JerDGold

More features = Less KoS?

The more time they're shooting zombies, the less time they're shooting me. 

I'll just be running along with my badass .22 rifle.  :lol:

Lucky you for finding magazines for it.

I am really fiending for a bolt action .22 that is super accurate out to 300m.

Lovely weapon to harrass people with.

I'm not sure T-Bozz, Chilli, or Left-Eye (RIP) ever gave anyone AIDS. Although I've been wrong before, I'm gonna' put my money on you being Chilli. She was the brains behind the operation anyway.

But clearly, scrubs are the kinda' guys gettin' no love from you.

Lisa Left eye had HIV

And where did this all come from? Butthurt bandit? It's ok bud, We need you kids to take out your anger griefing other players so we have less homicide irl. And yes. Kos kids get no love from me.

Lucky you for finding magazines for it.

I am really fiending for a bolt action .22 that is super accurate out to 300m.

Lovely weapon to harrass people with.

I actually found quite a few banana clips at the NW airfield.

I guess the CDF's military budget was cut...

A bolt action would be nice; a good, silent weapon for taking out unarmored players or zombies at distance. (that would actually take aiming to use.)

But yeah, it's hilarious to take out an M4A1 superhaz0rmlgz360pr0 with a sporter .22...

Edited by Geckofrog7

Lisa Left eye had HIV

And where did this all come from? Butthurt bandit? It's ok bud, We need you kids to take out your anger griefing other players so we have less homicide irl. And yes. Kos kids get no love from me.

Oh you are just too precious.

I mean, on one hand, it seems that adding features like vehicles and camp building will keep people from sitting around and sniping, and nailing fresh spawns, I also feel that those same people will still KoS anyone that comes near their vehicle/base/loot what have you.  

As for consequences, I don't see how they could be any worse at this point.  I mean, I don't support adding bullet tracers or sniper trails (unless realistic) in this game.  I don't support damage indicators.  I guess part of me tarting this thread is me not wanting to run around KoSing,  but as I'm getting used to the game and gearing up quicker, I'm wanting something more to do that doesn't involve ruining peoples days.  I just really think the game is awesome now, and has SO much potential.  Here's hoping that the devs get it right in the end and create a game that is fun and challenging while also sticking to their guns and not turning it into an FPS.

I think features more on the pve side will help.  KOS will never go away, it's a valid playstyle, but adding other stuff to do that doesn't directly result in pvp will go some way.  Such as hunting/fishing/farming/crafting.  These things should be tied into pvp in some form though.  Obviously it shouldn't be as gamey as eating a fish instantly gives you a ton of hp, but I think cooking/preparing food should have an effect of getting you to the "healthy" status quicker or speeding it up or something along those lines.

The other thing is to make these activities genuinely fun.  Lots of people like to fish in games, so if you make it fun I could see people primarily doing that.  Of course you have to watch your back because some dude is still going to kill you, but at the same time the person fishing might have previously been one of those types.  I primarily kill people in DayZ but if some of these activities were genuinely fun I'd give them a go, and then once you're done and heading back to your camp with your pack full of fish or whatever and you happen to see a guy on the way, you might think twice about engaging them.  So I think in that manner it will definitely lessen KOS to an extent, but still, some people just play to shoot people and that's where the risk comes in.  It's just about making the reward something worthwhile as well.

If you tie some subtle skills into these systems, like they've mentioned before it will also go some way to making you play more cautious.  If your character becomes good at chopping trees or farming or repairing cars or whatever, you might be that much more hesitant to get into that fight for no reason.  Obviously some players won't care about this sorta stuff, but that's fine too.  It's not about forcing behavior but allowing for it, and some players will care.  People already care a lot about their gear, even though other players (like myself) couldn't care less.

Don't get hung up on the fishing example, it's just an example.  The point is that they should lean more towards a proper mmo style of play (for lack of a better term) and round out the pve experience.  PvP is best with good PvE and vis versa.  Look at games like Ultima Online.  I'd take time out of pking to furnish and decorate my home, go chop some logs etc.

*note that by pve I am referring to crafting/hunting and that sort of thing, NOT adding in monsters/other enemies.  Zombies and aggressive animals is all dayz needs and should have in that regard, with players always being the primary threat.

Edited by Bororm

I'll admit to getting into firefights because I'm bored. I'm not sure more stuff will help but something to do that involves interacting with other players other than to shoot them in the face might help for me personally anyway.

(KoS'rs come on forums and scream because zombies are "ruining" the game.)

