zombieland78

First experiences of the mod

I thought I'd test the water with the mod version of DayZ. Played standard, Epoch and a bit of Origins.

If I'm being brutally honest, and not trying to add too much dramatic emphasis, I'd have to say it was one of the worst gaming experiences I've had.

Spent about 6 hours in total. 98% of that was jogging.

During that time I met two people. TWO. Neither responded to my chat, seconds before slaying me.

Gave up trying to kill zombies when I realised it was practically unrealistic, using a hand gun or an axe - I never found anything better.

Gave up trying to close the door behind me because zombies can just pass through them. A not funny joke that ALL versions seem to share.

So if you're in a position of bleeding, unable to heal yourself while being chased and unable to defend yourself, running around a forest with a map but no bearing - time and time again, it renders the exercise futile.

I can't see me playing again. Which is a damn shame because it looked like fun on the various youtube channels. If the above issues were ironed out it might be ok.

Only redeeming thing is that I was genuinely terrified. Felt like I was gonna puke with fear. So not all bad. Maybe standalone will be better. 

I went back to playing it (vanilla) these last few days, it is the same as I remember it. I like the Winchester and CZ combo. I tend to die a lot. Fun.

Right Clicking when holding shift places a marker

Dayz mod is better in my opinion, haven't player dayz SA in like 2 months. 

• Like 2

I thought I'd test the water with the mod version of DayZ. Played standard, Epoch and a bit of Origins.

If I'm being brutally honest, and not trying to add too much dramatic emphasis, I'd have to say it was one of the worst gaming experiences I've had.

During that time I met two people. TWO. Neither responded to my chat, seconds before slaying me.

Gave up trying to kill zombies when I realised it was practically unrealistic, using a hand gun or an axe - I never found anything better.

Gave up trying to close the door behind me because zombies can just pass through them. A not funny joke that ALL versions seem to share.

So if you're in a position of bleeding, unable to heal yourself while being chased and unable to defend yourself, running around a forest with a map but no bearing - time and time again, it renders the exercise futile.

I can't see me playing again. Which is a damn shame because it looked like fun on the various youtube channels. If the above issues were ironed out it might be ok.

Only redeeming thing is that I was genuinely terrified. Felt like I was gonna puke with fear. So not all bad. Maybe standalone will be better. 

Hatchet is the best weapon for melee imo, can't get any better since it's dual purpose. SA is the same gameplay except then those two you have met would have force fed you shit and all before killing you and of course it still lacks content.

Hatchet is the best weapon for melee imo, can't get any better since it's dual purpose. SA is the same gameplay except then those two you have met would have force fed you shit and all before killing you and of course it still lacks content.

lol.

And yes, I was genuinely terrified of the zombies in the mod. At one stage, running around in the dark, my shadow cast against some passing foliage. Shit my pants.

We started on the standalone, went to the mod because the SA is a void and progressing at a snails pace while other alpha games of the exact same genre leave them completely in the dirt. Best thing we ever did, we got our own server, we build, chop wood, hunt, salvage, loot, sell, pillage, fish, we fix up cars in our own garage go sell them, its our own world in a zombie apocalypse, just what we wanted, and we probably wont even put the standalone back on besides to look at anything added to the stable ( so we sure aren't holding our breaths inbetween) then back off again to the mod. 

• Like 1

We started on the standalone, went to the mod because the SA is a void and progressing at a snails pace while other alpha games of the exact same genre leave them completely in the dirt. Best thing we ever did, we got our own server, we build, chop wood, hunt, salvage, loot, sell, pillage, fish, we fix up cars in our own garage go sell them, its our own world in a zombie apocalypse, just what we wanted, and we probably wont even put the standalone back on besides to look at anything added to the stable ( so we sure aren't holding our breaths inbetween) then back off again to the mod. 

Sounds interesting. What version of the mod is it? Sounds like Origins.

But, the key questions are: do zombies still walk through doors in that version? and is killing them any less rediculous and haphazard?

Sounds interesting. What version of the mod is it? Sounds like Origins.

But, the key questions are: do zombies still walk through doors in that version? and is killing them any less rediculous and haphazard?

