Jumbaliah

Do you want pooping in this game?

To poop or not to poop  

616 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want pooping?

Again, even if it was stored, why would you just drink the water straight? I just don't understand that. I treat all the water I drink in the wild twice, because I don't want to die with my pants about my ankles, covered in liquid death from the waist down. 

Take the 10 minutes and boil all drinking water. If you don't have 10 minutes, you don't need to drink that badly. Simple.

Maybe you don't have a choice? You need to drink to survive in DayZ, said need to drink doesn't/won't always come at a time where one has purifying tablets.

I don't know i just expect EVER water source will be "contaminated" by some guy as an alternate means for mass murder. But ive got a point with the Chat.

Then that'll place an emphasis on finding purifying tablets, which could be made suitably rare. Likewise, players who contaminate water supplies are contaminating that water supply for THEMSELVES as well.

Obviously, the only way defecation could work with a minimal amount of abuse is to jack up the significance of survival through an increased reliance on water. Which can be done a number of ways (most of which center around making X rare/difficult).

Edited by Katana67

I know, which is why I don't want there to be actual shit in-game. Maybe the diseases you get from drinking untreated water could be from fecal e.coli bacteria, but don't actually have shit present. 

there is simply too much potential for abuse.

How is the potential for abuse any different from force feeding people rotten fruit or disinfectant? There isn't any difference. Same shit, different pile, as they say...

• Like 1

Maybe you don't have a choice? You need to drink to survive in DayZ, said need to drink doesn't/won't always come at a time where one has purifying tablets.

In what situation would drinking take precedence? If you don't have the 15 minutes it takes to build a fire and boil water at sea level, then don't drink. If you are being chased by a zombie, you obviously don't have time to drink, and stopping to sip from a pond or fountain is foolish at best and stupid at worst.

And, I am referring to other means of water treatment as well, some of which take far longer than boiling to be effective. For example, take purification tablets. They aren't instantaneous; they take at least 30 minutes to start being effective, and in cold temps/higher altitudes, take upwards to 2 hours. Which is why purification tabs are my backup to my backup, because they take so long. I can treat enough water for a day of activity in about 20 minutes, most times less, by boiling then filtering.

I'm just saying, if there is something, anything else more pressing than drinking at that moment, you don't need it enough. Any shmuck can build a fire, even by rubbing 2 sticks together.

DayZ Standalone

"Home for all of you fetichists rejected by society.

Make your deepest dreams come true."

------

Really, there is no mature use for shitting in a videogame, no matter how realistic it is.

There will always be someone who shits on your corpse or make a "funny" video rolling in his own shit.

Very little people play this game seriously and most of the time does inhuman stuff to other people just for the "lolz".

If it's for laughs and perversion sure, but no one is going to take it seriously, and who does, will eventually stop because of the lack of support by the players he encounters.

• Like 1

How is the potential for abuse any different from force feeding people rotten fruit or disinfectant? There isn't any difference. Same shit, different pile, as they say...

Notably, I don't agree with that either. Griefing is anathema to me. I just don't get any pleasure out of someone else'es suffering.

• Like 1

I voted yes, the more realism the better. They should also include pissing and maybe getting dizzy with headaches when you don't look after yourself because of dehydration or infections. Getting wounded but surviving should have consequences for a longer period of time (several hours or so), not that you can't play the game but it should give you a disadvantage so you feel you need to lay low for a while and avoid skirmishes (or have to rely on friends to take care of you!).

• Like 2

In what situation would drinking take precedence? If you don't have the 15 minutes it takes to build a fire and boil water at sea level, then don't drink. If you are being chased by a zombie, you obviously don't have time to drink, and stopping to sip from a pond or fountain is foolish at best and stupid at worst.

And, I am referring to other means of water treatment as well, some of which take far longer than boiling to be effective. For example, take purification tablets. They aren't instantaneous; they take at least 30 minutes to start being effective, and in cold temps/higher altitudes, take upwards to 2 hours. Which is why purification tabs are my backup to my backup, because they take so long. I can treat enough water for a day of activity in about 20 minutes, most times less, by boiling then filtering.

I'm just saying, if there is something, anything else more pressing than drinking at that moment, you don't need it enough. Any shmuck can build a fire, even by rubbing 2 sticks together.

What if, within that 15/20/30 minutes that a player is waiting for the water to boil, your character dies or faints from dehydration? What if "rubbing two sticks together" isn't made an option and fire-starting requires specific items, items which a player may not have?

Again, if a player doesn't have purifying tablets or the means to boil water, yet needs to drink it, he/she may be susceptible to disease when the water is drunk out of necessity. It's about managing risk.

