SmashT

A very busy couple of weeks for the whole team has just ended....

Woot woot !! Can't wait for this update and if worst comes to worst well only be waiting another 2 weeks max I'm guessing (hopefully less obviously :0)

Yeah that new village is already up there. There really isn't much as far as loot buildings right now and for some reason the frames are terrible. Could be the start of something bigger though?

Many of those buildings seemed to be half-buried into the sloping landscape, IIRC.

Many of those buildings seemed to be half-buried into the sloping landscape, IIRC.

could have been a mud slide :-P

Probably they first add buildings and then fix terrain, Chernaya Polana had similar issue when it was in making.

I noticed that the big brick industrial building has been updated to be enter-able, is the plan to be that all buildings are eventually enterable?

Update on new town: Just ran there on the new EXP build and it seems to be the same for now.

• Like 1

Any update on a concrete release for the next patch for stable?

• Like 1

Probably they first add buildings and then fix terrain, Chernaya Polana had similar issue when it was in making.

Totally right. I was just in the new town and the ground is cutting through the buildings. They'll have it fixed soon no doubt.

So we are near the end of april... - Dean Hall & Co promised us many new contend in latest blog.

He said, at the end of april, as I remember...

Many features were mentioned... like:

"camp-fire / cooking"

" loot respawn"

"persistent objects"

etc..

So what do you think? Will we receive this update at the end of april?

I remember also, that a new dev-blog was promised around PAX... > still waiting..

OK - they are busy ? ... like always :D... and its done, when its done..

Edited by TiMEDANCE

Eh, I'd suggest you take their update 'schedule' with not a pinch of salt, but a pint-mug with the bottom broken and duct-taped to another pint-mug worth of salt. If it comes, yay! If not, oh well. 

there's a reason game devs don't like setting deadlines, and why publishers demand these deadlines to be met and why there are things like crunch-time in game development.

It's because programming and designing are two different things and not everything goes the way you want, changing the way the server handles load can increase performance for 10 people on a server but when you're adding 30 more it suddenly because a massive lagfest is an example of this.

What works perfectly in a development environment may never properly work in the live build etc...

So don't take set dates or promises as true statements, especially in something as complex as game design.

• Like 1

Things will come when they come.

What I take umbrage with is the usage of the word "fireplace" for camp fire rings.

It's weird.

So don't take set dates or promises as true statements, especially in something as complex as game design.

I get what you are saying but that isn't a good excuse. This is why it is so important for a project lead to make sure accurate deadlines are set by his team. Occasionally people will miss targets but when you find yourself continually pushing deadlines then there is something wrong with your workflow.

• Like 1

for me personally, I stoped playing dayz-sa for 2 reasons.

1. no tents/ or such "storage thing"

2. no loot respawn

I have a big backbag with all stuff I need... - so I can only go for death-match.

People also do server-hopping for the main-reason "loot" - this is shit.

I also will have the chance to hide rare loot somewhere in bushes or etc. - doing a nice little camp or something in that way...

(a litte off-topic, but anyway...)

you saw walking dead s04e16? Rick hides his backbag with weapons in the forest, before they went into terminus.

So, it would be also nice in dayZ, to do this, before entering a town or such hot area...

I hope we get a nice update soon, so players can find their "home-server" for playing all the time...

Edited by TiMEDANCE
  • Like 5

I get what you are saying but that isn't a good excuse. This is why it is so important for a project lead to make sure accurate deadlines are set by his team. Occasionally people will miss targets but when you find yourself continually pushing deadlines then there is something wrong with your workflow.

Not 100% sure but Dean himself said that the way they set deadlines and the way they have their workflow spread out isn't top notch and requires some work, setting deadlines is pretty much guesswork especially when you're adding large groups of people to the team. It's still early alpha, give it some time, they'll manage to get out some decent maintainable deadlines.

This kind-off remind of the devs at wolfire, they made a patch and video explaining all the work they did -every- week until they figured out it was pushing them to do small changes just for the sake of bringing a patch every week. In the end they could never address the large underlining issues they needed to because it would take months. So they changed now they sporadically bring out a patch (still with video) and these patches have gotten a lot better. While a loved looking forward to what they could produce every week the latter approach was far better on the long run.

The same goes here, you can set a deadline for a patch every 2 weeks and try and push yourselves and co-workers to deliver on those deadlines it doesn't mean it's going to be good, corners will be cut and bugs will arise. Sure you'll get your content on the promised day but whether it'll be enjoyable is something else entirely.

Setting deadlines on "producing x-amount of proper working code" is just nigh impossible and is the reason why many AAA-titles are brought to the market super-buggy and seemingly unfinished (I'm looking at you bf4 adn RTW2), it's not a factory with a set production line, these people are writing things from scratch.

snip

Loot respawn is scheduled for this or next week.

Edited by DedicateDdos

Loot respawn is scheduled for this or next week.

YAY, scheduled for internal testing.

Edited by Guest

YAY, scheduled for internal testing.

Beans for your sig, broski.

Also, I imagined them being tiny mexicans for some reason. Racist as it may sound, seeing six sanbreros bobbing from side to side at a hyper-fast sprint pace was far too amusing for my brain to pass off :B

So we are near the end of april... - Dean Hall & Co promised us many new contend in latest blog.

He said, at the end of april, as I remember...

Stick to the existing topic, please. Merging

Loot re-spawn might be a good thing, but it has a tendency to make servers laggy, I would rather keep to the idea of having lootable zombies. Though that has its own issues as well, but I think it all comes down to server hopping, if loot re-spawn and lootable zombies are something that people are hoping will curb the appeal of server hopping, then maybe just addressing said issue would be a better approach. Some kind of penalty for jumping on too many servers within a given time span maybe. 

Is this new town right here?

BK9DNmv.jpg

If so.. That's sad that you add new towns and villages only at north-east. I would like to see new big town on the north-west. Where is too much empty areas.

It's quite obvious that they are working from east to west, they already have the roads and now they are adding in the villages east to west, patience and it will come.