SmashT

Do Zombies Dream Of A Good Nights Sleep? (Zombie feedback)

Then why fucking change zombies at all?  Why waist time fucking with broken zombies when they should be working on the core and better zombies? By changing the broken ass zombies at all, they are showing the world...... " look, this is the quality of my work, I think this is better".  Its fucking ridiculous how bad this makes the Dayz project look.  What the fuck is quality control doing over there?

Hello there

Who says they did alter the zeds deliberately? many things are inter connected as well as modular, its could be that an setting was changed which as a side effect altered the zeds, Or perhaps the modular code for the zeds that was dropped into this build was old or had been fiddled with in some way.

You seem to be under the impression a team has been working entirely on the zeds just to "break" your game.

You know that altering one aspect almost always has an effect on another aspect. Why the continual uninformed ranting?

Also, calm down.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

I don't like how the zombies can ruin Pristine condition bullet resistant assault vests in a couple punches.

Its made to be shot by an M4! xD

you shouldnt focus on complaining about zombie's HP or strenght, they're supposed to be this way.

They're broken cause they can walk through walls, spawn above you and will still whack you inventory out with 2 hits. THAT's the bullshit on the story, not their strenght.

Hello there

Who says they did alter the zeds deliberately? many things are inter connected as well as modular, its could be that an setting was changed which as a side effect altered the zeds, Or perhaps the modular code for the zeds that was dropped into this build was old or had been fiddled with in some way.

You seem to be under the impression a team has been working entirely on the zeds just to "break" your game.

You know that altering one aspect almost always has an effect on another aspect. Why the continual uninformed ranting?

Also, calm down.

Rgds

LoK

Im sorry.   I apologize for the cursing.  I will calm down and thanks for not banning me again.   I need to criticize without the rudeness.

Then why fucking change zombies at all?  Why waist time fucking with broken zombies when they should be working on the core and better zombies? By changing the broken ass zombies at all, they are showing the world...... " look, this is the quality of my work, I think this is better".  Its fucking ridiculous how bad this makes the Dayz project look.  What the fuck is quality control doing over there?

Will you please do some research...or at least read ffs...

Ongoing core work...

Direct x 10/11 support

Proper muti-core support

64bit servers

Ongoing zombie work

ENTIRES STUDIO WORTH OF DEVS PUT ON THE JOB

Now with that in mind....what else do you want them to do?....oh wait...you want all the rewards of that investment and work to happen overnight......TOUGH....IT TAKES TIME.

/endrant

They are test zombies they can and are being used to test out different and new things even though they are placeholders.  You might want to consider waiting to play until full release because the development process is hindering you from getting the gameplay experience you want.  

• Like 1

Im sorry.   I apologize for the cursing.  I will calm down and thanks for not banning me again.   I need to criticize without the rudeness.

Hello there

The thing is if you did calm down your posts in general then although you might criticise the game (and we WANT people to) then you would find the majority of folk would be far less combative with you and you would lift yourself above the somewhat trollesque status you now have in many people's minds.

There have been many decisions I myself have not understood in the creation of this game, but the devs and other forum members have made me realise my lack of knowledge and put me on the right path.

I might annoy folk but on the whole I try to be polite and constructive with my critique. Ranting just puts everyone on edge.

Imaging you went into your local store and yelled "Give me some fucking gum! Now!!1! God you are so lazy!". The store owner is not going to be all that pleasant although you may well get your gum.

Ok not a  great analogy but you get the drift.

As Ive said before I hate blind fanboi-ism as much as I hate trolls. Its finding a balance that's key.

Rgds

LoK

They are test zombies they can and are being used to test out different and new things even though they are placeholders.  You might want to consider waiting to play until full release because the development process is hindering you from getting the gameplay experience you want.  

if they were placeholders, they wouldnt need to be worked on as they are right now, would they?

they're said to be placeholders so everybody can have an excuse when someone brings up how broken are they.

if they were really placeholders, they would be left as they are and in some time a completely new AI would be released in its place.

Edited by lipemr

Imaging you went into your local store and yelled "Give me some fucking gum! Now!!1! God you are so lazy!".

I think I might try this. I don't even like gum.

if they were placeholders, they wouldnt need to be worked on as they are right now, would they?

they're said to be placeholders so everybody can have an excuse when someone brings up how broken are they.

if they were really placeholders, they would be left as they are and in some time a completely new AI would be released in its place.

