Katana67

The Battle Rifle Thread!

1. I never server hopped.

2. I never duped.

3. Myself and my friends always had a solid stockpile of DMR's.. Always had 1 in my backpack while I carried either an MK Mod 0, or a M16 ACOG.

Your argument is invalid. DMR's were "uncommon".. You could find them in barracks or crash sites, and it took ~1 hour to run to NWAF.. If you had a vehicle or a helicopter it was even easier.

The whole point of the "rarity" argument is that they will actually be "rare" and you won't find one every time you loot the barracks. You're really misunderstanding it.

Edited by Chaingunfighter

1. I never server hopped.

2. I never duped.

3. Myself and my friends always had a solid stockpile of DMR's.. Always had 1 in my backpack while I carried either an MK Mod 0, or a M16 ACOG.

Your argument is invalid. DMR's were "uncommon".. You could find them in barracks or crash sites, and it took ~1 hour to run to NWAF.. If you had a vehicle or a helicopter it was even easier.

then you never played in a true vanilla server.

it's not cause let's say it was common in the mod that weapons in the game will be common. They wont, i hope.

Edited by lipemr

The whole point of the "rarity" argument is that they will actually be "rare" and you won't find one every time you loot the barracks. You're really misunderstanding it.

You didn't find a DMR every time you looted the barracks either... But if you didn't one time, you may another.. The more you play and the more loot spawns you check, it becomes inevitable that you will eventually find one... then another, then another. It's just a matter of odds.

then you never played in a true vanilla server.

it's not cause let's say it was common in the mod that weapons in the game will be common. They wont, i hope.

Actually, 90% of my play time was spent on US264, which was a vanilla server. Again, you're wrong.

DMR 0.90%

Taken from DayZ DB... that's the spawn chance of a DMR in a single placeholder in a single barracks.. There are about 4(?) high value military spawn placeholders in each barracks.

.90 x 4 = 3.6%

There's 2 barracks on the airfield.. 3.6 x 2 = 7.2%

So, each time you looted NWAF, you had about 7.2% chance of finding a DMR. Then consider that there are 3 Helicopter spawns at server restart, and 1 every hour after that.. Consider that Heli spawns usually had ~3? high value military loot placeholders.. And the % chance of one spawning at a heli crash was probably similar to a barracks. 

I think finding a DMR 1 in every 10 loot trips is a pretty conservative estimate.. 

Also, DMR ammo spawned in Ammo boxes, which would sometimes spawn in heli-crashes and barracks.. Which would give you 10 DMR mags.

Then consider that we had helicopters and vehicles and could easily access all of these spawns in a matter of minutes.. Annnd, of course, you could just kill a DMR sniper and take his DMR.

Edited by Etherimp

What battle rifles would you all like to see in Standalone? How would you configure them? What is the rarity you think appropriate for battle rifles? Do you think they should have specific attachments made available?

I stay with FN FAL, that Id like to see SA. I would only configure it with bipod and mybe bayonet. Not sure about scopes, maybe one in server. I liked FALs sights, once I exterminated 50+ zeds in Takistan from 200-300 meters, hill to hill. 

Does Lee Enfield count as battle rifle? Its old enough to find its way to Chernarus in surplus. SVT 40 would be cool too, plenty of ammo and scopes in game now.

You didn't find a DMR every time you looted the barracks either... But if you didn't one time, you may another.. The more you play and the more loot spawns you check, it becomes inevitable that you will eventually find one... then another, then another. It's just a matter of odds.

Actually, 90% of my play time was spent on US264, which was a vanilla server. Again, you're wrong.

Taken from DayZ DB... that's the spawn chance of a DMR in a single placeholder in a single barracks.. There are about 4(?) high value military spawn placeholders in each barracks.

.90 x 4 = 3.6%

So, each time you looted NWAF, you had about 7.2% chance of finding a DMR. Then consider that there are 3 Helicopter spawns at server restart, and 1 every hour after that.. Consider that Heli spawns usually had ~3? high value military loot placeholders.. And the % chance of one spawning at a heli crash was probably similar to a barracks. 

