preacherlr

As-50_Thermal and MP5K [ Standalone ]

I have no idea how it works, but can we open the PBO files and see what is really in them? perhaps the MP5 is really models for other weapons and simply use the file name for simplicities sake? and later the PBO's and files will be renamed/moved to a new file structure?

Edit: changed wording for clarification

Edited by bodybagger2430

I have no idea how it works, but can we open the PBO files and see what is really in them? perhaps the MP5 is really models for other weapons and simply use the file name for simplicities sake? and later the PBO's and files will be renamed/moved to a new file structure?

Yes, people can and have arleady looked at the PBOs, I don't know how but they can.  So much so that the AS50 has already been confirmed as a Hoax, if you open up the file it's just 3d text spelling out Trollololo.  The MP5K is confirmed to be in, they showed screenshots of it already and a few have seen the file.  They might use it as the base model to add in the Full size MP5 and other varriants, but for now were getting the K.

I doubt that they would do that, it adds a huge potential to screw up the game if they were referencing incorrect files. But to answer your question, yes, you can open the PBO file with some different programs (like PBO Manager, PBOview, etc.) and then just open the p3d files in a model viewer.

Also, some people will port models to Arma 3 and then spawn them in.

dayz-leaked-mp5k-unfinished-model-dayz-s

Clearly an MP5K, but it's missing the foregrip (so it'll probably have to be found) and the back of the model looks like it will be compatible with a PDW-styled folding stock.

(snip)

(snip)

yes I read back a bit and saw that the as50 was a hoax. The mp5 I am a bit sad on I was hoping for the Tommy gun, but really it is well placed as a police weapon, I can see it as the intermediate between military and civil gear, the civil answer to the M4 for heroes really. And hopefully it will be better or the same, with more abundant ammo.

yes I read back a bit and saw that the as50 was a hoax. The mp5 I am a bit sad on I was hoping for the Tommy gun, but really it is well placed as a police weapon, I can see it as the intermediate between military and civil gear, the civil answer to the M4 for heroes really. And hopefully it will be better or the same, with more abundant ammo.

We'll probably have more than one SMG eventually.

Doubt you'd find a Thompson M1A1 or M1928 outside of the U.S. but it's definitely a cool gun.

We'll probably have more than one SMG eventually.

Doubt you'd find a Thompson M1A1 or M1928 outside of the U.S. but it's definitely a cool gun.

Well, consider how much fighting was on the Russian fronts in WW2, I think it is inevitable that some tommy guns and B.A.R.'s would be sent back to (now former) soviet states from some of those joint operations between American and Soviet forces. And if you go into Chernarus being the Czech republic, that just means that they were conscripted Nazis,  which GUARANTEES that they would have been fighting both Americans and Russians, so there were VERY likely war souvenirs.

Edit: but as I said, MP5 is probably the better choice for the SMG, we might see a few WW2 rifles and such, but I doubt it will be anything iconic like the BAR or Tommy. I can live with it, whatever the studio says fits, will fit.

Edited by bodybagger2430

I doubt that they would do that, it adds a huge potential to screw up the game if they were referencing incorrect files. But to answer your question, yes, you can open the PBO file with some different programs (like PBO Manager, PBOview, etc.) and then just open the p3d files in a model viewer.

Also, some people will port models to Arma 3 and then spawn them in.

dayz-leaked-mp5k-unfinished-model-dayz-s

Clearly an MP5K, but it's missing the foregrip (so it'll probably have to be found) and the back of the model looks like it will be compatible with a PDW-styled folding stock.

The grip is probably missing because it's gonna be swappable with others, like the M4.  Might even get different stocks (folding, none, skeleton, standard, ect).  Heh, I'm kinda curious what would happen if they imported the fake AS50 into Arma3.

Well, consider how much fighting was on the Russian fronts in WW2, I think it is inevitable that some tommy guns and B.A.R.'s would be sent back to (now former) soviet states from some of those joint operations between American and Soviet forces. And if you go into Chernarus being the Czech republic, that just means that they were conscripted Nazis,  which GUARANTEES that they would have been fighting both Americans and Russians, so there were VERY likely war souvenirs.

Edit: but as I said, MP5 is probably the better choice for the SMG, we might see a few WW2 rifles and such, but I doubt it will be anything iconic like the BAR or Tommy. I can live with it, whatever the studio says fits, will fit.

Did they send over any Thompsons with Lend Lease to the Russians?  Also pretty sure they wouldn't have let any Axis soldiers keep their war souvenirs, much less a lead firehose like the Thompson.  Also while it's based loosely on the Czech Republic, it is it's own country with it's own history and lore.  I mean I'd LOVE to have a Thompson, either a M1928 or M1, hell I'd even take a civilian semi auto only version.