Hello there

Please give me your proof of this scam that Dean is clearly perpetrating in your mind.

Rgds

LoK

Hello there

Please give me your proof of this scam that Dean is clearly perpetrating in your mind.

Rgds

LoK

well, if there was proof, there would be no scam to start with.

There's evidence, a lot of things that lead me to think about the game being a scam. And i'm not even the conspirationist kind of person.

let's start by releasing the game in the time it would make the maximum money possible, and releasing it on its crudest state.

Then putting disclaimers where obviously they wouldnt matter, after all the hype created around standalone, no disclaimer would make people NOT buy it.

They were telling people that the game would go incredibly expensive after some time, that a lot of features would be implemented and you would save money by buying it on launch. That isnt happening at all, is it?

And now the slow developing speed, clearly not matching the schedules of expecting the game to reach beta in early 2015. The game getting more and more broken with each update that comes out. It just creates this feeling that this project is clearly not being well administrated and that dean tried to do more than he's able to by releasing this game.

Edited by lipemr

And now the slow developing speed, clearly not matching the schedules of expecting the game to reach beta in early 2015.

Which is still a year away, for a beta.

The place holders can be used to test gameplay components such as AI coding, clipping, pathfinding, ragdoll, physics etc., even though they are not the final version.  

The zombies aren't just one thing.  They are a combination of many different systems and thousands of lines of code.  Further more they may have tweaked the zeds for nothing related to any of this, but to test other connected systems like the new network messaging system.  Or as Orlok said their behavior changed unexpectedly due to something else they changed.  

The point is that there are many plausible and reasonable explanations for why placeholder zombies change patch-to-patch.  To say they intentionally did it, but for no good reason at all (your assertion) is not reasonable or plausible.  So put your big boy pants on or go play something else for a while.  

Edited by iBane

But core parts of the game have actually gone backwards.  So There is zero evidence the game is on track.   Nothing important to playability, mechanics, AI, networking, etc... Has improved.

well, it's already almost half a year of public alpha and nothing really improved. cheating arrived like a raging bull and  the most basic features and mechanics are still a no-go.

Yes, i'm talking about weapon accuracy mechanics, zombies and desync.

The place holders can be used to test gameplay components such as AI coding, clipping, pathfinding, ragdoll, physics etc., even though they are not the final version.  

The zombies aren't just one thing.  They are a combination of many different systems and thousands of lines of code.  Further more they may have tweaked the zeds for nothing related to any of this, but to test other connected systems like the new network messaging system.  Or as Orlok said their behavior changed unexpectedly due to something else they changed.  

The point is that there are many plausible and reasonable explanations for why placeholder zombies change patch-to-patch.  To say they intentionally did it, but for no good reason at all (your assertion) is not reasonable or plausible.  So put your big boy pants on or go play something else for a while.  

then why do people call them a placeholder instead of a fucking work on progress, that's what they are?

Just cheap excusiness, i guess. The forums are full of it anyway.

then why do people call them a placeholder instead of a fucking work on progress, that's what they are?

Just cheap excusiness, i guess. The forums are full of it anyway.

Think of them as prototype 1.0 zombies if you like that better than "placeholder".  The new studio BI acquired is working on prototype 2.0 with improved pathfinding, improved collision, physics/ragdoll, and I'm sure many other things.  The current zombies are not really W.I.P. because (from my reading of developer comments anyway) they are not working to tweak or improve them.  They are building a new prototype (2.0) basically from scratch and will completely replace the current zombies (prototype 1.0).  

Edited by iBane

The zombies are pretty cool just at the moment

Far more interesting than they were

In 2 days they blunted my axe, ruined my pristine combat vest and damaged the gear in it including my can-opener, RUINED an FNX I was actually shooting a zombie with, broke my leg, made me bleed 4 or 5 times, wore down my pants and RUINED MY BOOTS... I threw the gun and the clothes away - but I don't forgive for the boots.

so in general they are more interesting, I am actually slightly edgy of zombies now.. hmm

This is not to say they are perfect (I didn't, lol). [NO I did NOT say they were perfect, you think I'm CRAZY???]

Would be great to have STEALTH.. if that comes up I'd be pleased

Would also be great to have zombies spawn out of sight and not suddenly in your face hitting you.

And zombies with poor night vision?

But in general, a great improvement.. a good first step towards ZOMBIES... which is what we all want, right?