I think finding a DMR 1 in every 10 loot trips is a pretty conservative estimate.. 

Also, DMR ammo spawned in Ammo boxes, which would sometimes spawn in heli-crashes and barracks.. Which would give you 10 DMR mags.

Then consider that we had helicopters and vehicles and could easily access all of these spawns in a matter of minutes.. Annnd, of course, you could just kill a DMR sniper and take his DMR.

your argument start flawed by following dayzDB percentages.

you know that those %s arent legit, right? They're based on player feedback, not the real deal.

your argument start flawed by following dayzDB percentages.

you know that those %s arent legit, right? They're based on player feedback, not the real deal.

And where did you get this information? 

AFAIK, the %'s are taken from the game files. Even if they're slightly off, that doesn't change the fact that DMR's were not difficult to find, and it wasn't because people were duping.

• Like 1

guns guns guns bloody guns.... i know this is a thread about MOAR GUNZ but let me reign it in a little with my own preference, personally i would like to see more crafting, more makeshift weaponry and like a few guns at best available (namely as suggested guns more localized to the european area as the "less rare" variants, with some more western european as "medium to rare" and then maybe like 5-10 guns per server that were really out of place like a high calibre US forces rifle or something)

You have to bare in mind that in an outbreak scenario, UK and US are gonna jump up and down and claim they can solve everything by killing everyone involved, (as we usually suggest) so would of sent in the troops to try to "cleanse" the situation etc, but i really think the game would benefit more from less gun play and more from real survivor type skirmish battles. I mean come on man, ok a load of you guys in this thread are gun enthusiasts (clearly from the knowledge a few of you seem to have of weaponry, ammunition, rail mountings and all that crap) but thankfully in the population at large gun enthusiasts are a minority. in a post apocalyptic scenario such as the game setting, most ammo would already of been spent by the soldiers who bought the weaponry from whichever country to the area anyway, and there certainly wouldnt be loads of ammo lying around in the native military bases for guns from outside of the area... i mean shit, if you gave me a real gun, and then a fuck load of attatchments, only say 2 out of 10 could actually be mounted to said gun, i would have no idea which was which and also no idea how to mount or unmount them or what not, so i would have to spend a fair amount of time just trying each one by error and figuring it out by thread alignment and trial and error

In a zombie apocalypse/ 28 days later infected scenario, im more likely to not give two shits about guns and look for things i can rely on to not break misfire or need much maintenance to keep me alive (like an axe, some make shift explosives like molotovs and so on and any kind of high ground i could barricade myself into) i know ill probably get rimmed in here for saying this but seriously i would rather see scavenging and crafting embelished on far far more than amounts and scarcity of weapons. Sure you gun lot will be all like wheres this gun and that ammo and this scope blah blah but in reality, this game is set in mid to eastern europe, where basically the worst quality guns seem to be in mass production and places like america and UK have a lot less sway to just c ome in and "save the day" like they do in arab nations which are vastly supplioed by places like eastern europe with dated hardware like old skool rpgs and ak guns.

Call me a purist but id much rather have to spend hours searching for many many many materials just to create make shift items like bow and arrows and maybe even some form of hand made guns (like the kids in favella learn to make before they learn to sell cocaine to europeans). i really reeeeally reeeeeeeeeally get my back up when i see people talking about all these silly things to do with guns when in a game that is going to try to turn its self toward realism may en d up with just, spawn in, run to gun spawn, get gun, run back to spawn points kill new spawns for pants and lulz.

