Sign in to follow this  
AshleyP

Zombie horde from the north

The mod has always had a gameplay model whereby the zombies spawn in towns, although I remember there was an update used very briefly which had zombies spawning in the countryside. It was taken out for performance reasons, if I recall, and I miss it; it made the forests a little more dangerous.

I used to play a flight sim called Aces High, which had a terrain-holding system. Once one of the game's three factions took and held a certain percentage of airbases, the map was "won" and reset. I've been pondering a similar model for DayZ. My suggestion, and this involves adding some features that can be turned off if required:

1. Rework the current zombie spawns so that the server admin can set the zombie spawn rate, from zero to lots. This lets the server admin implement "classic" DayZ if he wants, or alternatively have a map with no zombies at all.

2. Block off the northern edge of the map so that the players can't access it. Cover the dividing line with a radiation / plague zone that kills the player if he gets too close, as in STALKER. This would also solve the problem of the map having a visible edge, which has always been one of the game's bizarre reality-breaking features:

2qdxs7m.jpg

"Hey, why don't we make it an island, like in Operation Flashpoint? Or put in radiation zones, like STALKER?"

"No, that would be unrealistic. STALKER is science fiction, DayZ is reality. Let's make the terrain come to a dead halt instead. Just like in real life."

3. Optionally spawn zombies north of that line. The server owner can set the spawn rate, again from zero to thousands. These zombies are given the goal of walking towards the southern shore, perhaps flocking towards Cherno and Elektro. if the zombies breach a certain threshold for a certain amount of time, make it so that the map is "nuked" by the authorities and (a) all the players are killed ( b ) their tents, vehicles etc are destroyed in a blinding white flash of nuclear fire. Thus giving the players an incentive not to simply kill each other.

Perhaps have it so that the zombies are given the goal of demolishing the hospital or the central government building in Cherno, and if they succeed - simply by whacking it with their fists, thousands of fists - the map is declared lost. The admin has power over the zombie spawn rate; if he sets it to zero, the map will be essentially Classic DayZ. In combination with point 1 the admin could turn off all the zombies all over the map, turning it into a player-vs-player funfest.

Voilà. The idea is that if the players do nothing or just fight amongst themselves, the map will eventually become overrun with zombies and then everyone will die and lose everything. Initially the southern half of the map will be zombie-free, but over time all the loot will be scooped up, and the players will be forced to head north. At which point they run into a zombie horde, so they'll have to fight hard to get what they want.

The key things are (a) determining the performance hit of having thousands of persistent zombies on the map ( b ) giving the server admin power to turn these features on or off as required. I would pay for that game. I would pay again for that game.

Edited by AshleyP

No. This would not work but i do want radiation zones, not just on the edge of the map.

• Like 1

Zombies from the north? Only if there is a great wall of ice manned by black-clad warriors blocking their path.

• Like 1

To be honest, I like none of you ideas... :(

Exept the spawning of zombie hordes in the wild, wandering around. :)

If you don't feel comfortable around that "border" (I don't blame you, it does look hideous) there are two options :

#1 Don't go there (duh). I mean, I've seen it once or twice, when flying in a helo, but that aside, why would you go there? There is literally nothing up there.

#2 This is my preferred way of dealing with it : The map shouldn't end so abrupt, but instead the forest should slowly change into something like a savana, where eventually even the gras dissapears. You won't even be able to tell where exactly the map ends :)

Weparo

Nice idea weparo, maybe also radiation effect to deter you from travelling too far in the savannah?

I don't think I like this idea completely. I want hordes, definitely. That way if you get into a gunfight, you have something new to worry about. Or, you have to be extra careful when looting. That sounds awesome since it's way too easy right now.

I like the original faction thing that you mentioned honestly. Big groups of people is something I wanna see happen, but I don't like having a horde of zombies with a purpose in their heads.

Zombies from the north? Only if there is a great wall of ice manned by black-clad warriors blocking their path.

lolz at the Game of Thrones reference.

• Like 1

This sounds more like ideas that could be applied when SA becomes moddable, rather than things that should be put in the vanilla.

• Like 1

I'd personally love to see dynamic events in DayZ such as your idea of hordes of Zombies. Maybe these hordes would randomly spawn in a variety areas (not just the north) and just slowly migrate, forcing players to flee or try and navigate around the horde.

I'd imagine scenarios where players would warn each other of incoming hordes or potentially direct them towards the masses of zombies.

Unfortunately I believe that performance issues will always limit ideas like these so I feel it's unlikely that we'll ever see a 'Zombie Horde' DayZ Experience.

I wouldn't mind hordes in the game either. I was more referring to that zombie overrunning the map minigame, as well as the radiation/plague thing.

I love the idea of zombie hordes. I've been playing this game for about a week now, and one of my first thoughts was; "There's not many zombies considering this is a zombie apocalypse." I know its an alpha, and nowhere near the finished game, but there needs to be more zombies. They're more of an annoyance than a threat at the minute.  

I love the idea of zombie hordes. I've been playing this game for about a week now, and one of my first thoughts was; "There's not many zombies considering this is a zombie apocalypse." I know its an alpha, and nowhere near the finished game, but there needs to be more zombies. They're more of an annoyance than a threat at the minute.  

I still would want them to fix the zombies before they start spawning massive amounts of them. At the moment they are just too glitchy.

I still would want them to fix the zombies before they start spawning massive amounts of them. At the moment they are just too glitchy.

True. I have given up closing doors on buildings to stop zombies, because they can just run straight through just about anything at the moment.