This is bullshit. Zombies make it easier. Targets lose focus on their surroundings and pay too much attention to the zombies, making them easy 1 or 2-shot prey- after which you bug out, reload, and wait for the zombies to chill, and either head back, or get ready to face the dead guys friends. Zombies rock, as aggressive as they are right now. (Pathing and AI still suck as does the clipping through walls- but those can be dealt with easily enough by the player.)

The only ones QQing about zombies are the baddies.

• Like 1

All this talk about making noise from firing and alerting the infected you've forgotten about hunting and dangerous animals.  You can't remove killing on sight, but you can make it very dangerous to be the predator.  Factor in weather effects, getting sick, a better hunger/thirst system, having to keep warm.  There is many things coming that is going to make sitting around waiting on easy targets more of a chore.

Edited by Caboose187

All this talk about making noise from firing and alerting the infected you've forgotten about hunting and dangerous animals.  You can't remove killing on sight, but you can make it very dangerous to be the predator.  Factor in weather effects, getting sick, a better hunger/thirst system, having to keep warm.  There is many things coming that is going to make sitting around waiting on easy targets more of a chore.

Yea the only way to "combat" kos is to add depth and skill tot he game.

+

More in depth and deeper survival mechanics will ensure kill on sight will probably be lessened or at the very least unskilled players will be unsuccessful most of the time.

• Like 2

Yea the only way to "combat" kos is to add depth and skill tot he game.

+

More in depth and deeper survival mechanics will ensure kill on sight will probably be lessened or at the very least unskilled players will be unsuccessful most of the time.

Are you capable of replying to a thread without pimping ACE?  Also, I totally agree, this system combined with more zombies/better ranges to react to gunshots, would help to tone down KoS, because the cod kiddies would never be able to figure it out.

Are you capable of replying to a thread without pimping ACE?  Also, I totally agree, this system combined with more zombies/better ranges to react to gunshots, would help to tone down KoS, because the cod kiddies would never be able to figure it out.

It's the solution to so many of the games problems everything from realism to banditry to killing on sight to skill less snipers.

It's a one stop shop for problem solving but more importantly it solves problems without outright alienating people with skill.

• Like 1

ohh, dear. All these people parachuting into the game and making these hundreds of questions that we're completely tired to answer.

No, more content = more shit to do. People will kill another people on sight if they want, there's nothing we can do.

However, more shit to do can reduce the fresh spawn grieving made by decked out/bored veteran players.

The only thing that would stop everybody from shooting each other for supplies on a SHTF scenario IRL is the feelings/morality, and that will NEVER be able to make into a game without needing artificial mechanics.

So long story short, learn to play and you wont get killed on sight. People are assholes, dont trust them.

Edited by lipemr

If you don't want KOS, you'd be best off joining a community/guild that has an interest in the building/crafting mechanics that are going to be introduced later down the line, rather than PvPing.

That's what I did. We are going to be frequenting a single server/few servers to build stuff and set up communities in towns, once that becomes possible.

As good folks said, more features = more fun.

KOS will never totally disapear, nor it should!

It's just a problem when everybody does it.

Regarding .22 LR rifle. I find it absurd I found magazines only in "camo" buildings.

Does it mean that .22 LR rifle magazines are considered military stuff now? Damn it, .22LR mags should spawn in civilian buildings, such as the rifle & pistol itself.

Devs should change it as it would help to promote using of .22LR weapons (they are shit without mag).

Same nonsence is crossbow and quivers in Police Station. 

As good folks said, more features = more fun.

KOS will never totally disapear, nor it should!

It's just a problem when everybody does it.

Regarding .22 LR rifle. I find it absurd I found magazines only in "camo" buildings.

Does it mean that .22 LR rifle magazines are considered military stuff now? Damn it, .22LR mags should spawn in civilian buildings, such as the rifle & pistol itself.

Devs should change it as it would help to promote using of .22LR weapons (they are shit without mag).

Same nonsence is crossbow and quivers in Police Station. 

Pretty much.

all of the magazine fed weapons are pretty useless due to not spawning with magazines.

The only one that does not go by this rule is the m4 as it always spawns in mil loot and within mil loot there will be magazines in close vicinity of it.

This is not the cas eiwth the other weapons.

Pretty much.

all of the magazine fed weapons are pretty useless due to not spawning with magazines.

The only one that does not go by this rule is the m4 as it always spawns in mil loot and within mil loot there will be magazines in close vicinity of it.

This is not the cas eiwth the other weapons.

Yes M4 mags are the most abundant magazines of them all, which again does not make sense.

I would expect pistol mags, atleast for CR75, to be more abundant.  Also it would seem more balanced, since pistols are good to maybe 30 meters max.