Imagine this, you spawned in all veteran mind set, and it took you over 3 hours of gameplay to have even half the materials you need to A) survive

B) defend yourself from potential (human and zombie/infected) threats

C) maintain said means of defense.

i mean seriously even in zombie films or infected films, very rarely do you see anyone armed with semi automatics (except in stupid american films set in stupid america where kids get gun licenses before they can talk) usually you see many instances of people struggling to fight of swarms of zeds with literally no weapons and a locked door. granted we dont want a game where end game is run into building, barricade door and eventually die of starvation but seriously, this game has so much survival bushcraft potential and i think it should head down that route more than how many attatchments can it get in to make guns have more versatility, and if im honest i think dean hall would agree with me on these points, which would be why he mentioned the ability to farm and so on being implemented, along with the whole crafting system being totally worked on a lot and also why there already is a very sparse selection of guns in game anyway. in the mod, u know what i did, i fucked up people with axes and the crossbow, you know why, cos it felt a lot more like i achieved something and that the other player felt they had been outplayed than they died and barely even heard the gun shots before the got hit from over half a mile away.

forgive me for rant, but i think you can all agree actually these points are totally valid (maybe not totally on topic to OP's post) but nevertheless, i think it is something that we need to think about when looking at the setting of the game and the realism aspect of gameplay, the game barely has an instruction manual, so most people finding all these gun attatchements and gun variants would be totally lost if they had to figure out which bit goes on which gun and which ammo was applicable to said gun.

Basically fuck guns, give me stealthy alternatives and good melee and i will be that one you heard a story about how some mysterious guy took out your friend with a single melee blow to the back while he was hunting people for sport on the coast or who bravely took on your pal who was armed to the teeth with silent semi auto guns that were rare as fuck yet some how sneaked up on him and killed him with a swift single cross bow bolt to the neck  from a better vantage point etc...

sorry for rant, but just woke up and think these points are relevant in a thread like this

crafting and realism for the win. most people in real life couldnt fire a gun with any degree of accuracy without many months of practice etc. where most people would know how to run and hide for their life and use whatever they could find in and around abandoned homes to defend themselves

• Like 2

.90 x 4 = 3.6%

True, that is how probability works.

However DMRs were way too common in the mod, but I feel this had something to do with the lack of overall weapons they could use, since they relied mainly on vanilla weapons. Obviously the spawn rates could use some tweaking, but I still would rather have variety then find an individual weapon every time.

More overall weapons = less overall chance of finding a specific one. Thus the individual chance of finding a specific gun that you wanted would be lower whilst the chance of finding a gun could be tweaked at the dev's will.

Edited by Chaingunfighter

You have a point Ninja. But it won't happen, I liked the tactical side of DayZ, but I also want a more survivalists kind of DayZ. I'm all for a deep weapon maintenance system to really make having a gun a prize. 

DayZ needs to really get it's identity straight. I like guns, but I also want cool weapons that require effort to maintain and use but finding what gun you want shouldn't be the endgame.

More guns with a deeper maintenance system and a stronger focus on a survivors mentality.

On topic, M14 Plox.

• Like 2

You have a point Ninja. But it won't happen, I liked the tactical side of DayZ, but I also want a more survivalists kind of DayZ. I'm all for a deep weapon maintenance system to really make having a gun a prize. 

DayZ needs to really get it's identity straight. I like guns, but I also want cool weapons that require effort to maintain and use but finding what gun you want shouldn't be the endgame.

More guns with a deeper maintenance system and a stronger focus on a survivors mentality.

On topic, M14 Plox.

Well im not so sure it wont happen to be fair, i really think if many gun variants were going to end up in game, then we would of had a much wider range to start with. i think the fact that also survival and crafting is much more the importance of the first set of patches incoming sets the tone for what rocket will be directing his teams to work on. glad at least someone agrees with my sentiments for me the whole draw to dayz was the fact it was an army sim mod, that stripped away most of its original engines core mechanics and made surviving with fuck all its main premise. the fact the zombie crybaby inducing patch was centred around making the use of firearms almost impossible on zombie clearing and also made zombies almost as much of a threat as (arseholes with a very narrow sense of "humor") means good things to come in my view. having lots of guns and variants in ammo and so on and so forth will no doubt push the KOS mentality up into the stratosphere as you are more inclined to kill any player you encounter on the off chance he has one item on him that could make your weapon of choice better and/or also may of collected a type of ammo you needed to use said gun. where in if you have an axe and a knife and this allows you to make many types of defenses and makeshift weaponry from the environment you will in fact have the upper hand on gun wielding plonkers in terms of most aspects of the game