I don't really care, there's other games in the market,

but if DayZ implements the need for us to shit in-game, each time I shoot someone and break a bone, I want them to be unable to use that part of their body for months or have to use a wheelchair if I hit the spine.

You heard me.

This.

If you want realism, then splints aren't going to heal a broken limb. Morphine won't heal a broken limb. You won't regenerate half your body's blood in ten minutes. You won't be able to run for hours without rest. You won't be able to get shot, heal up in five minutes, get shot again, heal up in five minutes, get shot again, etc.

The realism card is getting really weak. It's a video game, for Christ's sake. I want realism/authenticity scattered here and there, but I don't want a repeat of my life with zombies.

• Like 5

What if, within that 15/20/30 minutes that a player is waiting for the water to boil, your character dies or faints from dehydration? What if "rubbing two sticks together" isn't made an option and fire-starting requires specific items, items which a player may not have?

Again, if a player doesn't have purifying tablets or the means to boil water, yet needs to drink it, he/she may be susceptible to disease when the water is drunk out of necessity. It's about managing risk.

In my opinion, and in my experiences, drinking untreated water is not worth the risk. 

And, why should fire-starting require certain items, if shitting is going to be put in game for a "realism" aspect? Come on, now. You can't give with one hand then take away with the other...

Finally, if you are that far along with regards to dehydration, you have done something wrong, as in "gone three days without drinking or eating wet food" wrong.  Your body has enough water stores to last for 3 days of exertion without resupply, before you are at serious risk of dehydration sickness. if you can't find/treat water before then, you probably aren't going to find any.

I hate realism for the sake of realism in games.Taking a dump, are you serious? Completely unnecessary feature, instead of this, they could work on adding real diseases, this is bullshit.

• Like 4

In my opinion, and in my experiences, drinking untreated water is not worth the risk. 

And, why should fire-starting require certain items, if shitting is going to be put in game for a "realism" aspect? Come on, now. You can't give with one hand then take away with the other...

Finally, if you are that far along with regards to dehydration, you have done something wrong, as in "gone three days without drinking or eating wet food" wrong.  Your body has enough water stores to last for 3 days of exertion without resupply, before you are at serious risk of dehydration sickness. if you can't find/treat water before then, you probably aren't going to find any.

You're reading real-world values into something that's both hypothetical (i.e. hasn't been implemented/finalized yet) and something that may not be intended to be a 1:1 simulation of reality (i.e. the hunger/thirst system).

I don't care about how "realistic" it is to defecate, I care about what it (as a mechanic) can offer the experience. Realism doesn't seem to matter to Rocket, as his discussion about this very issue has been solely focused on how it can effect gameplay (rather than justifying it through emulation of reality).

Yes, if you're dying of dehydration, you've done something wrong. Or luck hasn't been in your favor. Hence the "survival" genre moniker of DayZ. Thus creating a potentiality for desperation, thus requiring someone to drink potentially contaminated water just to survive.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

You're reading real-world values into something that's both hypothetical (i.e. hasn't been implemented/finalized yet) and something that may not be intended to be a 1:1 simulation of reality (i.e. the hunger/thirst system).

I don't care about how "realistic" it is to defecate, I care about what it (as a mechanic) can offer the experience. Realism doesn't seem to matter to Rocket, as his discussion about this very issue has been solely focused on how it can effect gameplay (rather than justifying it through emulation of reality).

Yes, if you're dying of dehydration, you've done something wrong. Or luck hasn't been in your favor. Hence the "survival" genre moniker of DayZ. Thus creating a potentiality for desperation, thus requiring someone to drink potentially contaminated water just to survive.

Even in the midst of a (admittedly, self-inflicted, to "test" myself) real life survival situation, i never got so desperate to drink untreated water. I waited until I had the means to boil my water (namely, a can I found floating in a stream and a fire. That can became my best friend for 3 weeks.) before drinking, no matter how thirsty I became. I know what was likely if I didn't wait. Maybe because I am trained, I am less likely to be desperate? Just adding my two cents here. 

Also, in dayz you are pretty much actively shooting yourself in the foot, water wise. In a RL survival situation, moving is the last think you should be doing. You can drop your water usage and metabolic rate by a great deal simply by building a decent shelter and sleeping most of the time. Running with full gear and fighting will suck up your bodily reserves pretty fast.

Finally,  I like how I have pretty much hijacked the thread and created my own little mini-discussion  :P

Edited by Whyherro123
  • Like 1

For something that has so much potential, both good and bad, it's sad to see so many people so vehemently against it. I think the factors it will bring into the survival aspect far outweigh the potential for abuse. The Ship had pissing and shitting, and it made things awesome!

It's like when I'm trying to get my five year old son to eat something new. He says he won't like it, but always ends up liking it after just trying it once...  Who knows, it may actually be a good thing, you just can't see it right now.

