Sign in to follow this  
Pao (DayZ)

helicopters idea

I always hated in the mod helicopters with m249s, too overpowered and so stupid in this context.

I thought that They should delete m249s and let players shoot with their gun. With this, players will have a really bad aim and helis will become mostly a means of transport and not a war machine.

Sorry for horrible english but I wanted to share this and look what people think :)

• Like 9

I'd be okay with them having M249's, However, In the mod they had M240's, Which fires 7.62.. I hope the Huey doesn't make a comeback.. At least not armed. Same goes for the Mi.

M240s weren't that OP. you could pretty easily avoid them. I think helicopters should be FP only. To prevent all bases being found in 10 seconds.

• Like 2

You should be able to find(not use) those guns and then attach them to the helicopter, and there would be a extremely low chance to find them attached to a military helicopter.

Edited by smrtrthanavgbear

M240s weren't that OP. you could pretty easily avoid them. I think helicopters should be FP only. To prevent all bases being found in 10 seconds.

They did hint at bases able to be built underground

Sorry, I mean M240s! The guns in the helicopter.

If a player has a gun, then he can shoot with it from the heli, but without any of them you can't

Heres my take. MOST helicopters should spawn entirely unarmed. Players can attach certain weapons to them, in different ways as well (door gun or pilot controlled-on side)

To prevent this from becoming overpowered, these certain weapons would use rare ammo. .50 cal should never spawn in increments of more than 15-20.

Doing this allows players who put time and devotion into a vehicle will be rewarded with the benefits of hard work. 

Should work this way with most vehicles, and yes, players should be able to shoot out of cars.

• Like 4

Stingers, blowpipes and the occasional bofors 40 :)

So yes i already suggest that to dayz ,  i mean shooting from vehicles with your equipment but even in arma 3 theres no function like that. Even in attack boat you cant use your weapons. You just sit at back like nothing happening around :( Looks like thers somekind of limitation for that. Maybe engine not allows it i dont know. As you can see on this video its possible to do but devs think it unnecessary i believe :/ 

• Like 1

They did hint at bases able to be built underground

yeah nut according to the roadmap, buildings come first

I never played the mod but I'd like to still see helis with saws on them. If they make them extremly rare that be another story

Looks like thers somekind of limitation for that. Maybe engine not allows it i dont know. As you can see on this video its possible to do but devs think it unnecessary i believe :/

Yes engine doesn't allow that, the video is a kind of script that constantly teleport "passenger" on helicopter (check bugs at 01:11).

Impossible to to run a such stressfull script on server, and would be worst with massive multiplayer + lag.

It's a shame indeed :(

I'd prefer for the choppers to all have a limit of 30 seconds of flight time... and then they blow up.  If they have to have a mounted weapon, I hope it's a fish catapult and that you have to catch all of your fish before shooting them.

These suggestions are coming from someone who doesn't want to see choppers in the game at all.  So, ya' know.......

I'd prefer for the choppers to all have a limit of 30 seconds of flight time... and then they blow up. If they have to have a mounted weapon, I hope it's a fish catapult and that you have to catch all of your fish before shooting them.

These suggestions are coming from someone who doesn't want to see choppers in the game at all. So, ya' know.......

You are not the only one.

If they introduce helicopters, they have to introduce rpg's, and there goes a survival game and hello war game.

• Like 1

You are not the only one.

If they introduce helicopters, they have to introduce rpg's, and there goes a survival game and hello war game.

How do helicopters implicate rocket-propelled grenade launchers son? And have you ever heard of civilian helicopters, too?

Edited by VonHabdekeiten

How do helicopters implicate rocket-propelled grenade launchers son? And have you ever heard of civilian helicopters, too?

Have you read an entire thread, there is talk of machine guns on helicopters. Do you think your sks will be able to match that? The game has to be balanced, and how do you bring down a helicopter? Maybe you want a tank, would you like a submarine as well son

Have you read an entire thread, there is talk of machine guns on helicopters. Do you think your sks will be able to match that? The game has to be balanced, and how do you bring down a helicopter? Maybe you want a tank, would you like a submarine as well son

you're blowing this way out of proportion. They had helicopters in the mod, and it wasn't really a problem. Admittedly, it was pretty  easy to find bases but the M240s were hard to use accurately against moving targets and were easily taken down by machineguns.

Edited by lootable

you're blowing this way out of proportion. They had helicopters in the mod, and it wasn't really a problem. Admittedly, it was pretty easy to find bases but the M240s were hard to use accurately against moving targets and were easily taken down by machineguns.

This is not a mod, its a standalone SURVIVAL game, not a war game. Why do u want helicopters and other modern warfare weaponry in a world where finding food should be a problem?
  • Like 1

This is not a mod, its a standalone SURVIVAL game, not a war game. Why do u want helicopters and other modern warfare weaponry in a world where finding food should be a problem?

You're the one involving warfare around helicopters all along, suggesting to add rpgs and what not! I was simply referring to helicopters, civilian ones, no guns, nothing, a mere transport mean. 

I don't believe there would be need to balance anything out and add means to bring them down, such as rpgs. That would be unnecessary and a waste of time. In a post-apocalyptic mindset, no one in their right mind would want to waste such scarce technology and destroy a helicopter. There should still be however possibility to disable them (the main rotor, the rear one) with basic non-military grade weapons, as well as being able to move them around using towing of some sort to hide them elsewhere without bringing any attention towards you, but I'm going off-topic now.

Edited by VonHabdekeiten

i think it would be cool to have some kind of gun on a heli, as long as there was a way to bring it down, of course make the gun rare or whatever, i duno much about how it was in the mod though

I agree with this ^.

The game seemed to be solely based on survival and interactions with other people at the start.  Now there's been talk of helicopters... I just don't see the use of helicopters in a map of this size.  They would have to quadruple the size of the map to even begin to have it make sense.  I'm fine with vehicles, but not choppers.

I highly doubt the developers would agree with me, and, unfortunately, I foresee choppers of some sort in the game when it's released, but that's when I'll realize that I surely the miss these days of DayZ.

You're the one involving warfare around helicopters all along, suggesting to add rpgs and what not! I was simply referring to helicopters, civilian ones, no guns, nothing, a mere transport mean.

I don't believe there would be need to balance anything out and add means to bring them down, such as rpgs. That would be unnecessary and a waste of time. In a post-apocalyptic mindset, no one in their right mind would want to waste such scarce technology and destroy a helicopter. There should still be however possibility to disable them (the main rotor, the rear one) with basic non-military grade weapons, as well as being able to move them around using towing of some sort to hide them elsewhere without bringing any attention towards you, but I'm going off-topic now.

Sorry seems like we are misunderstanding each other, the only reason i mentioned rpg, is because how else would you bring a helicopter down, who just happens to be blowing the crap out of your base with machine guns, i dont want rpg or helicopters in a game. Small civillian ones are ok as long as they dont pose a threat to players bases. But even those little ones arent really needed, unless they make the map 2-3 times bigger. What i dont want to see is helicopters everywhere and everyone having one.

Sorry seems like we are misunderstanding each other, the only reason i mentioned rpg, is because how else would you bring a helicopter down, who just happens to be blowing the crap out of your base with machine guns, i dont want rpg or helicopters in a game. Small civillian ones are ok as long as they dont pose a threat to players bases. But even those little ones arent really needed, unless they make the map 2-3 times bigger. What i dont want to see is helicopters everywhere and everyone having one.

DayZ flight simulator

DayZ flight simulator

Ha ha true, then the devs will have to give zombies the wings (there is talk of changing pipsi to red bull) to be any threat
  • Like 1