Zedertone

How do you think DayZ Standalone is going?

dayz mod is still technically in alpha.

it is more fun, competitive and stable than the SA.

the SA runs on the same engine, using the same code, with the same textures and the same objects and the same items as the mod.

no leap forward.

dayz SA being shitty is subjective opinion, which mine is.

dayz SA being underwhelming is pretty damn near consensus.

this alpha was released too early to be considered a playable game.

it hasn't reached playable status, no matter how you internally rationalize it out of fear for the future of the game or defensiveness for being told you wasted your money,

just my 2 centz

I dont think you have played any other games in alpha. You are comparing the mod to the stand alone wich havent been out for as long.

I love the game despite bugs and whatever flaws it have at the moment.

Edited by SnakeDoctor
  • Like 1

I dont think you have played any other games in alpha. You are comparing the mod to the stand alone wich havent been out for as long.

I work for a company that releases games in their Alpha status. DayZ would be considered a pre-alpha here and wouldn't be released to the public. It is not a typical alpha game.

I work for a company that releases games in their Alpha status. DayZ would be considered a pre-alpha here and wouldn't be released to the public. It is not a typical alpha game.

Alpha games isnt as it was before steam and other publishers started to release them to the public now must stuff is released in a very basic state.

Alpha games isnt as it was before steam and other publishers started to release them to the public now must stuff is released in a very basic state.

You are talking about a very specific type of game release called "Early Access". A lot of the software released under the "Early Access" label is actually pre-alpha. When software is usually in its alpha state it is close to feature complete (even if many of those features are not working).

considering how fun the game is DESPITE its technical issues/limitations (those who know me are familiar with my criticism of the reuse of arma code and assets), i'd say the game already is excellent, and constantly improving. it will obviously never be perfect to flawlessly accomodate everything that has been asked for by the hypetrain passengers. but once its released in a state which makes dean adequately happy, it will be a hell of a game. and then the modding starts.

oh and if you ask me: the game being publicly available in its buggy alpha state? thats a great thing. the dev team has gone to exceptional lengths to include the community in the process, and really, this is a game we all made and shaped. i think its awesome.

one could contend that there is no "typical alpha game".  these terms always had a somewhat blurry definition, in game development even more so than in 'normal' software development. while -generally- alpha means focus testing of certain programmatic structures, while beta stage marks feature-completion and blackbox testing,  i have worked on both: 'alpha' versions where the overall concept existed only as a manifest, with only a few disconnected classes and libraries being actually coded, with dedicated testbed scenarios used to debug them, as well as 'alphas' which could have been percieved as release candidates..  if anything, a typical alpha game means that the game has a established concept but it is in an early stage of implementation, with core features and assets missing or disfunctional, and testing focused on subsystems rather than functionality. in this regard, dayz fits a typical alpha quite well.

alpha is what it is. what has changed is that it is suddenly available to the public and thus allows user feedback to be involved much earlier in the development process, made possible by the digital distrubution platforms, which not only allow to sell the game online but also to update the code constantly on many client machines. user tests are costly and time-expensive, allowing users 'early access' is quite attractive for developers, as it offers valuable feedback on many aspects.

of course 'early access' is also a marketing term, and it offers no indication of the actual development stage. its not always used for testing purposes, but as a selling point or perk. 'early access' in the case of RSIs Star Citizen means you can load up a showroom of your spaceship, with no gameplay mechanics available, in other cases 'early access' is merely allowing you get to play the finished product three days before the retail release date.

Edited by e47
  • Like 2

I have mixed emotions.

On one side, I can't find in SA what made the mod the best MP experience I ever had. It might be that the map is pretty much the same, or the lack of endgame content like vehicles and tents, or the broken zombie AI. I dunno, but I can't feel it, and right now I feel like it will never reach to that point, at the rate we are getting updates.

Something about the playerbase bothers me too, but it might be because of the current state of the game and might improve with time.

On the other side, I like how the survival aspect has been expanded. But since release it hasn't been improved too much. So its all just a mather of waiting and see how it goes

It's the lack of progression and variety.

In DayZ mod you would pick up an Enfield, then maybe find an M4 or AK on your travels, then you'd search for something like an M14 AIM, DMR or whatever it is that floats your boat. Same with backpacks and tools. There simply aren't enough items in DayZ right now. This will come with time, don't worry.

The mod pretty much used ArmA 2 content so it was all there from the get-go. With the new attachments system in DayZ everything has to be prepared from scratch and it's taking a little longer.

I think that the game is going alright but it just doesn't interest me like the mod did when I first started playing, I could go into more detail but most of my points have already been posted in this thread

You are talking about a very specific type of game release called "Early Access". A lot of the software released under the "Early Access" label is actually pre-alpha. When software is usually in its alpha state it is close to feature complete (even if many of those features are not working).

Call it whatever you want but even Dayz labels itself as Alpha.

We post no arguments because we believe people are not blind, but here, just some of them:

1. Loot only spawning on server restarts.

2. Zombies aggro randomly, still die when walking downhill, walk through doors, walls, objects.

3. Lack of any sort of persistent storage or vehicles.

4. Only few firearms availabale.

5. Ladders randomly killing people, people walking through objects/walls.

6. No animals, fireplaces and cooking.

And that's just compared to the outdated, forgotten mod. 

Not to be a fanboy, but every single one of these "arguments" will be fixed in due time.