I urge you to see the other side of the potential, not just 'shit flinging and poop cocktails'.

• Like 2

I hate realism for the sake of realism in games.Taking a dump, are you serious? Completely unnecessary feature, instead of this, they could work on adding real diseases, this is bullshit.

It has gameplay potential.

Having to defecate is yet another thing your character has to do to stay healthy.

Therefore overall its a whole package.

- Hydration

- food consumption

- Defecation

All one cohesive gameplay element.

• Like 2

For something that has so much potential, both good and bad, it's sad to see so many people so vehemently against it. I think the factors it will bring into the survival aspect far outweigh the potential for abuse. The Ship had pissing and shitting, and it made things awesome!

It's like when I'm trying to get my five year old son to eat something new. He says he won't like it, but always ends up liking it after just trying it once... Who knows, it may actually be a good thing, you just can't see it right now.

I urge you to see the other side of the potential, not just 'shit flinging and poop cocktails'.

Honestly, i dont really like the other aspects of it either. Im not trying to be "vehement" but my stance on the subject won't be swayed. And I am a grown man and have learned to try MOST new things. Pooping in a online multiplayer isn't something im too keen on trying.

It has gameplay potential.

Having to defecate is yet another thing your character has to do to stay healthy.

Therefore overall its a whole package.

- Hydration

- food consumption

- Defecation

All one cohesive gameplay element.

I wonder how did we manage to have fun all these years in the mod, without having to take a dump.Why wasnt this in any of the popular mods, because it is not needed.

I personally want a zombie survival game, if I wanted a doll, that has to eat, drink and shit, I would have bought one in the toy store.

Edited by So Sexy

I wonder how did we manage to have fun all these years in the mod, without having <insert thing I don't like here>. Why was this in any of the popular mods, because it is <insert irrelevant dismissal here>

We don't need melee weapons, maps, or chat to have fun... yet we have these things. We don't need much of anything in DayZ.

I don't think anyone has said, "We need defecation to make DayZ fun finally!"

Edited by Katana67

We don't need melee weapons, maps, or chat to have fun... yet we have these things. We don't need much of anything in DayZ.

I don't think anyone has said, "We need defecation to make DayZ fun finally!"

Everything has limits, and no need to twist my words like a stupid kid, you know perfectly well what I meant.

But what potential are you talking about? deseases can be transfered multiple ways, you don't need defecation to spread a desease. Having to rest will be normal too, since not all people like to run around in nighttime or have to make a fire and so forth. I don't see what defecation offers that is so desirable. What was so special about it in "the Ship"? :| I really don't see any real benefit.

Everything has limits, and no need to twist my words like a stupid kid, you know perfectly well what I meant.

And what you meant was irrelevant. That's what I was highlighting.

But what potential are you talking about? deseases can be transfered multiple ways, you don't need defecation to spread a desease. Having to rest will be normal too, since not all people like to run around in nighttime or have to make a fire and so forth. I don't see what defecation offers that is so desirable. What was so special about it in "the Ship"? :| I really don't see any real benefit.

Defecation provides a player-initiated way of spreading disease. Short of giving folks vials of disease as a looted item, I don't foresee a way to do this otherwise. I mean one could theoretically snuggle in with some other players if that's how disease transfer ends up working. But one could just as easily sabotage a water supply. Either way, I'd rather multiple vectors than one.

• Like 1

And what you meant was irrelevant. That's what I was highlighting.

How was this irrelevant, games need to be fun, if you are having fun by taking a virtual dump, there is something wrong with you.

Edited by So Sexy
  • Like 1

As Rocket himself has frequently stated, there is a point at which realism gets in the way of gameplay, and that authenticity is a much better term to apply to what they are doing with DayZ. To me, when thinking about the requisites for an authentic zombie survival experience, having to shit does not really enter my mind. Its not a necessary element to make it authentic. It doesn't contribute anything that could not be achieved via other means. When one thinks about a zombie game one does not think "oh I hope they really nail taking a dump, because that is just so essential to the whole experience". 

I get the concept that diseases should be a threat in the game, and the idea of using it as a weapon is really cool, but why can't spoiled meat, rotting carcasses, or dead zombies themselves be the means of transmission. Perhaps making rags out of a dead zombie's clothing and using them to bandage someone and stuff. That is all interesting and cool. Shitting isn't. It is only good for one thing and that is appealing to simple minded scatological children. 

We have already had an example of why this should not be implemented. The notes system, which as you may remember had to be removed for a time because people were using it to write racially abusive messages and such. This is the level of maturity we have to contend with, and with that in mind we most certainly should not give the DayZ community poo to play with. 

Edited by DoctorBadSign
  • Like 3