JerDGold

More features = Less KoS?

So I never really got into playing the Mod, every time I got started as a fresh spawn, I had a really difficult time, got frustrated and switched to SA.  It's def. easier to get started and gear up in SA because of the lack of Zed presence and how buggy they are.

I tell you that to ask this question...what's the KoS situation in Mod servers?  To more features, like cars and camps etc... lead to a slightly friendlier atmosphere?  The concept that you can run into other survivors on a server and for that period of time, on that server, you will have a group of survivors "trying to make it" is what really drew me to DayZ.  But I don't really get that.  The only time someone is willing to not shoot me on sight is if I'm a fresh spawn.  And that's fine, I'm not complaining.  I get it.  But what, if anything, can be added as a feature to make people feel more comfortable interacting with other survivors?  And I'm NOT reccomending save games and the like.

While giving people something to do after they're geared up can tone it down, otherwise there is almost no way to reduce KoS.

Some people are just cowards/want to have some lulz.

The best way to fight it is to be extremely cautious, and just generally do some creative stuff with random people.

(Nobody shoots a guy sneaking up on them with a Solid Snake soundboard..)

Edited by Geckofrog7
  • Like 1

Features that can only be accessed through cooperating with other players, such as base building and vehicle repair. Random traits that give a player a certain skillset (carpenter, electrician etc), something that would give your char's life actual 'value' to the server's community. There would still be KoS, griefers, bandits and what-have-you, but it would certainly reduce it imo.

Edited by Amias Free
  • Like 1

Features that can only be accessed through cooperating with other players. Random traits that give a player a certain skillset (carpenter, electrician etc) and value to the server's community.

It will most certainly come, looking forward to this!

But i doubt it will reduce KOS. There was a discussion about this some month before, but I'm too lazy to search it right now.

Edited by elLoCo

The only things that really toned down kos in any of the mods were insanely tough zombies and super uber rare loot. Even then, it didn't last long.

As long as the majority of players see Dayz as nothing more than another fps, it will remain as such.

• Like 1

that is a very popular belief around here but it is completely false.

More features simply mean more features.

It will do absolutely nothing to stop kos.

• Like 2

More consequences = less likely KoS.

Simply adding features won't necessarily do anything.

We'll never be able to make KoS a rare occurrence, but we can balance it through the addition of consequence to action (i.e. fire your weapon in Cherno, zombies eat your face).

Edited by Katana67

More consequences = less likely KoS.

Simply adding features won't necessarily do anything.

We'll never be able to make KoS a rare occurrence, but we can balance it through the addition of consequence to action (i.e. fire your weapon in Cherno, zombies eat your face).

That would just change the behavior or tactics used to kos.

Players will then just kill the enemy player then sprint away to safety. Only to return to do the same thing once things have settled down.

Or they will extend the ranges in which they engage away from zombies.

Ultimately people will behave the same as they always have and continue to kos.

• Like 1

(i.e. fire your weapon in Cherno, zombies eat your face).

(KoS'rs come on forums and scream because zombies are "ruining" the game.)

Players will then just kill the enemy player then sprint away to safety. Only to return to do the same thing once things have settled down.

Yes, and making it more difficult to KoS is the objective (i.e. through the addition of consequence). Removing it or stopping people that do KoS isn't the objective. Making it less attractive overall is the objective.

Edited by Katana67

If you scrubs couldnt build a base without the help of other people.... you would probably kos less.

If you scrubs couldnt build a base without the help of other people.... you would probably kos less.

TLC-e1375130817339.jpg

Which one are you? I've noticed a lot of TLC members seem to be avid DayZ players. Are you T-Bozz or Chilli?

• Like 1

(KoS'rs come on forums and scream because zombies are "ruining" the game.)

Griefing winds me up, but I never saw any KoS players complain about this in the mod nor in this game. You're just trying to add fuel.

TLC-e1375130817339.jpg

Which one are you? I've noticed a lot of TLC members seem to be avid DayZ players. Are you T-Bozz or Chilli?

The one that gives bandits AIDS.

Owned,

Griefing winds me up, but I never saw any KoS players complain about this in the mod nor in this game. You're just trying to add fuel.

Were you online when the last patch came out?

There was about 20 "I'VE HAD IT WITH THIS GAME!!!" threads because zombies made pvp too hard and people actually had to start worrying about zombies.

There was about 20 "I'VE HAD IT WITH THIS GAME!!!" threads because zombies made pvp too hard and people actually had to start worrying about zombies.

In his defense, I don't remember many of the threads specifically referring to PvP specifically.

The one that gives bandits AIDS.

Owned,

I'm not sure T-Bozz, Chilli, or Left-Eye (RIP) ever gave anyone AIDS. Although I've been wrong before, I'm gonna' put my money on you being Chilli. She was the brains behind the operation anyway.

But clearly, scrubs are the kinda' guys gettin' no love from you.

I don't remember any such thing, but I do recall a lot of people being upset that they made zombies give and take much more damage despite them still ghosting through walls and having ESP. BIg difference. Stop stirring.

Camps + cars = fully geared players actually trying to survive up north instead of going on a killing spree + several survivors going camp hunting + more players occupied with finding cars (AKA spreading accross the map more) + more players specifically looking for industrial loot rather than military loot (further spreading them accross the map) = a lot less KoS in all settlements.

Could probably name a few more.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/181496-it-has-happened/?hl=+zombies%20+pvp

I'll see if I can find that one thread that got graveyarded..

anyways, not trying to start crap, just saying that no matter what the devs do, half the player base will be unhappy.

Edited by Geckofrog7

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/181496-it-has-happened/?hl=+zombies%20+pvp

I'll see if I can find that one thread that got graveyarded..

anyways, not trying to start crap, just saying that no matter what the devs do, half the player base will be unhappy.

A couple of quotes from Reddit is not at all representative of the community, and I think it's clear to everybody here that you're trying to start something by bringing baggage from another thread in to this one. I am simply calling you on it and saying you should stop stirring.

A couple of quotes from Reddit is not at all representative of the community, and I think it's clear to everybody here that you're trying to start something by bringing baggage from another thread in to this one. I am simply calling you on it and saying you should stop stirring.

Alright, fine, just saying if you look those threads are there.

i'm honestly not stirring, just noting something that actually did seem to have an effect on KoS.

Edited by Geckofrog7

Alright, fine, just saying if you look those threads are there.

i'm honestly not stirring, just noting something that actually did seem to have an effect on KoS.

Honestly most people who KoS will just shoot the zombies, they're already intending to shoot the place up anyway.

• Like 1

Honestly most people who KoS will just shoot the zombies, they're already intending to shoot the place up anyway.

The more time they're shooting zombies, the less time they're shooting me. 

I'll just be running along with my badass .22 rifle.  :lol:

Edited by Geckofrog7
  • Like 1

I think the question is: Will adding more features make surviving harder?

KOS mentality will never be stopped in those who just want to see chaos.

When attacking everyone you see has a huge chance for repercussion of injury to yourself, and destroying the precious supplies you need to survive or treat the injuries you sustained, you will just be back on the coast over and over again.

The coast will always be a war-zone, getting away from it will be the survivor mentality.