mixmastajingles

What is wrong with Dayz?

I feel I need to list a few problems i have with Dayz. My 4 friends and I who have played many hours of Dayz have temporarily quit the game because of these problems and I want the community to hear about our struggles.

I completely understand that the game is in "Alpha" and I am simply listing problems because I want the developers to hear consumer thoughts.

The biggest problem we have faced in Dayz is the enormous amount of lag and slow glitchy actions. We feel the entire game engine is trash and with profits the game should have had a new engine made. It takes roughly 45 seconds just to load into the game and 20-40 seconds more to load into servers. Then when you are in the game you experience terrible bullet and weapon registration, floating dead bodies surfing across the map, zombies flying through walls, and inventory issues. This is a major problem that should be addressed quickly before moving on to cramming more lagged features into the unstable game.

Nobody wants to pull their gun out and put it away 7 times and then be forced to stand still to take out your axe to kill the 9 zombies that are swarming you. 

Zombies are very random and spawn on top of you every 3 seconds. This has become ridiculous and everyone is getting tired of hacking 40 zombies to death and then watching them respawn in front of their eyes.

Hackers have completely taken over the game, everyone says some magical "Ban Wave" took care of them but i've dealt with them constantly since the game launched. Everyone seems to know where I am in the middle of the woods making no noise and shooting me through walls. Elektro is pointless because you just get sniped by the hackers on sniper hill. Are there steam account bans for this game?

The last thing i have a problem with is the dreadful amount of unsurety you have when you try to shoot someone. You are constantly nervous because the person you just shot 7 times gets back up from death and shoots you in the face,

• Like 2

I completely understand that the game is in "Alpha" and I am simply listing problems because I want the developers to hear consumer thoughts.

Thank you for listing these well known an repeatedly spoken about problems. Luckily you understand the game is in alpha i am 99% sure that all of these problems will be changed as the game progresses from an alpha, that is the stage when you and your friends can come back and start playing. This is not a full game, it is a testing phase. It sounds to me as if you and your friends are not doing any testing and i think that is your main problem.

Also i pvp in electro a lot and i have not been sniped in a looong time, there is a lot of buildings you can use to stay in cover, try using them.

Edited by anothercynicalbrit
  • Like 2

I feel I need to list a few problems i have with Dayz. My 4 friends and I who have played many hours of Dayz have temporarily quit the game because of these problems and I want the community to hear about our struggles.

The biggest problem we have faced in Dayz is the enormous amount of lag and slow glitchy actions. We feel the entire game engine is trash and with profits the game should have had a new engine made

Not going to lie, That's as far as I read.

It's not exactly as simple as " Make a new engine "... That would kill the project at this point.

That zombies spawning thing is because your doing something to drew them....like remaining in line of sight or firing rounds within earshot. Iv killed loads the other night with my axe at Zelen and didn't see one respawn in front of me. Stealth wil be a very important aspect to dayz, especially when moving through towns to loot.

They cant just build a new engine, that would take so much time. This engine is brilliant, and a lot of the problems I think come from the changes they have made to it. Balancing and optimisation are things that happen towards the end of development. We paid to watch the game grow....for better or worse...not for a ritch gaming experience. We are all getting exactly what we wanted here :)

i'd say try the mod with your friends.

you will have more fun playing that instead, while you wait for the release next year (maybe)

I don't have a problem with spawning zeds either.

I would support a new engine, I said it in the mod. I don't think the Arma engine is the best for this type of game.

• Like 1

I like the comments you made. I have around 400~ hrs, and it is getting quite annoying to deal with the same issues, over and over... 

DayZ's alpha 3 biggest "wrongs" imo:

- Z are not the biggest threat.

- There are no creative features.

- A large portion of the player base doesn't care about realism / immersion.

Edited by mgc
  • Like 1

Ding ding ding ding.

Large potion rather keep the unrealistic features and turn this into any other regular arcade shooter.

• Like 3

Ding ding ding ding.

Large potion rather keep the unrealistic features and turn this into any other regular arcade shooter.

This is the new ManHunt game. No joke.

• Like 1

I think the developers need to make big cities really hazardous. That alone would fix a whole lot of problems. Elektro deathmatch would stop and people would be forced to go inland. I'd like to see a firefight outside of one of the coastal cities. Instead of being shot on sight as a freshspawn.

It's a big city so you would think their would be a bunch of infected in it but there is only a few per street. Needs WAY more infected travelling around in huge groups so as soon as a gunshot goes off it's nighty night for the shooter. Would fix the KOS problem in big cities.

Definitely. I just got killed by a fully decked out guy in Elektro. I had literally nothing. Now, he'd have thought twice about even being there, let alone shooting off some rounds, if the cities were dangerous. But no, he maybe had one Zed aggro on him.

