Sign in to follow this  
Katana67

Should DayZ Be In The Armaverse?

ah ok - another gun thread..

This is actually an older thread that someone decided to revive. But yes, people like their guns. They're a fundamental part of DayZ. Even if the devs have some odd plan for us all to be cavemen beating eachother down with clubs and bows, the guns will still be in the game. There's no harm in having more guns, it just increases the variety of weaponry.

Besides, it gives people something to talk about, and it's not like the people making or discussing in these threads would all be coming up with brilliant, 5 star ideas otherwise.

This is actually an older thread that someone decided to revive. But yes, people like their guns. They're a fundamental part of DayZ. Even if the devs have some odd plan for us all to be cavemen beating eachother down with clubs and bows, the guns will still be in the game. There's no harm in having more guns, it just increases the variety of weaponry.

Besides, it gives people something to talk about, and it's not like the people making or discussing in these threads would all be coming up with brilliant, 5 star ideas otherwise.

And even then, it wasn't a gun thread. The thread was originally designed to discuss whether or not DayZ should be in the same universe as the ARMA series. The discussion turned to firearms, because the universe frames/explains the items in-game.

While I agree with everything being said, I still have one question...

Whose down with more CDF gear? The sweet ass autumn TTSKO from A2, the flak jackets, the modular US chest rigs from Vietnam, the helmet with radio headset..so much more cool stuff we don't have. The CDF are fucking sweet.

Definitely, although I think we've got some of that already (i.e. ALICE-esque vests, flak jackets, and TTSkO [in two varieties, at least with boonies]).

I'd like to see some more of the clothing worn by the NAPA guerillas, like Flecktarn and the like.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

I think it takes place AFTER Arma II.. then again I don't know much - if anything - about the Armaverse, but I do know that Arma II and DayZ are both in Chernarus, and that says to me that DayZ is in the Arma II universe. I did see some rubbish bags marked as 'radioactive' in Cherno, did Arma II have an issue with radioactivity?

Here is a picture of said bags:

Toxicwaste.jpg?version=539eda94a778a6fe2
Edited by Zachy/RippahZach

Note that those bags in the above post do not mean "radioactivity". Instead, the have the symbol for "biohazard".

999-20001P1.jpg

This usually means medical waste, or, in the case of the game, human body wastes/parts/what-have-you that are infected with the "disease".

Edited by Whyherro123
  • Like 1

I've often wondered whether or not DayZ is, or should be, a part of the Armaverse (i.e. the same fictional universe in which the ARMA series takes place).

To me, it's essential to create a coherent universe for DayZ to exist in. Obviously, DayZ is much more about "the players telling the story" than ARMA. But it's still a fiction which requires context.

Personally, I think DayZ should be integrated into the Armaverse. And I think it already is, solely by being set in Chernarus (vice anywhere else).

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that because of my desire for DayZ to be in the Armaverse, that it should have the same objectives as the ARMA series. Not at all. This is solely about the fictional universe in which the games occur.

But, I don't think we've had a firm "yes" or "no" by the developers. So I think some basic information regarding lore is in order in relation to DayZ (and no, don't post the BIS ARMA II Chernarus lore, we know what it is, that's not the topic of discussion here). Such as whether or not DayZ is a part of the Armaverse. And what year DayZ takes place in (assumedly, if in the Armaverse, sometime after 2009).

What are your thoughts?

Any relation to arma should be avoided since it would only remind me of that bugged piece of crap they called a game

Edited by robophant

Any relation to arma should be avoided since it would only remind me of that bugged piece of crap they called a game

'Tis a shame, because it takes place on the very map that was the core of that "bugged piece of crap they called a game."

Not that I agree with your opinion to begin with, but if ArmA is so bad, what the hell do you think of DayZ? I love the game but it's at least 100x more buggy than vanilla ArmA 2.

One thing is for certain though.

Dayz needs a backstory and origin quick.

OK here it is.

It all started when the hit show Sanford and son was released in chenarus. It became popular so quickly that the citizens of chenarus became obsessed with making their country look like a junkyard. They spent so much time spreading their crappy loot around that they quit paying attention to their children. Their children, being normal unsupervised teenagers, started smearing their poop on every building they could. Soon the poopsmearing hit epic proportions, and mutated a nasty tetanus virus that had been spreading due to the countries fred Sanford decor, and created the crazy infected cannibals.

What I am actually more curious about is when is dayz set ?

Is it current day or is it somewhere in the 1990s ?

I suspect it's meant to be 2017 based on the clothing that's available and some of the artifact dates mentioned by daemon above.

There's a broad mix of farmer and contemporary fashions in modern day European countries that are struggling.

I tend to think of DayZ being set either just after Arma 2 (in an alternate universe) or in an alternate version of Arma 2 where there are things like Chedaki rebels and Russian and US intervention but the outbreak hits before everything can kick off. That being a possibility, it might be he case that DayZ is happening at the exact same time as the Arma 2 campaign. That would explain away inconsistencies between DayZ Chernarus and Arma 2 Chernarus as far as lore is concerned. 

For me the biggest drawback with SA is that it takes place in the same area as the mod. I have played hundreds upon hundreds of hours, looted, seen, been to almost every place so many times it isn't interesting anymore, the entire point of exploration is completely gone. It doesn't matter if they added a couple of new villages or buildings, it's still the exact same place, with the exact same look, with 95% of the same features. I don't get how people are so obsessed with this map unless you didn't play the mod and jumped straight on SA. This bundled with it's performance is a -1 from me.

Edited by grimsonfart

I've personally always seen DayZ as taking place about a year or two after the events of ArmA 2. Remnants of the Chedikia would probably still be active during this period, explaining the mass of destroyed armored vehicles. (I Highly doubt riots can account for ALL those burned out BMPs.) Obviously, the USMC is still present in the region aswell. Prehaps the Infection is actaully an Ex-Soviet biological weapon, stolen and set off by the Chedikia? (Did i spell Chedikia right?)

For those wondering about the location of Chernarus, from everything i have seen (Arma II trailer, random arma Websites..) it's located on the uppermost western edge of the Caspian Sea, not far from the Battles around Stalingrad in 1942-43. This is literally pretty much the only feasible location of Chernarus aswell, though asides from the ArmA trailer there is very little concrete evidence on this. It does beg the question though; How did the US Navy get into the Caspian Sea?