Random traits that give a player a certain skillset (carpenter, electrician etc), something that would give your char's life actual 'value' to the server's community

I really like this idea, and it adds a level of realism. It would have to be thought through really carefully though. Squad members would simly suicide until they spawned with the skills missing from the group. If the chances of being 'born' with a skill depended on the length of a previous life, up to a maximum % chance which is still very small, this might work as a mechanism, something like:

<1 hr = 0%

1-2 hrs =2.5%

2-5 hrs = 5%

5-10 hrs = 7.5%

>10 hrs = 10%

Then you'd have 'talented' people who are useful without gear/guns/squad membership, and if such people could be put to use on a project it might make people think twice before they KoS. A bandit group could at least ask a potential victim if they have any skills (mechanic, carpenter, medic) before just killing them. This also would lead to the interesting roleplay where a potential victim could lie about their skills to save their skin, only to be caught out later if they fail to be able to use the abilities they claim to have.

Edited by kander
  • Like 1

So I never really got into playing the Mod, every time I got started as a fresh spawn, I had a really difficult time, got frustrated and switched to SA.  It's def. easier to get started and gear up in SA because of the lack of Zed presence and how buggy they are.

I tell you that to ask this question...what's the KoS situation in Mod servers?  To more features, like cars and camps etc... lead to a slightly friendlier atmosphere?  The concept that you can run into other survivors on a server and for that period of time, on that server, you will have a group of survivors "trying to make it" is what really drew me to DayZ.  But I don't really get that.  The only time someone is willing to not shoot me on sight is if I'm a fresh spawn.  And that's fine, I'm not complaining.  I get it.  But what, if anything, can be added as a feature to make people feel more comfortable interacting with other survivors?  And I'm NOT reccomending save games and the like.

Simply adding "features" wont reduce KOSing as ultimately it is a game and aside from doing some really annoying thing like making you wait like 4 hours to respawn or something people will do what makes them happy. for some people, crashing other's fun makes them happy. Others enjoy raiding/fighting other clans, etc.

I would say the more extensive content on the Mod (especially side mods like epoch) favor group/clan play so you do see more cooperation but the average random will still generally get capped if they have a nice gun or backpack. if you want cooperative play, i would look for a regular group to play with on comms thiers plenty that us TS/skype/mumble/etc outside of serious clans if you dont want to comit to a large group.

Lategame features somehow reducing KOS is a myth.

Lategame features somehow reducing KOS is a myth.

Lategame features encourage group play. they do not spare the lives of clueless randoms. Cooperation goes up, Pvp does not delcine however. See epoch. You go from cherno KOSers to clans and squads fighting over caches and bases and blowing up eachothers vehicles- which is good imho. i really like how that environment somehwat factionalizes servers without any clunky faction mechanics. people group up/clan up because thats how you loot airdrops/caches. thats how you end up with briefs full of gold and in turn, plenty of helos to pillage opposing clans with :)

Lategame features encourage group play. they do not spare the lives of clueless randoms. Cooperation goes up, Pvp does not delcine however. See epoch. You go from cherno KOSers to clans and squads fighting over caches and bases and blowing up eachothers vehicles- which is good imho. i really like how that environment somehwat factionalizes servers without any clunky faction mechanics. people group up/clan up because thats how you loot airdrops/caches. thats how you end up with briefs full of gold and in turn, plenty of helos to pillage opposing clans with :)

Gawd, I hope SA doesn't just turn into one giant clan vs clan arena battle.

I wouldn't hardly call it an arena battle mate. Scarcity necessitates PvP. Simple as.

You work hard to make sure you and your crew has all the best stuff, then use that stuff to make sure any other groups who may want to theaten your position in that server DONT have that stuff. (By stealin from thier bases, capturing/destroying vehicles, and kliing any of them who take a pop shot at you in the process.) the more time They spend re organizing, respawning, and re looting gear the less time they have to cause you any trouble- only bugger is almost ever competent PvP oriented dayZ clan also thinks this way :)

clans are the result of people cooperating, so you dont want people to cooperate with each other?

i'm really not seeing your point, i get that you're against meaningless pvp, and you're against cooperation between people, what the hell?

It will most certainly come, looking forward to this!

But i doubt it will reduce KOS. There was a discussion about this some month before, but I'm too lazy to search it right now.

IDK maybe you might. If you could leave all your stuff at your base and head out unarmed (except maybe an aex for zeds) nobody is going to shoot you down unless they're a dick which will happen from time to time. I guess how you approach people plays an important part in it.