I completely agree with you. And the dead freshie bodies you see around Berezino would no longer be there. As soon as someone spawned away from Elektro, it'd be "Fuck yeah, I'm away from that hellhole." instead of "Shit, better suicide to get back in the action."

The biggest problem we have faced in Dayz is the enormous amount of lag and slow glitchy actions. We feel the entire game engine is trash and with profits the game should have had a new engine made. It takes roughly 45 seconds just to load into the game and 20-40 seconds more to load into servers. Then when you are in the game you experience terrible bullet and weapon registration, floating dead bodies surfing across the map, zombies flying through walls, and inventory issues. This is a major problem that should be addressed quickly before moving on to cramming more lagged features into the unstable game.

Nobody wants to pull their gun out and put it away 7 times and then be forced to stand still to take out your axe to kill the 9 zombies that are swarming you. 

Zombies are very random and spawn on top of you every 3 seconds. This has become ridiculous and everyone is getting tired of hacking 40 zombies to death and then watching them respawn in front of their eyes.

Hackers have completely taken over the game, everyone says some magical "Ban Wave" took care of them but i've dealt with them constantly since the game launched. Everyone seems to know where I am in the middle of the woods making no noise and shooting me through walls. Elektro is pointless because you just get sniped by the hackers on sniper hill. Are there steam account bans for this game?

The last thing i have a problem with is the dreadful amount of unsurety you have when you try to shoot someone. You are constantly nervous because the person you just shot 7 times gets back up from death and shoots you in the face,

1. Making a new engine would take years.

2. Fixing the issues in the second paragraph cannot be fixed "ASAP".

3. There are VAC bans on Steam accounts.

Man this type of stuff just makes me....*sigh* nevermind. >.>

DayZ's alpha 3 biggest "wrongs" imo:

- Z are not the biggest threat.

- There are no creative features.

Terrible movement and combat attacking gets my vote, but that's due to the game engine so it will never change unfortunately.

different OP, different words, same old bullshit about a game that int finished.....YAWN "well I think Dean should use his gazillion profits to make zombies with lollipops in their hands, AND I WANT IT NOW you profiteering twat"

I didn't know my post would draw this amount of attention haha. Well honestly switching game engine at this point might actually speed up the updates. With an improved engine they could make changes quicker and easier rather than working around a pre-existing framework for Arma.

If Bohemia wont swap engines(which is highly unlikely at this point anyway) then they should focus on improving existing mechanics and giving players what they want secondly. A lot of the mechanics players want are being pushed to the end of the to-do list and pointless buggy features are being pushed into the unstable game engine. 

Over the last couple updates i have noticed the original problems of inventory/movement lag making a huge comeback and barely any new features have been implemented. Bohemia should be smart and cater to their fans before they lose too many to bad experiences. This is a major mistake most game development companies make and they lose sales over it. 

What makes you want to stand in front of Bohemia and fight their battles for them? Fanboyism? Why even argue the known facts with the "Its only Alpha" line? Maybe it is only alpha but that doesn't mean they are not diminishing their playerbase by their "Alpha" mindset.

I have no problem with bohemia but it is our duty as consumers to push the game companies harder. Just as we accept the terms of agreement, they also accept the fact that an "alpha" mindset can destroy their customer satisfaction rather than build it.

Edited by jingles
  • Like 1

The biggest problem we have faced in Dayz is the enormous amount of lag and slow glitchy actions. - I know people have issues with this but ever since I fixed my firewall I haven't had any glitchy actions TBH .. no BS. I get decent FPS but I had to set everything to low/disabled aside from shadows on normal and object detail on normal; but the game still looks .. well frankly the same really. My gun is drawn when I tell it to, it gets put up when I tell it to, my inventory doesn't bug out and have disappearing items anymore, zombies and players are never invisible anymore, I (almost) never rubberband save maybe once every 10 or so hours of gameplay when the server itself seems to have a hiccup, in around 30+ hours of gametime. My girlfriend's computer has a rare crash when logging out of a session but that's few and far between and hardly an actual issue worth noting. Point being you might be able to resolve the issues, if you tinker.

Nobody wants to pull their gun out and put it away 7 times and then be forced to stand still to take out your axe to kill the 9 zombies that are swarming you. - I believe it's.. sprinting while putting away an item or drawing an item you'll keep moving while doing so. Doesn't cause an issue really and I kind of like the feature, no instant-ready weapons.