The grip is probably missing because it's gonna be swappable with others, like the M4.  Might even get different stocks (folding, none, skeleton, standard, ect).  Heh, I'm kinda curious what would happen if they imported the fake AS50 into Arma3.

Did they send over any Thompsons with Lend Lease to the Russians?  Also pretty sure they wouldn't have let any Axis soldiers keep their war souvenirs, much less a lead firehose like the Thompson.  Also while it's based loosely on the Czech Republic, it is it's own country with it's own history and lore.  I mean I'd LOVE to have a Thompson, either a M1928 or M1, hell I'd even take a civilian semi auto only version.

I'm not sure if they lend leased tommy's to the Russians, I don't think so, Stalin was too proud of his own work, and let's face it, for the time the mosin was a REALLY good weapon, so were the tanks, those things were BUILT. The Axis may not have been allowed to keep their weapons, but I can guarantee it still happened. As I said, the russians worked closely with American forces they didn't always like us, so I could see some weapons getting looted by soviets and sent home.

That said it DOESN'T fit that well. I would love to see it and there is some pretty decent logic to it but I just can't see it happening. Too high value of a weapon, too hard to acquire, and highly sought by collectors.

I'm not sure if they lend leased tommy's to the Russians, I don't think so, Stalin was too proud of his own work, and let's face it, for the time the mosin was a REALLY good weapon, so were the tanks, those things were BUILT. The Axis may not have been allowed to keep their weapons, but I can guarantee it still happened. As I said, the russians worked closely with American forces they didn't always like us, so I could see some weapons getting looted by soviets and sent home.

That said it DOESN'T fit that well. I would love to see it and there is some pretty decent logic to it but I just can't see it happening. Too high value of a weapon, too hard to acquire, and highly sought by collectors.

An M3 Greasegun, on the other hand, makes more sense. These things were much more widely used because they were cheaper, and saw use well after the war ended (even into 1991 with the US alone) whilst the Thompson really phased out after the Korean war (yes, it was used in Vietnam, but limitedly). It fits the scenario moreso than a Thompson does, that's for sure (At least, it feels more authentic.)

Of course, the best WW2 SMG they could have would be the PPSh-41, and followed afterwards by the MP-40 and M3.

All of the weapons you all have mentioned (including the MP5K, part of one of the most popular SMG platforms of all time) are available and/or employed widely in Eastern Europe. Debating which weapons "fit" the setting is sort of a futile exercise anyhow.

Here's a picture of a Thompson (or two) in the window of a Prague gun shop

IMG_2107.JPG

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2

All of the weapons you all have mentioned (including the MP5K, part of one of the most popular SMG platforms of all time) are available and/or employed widely in Eastern Europe. Debating which weapons "fit" the setting is sort of a futile exercise anyhow.

I see at least one, and what looks like an FN fal or another Tommy behind it. Is that a PKM? Scary that such things are easily available to people with little to no training, yet also a necessity in this world. Can't usually put two men in a room without one trying to be more important than the other. So there we have  evidence of some pretty deadly hardware in an average joe gunshop. I gotta admit, if Torchia really did all the research he says, our chance for a Thompson are actually pretty decent. And I agree the MP5 is a good fit, I just would prefer it were the standard A5 we always see, with a flashlight attachment for night time exploration. I would use that sucker in a heartbeat as a hero/medic (killing floor probably getting the better of my mentality). I think once things are more developed we will see things even out, with guns like the AK more widely used by raiders and the M4/MP5 used by true bandits (who hold people up then leave them alone) and heroes. And with some attachments I could see the blaze being a good sniper alternative to the mosin.

I hope to see more weapons along the line of STALKER for military and automatics. Stalker had a nice variety of weapons to use, and were really satisfying to use weapons like the L85A1, the AN94, the G36, the realism kinda just melted away for the sake of what was FUN to use. It had problems no doubt, but the zone was a living world with all kinds coming to it from around the world to make their names. That's something I feel that DayZ is trying to accomplish with the NATO and UN equipment being found, but we still have a way to go to develop such a feeling without actual NPC's to do show and tell. So right now they are incorporating weapons from such a world, without the full feel. Though hopefully the weapons will go a long way to creating that feel, we have the mass graves in balota and other areas, and that is going towards creating that feel, along with the UN helmets and US tac shirts, it just isn't finished yet. Just my 2 cents on the subject, although I kind went a bit off topic there toward the end.

I hope that entry for a thermal AS-50 was a late April Fool's joke. <_<

According to reddit is not

IMG_2107.JPG

weapons are pretty much global these times, so why bothering saying we wouldn't find an M4, M9 or Thompson on an eastern country? we have Ak-47 and SKSs here as well

• Like 1