E.g Gun can be used for killing person who may have some loot of use to you or may pose a threat, axe has same potential (granted with a much higher risk rate and infinitely shorter range) BUT, big but here, axe also if survival etc is implemented properly has multi purpose (open food tins, cut down other environmental surroundings to create ranged silent weapons, can be used to mooch through towns without alerting any zombies or players AND can be painted in green now (god thanks you rocket lol) also needs no ammo, also seems to be unnaffected by damaged status (havent used a ruined axe yet) in terms of ability to one hit kill anything that moves in game. i personally have found just having a fire arm maximises your likelihood to get killed by other players (even unarmed freshies) as with a gun you are considered a threat by anyone who sees you before you see them, where as players who see another player without a gun may even be nice to you and so on. all in all i pray to the demi gods for as little focus on guns as possible and as much on real terms survival. you cant eat bullets although yes you can eat other players loot when you kill them, but not when shooting anyone results in zombie rape (granted when suppressors fixed i will have SOME use for guns for defense purposes only) but i would hope even then that suppressed guns can still alert nearby zeds as opposed to not in the slightest.

chance is a fine thing, but i think rockets idea of the game is more down the vision of this than the gun wielding kos bandit mentality of a lot of the newer playerbase (who didnt read the disclaimer before purchase either and dont know what feedback means) lol

Guns and an emphasis on survival mechanics aren't diametrically opposed concepts. We can have both.

Battle rifles anybody?

• Like 1

So would the HK417 be considered a battle rifle since it fires 7.62mmX51mm? and i want the IMI Galil chambered in 7.62mmX51mm cause so badasss. Galils are just so goood.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyLKPB-H4proUjt8S-FfqQGhUxJDlbsP_LBfMcMctqhh-FDPz7

Galil Sniper/DMR anyone?

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRC0JZao0H_xkT4sa_5l1F5phAzdesmA4wP8ityWs30EWqePVcUMw

Edited by DURRHUNTER

Guns and an emphasis on survival mechanics aren't diametrically opposed concepts. We can have both.

Battle rifles anybody?

not suggesting they are opposed, just that makeshift weapons are more realistic in the setting, that is the main premise, for me a gun is a gun, battle rifle or otherwise, where as lots of interesting crafting recipes to create weapon alternatives seems a lot more fun to have in game, given the premise of the setting. as for rifles etc i think at best the most powerful guns in the game available should be things like the cz550 from the mod and other similair hunting rifles, and that military weapons should be very and i mean like a maximum of 10 per server VERY limited with next to no chance to spawn. any military rifles that are in game also then should refelct location ie russian and eastern european military not m4's and m16's, personally anyway.

i mean seriously given the last 100 years of history between america and russia, its very unlikely that america would be the first on the scene to save any one from a viral outbreak of the games setting before the russians and surrounding countries armies. if people go down the "realism" route, then this point is especially relevant, sorry dude n ot trying to take the topic off point, its just your thread has highlighted one issue about the direction the game could head in and that is any kind of emphasis in to the military weaponry, that by all means would be nowhere near a soviet state like the one in game. i think the game would be a lot more dynamic if to kill players you had to be in mainly melee situations and that ranged combat was as small a part of the game as possibleif anything i think you would find a lot more "civilian" weaponry like farming shotguns and hunting rifles than any kind of gun that could be considered OP in comparrison

So would the HK417 be considered a battle rifle since it fires 7.62mmX51mm? and i want the IMI Galil chambered in 7.62mmX51mm cause so badasss. Galils are just so goood.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyLKPB-H4proUjt8S-FfqQGhUxJDlbsP_LBfMcMctqhh-FDPz7

Galil Sniper/DMR anyone?

