly the same Jacket than before, it changed a bit, has been "modified", it's not entirely new. The stand alone however intents to develop most, if not all, important core elements new.

Actually I'm glad that they decided to do so. The point is, I gladly wait for new developed stuff. Do you want them to just throw Dayz-Mod assets and Arma2 assets together? I don't want that.

Dayz uses a tweaked arma 2 engine, you are right I would rather they have started from scratch. 

Yes but the Day standalone has problems from ripping out old legacy mechanics and rebuilding them. Not much is left from the old legacy build anymore. Once all the old is removed/ replaced we will probably start seeing more interesting updates/stability coming, background mechanics are essential but don't always change the perceived player experience.

So yes, when you have cut off the hood from one jacket and the sleaves off another, then rebuilt the body it is essentially a new jacket.

Well said, this is what i was getting at.

every item you mentioned doesnt work as intended and probably will take a LOT of time to get to a decent level, while most of them should be in a decent level already after 2 years of development.

Saying that people are "crying" while all you do is copy what developers say and paste on the topic, or regurgitate the same pre-made message on every topic must be really time consuming, man. :rolleyes:

I dont need to have a PhD on software development to know that there's something really wrong with the way the development's going. They're running in circles, most of the updates they release is for fixing the bugs that appeared on the last one and that not exist in game before it.

Instead of focusing on modeling the buildings interior, to stop this zombies wall-walking bullcrap, they go and make zombies ruin your inventory with 1 hit spawn 10 meters from your face or above you and take 8 hatchet hits to kill.

Instead of figuring a way to reduce the rubberbanding to a decent level, they raise the population to 100 players and add more resource-consuming features like respawning loot, while the game clearly doesnt have the structure to support said feature and it will more than likely bring a ton of exploits that will make the game nearly unplayable.

And the fact that everyone that's "on your side" on this topic's discussion upvoted your post just proves my earlier assumption: You all take this shit personal and refuse to see that this game has flaws that need to be put into discussion.

There's things that are on the bugtracker from right after the launch and didnt ger fixed yet, just telling everybody "go to bugtracker and stfu about the bugs on the forum, let's only say good things about it here" wont solve anything, The forums need to be used to see the magnitude of the bugs, how much and how bad they're screwing people's gameplay.

You come from an informed position, you know the issues that I know exist and don't enjoy also. My objection is that they haven't been in development for as long as you think they are, the original plan when they started the standalone project is out the window and has only recently been replaced with the rebuild the game plan. On top of that they are still receiving feedback from the community/internally and changing the design plan(the reason you go open with an alpha)

When I say go to the bug tracker or suggestion thread I mean report the issues and make suggestions, this does not mean they will be addressed when you want them to, things take time and need to fall in the schedule when its right or will just break again.

Why they can add more content over solving larger issues is easy, introduction into the builds we are playing is easier without massive complications. They most likely have a ton on sounds, animations, and mechanics that are mostly finished waiting to be glued in when they can.

Again why they havn't figured out how to solve rubber banding is because they did, by designing the net messages(a foundation item), introducing new features broke it. They wont stop introducing new features at the risk of breaking the game because they can't fix it till they have introduced the features causing the problem to begin with.

Testing the servers load for 100 players is what you call a "stress test", this lets you see where you're at and how much farther you can go without pushing it too hard and causing it to fizzle and die.

My words are my own, not copy/paste. I gather information through research, use my knowledge from previous experience and make my posts without resorting to slandering and disrespecting others opinions. I can say "you're wrong" without following up with "you're an idiot", and for the record, I never said you were crying/whining, i stated why it comes off like that to others.

I've expressed to you before my experience, and why I hold the position I do on these topics. If you choose to disregard that, so be it, that is your choice. Fact is others read these posts including the devs, and a project lead position in consulting and running investigations has a similar approach to any other design method, including games, so I do understand the method of deliverance, though I would not assume I can make a game without game design experience(to which I have a slight bit of knowledge in by aiding in some mods).

Edited by akafugitive
  • Like 1

er.. someone who has fulfilled their contract and are no longer obligated to live in an eastern European city where their work visa is no longer valid and who wishes to return home to his own country and start their own studio rather than work for someone else maybe? Dayz is going to be huge when it releases, BI are not some fly by night operation..

Yeah I remember how Will Wright and Markus Persson abandoned The Sims and Minecraft halfway through to go start something completely new.

