nickv33

Minor topic...But needs to be discussed

Now this is a very very very minor topic but I would like to see it in game. Now there are many jackets/coats in the game. What I would like to see is the ability to lift your hood. Now of course if your hood is up then you can't out on a helmet but you still put on a mask. It would be really cool. That's all. Bye!

• Like 7

Actually, this is a great idea that I never thought of for some reason. :beans:

This thread i giving me a search function, so that one day we wont have these terrible mishaps and re-suggesting.

The current ToH Engine wont allow this, someone said on the same subject earlier, oh well.

a simple right click option to "raise hood" for hoodies and raincoats would be simple and cool/immersive.

new animations and textures are required so i don't think we'll see it. as in ever.

this would be a great post-release as part of a clothing mod though.

(i just want the game to release fully moddable so WE can get it right)

All they would have to do is make a hooded model for each coat / jacket and add an option to pull the hood up.

Who needs fancy dancy animations?

Just give the hood.

Shizzle.

• Like 2

All they would have to do is make a hooded model for each coat / jacket and add an option to pull the hood up.

Who needs fancy dancy animations?

Just give the hood.

Shizzle.

there has to be a

"put hands up, grab hood and raise it"

animation

small, simple animation.

you see someone put their hood up in the corner of your eye...

yougonnagetconsidered.jpg

I seen a post on reddit where someone had suggested just what you stated hoods and stuff and he got the answer of hell no. you could try and look it up they stated they would have to remodel the items create new animations etc. sounded complicated though I agree it would've been cool.

I don't think that's the problem. Making animations and another mesh isn't the bother. There is a skeleton, with each body part determined to put equipment on them. Now what you are suggesting is to put an object on both the head and the torso. That creates huge complications since the object moves with the body part that was determined for it. Now this is a game where you can move the head all over the place and the torso has it's fair share of movement as well. If you keep the hoodie only on the torso body part, it will follow body movement regardless where the head is facing and it will have huge clipping with the head for each action, movement, animation, head turn attempted. If you put the hoodie on the head slot, it'll follow head movement but will look way worse, since now floating like a cape or clipping through whole body, ... (this is really obvious but it might need to be mentioned for some)

Ok, so there would be two solutions for this: make a separate hood part and keep the normal hoodie for the torso slot, or manage to make an item that can be linked to both parts of the skeleton and have have an flexible portion that can distort at the neck-line so that the part responds to both movements. The first is obviously not very convincing and will have both clipping and tear at the neck line. Won't look too good. Second is very (way too) fancy and will be very limited by game engine. It will be very hard to set up, simply for a hoodie... It'll never look perfect either unless you make a highly complicated model that will use a lot of processing space...

Now let's look into the idea of putting both a mask and a hoodie. That would work since there is a head slot and a face slot in the skeleton. As you have probably experienced, you can put sunglasses and quiet a few other things under a motorcycle helmet so this idea is already implemented in the game with the current skeleton. The problem would be that you have to be very careful to make masks that fit the face and don't go clipping into the "head" piece of equipment.

I have long thought about this idea. this should happen in the game. I only.

not necessarily do the animation, you can make two kinds of wearing or withdrawn, byloby not bad.

a simple right click option to "raise hood" for hoodies and raincoats would be simple and cool/immersive.

Yeah, this.

--

Nice idea OP.

Edited by Inception.

Now what you are suggesting is to put an object on both the head and the torso. That creates huge complications since the object moves with the body part that was determined for it. Now this is a game where you can move the head all over the place and the torso has it's fair share of movement as well. If you keep the hoodie only on the torso body part, it will follow body movement regardless where the head is facing and it will have huge clipping with the head for each action, movement, animation, head turn attempted. If you put the hoodie on the head slot, it'll follow head movement but will look way worse, since now floating like a cape or clipping through whole body, ... (this is really obvious but it might need to be mentioned for some)

So parent the hoodie to both the head and the body and then lock the head slot after removing any hats that are on the player. I'm sure the Arma 2 engine isn't so limited that it can't do that.

Nice idea, but Rocket has already stated in a Reddit post that this impossible. I'll see if I can dig that post out and put it on here, he did explain the reasons but I can't remember them.

Nice idea, but Rocket has already stated in a Reddit post that this impossible. I'll see if I can dig that post out and put it on here, he did explain the reasons but I can't remember them.

If anyone read i already said it was impossible with the ToH/RV engine

but but this is is highly modded RV2/4 engine!!!

they can't do it?

what in the actual fuck?

it is a simple animation/texture change...

I too would like to see this implemented eventually.  You sir, have my beans!

(Snip) never mind...

have a tutorial video instead of my ranting:

Skeletal animation and skinning is a long process and takes way more than a video to see all aspects so this won't be half of the explanation but be curious, go search for more.

The triangular elements sticking out of the body are parts of the skeleton. They are basically the bones and where they meet is the articulation. You fit slots for the player on this skeleton (on his "bones") The skeleton is then animated and any parts (equipment and clothing) linked to a specific "bone" will move along with it. You need to change skeleton if you want to place equipment in another area (mods exist in skyrim (it's an easy exemple) to change skeleton to be able to put away your daggers, quivers in your back. Don't know if dayz would be able to have a piece of equipment linked to two slots though...

Edited by aknar

Don't know if dayz would be able to have a piece of equipment linked to two slots though...

Don't see why it wouldn't, but then I know very little about DayZ's engine, though I'm slowly forming ideas as to why it's so clunky. A lot of it seems weirdly patched together.

If anyone read i already said it was impossible with the ToH/RV engine

I did read, but people seemed to ignore it. Just like they seemed to ignore it when I re-stated it. Oh well.