Its Epoch that we play, the zombies dont walk through walls, but we modded them to be walkers instead (because we wanted zombies not infected). As charging around infected you dont get much chance to do anything at all and they are hard to kill without a shotgun loaded with pellet rounds. But yeah the infected in the SA are a total joke, bullets acknowledge there is a wall, however the infected don't even have collision. 

Sounds like the perfect game.

Epoch and a bit of Origins.

If you want to judge the DayZ Mod you should play neither of those.

• Like 1

Hmm, I don't really recall the Epoch mod being much different in those respects. I'll try it again and see if the zombies are more sensible.

If you want to judge the DayZ Mod you should play neither of those.

Do tell, I'm intrigued. 

Do tell, I'm intrigued. 

Most of the people that came from the mod (including myself) prefer the harder variants, such as MustyZ or Despair. Give it a try - Epoch is generally seen as the "easy-mode" and can't really be described as what DayZ originally stood for. (Being able to buy infinite amounts of cars? Come on!)

Yes, I did include shameless advertising for my own mod. Deal with it.

• Like 1

Most of the people that came from the mod (including myself) prefer the harder variants, such as MustyZ or Despair. Give it a try - Epoch is generally seen as the "easy-mode" and can't really be described as what DayZ originally stood for. (Being able to buy infinite amounts of cars? Come on!)

Yes, I did include shameless advertising for my own mod. Deal with it.

lol, easy! that's my whole point, it was prohibitively difficult due to bad programming. (see zombie collision and inability to deal with them, especially when starting out). I don't think I need to play a harder version.

plus, no friendly folk seem to play. And it feels like I could play for days and never see another soul. Better to get a few mates together from the get go, then you could deal with zombies better and at least have some company. 

and again, total lack of 'you are here' function in the map means running for hours through forests, wondering if you've left the map.

and again, total lack of 'you are here' function in the map means running for hours through forests, wondering if you've left the map.

It's great, isn't it? :)

Well, about the Zombies: they have been improved vastly over different versions and are definitely better than the SA zombies, I don't think on Epoch they are, but on 1.8.0.3 they should be better and on MustyZ they definitely are.

I'll give those a try then.

But I just pulled up Epoch and straight off, zombie legged it towards me, zig-zagged, then I was shooting by aiming straight at its head and every shot hit his shoulders, took about 5 shots to die.

So Mr Sinister, does that sound in keeping with what you were saying or am I playing a different version of the Epoch mod?

Edit: another example. Go into a house, zombies in pursuit. Trying to open the first door after the main front door but I think all that's happening is that the door behind me is opening and closing. Meanwhile a few zombies pile in, I turn around and empty a mag into one, it does nothing. Now I have no weapons and die.

But, the 'deploy bicycle' is ace.

Edited by zombieland78

It takes time to adapt to the game, especially the zombies. I notice that whenever I introduce a real life friend to play DayZ with our group, they are constantly worried about 'a zombie' as if its a threat. They aren't really, only in some situations. There's ways to deal with them.

First off, make every shot you fire count. That is, only go for headshots. They will kill every zombie 100% garanteed, no matter what weapon you use. So if you have a pistol with 3 mags of ammo, you can basically kill 20 zombies. You can stand in bushes and pine tree branches, those make you invincible to zombies as they can't hit you whilst you're in those leaves. If you then wait a while, the zombies will wander off. Also, zombies can't directly chase you into buildings as they will 'lose you' and stop running. Entering and then leaving a building that has multiple exits can save you from a horde of zombies following you. However, to make this work, you gotta know what buildings to look for. This takes time. Knowing when to shoot and when not to is another important aspect. Sometimes it's better to run than to shoot that one zombie thats creeping up to you as it will most likely attract 10 others.

Once you're past the 'zombies are scary and difficult' stage, you can focus on other goals and a whole new world opens. DayZ, to me anyway, has never been about the zombies. It's the players that make it interesting. You said you've only had about 2 encounters in 6 hours, which is too bad. But when those encounters happen, I find that it makes it a special event simply because they are so rare. I've logged over 1000 hours in DayZ mod and still get that adrenaline rush every time I spot a player. Theres ways to provoke confrontations with other players, especially once you find out where a player typically goes, what the hotspots are.

I'd recommend you to give this map a try when you play: http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarus It shows all towns and lootable buildings, how they look (once you click the colored dots) and what you can find there. The game typically shows your location when you log in, some servers even show your current location in the HUD in realtime, making it easier to navigate once you have found a compass.  