I hate to break it to you, but DayZ has already been released.  And it sold almost 2 million copies.  That's a lot of sales.  5 million copies starts putting it in with some of the top selling games of all time.  They can call it an "alpha" all they want, but as soon as you release a game to the general public, that's when they start forming an opinion on it.  I'm willing to bet most of the people who were interested in this game have already purchased it.  There may be some residual sales over time, but I would be surprised if there are millions of people waiting for the final "gold" or even the "beta" update before purchasing.

I was going to make a post.

Then Waterfox crashed and I am not going to retype 12 paragraphs. It was pretty much:

"H1Z1? Is the lore going to be about mutated H1N1? *Vomits* I swear to god 3AP2W needs to die."

"No need to worry about DayZ, DayZ can take care of itself, because DayZ is DayZ, and DayZ takes your beans."

Continue to whine at eachother's whining. :D

Your browser actually crashes? Google Chrome+AddBlockPro > Alll Browsers combined

h1z1 Will fail because its being made by Sony (Inb4 planetside fanboys, That game may have fans but was still a failure. Sony destroyed everyquest, Star wars online was fucking terrible and will continue to release shit titles due to only caring about money)

No one understands what Alpha means... its because dayz attracts to many pre teens and they don't understand gaming development.

Your browser actually crashes? Google Chrome+AddBlockPro > Alll Browsers combined

h1z1 Will fail because its being made by Sony (Inb4 planetside fanboys, That game may have fans but was still a failure. Sony destroyed everyquest, Star wars online was fucking terrible and will continue to release shit titles due to only caring about money)

No one understands what Alpha means... its because dayz attracts to many pre teens and they don't understand gaming development.

Planet side 2 is making buku money man. Their f2p model is quite profitable. It is anything but a failure.

• Like 1

Planet side 2 is making buku money man. Their f2p model is quite profitable. It is anything but a failure.

Hossin?  Where art thou?  Yes, it is a failure.

Dayz uses a tweaked arma 2 engine, you are right I would rather they have started from scratch.

Yeah, many games use an already existing game engine as foundation. Even big companies (EA, Activision, Ubisoft etc) that frequently develop tripple A titles are not always developing an entirely new engine for every single new title. For example EA uses the Frostbite 3 engine not only for BF4, also for NFS etc.

In one thing I have to agree: Yep, would have been cool if they would have taken the Arma 3 engine as foundation. But, that's being said, we would have almost the same situation by now. They would have needed to develop loads of stuff new to fit DayZ's needs, which are just different from Arma, because it's another game. The inventory and items system is good example for that.

Don't exactly know why this decission has been made and I also don't have the insight. As long as they push the engine far enough to be state of the art, I'm good with that.

Edited by Ken Bean

I think this engine is completely wrong for a zombie game.

Without this engine you wouldn't get 3000m view distances you would not get players rendering at 1400m.

You would not get a huge map space.

The engine was absolutely critical for a milsim / survival zombie game.

The engine is completely wrong for a simple crappy arcade zombie game though.

• Like 4

Without this engine you wouldn't get 3000m view distances you would not get players rendering at 1400m.

You would not get a huge map space.

The engine was absolutely critical for a milsim / survival zombie game.

The engine is completely wrong for a simple crappy arcade zombie game though.

I disagree. Many other game engines support long view distances (with magnification). After a distance of 1 kilometers players don't render in the DayZ SA RV "2.5" engine anyway. They like disappear into the ground. Foliage disappears at an extremely short range. Hell, the "network bubble" only extends to 1.5km maximum...

Huge maps are possible in any game engine. Rust was created in Unity and it has extremely large map sizes. I've seen something like an "unlimited" map generator/renderer that could, theoretically, create a map the size of the planet Earth. Nether (built on the Unreal Engine) will eventually have a map approaching the size of Chernarus.

I wouldn't say this engine is critical for a milsim/survival/zombie game but it is somewhat suited to it. That being said, any mature game engine could be modified to perform similarly to RV.

I do agree that this engine is completely ill-suited for a arcade zombie shooter.

I disagree. Many other game engines support long view distances (with magnification). After a distance of 1 kilometers players don't render in the DayZ SA RV "2.5" engine anyway. They like disappear into the ground. Foliage disappears at an extremely short range. Hell, the "network bubble" only extends to 1.5km maximum...

Huge maps are possible in any game engine. Rust was created in Unity and it has extremely large map sizes. I've seen something like an "unlimited" map generator/renderer that could, theoretically, create a map the size of the planet Earth. Nether (built on the Unreal Engine) will eventually have a map approaching the size of Chernarus.

I wouldn't say this engine is critical for a milsim/survival/zombie game but it is somewhat suited to it. That being said, any mature game engine could be modified to perform similarly to RV.

I do agree that this engine is completely ill-suited for a arcade zombie shooter.

