I used the search function, didn't find anything. If this hasn't been posted, I'm surprised it hasn't yet.

I'm going to go ahead and admit, I don't play on full pop servers, usually only 5-15 people servers. The reason? I can't handle stress, or pressure, or making decisions while under stress or pressure! I'm very bad at encounters with people, especially since I don't have a lot of time to make a decision with what to say/how to act. If I think someone is in the same building as me? I freeze up and my heart starts beating veeeeery hard, to the point I can hear and feel the veins in my head throb. My thought process stops, and it's hard for me to decide what to do.

I TRIED a full-pop server ONCE, and I nearly had a heart attack because almost immediately start to get chopped up by a guy with an axe.

Needless to say, I haven't played on a full-pop server since.

Now, finally, onto why I think larger maps would be great (Take note, I think this should only be implemented when they add vehicles). What I envision having a character in DayZ to be like one day, are long journeys across country sides to get to a specific place (i.e city, town, stuff like that), for loot and gear like that. Along the way, you'd hunt, fish, setup camps for the night (Which would be longer, but that would depend on the server anyway), with sleeping bags, and a campfire where you cooked your beans, and maybe had chats with your friends. A good balance of how often player interaction occurred could make this perfect. My inspiration for this comes from pretty much any post apocalyptic movie, where they travel forth into unknown lands.

Also, with this, it would be cool for them to add where you could spawn with friends, if they approved, but not in certain areas, only around spawn points.

Basically, what I think it would add would be:

+ A lot more to explore, which would make sense!

+ Player interaction less often, and much more important

+ The environment more of a danger, for this would be an issue along your whole "Journey", which would be a plus for me

- Potential problem being that it would be more boring? But, there would be stops along the way, some that are better than others, thus attracting more people to them, some less valuable, so that there is less risk, but less loot.

EDIT: - I'm not sure, but this might make the game harder to run? I wouldn't know about that

Any suggestions? Feel free to comment/criticize, but with reasonable justification

If I forgot anything, I'll edit it in!

Edited by SomeCallMeNomad
  • Like 2

Please only press post once, and if you accidentally post it in the wrong section, message a moderator and we will move it for you.

• Like 1

Please only press post once, and if you accidentally post it in the wrong section, message a moderator and we will move it for

I have no idea why it posted itself so many times in the "General Discussion". Sorry about that.

I agree that a MUCH larger map will be needed if they're going to implement aircraft of different sorts.  However, they're currently still working on new towns for the current map.  It'll be a while if they decide to expand, but we'll see.

I like that you have the same ideas I do in your main four topics toward the bottom of your post.

P.S. - Nice signature

Edited by KT_Cobra

Wait till modding comes out, i'm sure loads of people will wan't to mod other maps :D

You are going to hate it when the servers can fit over a hundred people lol.

I don't think any would complain about a larger map. Actually scratch that, some people will complain about anything but you get my point.

But I unfortunately it will not happen from BI, as already stated it will be the modders that do this, if anyone.

PS, also there is no shame in only playing low pop servers. You play how you want to play.

Edited by NexVentor
  • Like 1

PS, also their is no shame in only playing low pop servers. You play how you want to play.

Thx! That actually makes me feel a lot better about my guilt on not playing high pop servers xD

Edited by SomeCallMeNomad

Wait till modding comes out, i'm sure loads of people will wan't to mod other maps :D

When did they say that will come out?

When did they say that will come out?

I'm not sure when.. But it's going to be a  long time most likely..

Thx! That actually makes me feel a lot better about my guilt on not playing high pop servers xD

I used to only play low pop servers.

But now that I dont, I still have a hard time finding people, and I always play on 20 people or above servers.

Unless I go to Electro of course.

Edited by TEST_SUBJECT_83

A large map and different maps will be required (to those that love maps and exploring)

BUT DUDE SERIOUSLY!!!!! Get the fuck out more and interact with people and live real life before you become a hermit.

A large map and different maps will be required (to those that love maps and exploring)

BUT DUDE SERIOUSLY!!!!! Get the fuck out more and interact with people and live real life before you become a hermit.

Chernarus took 5 years to create and the Chernarus+ version used in DayZ has been in development for a further 18 months and is nowhere near complete. Unfortunately it's highly unlikely that we will see additional official maps in DayZ.

Chernarus took 5 years to create and the Chernarus+ version used in DayZ has been in development for a further 18 months and is nowhere near complete. Unfortunately it's highly unlikely that we will see additional official maps in DayZ.

Wow that long? Should have asked God he did it with a click of his fingers.

Pffff...amateurs

;)

edit: btw Chernarus is a master piece. It's a pity more people don't appreciate the obvious work that went into it  or enjoy walking through it. I think I might do a "Hikers Guide to Chernarus" and post it up.

Edited by Jexter

Wow that long? Should have asked God he did it with a click of his fingers.

Pffff...amateurs

;)

Yeah, creating an authentic landscape on this kind of scale is quite an undertaking.

Now that the team has expanding I have a feeling that if we ever saw a sequel it would feature a purpose built (and possibly larger) new map, but I just don't think it's a realistic ask for the current game unfortunately.

Yeah, creating an authentic landscape on this kind of scale is quite an undertaking.

Now that the team has expanding I have a feeling that if we ever saw a sequel it would feature a purpose built (and possibly larger) new map, but I just don't think it's a realistic ask for the current game unfortunately.

Can you give a break down of the current team size and how they are split?

i have hear they will add a island in the future. it could be this from arma 3...

arma3stratis.jpg

The island is Utes from ArmA 2. I'm not 100% sure whether it's still planned.

Even at full server the map is empty. Unless you go to hotspots like army barracks, airfields or coast, you will hardly meet someone anywhere else. The map is big enough

looking foward to Steam Workshop and new territories too, Chernarus is a bit small with the new running speed and chance of increasing server pop.

I actually am beginning to really like Altis. It has just the right mix of urban/ rural for zombie game and some great areas to search. I only wish it was a  european or english theme map with more woodland than a mediterian. I would absolutely LOVE to see an english territory in Arma day Z. If anyone has ever found  one link me. I would like to play in Lake District type area with mountains, lakes, shacks and campsites. Would make for an epic apocalypse.

to put it simple: quality over quantity. i don't want to see 10 more generic villages with the same old buildings. leave the map the size it has right now, but focus on overhauling and finetuning. add more sceneric places, more unique locations and simply more to see and experience. simply quality over quantity

For 40 players the map seems big enough though thats hard to say as most game dynamics are not final. With rarer loot, loot respawn management, lower walk speed, vehicles, fixed server hopping etc. we might see more action all over the map.

A bigger map would also require more resources and more players. So I agree with the others who said "quality over quantity" - for now.