synystr

KoS or Human Nature?

Add more in depth character development, such as a conscience, emotions, and moral standards, and bam KoS will be gone. Not sure if the community or the Devs wanna go down this road though.

And if you get KOS too often, consider becoming a better player instead of bitching about it.

Coward

Noun

1. a person who lacks the courage to do or endure dangerous or unpleasant things.

Verb

1. excessively afraid of danger or pain.

By definition a coward is someone who avoids danger. So since KOS is a means to avoid danger to oneself by taking the easiest route it technically could be defined as an act of cowardice. One could even argue the guy hiding in the bush is less of a coward than someone that uses the KOS tactic because they are putting themselves in a more risky situation than someone who shoots on sight.

Just sayin  :)

KoS player START PVP SITUATION ;)

he INITIATE FIGHT TO DEATH :thumbsup:  :ph34r:

is no guarantee player alone

is no guarantee you make kill

is no guarantee other guy around don't listen shoots and come for kill you

KILL PLAYER IS NOT COWARD ACT >:(

is courage act of brave guy who know what is require for survive and thrive in post apocalypse hell B)

I just sayin' :P

Edited by KoS
  • Like 2

KoS player START PVP SITUATION ;)

he INITIATE FIGHT TO DEATH :thumbsup:  :ph34r:

is no guarantee player alone

is no guarantee you make kill

is no guarantee other guy around don't listen shoots and come for kill you

KILL PLAYER IS NOT COWARD ACT > :(

is courage act of brave guy who know what is require for survive and thrive in post apocalypse hell B)

I just sayin' :P

No, killing someone is not a cowardly act,  but killing them without giving them a chance to defend themselves, or even know there is another player in the vicinity, is pretty cowardly. To me, it signifies that you are afraid of the other player, that you are afraid of losing your character in a "stand-up, fair" (as fair as modern combat can be, that is) fight, and as such, have to resort to ambushing or camping in order to "safely" wipe the other guy. Both of which are used all of the time in the real world, of course, but in game-terms could be considered assholish.

Edited by Whyherro123

This is the earliest video I could find. April 27 2012. Two weeks after DayZ mod launched. If you read side chat, and listen to the guy's story, you will see that even this early on KoS was rampant. 

Ever think that it is Human nature in a situation like this? Trust, by definition, is dependence on another person. One person is WILLINGLY relying on another person's actions... Which is completely stupid and naive.

If I have stuff to lose, you can bet I'll shoot you if you are within range.

The Anti-KoS people can deny all they want, but I highly doubt that:

1. They are completely 100% innocent

2. When the shit hits the fan in a survival situation, (like war, an epidemic, or even a zombie outbreak), I highly doubt they are going to be running through towns yelling "Friendly?", running up on people asking to team up.

I think rather than human nature being one of killing it is one of winning or success.

In the last 100,000 years man has had far more reason to kill to win or succeed than other methods.

It is only in the last say several hundred years that the focus has shifted and yet we have not learned or matured much yet.

In another 1000 years this will be a question of the way it was not the way it is.

It is all about wininng not necessarily killing. Killing has just classically been the easiest way to win. Things are changing...they always do.

• Like 2

By far a very good subject on something people have been rambling about for the past months in here. GJ, i'll spend my life reading the comments :D

KOS mostly is committed by a person who A: has "the drop" or B: shoots when another player has attempted to communicate by saying "friendly"

"The drop" is when someone has the upper hand and has his sights on someone else before they have a chance to react. Essentially taking the player "by surprise".

When someone displays they are friendly or a non-combatant they are showing a willingness to coexist. 

I don't find it particularly accurate to describe someone who uses surprise tactics and fires on non-combatants as "brave".

The fact that people who choose a KOS playstyle knowing that they wikll be involved in more firefights is pretty brave....

Even if you happen to get "the drop" on a player and shoot them, you still have to worry about alerting other players to your presence and worrying that the guy you shot probably has reinforcements very close by.

A synonym for brave is heroic. I would not describe KOS as heroic.

Again just sayin. :P

Wrong.

Brave maybe a characteristic of a hero, but it is NOT the same thing as a hero....

Hitler could be characterized as brave for trying to take on the most powerful nation in the world, but should he be called a hero? No.

Just sayin...

good'ol side chat...damn been awhile since I seen that. And the classic I look like a bandit but am friendly scam. hahhahaha so glad theres no humanity system in SA.and as for KOS it doesn't bother me different strokes different folks.

The fact that people who choose a KOS playstyle knowing that they wikll be involved in more firefights is pretty brave....

Even if you happen to get "the drop" on a player and shoot them, you still have to worry about alerting other players to your presence and worrying that the guy you shot probably has reinforcements very close by.

Wrong.

Brave maybe a characteristic of a hero, but it is NOT the same thing as a hero....

Hitler could be characterized as brave for trying to take on the most powerful nation in the world, but should he be called a hero? No.

Just sayin...

and aren't most people considered heroes after they die doing what made them a hero.

I think rather than human nature being one of killing it is one of winning or success.

In the last 100,000 years man has had far more reason to kill to win or succeed than other methods.

It is only in the last say several hundred years that the focus has shifted and yet we have not learned or matured much yet.

In another 1000 years this will be a question of the way it was not the way it is.

It is all about wininng not necessarily killing. Killing has just classically been the easiest way to win. Things are changing...they always do.

damn you hit it on the head there sir have these beans

• Like 1

killing them without giving them a chance to defend themselves, or even know there is another player in the vicinity, is pretty cowardly. To me, it signifies that you are afraid of the other player, that you are afraid of losing your character in a "stand-up, fair" (as fair as modern combat can be, that is) fight, and as such, have to resort to ambushing or camping in order to "safely" wipe the other guy. Both of which are used all of the time in the real world, of course, but in game-terms could be considered assholish.

Oh boy....

The thing I find so funny is how eager most people are to label a playstyle as just ONE thing. Fear has NOTHING to do with it. If it was really about fear we would all just hide in the woods the whole time....

It's easier for you to put a label on a certain playstyle rather than realize it's more complex than that.

So yeah, call it cowardly if that helps you sleep at night, but thats just ignorance at its worst....

Also when rocket was explaining his inspiration for the game he never used the words "fair" or "standup". He did however describe a world where everything was out to get you and the odds were stacked against you...

If your looking for a game where everything is balanced and "fair" than this is not your game.....

Its not human nature to kill others on sight.

People kill on sight in DayZ for the following reasons:

1. There are no consequences (IRL there are)

2. There is no great value to your character in game. You fail, you lose some shit, so what? IRL you risk death, it makes you much less likely to be killing everyone you see.

3. People find it entertaining in a game. IRL only psychopaths find killing other humans entertaining.

Saying DayZ reflects human nature, or is in any way a social experiment that can somehow provide answers applicable to real life is stupid and ridiculous.

Edited by DoctorBadSign
  • Like 3