In ACE mod for arma 2 I can get players to fully render and in high quality at 5km +

While the unity engine is amazing and rust is also great it does not have good view distances . People stop rendering past 200 or 300m.

The single biggest reason why the engine is perfect for dayz is because of the amazing modding community .

No.

Netcode.

Are you talking about the very occasional hit box registration issues? BF4 runs like greased silk otherwise.

I haven't had BF4 crash on me since it was in Beta. I've also never had the SA lockup or CTD.

Here is proof that the engine is plenty capable to handle rendering players clearly at distances much further away that is in dayz.

My position

wFRJ2W8.jpg?1

What I could see

b1BU0SG.jpg?1

What it looked like from fpv zoomed in, notice how it renders the players right in the middle of the screen even though they are so far.

gWsfn6u.jpg?1

Here is the same group of soldiers when viewed through a laser range finder.

btdc34Z.jpg?1

Here are various soldiers at different distances.

d3SHBrc.jpg?1

Hezepas.jpg?1

So as you can see players were rendering at distances of almost 4km in chenarus.

If I had changed it to a map such as takistan I could have seen players out to much further distances.

The engine is perfectly capable of rendering players at long distance.

I hope dayz eventually allows the players to be able to choose what distance players and objects render at super long view distances and player render distances offer amazing gameplay opportunities not to mention are cool as heck.

• Like 5

Are you talking about the very occasional hit box registration issues? BF4 runs like greased silk otherwise.

I haven't had BF4 crash on me since it was in Beta. I've also never had the SA lockup or CTD.

lucky you! I haven't been able to play bf4 in over 4 months as it keeps crashing since the patch just before Christmass (there is also a thread well over 900 pages long in the pc section of people experiencing the same in their forums)

ps.. not interested in a pissing contest between the two & for the record I love BF4 & i'm confident  they will fix it eventually..

• Like 1

I still haven't felt the core mechanics of the game have been improved, to all the people defending the time it's taking, do you even feel the core mechanics need fixing? 

This is just a classic DayZ apologist chiche. 

You say X will fail but not my game Z, you make claims that NO ONE understands what alpha means. I'd question whether you do?

Do you even know that at alpha stage the game is meant to be feature complete? I'm guessing not, because you like to make sweeping judgements to defend the game.

Edited by tenshu

Take a break before writing...because he gave me ignorant twice so i'm not the one to step back first. Understood? understood!

I understand that you could have been the bigger person and just not used threatening remarks and kept that sort of violence in game.

I could care less how many times someone calls you a name or acts thick and arrogant to you. I will never agree that the threat of violence verbally or in text is right.

I understand that there was no need no matter how ridiculous he acted because in the end you just stooped.

Eh Mister? Calm down and sit down over a sharp rock.

i don't write 8 lines as you did, I just resume on 3 lines the life of dayzstandalone, based on a  math formula

"Dayz standalone got founds from dayz mod that earned more than Arma2. After 2 years game is still pre alpha and is selling millions of pre-order copyes, till now 1,7 millions. Nowadays game is still pre-alpha and need for sure 2 more years of development, and the new hired staff bring the same patch from test servers on regulars, with noticeable visual glitches like invisible canned tuna. Without mention ghosts zombies cross the walls."

I based the things on facts and math not on bla bla bla . Facts and math! And thx you to remind the that Dayzmod sold more than Arma2, i was to forget it.

So now, here in my country we do say:

"Mister? you can't climb over the mirrors"

If you understand you do understand, if you don't understand you do understand anyway.

zero sense made.

like the man said, New textures etc , does not mean new game.

As someone who bought that game so I could play with a friend, I have always be sceptical of the Alpha. I have always believed it will not be completed or released in an unfinished state like battlefield was recently.

With the lack of updates, Rocket leaving and my usually paranoia what it comes to games, I believe it will never be finished. I would love to be proved wrong, but at the moment it seems I am being proved right, at least in my view anyway.

Time will tell how the Alpha will progress and where it will end up but I for one am not optimistic.

The only thing that concerns me about the standalone is the negativity that gets spewed across this forum about a game that clearly stated that it is incomplete.  Yet the majority of you seem to think that you have every right to bitch and moan about an incomplete game that told you not to buy it if you are not going to actively participate in the Alpha stage of it.  And by no means is throwing tantrums on the forum actively participating.  It's absolutely disgusting the way some of you treat Dean, the developers and the moderators of this forum.  BiS doesn't owe you a goddamn thing.

• Like 4

This is why they SHOULDNT have released the game in alpha. i am glad they did, but im also sad they did. so many people hate the game now, but i still love the game.