I can't determine what DayZ is for you or anyone else. I just want to stress that it can take some time to get used to some of the (perhaps annoying?) aspects of the game as it can be really unforgiving. Maybe after a while you will appreciate the game for what it is :).

• Like 2

Go in a building... Zeds can't run inside of them. then boom headshot! I play Epoch and love it. the server I play on limits the amount of vehicles you can have at your base and the base size so you don't have people with crazy amounts of stuff. You really just have to play a lot of different server until you find one you like.

Thanks a lot for the info Salva. That shit saved my ass! I had been running for a few thousand meters from a zombie, each of us running at about the same pace and I had no confidence in my shooting abilities (besides, each time I'd turn to fire it would zig zag) so I thought... hmmm, run into some branches eh, surely not. But I had no choice - I went into the branches of a pine tree and sure enough, it couldn't get me! so I carefully aimed at the head and down it went.

Still not totally sure what people are saying about zombies and buildings. Are we saying they can go in but just can't 'run' in? I was in the north east air field today and, dammit, all I have is this big ol' loud shot gun. So I go into this little barracks and I'm follow in, struggling to close the door and a zombie gets me, so I turn around and fire, then close the door. Then bam -  10 zombies somehow end up getting through the door (it's now open - shurg) and I have no choice but to take out each one. 

But they did walk and not run. So if we're saying they can't run in buildings and then that's a good way to lose them, then that makes sense. But I wish they could stay out of them. Currently my character is desperate for food and is loitering around the aforementioned airfield, trying to run around, Benny Hill style, with a queue of zombies behind while trying to loot. Really frustrating. Not so much as a can of beans. Guess I could do with finding a quieter weapon but again, my problem is - stuff is in buildings, zombies surround buildings, can't realistically take zombies out.

So yeah, currently exploring Chernarus. Thanks for the suggestion. Is there any method to finding friendlies? or do they pretty much not exist in the mod? I know you mentioned finding places where people gather but that to me sounds more like, places where people gather to snipe each other.

Yes they walk not run in buildings. I never bother closing doors. Traders in Epoch usually are "safe zones" where you can't shoot eachother. some often a good spot to chat. It also depends o the servers for loot. Some have loot spawns up higher than others. if you can get enough humanity for a hero trader, I find the MK17 CCO SD is my favorite gun. Silenced Scar with a red dot.

Edited by escobert

yeah, I went to the hero camp for the first time today. Said I didn't have enough humanity. Is there a link somewhere to how all that works? 

Yeah, basically zombies can't run into buildings. What I meant was, say you enter a firestation with 5 zombies chasing you and exit the building via another door (the back door) then those zombies will most likely still be walking inside that building while you will be outside running, long gone for those zombies to find you again. That doesn't work for barracks though, since those only have one entrance..

Finding friendlies, thats a tough one. I find that it depends alot on community of the server you play on. Most Epoch servers have groups of people working together via sidechat, people giving lifts from the south to the main traders (Stary Sobor, Klen and Bash, these locations have god mode) and whatnot.

If you feel like trying another server, perhaps give UK 431 NoobsPlayground #4 - Epoch a go. Community is somewhat friendly, and although the server is kinda laggy at the moment I heard the admins are working on it.

For specifics on Epoch try this: http://dayzepoch.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Edited by Salva

yeah, I went to the hero camp for the first time today. Said I didn't have enough humanity. Is there a link somewhere to how all that works?

Basically, you get +for killing AI bandits, zeds and healing people. -for killing players. The amounts depend upon the server. 12-15k is usual it seems for the Hero trader.

I STRONGLY recommend you find someone one the forums to play with. The first few weeks of playing Dayz was HORRIBLE for me because I felt alone and had no idea what I was doing. I say find someone with just basic information, get on skype and just talk and learn together. Dayz is a game about the players, not the zombies. If you find someone you like and you can count on no matter what it makes the game a whole different story. Thats my advice, if you have any questions feel free to message me!

Ah, thanks for the info guys. Useful to know.

Cheers Nimz, I will definitely be bugging you for info. I did think that would be a necessary step actually but y'know, no one wants to hang out with the noob. :p