ThatBritshGuy

Change the walk up hills!

Walking up hills is horrible in the SA, the tiniest of hills/banks will force you to walk stupidly slow, this is even worse when in a gun fight. You are getting shot at and run to some trees for cover but there is a little tiny hill and you are forced to walk whilst getting shot and can lead to your death. I think this should be changed as it is totally unrealistic and just annoying...

Edited by ThatBritshGuy
  • Like 15

Walking up hills is horrible in the SA, the tiniest of hills/banks will force you to walk stupidly slow, this is even worse when in a gun fight. You are getting shot at and run to some trees for cover but there is a little tiny hill and you are forced to walk whitest getting shot and can lead to your death. I think this should be changed as it is totally unrealistic and just annoying...

u racist, bro?

• Like 3

You can run at an angle like in Skyrim and Fallout. I agree though, it should be a bit steeper before they force us to walk.

• Like 1

Yeah totally agreed. Made a topic about this when the alpha got released and was annoyed about it in the mod too.

The hills need new runnin animations. You should be able to sprint and jog the hills up but to do those you shouldn't be able to move like you were running on a flat ground. 

Walking is just a little too much when first you run like an athlete and the second after a tiny hill makes you magically move like an fat ass.

Edited by DannyRed
  • Like 3

My point is they are not steep.

Uh, wrong.   Also, try running up hill with a backpack full of canned food, ammo, bandages and canteens and drinks.  You're looking at at least 50+lbs of weight on your back.  Good luck.   Now, running downhill is what really needs to be fixed.

Uh, wrong.   Also, try running up hill with a backpack full of canned food, ammo, bandages and canteens and drinks.  You're looking at at least 50+lbs of weight on your back.  Good luck.   Now, running downhill is what really needs to be fixed.

caboose doesn't know that this is possible and actually easier than it looks

• Like 5

caboose doesn't know that this is possible and actually easier than it looks

Ya, running up hill is easier than it looks.  :rolleyes:

Yeah totally agreed. Made a topic about this when the alpha got released and was annoyed about it in the mod too.

The hills need new runnin animations. You should be able to sprint and jog the hills up but to do those you shouldn't be able to move like you were running on a flat ground. 

Walking is just a little too much when first you run like an athlete and the second after a tiny hill makes you magically move like an fat ass.

try sprinting over steep hills you will move exactly like the character does.

You troll with the worst of them.

A 10 degree incline causes you to walk slowly. Be serious. FFS.

Absolutely if you have 60 pounds + of gear on your back.

• Like 1

I don't agree with you often if at all lol, but this I do agree with.

Edited by Caboose187

If you're going to use that logic, why not throw "you're getting shot at by a large group of extremely randy bandits" into the mix?

Moving up steep inclines should cause your character to scramble up, not resort to walking. Scrambling should be much faster than walking, but should incur a severe fatigue penalty.

• Like 1

If you're going to use that logic, why not throw "you're getting shot at by a large group of extremely randy bandits" into the mix?

Moving up steep inclines should cause your character to scramble up, not resort to walking. Scrambling should be much faster than walking, but should incur a severe fatigue penalty.

We only have three standing forward movement animations for the time being.  I do agree with scrambling up hill but that alone is going to need a new animation and until they actually address the superman syndrome of unlimited sprint, we're going to half to deal with what we have right now. 

You do realise this slow walking up hills is actually on ANY slight incline in Dayz don't you? The road out of Berezino towards Gorka is the only example i have right now but go run up it, oh wait you can't.

Edited by Victus Mortuus

Yeah, yeah, yeah +50lbs on your back, but what if you have NOTHING on your back (or a little taloon backpack with some cans), and you're a newspawn?

HA!

YOU ARE STILL FORCED TO WALK!

FIGHT THAT BACK!

• Like 3

Wait, y'all don't know the bug that allows you to jog straight up hills..?

Also, if you aren't sprinting with your fists up, the change in slope will make the change in speed less dramatic. I've noticed that you skip the jogging speed if you run with your fists up.

Edited by Dagwood

Ya, running up hill is easier than it looks.  :rolleyes:

Do I need to video myself running up the ski slope with 50+ pounds?

Cause it's easy.

Edited by Geckofrog7
  • Like 2

I bet the people who are complaining are the same ones who love the unlimited stamina and 14 mph sprint speed even when you have a mosin + 60 lb of gear in the backpack.

• Like 1

In the game the hills look pretty smooth, so it is annoying. In real life the hills might be muddy, slippery, covered in vines, loose leaves, rocks, branches, fallen trees and undergrowth... but they can't add all that stuff into the game. They should have a scrambling animation and a better stamina system.

• Like 3

try sprinting over steep hills you will move exactly like the character does.

Of course it all depends on how steep the hill is but I've ran hills irl yes. I promise you if I can run forward and a small bump comes infront I can definitely jog it over.

The thing is that I'm not talking about "straight as a wall" types of steep hills. I'm talking about the ones that I should be able to be jog on.

It's irritating and ridiculous that your character isn't even trying to run on the hill when there's danger but decides to walk as if it was a relaxing Sunday walk.

Edited by DannyRed
  • Like 5

If the gear was affecting you on a flat surface in the game then sure your argument would be valid but this isn't the case in the alpha as of yet.

• Like 1

Of course it all depends on how steep the hill is but I've ran hills irl yes. I promise you if I can run forward and a small bump comes infront I can definitely jog it over.

The thing is that I'm not talking about "straight as a wall" types of steep hills. I'm talking about the ones that I should be able to be jog on.

It's irritating and ridiculous that your character isn't even trying to run on the hill when there's danger but decides to walk as if it was a relaxing Sunday walk.

*whistles away and walks through the hail of 5.56 rounds*

• Like 1

What if you're carrying nothing but your shirt and your pants?

Not everyone has 60 pounds of gear on their back, I like to travel light.