For NEW PLAYERS: Dont run away from a zomb in a straight line they can hit you from far away, and they can keep pace with you. SO yeah, to get away, keep your hands empty and run like F across the sides of hills, the steeper the better.. keep your angle uphill so you can run full speed, dont slow down, run up in zigzags, turn and run back past the zombs following you, they cant hit you when you're charging past them, however close you pass them at speed, keep speed and zigzags.. then when you have some altitude up the hill run back down the steepest place as fast as possible, in zigzags again if you need too keep top speed.. the zombies that try to follow will often just fall and kill themselves. If it doesn't work the first time, or some are left alive, do it again. You can do it longer than they can.  If you are a newspawn and don't even have an axe, this is THE METHOD

(if you're cunning you can clear all the zombies from a small town this way, then quick loot)  Plenty of steep hills on the coast. And also run further than you think you have to before you bandage. Or just try going upstairs somewhere, you might find you're safe there (or safer). Then run when youi're ready.

Also if you are a newspawn, don't rely on the axe too much, since this patch, unless you feel MEAN and BAD.. I walked up behind a zomb quietly and gave it a definite strike to the head with my fireaxe. Blood cloud came out of the zombies head. Zombie didn't even flinch, just turned round and got mad at me. BUT there are folk say they can kill 10 zombs with an axe and not even get warm, not bleed, and not even blunt the axe... I'd say "Don't Try this At Home" .. but maybe you ought to. You may become a hero too.

Sure I can kill zombs with an axe, but its a fight now and you have to concentrate and keep right on top of them and non-stop keep moving, and if 2 or 3 turn up its NOT as easy as it was. You going to end up tattered and torn, most likely (but I might get better at it). I find the FNX doesn't make too much noise, doesn't attract many. And, hell.. it's easier.. hehe. It's sure Quicker.

I kind of like them, they are just STARTING to be fun.

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 2

well, it's already almost half a year of public alpha and nothing really improved. cheating arrived like a raging bull and  the most basic features and mechanics are still a no-go.

Yes, i'm talking about weapon accuracy mechanics, zombies and desync.

But your original point was that it's unfeasible for them to get on track (even if you consider them "off" track) given the time they've got left. When there's still essentially a year left until the deadline you gave (early 2015).

But your original point was that it's unfeasible for them to get on track (even if you consider them "off" track) given the time they've got left. When there's still essentially a year left until the deadline you gave (early 2015).

so they have 1 year to deploy a feature complete game, where in 5 months they failed to fix simple issues like weapon accuracy and zombies clipping through walls, let alone the desync?

if they can do it all in 1 year, i take off my hat for them.

so they have 1 year to deploy a feature complete game, where in 5 months they failed to fix simple issues like weapon accuracy and zombies clipping through walls, let alone the desync?

if they can do it all in 1 year, i take off my hat for them.

Saying they failed to do so implied that they tried in the first place, were unsuccessful, and are no longer trying something. They're actively working on fixing zombie pathing, along with everything else that's entailed with being a developer.

Equating weapon accuracy (i.e. tweaking a few values in a config file) with zombie pathing (i.e. rendering every single building in the game with a navmesh, plus figuring out a way to include exterior pathing without being performance-heavy) doesn't really make sense. One is a balance issue, and is exponentially simpler than the other.

I'm all for being critical of the developers, and I am frequently. But you yourself said you're not prone to conspiracies, well, that's what you're saying by calling it a "scam." Especially when there's evidence to the contrary.

• Like 1

The zombies are pretty cool just at the moment

Far more interesting than they were

In 2 days they blunted my axe, ruined my pristine combat vest and half the gear in  it, RUINED an FNX I was actually shooting a zombie with, broke my leg, made me bleed 4 or 5 times, wore down my pants and RUINED MY BOOTS... I threw the gun and the clothes away - but I don't forgive for the boots.

so in general they are more interesting, I am actually slightly edgy of zombies now.. hmm

This is not to say they are perfect (I didn't, lol). Would be great to have STEALTH.. if that comes up I'd be pleased

Would also be great to have zombies spawn out of sight and not suddenly in your face hitting you.

And zombies with poor night vision?

But in general, a great improvement.. a good first step towards ZOMBIES... which is what we all want, right?

