srgntpepper

New Experimental?

They don't see fit to post them any more. It's that simple. Here is what I said in the announcements sub-forum:

So it seems Rocket indirectly addressed my concerns about the lack of patch notes and general communication WRT experimental:

because experimental updates can come at any time, with any frequency, we are not able to produce patch notes. Things can be removed from the build at a moments notice. Experimental updates are development snapshots, so to publish an accurate changelog we would have to manually prepare and check everything which is quite time consuming.

I'm sorry, but for months you managed to provide a changelog, and never needed to provided an accurate changelog. The changelog was always highlighting the most important changes and leaving out the minor stuff. What the devs don't seem to understand is that we don't know what we're supposed to test, would it kill them to post a brief note with the most important changes that could use feedback on the bug tracker?

Edit: I would have responded to him directly on Reddit but like many other people I don't have an account for or even use that site, just pointing this out because one of the major issues going on here is the complete fragmentation of information.

the currently ongoing lunar eclipse is apparently also visible ingame

This doesn't even make sense unless the game takes place in North or South America.  :huh: Edited by DarkwaveDomina

Ok, my testing finds:

Pro's

Performance is amazing.. fluid, smooth, no lag. 40/40 server

Zeds are much more difficult to melee kill.. take more damage

Mouse movement is fluid and responsive

The game seems to look better to me.. ???

Throwing physics works well.. 

Night cycle is back

Footstep sounds seem better in some cases

Not once did I rubberband and I sprinted out of each and every building.. would have been RBing about 9/10 times before doing that

Con's

Day/Night cycle changing every hour

Sounds are better in some cases, but not existent in others.. surfaces, player actions, etc.

Eating is a bit bugged.. sounds dont play out, animation, etc. when eat all is selected

Still have invisible tuna cans in inventory.. minor issue

Other notes:

Zeds do not seem to spawn off of gunshots, at least away from towns, any longer.. fired 2 shots out in field, zero fucks given

FPS seemed slightly lower.. not much, but about 2-4 frames in towns. But the game did look better to me.. not sure why, just me or if it really has improved

My coffee got too cold, far too fast. It was too fast, too furious on the cooling down factor. Coffee needs a buff. ;)

• Like 2

In case anyone is not able to get online, but want to see the physics in action, I made a quick video :

http://youtu.be/9dJhmYkxmck

It s quiet obvious. You can only throw items hold in one hand. There ´s no animation to throw with two hands or to hold a pitchfork for example like a spear.

Edited by Wilberfoss

Did somebody find AKM?

Not added. minor patch with zero new inventory content

Ok, my testing finds:

Pro's

Performance is amazing.. fluid, smooth, no lag. 40/40 server

Zeds are much more difficult to melee kill.. take more damage

Mouse movement is fluid and responsive

The game seems to look better to me.. ???

Throwing physics works well.. 

Night cycle is back

Footstep sounds seem better in some cases

Not once did I rubberband and I sprinted out of each and every building.. would have been RBing about 9/10 times before doing that

Con's

Day/Night cycle changing every hour

Sounds are better in some cases, but not existent in others.. surfaces, player actions, etc.

Eating is a bit bugged.. sounds dont play out, animation, etc. when eat all is selected

Still have invisible tuna cans in inventory.. minor issue

Other notes:

Zeds do not seem to spawn off of gunshots, at least away from towns, any longer.. fired 2 shots out in field, zero fucks given

FPS seemed slightly lower.. not much, but about 2-4 frames in towns. But the game did look better to me.. not sure why, just me or if it really has improved

My coffee got too cold, far too fast. It was too fast, too furious on the cooling down factor. Coffee needs a buff. ;)

Night cycle never left, and the reason day goes so fast is because of accelerated time, a feature they are testing and its configurable for individual servers.

Does anyone else feel like 60% of the game is in total darkness btw? i just played a bunch and ofc i felt like they days went too quick, but it seems to get dark really early in the afternoon and stay dark for so long COMPARED to daytime.

Night cycle never left

NIght cycle was bugged out of the game for the past several weeks.. why do you think I would take the time to say that if it wasnt?

Also I am quite aware of the accelerated time..  :|

Edited by lrish

It s quiet obvious. You can only throw items hold in one hand. There ´s no animation to throw with two hands or to hold a pitchfork for example like a spear.

You're hope to be able to throw things like the torch though.... one or two hands shouldn't make any difference (but obviously it does).

Edited by Raebuluz

I just played on experimental for a while, and here are my thoughts.

Pros:

• I didn't have any rubber-banding. I could switch weapons, open doors, and vault over things just fine too.
  • The mouse movement is a million times better now, I didn't try it with a gun but with fists and melee weapons it's fine.
  • Footsteps sound quieter now, and they seem to have fixed the "single foot" running sound with a melee weapon out.

