A_6_year_old

Sooo about that side chat?

Oh hell no.  Make Walkies hard to find.  i don't need to be hearing some screechy kids voice on the radio. 

The point of the walkie talkies is so that one can choose whether or not to communicate with someone. You don't want to hear screechy kids? Turn to a different frequency, or shut it off altogether. And plus, we'll still have to keep the batteries charged.

I don't think they should be overly difficult to come across.

Walkie talkies are slightly less common than excrement from a rockinghorse.

The point of the walkie talkies is so that one can choose whether or not to communicate with someone. You don't want to hear screechy kids? Turn to a different frequency, or shut it off altogether. And plus, we'll still have to keep the batteries charged.

I don't think they should be overly difficult to come across.

The point is people will abuse the different channels as they can tune in to any channel themselves.   This was the whole reason they got rid of sidechat

The point is people will abuse the different channels as they can tune in to any channel themselves.   This was the whole reason they got rid of sidechat

Again, if you're hearing something that you don't like, switch to another channel. There are plenty of frequencies to choose from.

And that's also an interesting aspect made clear by Rocket many moons ago, radio comms aren't secure, other people can hear you.

Make them more common then?

Don't tell me that, tell Dean and the community but I think you'll have trouble doing both of them things :)

Again, if you're hearing something that you don't like, switch to another channel. There are plenty of frequencies to choose from.

And that's also an interesting aspect made clear by Rocket many moons ago, radio comms aren't secure, other people can hear you.

And they should be hard to find.  Not everyone should be rolling around with radios, defeats the purpose of removing side chat  :rolleyes:

Just to clarify, I am not saying you are wrong as you are entitled to your own opinion as am I.  I personally feel if made radios common it would just turn into a cluster fuck of yapping on the servers.

Edited by Caboose187
  • Like 1

And they should be hard to find.  Not everyone should be rolling around with radios, defeats the purpose of removing side chat  :rolleyes:

I mean, they should be looted objects in the sense that you don't have them on spawn. I don't think they should be overly rare.

Making them hard to find makes their use niche and therefore unattractive versus competitive third-party programs (which are a problem unto themselves).

Many items were fairly common in the mod, yet not everyone ran around with them.

Likewise, I suspect there'll be a fixed range for walkies, so it's not like you'll be hearing everyone at once. Plus, you'll have to find a battery for them as well... which ostensibly will run out. Three separate hindrances to using walkies.

Edited by Katana67

I mean, they should be looted objects in the sense that you don't have them on spawn. I don't think they should be overly rare.

Making them hard to find makes their use niche and therefore unattractive versus competitive third-party programs (which are a problem unto themselves).

Many items were fairly common in the mod, yet not everyone ran around with them.

Likewise, I suspect there'll be a fixed range for walkies, so it's not like you'll be hearing everyone at once. Plus, you'll have to find a battery for them as well... which ostensibly will run out. Three separate hindrances to using walkies.

Oh I agree.  I also hope they'll add different types of radios that have different ranges as well but making th lang range ones much less common

• Like 1

Walkie talkies are never going to be a viable loot or communication device. They are a wasted slot and easily substituted by a server team speak and text chat. Some people don't like the text or voice side chats and they had the option to turn it off in the mod. I say make it an option to turn it on since this is a damn game and some people like it. If you truly dislike it for immersion then by all means do not activate it and do not worry. I see it coming back through private hives or by mods. This is a game at the end of the day and this game benefits from any communication even the side chat bullshit we used to have. As for walkie talkies I would only pick it up if it could play music but since we havn't heard about radio stations in a while I again consider this loot as garbage that has little use other than staging ambushes/messing with people. 

This is PC gaming side chats and channels are standard.

Edited by Canned Muffins

I liked sidechat. Was entertaining on those long lonely NWAF loot runs. 

Nothing quite like starting a flamewar in DayZ and reading people rage at each other while getting some sweet lewts.

Fun times. Saved my ass a few times too, able to call out my other friends playin' when I was rollin' with someone else.

I hate side chat. Glad it's gone. It's fine in ARMA where you have, you know... sides... but I played the mod recently and it was annoying and immersion-breaking. Nothing says "this is a game" more than blue text repeatedly asking "any snipers in Elektro?"

Side chat has a tendency to be stupid as well

QUL2ilo.png

That is part of the charm and appeal the stupidity sometimes is hilarious.

I hate side chat. Glad it's gone. It's fine in ARMA where you have, you know... sides... but I played the mod recently and it was annoying and immersion-breaking. Nothing says "this is a game" more than blue text repeatedly asking "any snipers in Elektro?"

Side chat has a tendency to be stupid as well

QUL2ilo.png

And miss these excellent discussions with the educated and qualified DayZ player base? No way, we definitely need "Who's shooting in Cherno?" messages.

Edited by teapot

One big benefit to a side chat atleast in the alpha is it lets the server discuss game breaking bugs, and other misshaps.

Server wide communication could also let them try to recreate bugs and find more of them.

I want walkietalkies to work.

And a general public frequency wheere everyone can join and talk to each other.

Would be kind of cool and make lone wolves like me feel a bit less lonely at times when I'm running in a forest or trough a field.

That's up to the players to decide what channel becomes that frequency. I have mine turned onto the default channel almost all the time. Just not enough people are picking them up and listening to my hails.

When people start catching on to change and modifying the way they behave to match the standalone these things will be used frequently.

It was in the release and it was removed on purpose and I don't think it will come back. It's not confrom with what DayZ is supposed to be. There are Walkie-Talkies and that's as far as it goes with longrange communication.

This, side chat is so childish and i am so glad it is not in this game, at least with direct chat i can choose what i listen to or what i do not. All the videos i see of the mod are filled with stupid stuff on sidechat.

Edit : And to prove my point the person who started this post is called a six year old

Edited by anothercynicalbrit

Walkie Talkies are basically the new side chat.

The reason they changed it is immersion.

How would you be talking to all these people in reality?

The same way I'd die from starvation after 6 hours without food.

This and side chat was what turned this game into Call of Duty, people shooting people until the message appeared, and then people insulting people through side chat for killing them.

I personally think adding helicopters and vehicles is turning this game into another war game