For NEW PLAYERS: Dont run away from a zomb in a straight line they can hit you from far away, and they can keep pace with you. SO yeah, to get away, keep your hands empty and run like F across the sides of hills, the steeper the better.. keep your angle uphill so you can run full speed, dont slow down, run up in zigzags, turn and run back past the zombs following you, they cant hit you when you're charging past them, however close you pass them at speed, keep speed and zigzags.. then when you have some altitude up the hill run back down the steepest place as fast as possible, in zigzags again if you need too keep top speed.. the zombies that try to follow will often just fall and kill themselves. If it doesn't work the first time, or some are left alive, do it again. You can do it longer than they can.  If you are a newspawn and don't even have an axe, this is THE METHOD

(if you're cunning you can clear all the zombies from a small town this way, then quick loot)  Plenty of steep hills on the coast. And also run further than you think you have to before you bandage. Or just try going upstairs somewhere, you might find you're safe there (or safer). Then run when youi're ready.

Also if you are a newspawn, don't rely on the axe too much, since this patch, unless you feel MEAN and BAD.. I walked up behind a zomb quietly and gave it a definite strike to the head with my fireaxe. Blood cloud came out of the zombies head. Zombie didn't even flinch, just turned round and got mad at me.

Sure I can kill zombs with an axe, but its a fight now and you have to concentrate and keep right on top of them and non-stop keep moving, and if 2 or 3 turn up its NOT as easy as it was. You going to end up tattered and torn, most likely. I find the FNX doesn't make too much noise, doesn't attract many. And, hell.. it's easier.. hehe

I kind of like them, they are just STARTING to be fun.

xx pilgrim

Pretty cool?  Yeah its real cool that just when your are feeling immersed in the apcalyptic open world of DayZ, you are feeling the anxiety of an approaching zed...... You quickly duck into a house..... You guard the door.... You know the exits are covered......... Then the sight of a fucking broken zombie ghosting through a wall rips you right out of the immersive and intense world and further slas you in the face with the shitty and laughable way the zed hits you when its not even facing you....

You think current zombies are cool?  Their latest updates actually magnify their shittyness.

The zombies are not worth their place in the game right now. I find the best policy if you aggro a zombie is just to continue about your business. They don't hit you as long as you keep moving and aren't really careless.

It's not worth fighting them while the melee damage values are so fucked up, and it's not worth wasting ammo on them, given the instant respawn.

Looking forward to improvements! The sooner the better!

Pretty cool?  Yeah its real cool that just when your are feeling immersed in the apcalyptic open world of DayZ, you are feeling the anxiety of an approaching zed...... You quickly duck into a house..... You guard the door.... You know the exits are covered......... Then the sight of a fucking broken zombie ghosting through a wall rips you right out of the immersive and intense world and further slas you in the face with the shitty and laughable way the zed hits you when its not even facing you....

You think current zombies are cool?  Their latest updates actually magnify their shittyness.

Just a note:

Hiding behind a doorpost is a good way of dealing with another player

Hiding behind a doorpost is NOT a good way of dealing with a zombie

(that's the way it is at the moment - I know it's not finished, and all the rest - but for some reason I just LOVE this game)

Hey - maybe ask MetapoliC for some zombie advice - he's a friendly chap and he's been around for a while. He might give you some hints:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/188326-running-from-zeds/#entry1938564

xx

Edited by pilgrim

Greetings

I can wholeheartedly say that I have enjoyed the game until today. The complaint I have is regarding zombies.  Today I was at the Airfeild in the middle of the map. My character was well on its way to 30 days old and was in full pristine gear and well equiped (very well equiped). Hyradted and energized.

I ran into a zombie and dispatched it with my firemans axe.  Three hits. Two to the head. Zero injuries to me, no bleeding, didnt have time to check gear yet.  After this zombies death, another spawned right within striking distance. This is the part that pisses me off... Axe still in Combat mode... zombie not close enough to hit with it yet... and it one hits me dead.

I am of the mind that, a zombie having the capacity to one hit you through full pristine gear and kill you, is probably not working as designed. I understand the game has to have a sense of realism, and the zombies need to be a threat, but realism isnt auto spawning zombies with memories of who killed thier predecessor, and the ability of a zombie to one hit a character to death.

Just my two coppers... I guess now I will tinker around with a new survivor until H1Z1 comes out.  This has soured the whole DAYZ expirience for me.

Thanks for the fun. I hope the game continues to develop well and the bugs work themselves out before the competition puts your player base into recession.

Jungleer