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRC0JZao0H_xkT4sa_5l1F5phAzdesmA4wP8ityWs30EWqePVcUMw

xD

• Like 1

Durrhunter, why is your post so fucked up on my screen?

but when i quote you, it's OK ;)

Galil Sniper/DMR anyone?

Durrhunter, why is your post so fucked up on my screen?

but when i quote you, it's OK ;)

Dude i was edditing and that stuff came up when i pasted a link XD

not suggesting they are opposed, just that makeshift weapons are more realistic in the setting, that is the main premise, for me a gun is a gun, battle rifle or otherwise, where as lots of interesting crafting recipes to create weapon alternatives seems a lot more fun to have in game, given the premise of the setting. as for rifles etc i think at best the most powerful guns in the game available should be things like the cz550 from the mod and other similair hunting rifles, and that military weapons should be very and i mean like a maximum of 10 per server VERY limited with next to no chance to spawn. any military rifles that are in game also then should refelct location ie russian and eastern european military not m4's and m16's, personally anyway.

i mean seriously given the last 100 years of history between america and russia, its very unlikely that america would be the first on the scene to save any one from a viral outbreak of the games setting before the russians and surrounding countries armies. if people go down the "realism" route, then this point is especially relevant, sorry dude n ot trying to take the topic off point, its just your thread has highlighted one issue about the direction the game could head in and that is any kind of emphasis in to the military weaponry, that by all means would be nowhere near a soviet state like the one in game. i think the game would be a lot more dynamic if to kill players you had to be in mainly melee situations and that ranged combat was as small a part of the game as possibleif anything i think you would find a lot more "civilian" weaponry like farming shotguns and hunting rifles than any kind of gun that could be considered OP in comparrison

Not 100% sure, but I think that in the dayz lore, the UN or some European country came over the help, but could not stop the spread of the infection. I suppose this could mean that some m4s/USP's could be left behind (European weapons).

I get your point of view, I'm just not sure as to why one has to overshadow the other. We can have both take prominent roles, through varying approaches, like rarity of loot as you, I, and others propose.

I've spent my entire post history refuting the assumption that Chernarus is somehow only concerned with Eastern Bloc or Warsaw Pact weapons.

- Chernarus is based on the Czech Republic, specifically Bohemia. In the real world, the Czech Military (ACR) uses a variety of weapons. AR-15's, Mk 48, M249, and M60 are amongst a few of the "Western" weapons used by the ACR, in addition to their Czech-made weapons. There are also many former Soviet states which use NATO weaponry extensively. However, real-world circumstance cannot be used as the sole yardstick for DayZ. See below.

- The USMC, UN, and/or NATO forces are incorporated into the Armaverse, the fictional universe in which DayZ is also incorporated. It is therefore plausible that their weapons are to be found in Chernarus. The USMC intervened in Chernarus, as well as the Army in Takistan (which shares a border with Chernarus).

- Chernarus is a fictional country, with fictional circumstances being applied to it (i.e. a zombie apocalypse). This therefore gives the developers creative license to incorporate weapons which may be uncommon in Eastern Bloc or former-Soviet states.

- Black-market weapons sales are prevalent in failed states, or even modern Eastern Bloc states. For example Anders Behring Brevik (sp?) attempted to purchase the weapons he used for the "Utoya massacre" in Prague, the city in which BIS is based. Chinese Anti-materiel rifles can be found in Syria. High-speed-low-drag AR-15's can be found in Libya, Lebanon, and Syria. Russia makes use of expensive "Western" optics on many of their weapons now, like EOTechs and SpecterDRs. Hell, there's even some pictures coming out of Ukraine with Russian soldiers using AR-15's! Brand new FN2000's with GL's can be found from Libya to Gaza. There is no hard divide between NATO/Warsaw Pact weapons anymore in the real world. The case is even moreso in fictional Chernarus.

Succinctly, Warsaw Pact weapons should be common. NATO weapons should be uncommon and specifically looted (i.e. barracks) in Chernarus. Not gone. Not hyper-rare as to be essentially not there.