Edited by BlueBlighty

We post no arguments because we believe people are not blind, but here, just some of them:

1. Loot only spawning on server restarts.

2. Zombies aggro randomly, still die when walking downhill, walk through doors, walls, objects.

3. Lack of any sort of persistent storage or vehicles.

4. Only few firearms availabale.

5. Ladders randomly killing people, people walking through objects/walls.

6. No animals, fireplaces and cooking.

And that's just compared to the outdated, forgotten mod. 

you probably missed the presentation from Rezzed, right? it also has the famed roadmap so you know -when- actually to expect some of the features -  i'll repost because reasons:

Edited by e47
  • Like 2

you probably missed the presentation from Rezzed, right? it also has the famed roadmap so you know -when- actually to expect some of the features -  i'll repost because reasons:

Some people man, some people ;)

Personally if they stopped development and just fixed the bugs, I could still have fun with this game. It might even feel like too much with vehicles and bases. I like simple survival, lone wolf for the most part. But that's just me. 

• Like 1

Pretty good.  I see them moving 6 times faster then most total conversion mods.

• Like 1

Pretty good.  I see them moving 6 times faster then most total conversion mods.

Yeah! And also, they're doing better than a lot of Alpha's I see for other games.

Personally if they stopped development and just fixed the bugs

Development == Bugfixing

And it's already happening.

I need cars and tents and then I'll let you know. Oh and some major performance boosts.

i hope this game is going to be the totaly zombiepanic hardcore game where the teams must collect freshspawns like loot on the coast with a helicopter and bring them to thier base.

and its only possible when the freshspawn climb on roofs and the helicopter must clear the area from zombitches with a minigun and AC/DC first :D

I need cars and tents and then I'll let you know. Oh and some major performance boosts.

Yeah I would like some performance boosts, but other than that I like it a lot, and I could do without cars, but something like a bike or an ATV would be nice.

Slow............ but pleased with the results so far

Quality though. :D

I feel like they lack a bit of focus, and need to work on doing stuff less willy nilly.  The new spawns suck and shouldn't have been changed until they have stuff like loot respawning and a higher server pop.

I also feel like they need to treat stable branch as part of the alpha, instead of focusing so much on experimental.  Things should hit experimental and be tested for a week or two at the most for the major bugs and then put onto stable.  Stable is still alpha, it's meant to be a mess as well.  Look at the last big patch, they waited a month or more to put it on stable and then it still had big issues, because it's just a totally different beast.  So there's no point trying to perfect it on experimental first.

I also think that they need to realize that while balance isn't that important right now, being alpha and all, it would still be nice if they'd spend even a little bit of time to make guns feel less like shit and even out some of the useless melee weapons.  After all, regardless of if it's just alpha, people like a reason to play and while I don't mind quitting for weeks at a time (which I've done), it seems like a pretty minimal amount of effort to address some of these things.  Initially I would agree that it was no big deal, but we're 4 months in now.  Loot respawning should really be in too by now, it's a big deal.

I know they're getting to all this stuff, but as it stands it's like a giant pot they're just tossing ingredients in, and it would be nice to see some sort of order to the madness because while I have no doubt the final product will be good, at the end of the day we're still playing the game right now, alpha or not.

TL;DR:  It's going fine, I think the end result will be good, but I think with a bit more focus and better priorities they could make the ride to the end product a lot more enjoyable.

• Like 2

I feel like they lack a bit of focus, and need to work on doing stuff less willy nilly.  The new spawns suck and shouldn't have been changed until they have stuff like loot respawning and a higher server pop.

I also feel like they need to treat stable branch as part of the alpha, instead of focusing so much on experimental.  Things should hit experimental and be tested for a week or two at the most for the major bugs and then put onto stable.  Stable is still alpha, it's meant to be a mess as well.  Look at the last big patch, they waited a month or more to put it on stable and then it still had big issues, because it's just a totally different beast.  So there's no point trying to perfect it on experimental first.

I also think that they need to realize that while balance isn't that important right now, being alpha and all, it would still be nice if they'd spend even a little bit of time to make guns feel less like shit and even out some of the useless melee weapons.  After all, regardless of if it's just alpha, people like a reason to play and while I don't mind quitting for weeks at a time (which I've done), it seems like a pretty minimal amount of effort to address some of these things.  Initially I would agree that it was no big deal, but we're 4 months in now.  Loot respawning should really be in too by now, it's a big deal.

I know they're getting to all this stuff, but as it stands it's like a giant pot they're just tossing ingredients in, and it would be nice to see some sort of order to the madness because while I have no doubt the final product will be good, at the end of the day we're still playing the game right now, alpha or not.

TL;DR:  It's going fine, I think the end result will be good, but I think with a bit more focus and better priorities they could make the ride to the end product a lot more enjoyable.

See, these are the responses that I like coming from someone who, I won't call you a critic, but are not fully thumbs "upping" the game. Instead of just saying 

"its slow"

"loot hard 2 fynd"

"its awfull"

It's been kind of slow. I actually gave up on the game for about a year. (it was really late)

I'm having fun again tho as evident by my nearly 200 hours played

Edit: I'll admit when I first got the SA I was so confused. I could go in any building but there was no loot to be found. I learned the ropes quickly thanks to the forum tho but I can definitely understand people being confused. I mean in the mod you could enter a house or two in each town and expected to find loot

Edited by P0rkchop

Now, that's the great argument: "It will get imlemented eventually" when we're talking about current state of SA.

Moreover, why are you so sure that it will get implemented? Because Rocket said so? For about 1,5 year he was claiming that he is working on SA. Saying how many important issues have been already resolved - like cheats and scripts. Then alpha gets released and we find out that all the hacks work just fine.

Zombies movement was supposed to be fixed before alpha went live. Guess what?

So whenever Rocket or his happy fans keep talking about all the upcoming fantastic features, all I have to say is: I'll believe it when I see it.

• Like 1