Sign in to follow this  
gibonez

Why is pvp and gunfights so bad in stand alone?

just wait till rain, wind and the cold affect ballistics OP. not sure how far off it is but its going to make it a lot harder.

The settings are still bugged and do nothing.. its 1:1 mouse movement, where as before there were all sorts of input lag issues. I find it flawless now, it did however take a moment to get used to.. I almost forgot what it was like to have it respond properly to my commands ;)

It's too fucking fast for me. It's like I move my mouse a tad left and I'm already looking the opposite way. Like WTH >.<

• Like 1

just wait till rain, wind and the cold affect ballistics OP. not sure how far off it is but its going to make it a lot harder.

Only at range. That is why I focus mostly on CQB style PVP..

The SA seems content on not letting people attack from distances so Ill wait until it does before I go back to my old style of playing like in the mods. 

I think it's some of the things covered already.  The dispersion means there's a large element of chance when shooting at longer ranges.  The current lack of zoom while aiming down sights means unless you have a scope, most engagements are 200m or less, and more likely 100m or less.  In the mod you were very capable of engaging people easily at 300m with iron sights.  There's also a lot more urban fighting in the SA since all the buildings are enterable, and with lag/desync and people drifting through walls etc it just makes for some really shitty engagements imo.

I think it's still fun, and I feel like while the lag etc in towns is shitty, the movement itself actually feels better than the mod so I think once they tidy it up the urban cqb stuff will be better.  I'm glad they've got ironsight zoom on experimental now, I haven't tried it but that ought to help a lot too.  Eventually they'll work on balancing/fixing guns so that should be great as well.

Sounds are wonky as fuck too, it's hard to pinpoint gunshots like the mod.  Sometimes you don't even hear shots if you aren't facing them.  And sound effects in general aren't so great, many of the guns lack ooomph.

I think it's just a work in progress, they don't actually give a shit about gunplay and pvp in the alpha right now.

Edited by Bororm

I don't have any issues with the mouse controls, aiming or combat.  In fact, I find them more fluid and smooth compared to ARMA 3.  Hell, the standalone runs way better than ARMA 3 in my opinion.  I get better fps on the the SA than I do in ARMA 3.

To each their own, Arma 3 runs flawless for me. The graphics/ballistics/stances and overall engine are a blast to play with. 

• Like 2

never played a worse set of games for the gun ergonomics ,

Again the majority of people on here will swear blind there is nothing wrong with it but Arma games always feel god awful in relation to weapons.

The weapon feels like its at the end of a 16 meter stick attached to your mouse.

I prefer to press space to lift the weapon then aim with the white dot.

TBH though its one of the things that i like about dayz , makes everyone equally as shit at aiming , makes for a better gunfight.

I guess there are multiple factors, but i felt the same in the game (warning: wall of text ahead):

1. High random bullet spread:

Far inferior to the extreme gun sway and very little bullet spread in Arma 3, which i prefer

Gun Sway in Arma 3 keeps the skill cap high, while not forcing you to rely on luck if you hit that guy

on 300 meters or if the bullet lands 5 meters next to him

Especially enraging with the M4 without Magpul parts and the SKS, which is inaccurate as hell sometimes

Also zoom factors are totally random:

- PSU Scope: Normal zoom factor (as if long right clicking without ADS)

- ACOG: No clue what zoom is on that

- LRS: DMR from Arma 2

- Iron sight: worse than zooming in without a gun (???why???)

plus you can adjust scope zoom with the FOV slider :wacko:

2. Desync

Has anyone ever fought a guy with an Axe in an apartment building randomly glitching through

almost every single wall, making it impossible for you to shoot him while he actually

just makes a beeline in the corridor on his screen? It is f*cking ridiculous

That is also why you see people constantly flashing through walls of buildings for a second, btw

3. Camouflage

Just find green stuff, theres nothing better, and there is a lot of it

After a half hour of spawning, many people allready run around completely greenish,

and you can even choose the green color for your starting gear...

Maybe one of the smaller factors, but i think it is SO out of this world,

and it makes it very hard to nigh impossible to spot people just proning in grass

4. Glitching through walls, wallglitching to see through buildings

Just annoying, and you need to use the wallglitch right now because else

people will have a major advantage over you

Speaking of bullet speed, rounds seem to travel slower than arma 2 as well which also plays a factor.

Always thought the ARMA 2 gunplay was too close to Counter-Strike style laser beam rifles for my taste. I personally like not having to worry about being picked off from 1200m any time I'm running anywhere in the Standalone. The stock M4 needs some work, otherwise I think most of the other weapons are fine.

• Like 1

I was just messing with the mosin in stand alone and I realize how horrible it feels.

I wish the bolt actions were even half as satisfying as the bolt guns in Red orchestra 2 then the game will be going places.

- Manual bolting

- weapon resting

- free aim mechanics

get those in the game and gunplay will be terrific.