Either way, if you consider a "realistic" approach or a "fictional" approach, the presence of NATO weaponry is provided for.

With that said, I agree with you that "improvised" weapons should have a role. But I'm not sure it should be the only role, or even a primary role. They can exist in a dualistic or trinary sense with looted weapons and melee weapons. I say this because I am absolutely sick and tired of idiotic Romero zombie tropes and Dead Island approaches which only focus on melee weapons. I'd actually posit that zombie video games/lore are two topics which are HEAVILY biased towards the use of melee weapons. I don't want DayZ to be a dick-swinging flamethrowing chainsaw zombie game (not saying that's what you're saying). I want it to be a prudent and visceral experience where efficiency is king and survival is god.

People always decry the "tactical" aspect of DayZ, as if it's been overdone. Yet, I cannot think of one single zombie game (save games that followed DayZ) which placed an emphasis on "tactical" weapons and attachments.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2

Galil Sniper/DMR anyone?

Absolutely, HK417 is definitely a battle rifle. Same with the Galatz (7.62 Galil). I always liked the Galatz.

i just hope to see the Vintorez one day...more useful than SVD in dayz, IMO.

one can only hope.

You do know how many countries use that weapon right? And that only VDV (rarely and only some units) and special forces use it?

You do know how many countries use that weapon right? And that only VDV (rarely and only some units) and special forces use it?

Yea but you would be way way way way more likely to find the Vintorez in Chenarus as opposed to say an Scar H or some of the other weapons suggested here that are either no longer used by western nations or extremely rare and expensive western weapons that little to no people own.

Folks here's a list of former Soviet nations and/or Eastern European states that now use NATO weaponry. Not that the "realism" argument is one I endorse in the first place. Chernarus is fictional.

- Germany (previously divided into West and Soviet-controlled East Germany)

isaf_92vdr_4g-tfb.jpg

- Czech Republic

falcon001.jpg

- Estonia

tumblr_mz381dVrz71sp4nu5o1_1280.jpg

- Lithuania

Lithuania-military-Photo-courtesy-of-the

- Georgia

400px-thumbnail.jpg

- Poland

20k0me.jpg

- Slovakia
Slovak_Army_5th_Special_Forces_Regiment_

- Latvia

800px-Latvian_G36KV.JPEG

- Serbia

650x531x22.jpg.pagespeed.ic.fhJGOgV7bH.j

- Croatia

85122109.jpg

EDIT - Oh, and here's a supposed Russian soldier (I suspect he's some sort of contractor though) using an AR-15 in the current Crimean crisis

AR-10.jpg

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2

Folks here's a list of former Soviet nations and/or Eastern European states that now use NATO weaponry. Not that the "realism" argument is one I endorse in the first place. Chernarus is fictional.

Some NATO weapons are inevitable and many are appropriate.

The thing is they don't use all of them at the same time. They might use M4s to special forces, or they might use G36 to front line troops while keeping the Kalashnikovs in reserve, but no country on earth issues a potpourri of G36s, SCARs, FAMAS, SA80s, HK416s, Galils, Bushmaster ACRs and M14 EBRs.

Some people want each and every one of those weapons in the game - I would consider that to show carelessness and a lack of quality and focus on the part of the devs.

Some people would consider that fun - I call it a clusterfuck.

• Like 2

Some NATO weapons are inevitable and many are appropriate.

Some people want each and every one of those weapons in the game - I would consider that to show carelessness and a lack of quality and focus on the part of the devs.

I'm not suggesting all of these weapons should be included. I'm using it as evidence that post-Soviet =/= Kalashnikov.

I'm not sure I would call it "carelessness" or a "lack of quality" if they included a variety of weapons. They already sort of have anyhow.

Lithuania has a supposed supply of 40,000 M14's. Fun fact! :D

Edited by Katana67

They already sort of have anyhow.

Yes, yes they have.

A G3 and FN FAL would do nicely. Both saw use in the Balkans.

• Like 1