Cons:

• My framerate is worse and more inconsistent outside towns (where it's consistently poor), GPU utilisation is even more broken.
  • The new breathing sound effects (at least for the female player model) are awful. Too loud, and sound like they were recorded on a phone.
  • Zombies seem to be even more broken, I killed one and had three teleport on top of me. Doing damage to them was inconsistent.
  • Random sounds are even worse now, 100% of the time I was hearing zombies or cans opening/drinking. 100% of the damn time.

Whatever:

• It should be a pro, but I can't "cheat" with gamma any more. I guess they fixed it, but since they have not made night playable yet I don't care for it and imagine most servers will not use it. I certainly won't be using servers that have accelerated time or 24/7 night mode enabled. This is a shame because I really miss it from the mod.
Edited by DarkwaveDomina

I just played on experimental for a while, and here are my thoughts.

Whatever:

• It should be a pro, but I can't "cheat" with gamma any more. I guess they fixed it, but since they have not made night playable yet I don't care for it and imagine most servers will not use it. I certainly won't be using servers that have accelerated time or 24/7 night mode enabled. This is a shame because I really miss it from the mod.

I just tested the gamma and I could see.... this makes me sad :(

Military tents have loot again...  B)

It's on stable already

I just tested the gamma and I could see.... this makes me sad :(

It must be something to do with cloud conditions and stuff, I couldn't see anything at all but distant half-loaded treelines and such, even when turning clouds off. Which is what I hope for, but only when they make night worth playing (flares, glowsticks, a hotkey for weapon flashlights, eyes actually adjusting a little bit to the dark, etc. just like the mod).

Edited by DarkwaveDomina

It must be something to do with cloud conditions and stuff, I couldn't see anything at all. Which is what I hope for, but only when they make night worth playing (flares, glowsticks, eyes actually adjusting a little bit to the dark, etc. just like the mod).

Well the coloring was different,  Instead of being just black and white, everything was purple.  If I can get back onto an experimental I'll record a video to show you.

Well the coloring was different,  Instead of being just black and white, everything was purple.  If I can get back onto an experimental I'll record a video to show you.

I believe you, I just think something has changed that makes it really dark on my PC. It used to be that I could see with gamma up and one of my friends couldn't, but now it seems he can and I can't. I think it's probably something to do with the changes they're making to HDR and stuff.

One thing that struck me just now is you're using AMD graphics, so is my friend who can now use gamma. I'm using Nvidia.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina

Works well so far, I'll get into throw-testing soon. I have to say that the "new" breathing (don't know if that's for female players only) is quite annoying, unnerving and overly dramatic.

I zoom in to check what's going on in the street for a few seconds, and my char breathes once or twice like it really was a huge task to zoom in like that. So a little over done, very loud.

Other than that I had quietly hoped that maybe some of the audio bugs may have been taken care of, doesn't seem to be the case. Meh.

Couple times I rubberbanded but performance is nice. Need to adjust to the "new" mouse settings, but in general very nice :-)

• Like 4

Works well so far, I'll get into throw-testing soon. I have to say that the "new" breathing (don't know if that's for female players only) is quite annoying, unnerving and overly dramatic.

I really can't agree enough, I mentioned this too. To me it also sounds much lower quality, like a 64kbps MP3 or like it was recorded on a smartphone.

Went pitch black (almost to night time levels) for me during early evening when the sun went behind a cloud for like 30 seconds.

I'm starting to suspect the devs have never been outside as it would be obvious to anyone who has that this is unrealistic. :rolleyes:

I drank 12 cans of fizzy drinks back to back and they didn't seem to give any hydration what so ever too, I suspect someone broke something although how I don't know.

Frame rates are less stable than before and I crawled down to around 5 at the ship before DayZ crashed entirely, so I suspect a memory leak is also knocking around there somewhere.

Edit, just to confirm: Gamma sliders still work fine at night on AMD, but don't do much to solve the sun going behind a cloud... which is interesting in and of itself, because in DayZ torch light penetrates solid walls but the sun can't project light through clouds. :D

Edited by TheScruffyBandit

The moon needs to be out for you to see at night. If you couldn't see at night then the moon was not out, thats how its worked for ages.

The moon needs to be out for you to see at night. If you couldn't see at night then the moon was not out, thats how its worked for ages.

and during the day when some water vapor happens to come between you and the sun? :lol: Don't mind me, I'm just going to run to the shops, it's kind of cloudy outside, so I'll grab my torch.

Edited by TheScruffyBandit

and during the day when some water vapor happens to come between you and the sun? :lol: Don't mind me, I'm just going to run to the shops, it's kind of cloudy outside, so I'll grab my torch.

What I see out of that is poorly done glare effect.  It's almost like you are temporarily blinded until your eyes adjust.  I don't see it getting very dark, just bad bloom.

What I see out of that is poorly done glare effect.  It's almost like you are temporarily blinded until your eyes adjust.  I don't see it getting very dark, just bad bloom.

Went nearly pitch black on my screen, but we're not posting from the exact same system so can't say for sure we're not seeing slightly different instances of the same issue.