• Like 1

Also, maybe the guns are they are specifically for gameplay reasons, I dunno. What I do know is I've had waaaaaaaaay more chances to return fire and come out on top in the Standalone. Where as most of my deaths in the mod are a bullet from an unknown location that takes me down in a single shot, most of my deaths in the standalone have been from prolonged fire fights that I actually enjoyed.

From the perspective of someone who camps on hospitals the gunplay in SA might suck, but from someone who likes to travel around while he plays it is way better.

It's too fucking fast for me. It's like I move my mouse a tad left and I'm already looking the opposite way. Like WTH >.<

Turn your mouse sensitivity down?

I was just messing with the mosin in stand alone and I realize how horrible it feels.

I wish the bolt actions were even half as satisfying as the bolt guns in Red orchestra 2 then the game will be going places.

- Manual bolting

- weapon resting

- free aim mechanics

get those in the game and gunplay will be terrific.

The gun play in red orchestra is absolutely terrific. Don't see why they do not add it. 

Because it's pretty complex and the entire game is built around it, where as arma/dayz is not?

I'm referring to the weapon resting mechanics primarily.

Edited by Bororm

Because it's pretty complex and the entire game is built around it, where as arma/dayz is not?

I'm referring to the weapon resting mechanics primarily.

well weapon resting has been added by the modding community atleast in arma 3 within a month of it releasing so it cant be that hard.

If this is what you are referring to it looks like a pretty lousy system, and nothing like RO.  The gun isn't even interacting with the environment, it's just getting a bonus and "sticking" to objects.

In case you haven't noticed, the SA isn't about half-assing in new systems like a mod.  They'd most likely have to redesign all the interiors.  When was the last time you actually stuck your gun out a window in dayz?  I don't just mean aim out it, but actually stick your gun out it.  Also consider how many objects in the world you actually shoot over in a scenario where it would be appropriate to rest your gun on them.  There really aren't a lot, the map isn't designed with using cover in that regard in mind.

Red Orchestra is built from the ground up with that mechanic in mind is all I'm saying, and while it would be cool

Don't see why they do not add it.

seems like a huge oversimplification.

• Like 1

If this is what you are referring to it looks like a pretty lousy system, and nothing like RO.  The gun isn't even interacting with the environment, it's just getting a bonus and "sticking" to objects.

In case you haven't noticed, the SA isn't about half-assing in new systems like a mod.  They'd most likely have to redesign all the interiors.  When was the last time you actually stuck your gun out a window in dayz?  I don't just mean aim out it, but actually stick your gun out it.  Also consider how many objects in the world you actually shoot over in a scenario where it would be appropriate to rest your gun on them.  There really aren't a lot, the map isn't designed with using cover in that regard in mind.

Red Orchestra is built from the ground up with that mechanic in mind is all I'm saying, and while it would be cool

seems like a huge oversimplification.

There are many variations of weapon resting in Arma.

Best imo is the ACE method because it has a very tactile implementation. When you deploy a weapon on a surface or use your bipod you have absolutely no doubt that it is latched on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjKG-x0lIEE

When deployed weapon movement is reduced allowing for more precise shots at longer distances, its intuitive and fun to use.

In case you haven't noticed, the SA isn't about half-assing in new systems like a mod.  They'd most likely have to redesign all the interiors.

WTF did they have to redesign all of the interiors for that mod to work in arma 3 ?

Even the mod you showed in your video would be insanely beneficial to dayz.

Here is the ace method but in more detail.

Edited by gibonez
  • Like 1

It looks like a really lousy implementation to me.  There's no animation or any indication you're resting your gun, besides a small jerk and a huge accuracy increase.  The gun isn't interacting with the environment in any different way.

It would take a lot of effort to make it look good, and I'd rather they do it right than just throw in sloppy bonuses because hey, you're next to an object.

It looks like a really lousy implementation to me.  There's no animation or any indication you're resting your gun, besides a small jerk and a huge accuracy increase.  The gun isn't interacting with the environment in any different way.

It would take a lot of effort to make it look good, and I'd rather they do it right than just throw in sloppy bonuses because hey, you're next to an object.

The is 0 increase in accuracy. It merely changes how the weapon handles, it functions like real life.

Resting your gun on a surface, allows for less sway and better recoil management.

The gun is more accurate because the recoil is removed in those videos.

The gun is more accurate because the recoil is removed in those videos.

The gun is mechanically accurate regardless of the mod or not.

The cone of fire did not magically decrease as you are suggesting.

I'm not suggesting that, don't be an idiot.

The way you worded it sorta seemed to suggest that. Then again the whole accuracy vs precision argument is always a strange one. Not to mention the whole if a player is accurate with a weapon does that in fact make said weapon more accurate too ?

Massive weapon spread.

Questionable damage of the guns.

Kinda wonky aiming system.

That's also why I prefer Mosin/SKS over the M4.

This is pretty much exactly what I came here to say, thank you and enjoy your beans.