Zombies are very random and spawn on top of you every 3 seconds. This has become ridiculous and everyone is getting tired of hacking 40 zombies to death and then watching them respawn in front of their eyes. - The only time zombies spawn anywhere near me is if I fire a gun and then yeah, might get swarmed, but never hacking 40 zombies to death in all my time, worst horde I've ever had is fired off a clip and then drew my fireaxe to fight off a total of like six zombies and then no more showed up.. but if you just fire a gun they'll come in endlessly.. either way that'll get fixed when spawning does so  yeah its' a tad annoying but avoidable just by ensuring you axe zombies not shoot them.

Hackers have completely taken over the game, everyone says some magical "Ban Wave" took care of them but i've dealt with them constantly since the game launched. Everyone seems to know where I am in the middle of the woods making no noise and shooting me through walls. Elektro is pointless because you just get sniped by the hackers on sniper hill. Are there steam account bans for this game? - Bans are global and .. in almost 100 hours I've at least never experienced one hacker, but starting out me and girlfriend would run into that 1 other person on server ALOT at random and for no reason other than .. people are just like us, everywhere. If you think there are hackers seeing through walls and the like, go hide in one of the outhouses for 10 hours.. nobody will show up aside from the zombies; those are the real hackers :P

There's no doubt there are hackers, but they are getting wiped out quite well to the point that I truthfully believe running into a hacker is a truly rare experience not anything remotely to the extent of having taken over the game or that you have died that often to one.

The last thing i have a problem with is the dreadful amount of unsurety you have when you try to shoot someone. You are constantly nervous because the person you just shot 7 times gets back up from death and shoots you in the face. - Can't say I've had this problem either, sounds alot like desync and not having your bullets hit. One shot to the head and the person is down for good unless they are wearing a pristine ballistic's helmet and your shooting a pistol.

This is just from my experience/opinion, and no doubt it's Alpha and has a long way to go but I can't say there is a single thing that truly grates on my nerves here. It has it's issues, but everything i've encountered that's a problem has a way to be avoided.

Edited by AzrailCross

The biggest problem we have faced in Dayz is the enormous amount of lag and slow glitchy actions. We feel the entire game engine is trash

Dayz would not be possible in any other engine.

Dayz in any other non mil sim engine would just be any other zombie game that happens to have loot.

Low view distance, focused on close combat, rendering distance of 200m tops.

The engine they have is perfect for the game.

This is just from my experience/opinion, and no doubt it's Alpha and has a long way to go but I can't say there is a single thing that truly grates on my nerves here. It has it's issues, but everything i've encountered that's a problem has a way to be avoided.

We shouldn't have to avoid bugs. Would you buy a lawn mower that has no wheels and say "Bro, i can just hold it like a weed whacker"?

We shouldn't have to avoid bugs. Would you buy a lawn mower that has no wheels and say "Bro, i can just hold it like a weed whacker"?

If it's a prototype lawnmower that I paid to test, yes.. that is sort of what you've done by going for the Alpha.

You find the bugs with it, like the blades becoming projectiles and taking off your mailbox and dismembering your neighbor  and you report them to get it fixed in due time, in the meantime you keep testing it for more bugs, If the lawnmower becomes sentient and starts to issue commands it's time to worry. 

Edited by AzrailCross

I didn't know my post would draw this amount of attention haha. Well honestly switching game engine at this point might actually speed up the updates. With an improved engine they could make changes quicker and easier rather than working around a pre-existing framework for Arma.

If Bohemia wont swap engines(which is highly unlikely at this point anyway) then they should focus on improving existing mechanics and giving players what they want secondly. A lot of the mechanics players want are being pushed to the end of the to-do list and pointless buggy features are being pushed into the unstable game engine. 

Making of new engine might speed up the updates but making new one would take... forever. Not literally forever but long enough for people to lose interest in waiting.

From a player view, it is really easy for you. Just give me what I want and I am happy to play your game. Now think of devs point of view. It is really hard to give players what they want since everyone wants different things and many want exact opposite from what others do. I hope this makes sense.

Liked the post, people throw out the alpha excuse endlessly. My only point ompare it to the other alpha open sandbox zombie survival horrors in development now. 7 days to die and the dead linger. Progress and updates everyweek from them, we had to wait a month for that last patch which has still occuring problems now to this day. Their progress is slow and the other games are showing them up for it. 

All I have to say is, without people endlessly bitching about the game, how would the developers know what to fix? Yeah, it's Alpha. Fucking exactly. It's in a modifiable state in which the devs can fix what we don't like.

I think the developers need to make big cities really hazardous. That alone would fix a whole lot of problems. Elektro deathmatch would stop and people would be forced to go inland. I'd like to see a firefight outside of one of the coastal cities. Instead of being shot on sight as a freshspawn.

That is coming, apparently. As long as elecktro has 657 zombies in it I'll be happy.