Katana67

The Battle Rifle Thread!

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

I'm in favor of adding weapons like the SCAR as well. Just not as a common occurance, hence why I slotted it into my "Very Rare" category above.

I'm trying to say, reality, as far as I can tell, in the armaverse, has the SCAR as the primary rifle of the US military. I don't know the last time the US was sticking their nose in Chernarus, but with all the humvees I see, I have to guess their presence there was quite recent, and as such, logically, the rifle they would have been using in the armaverse would have been the SCAR. So the SCAR should arguably be more common than the m4. 

I'd just like the internal rules of the universe to be consistent.

I'm trying to say, reality, as far as I can tell, in the armaverse, has the SCAR as the primary rifle of the US military. I don't know the last time the US was sticking their nose in Chernarus, but with all the humvees I see, I have to guess their presence there was quite recent, and as such, logically, the rifle they would have been using in the armaverse would have been the SCAR. So the SCAR should arguably be more common than the m4. 

I'd just like the internal rules of the universe to be consistent.

Right, but as I said before, that assertion assumes DayZ is in the Armaverse. Which I would assert it is (based solely on the fact that it's using Chernarus as a backdrop). But we've received no confirmation from the developers, to my knowledge, that DayZ is a part of the Armaverse.

EDIT - Since I wrote this, we have received confirmation of the relative background of DayZ (see my signature).

Edited by Katana67

Question - Are we assuming that the PSO scope available to the AKM will be the same available to the SVD? Or will the SVD PSO have higher magnification? I haven't got my hands on the PSO in-game, but it appears to be more reminiscent of the LRS vice an ACOG. Or, do you think we'll be able to mount the LRS to the SVD instead?

Edited by Katana67

As long as they fix it, I'm all for it.

Question - Are we assuming that the PSO scope available to the AKM will be the same available to the SVD? Or will the SVD PSO have higher magnification? I haven't got my hands on the PSO in-game, but it appears to be more reminiscent of the LRS vice an ACOG. Or, do you think we'll be able to mount the LRS to the SVD instead?

nyg05LL.jpg

seems its the same scope for both .

In real life they used two different scopes.

This is the reticle for the ak one.

400-3_1.jpg

file_2_4_1.jpg

seems its the same scope for both .

In real life they used two different scopes.

This is the reticle for the ak one.

There are PSO scopes with higher than 4x magnification as well, and I'd've thought they'd've wanted that (assuming that the PSO is actually 4x in-game). Perhaps it's a good way of making the SVD less of a death-dealer, by limiting the optics available to it. That and the AK and SVD require different mounts (although there are universal mounts out there), but that's a non-issue.

But it's just odd that the ACOG is rendered in either 3D or psuedo-3D whereas the PSO is rendered like the LRS (i.e. with a black-bordered 2D sight picture). I don't mind it either way, but it's just an odd discrepancy.

I wouldn't necessarily mind it if the LRS were able to be mounted to the SVD, but I just found the PSO in-game a bit odd.

There are PSO scopes with higher than 4x magnification as well, and I'd've thought they'd've wanted that (assuming that the PSO is actually 4x in-game). Perhaps it's a good way of making the SVD less of a death-dealer, by limiting the optics available to it. That and the AK and SVD require different mounts (although there are universal mounts out there), but that's a non-issue.

But it's just odd that the ACOG is rendered in either 3D or psuedo-3D whereas the PSO is rendered like the LRS (i.e. with a black-bordered 2D sight picture). I don't mind it either way, but it's just an odd discrepancy.

I wouldn't necessarily mind it if the LRS were able to be mounted to the SVD, but I just found the PSO in-game a bit odd.

Acog is pretty useless since its rendered in 3d.

Any optic with magnification I think should be in rendered in 2d.  Makes the optic far more useable.

eww at Modern optics on the SVD its bad enough on the mosin.

Edited by gibonez

I'm nearly certain I saw them mention before that they intend to make all the scopes 3d eventually.  I think they were trying to decide on whether to do picture in picture or not or something.  So it's likely placeholder really.

I'm nearly certain I saw them mention before that they intend to make all the scopes 3d eventually.  I think they were trying to decide on whether to do picture in picture or not or something.  So it's likely placeholder really.

I can imagine the frame rate loss already.

I'm curious about this discussion about "reality". Is there any official narrative about what actually happened in Chernarus? Do we even know where in Russia it is located? Close to Europe or far from it etc.

I'm curious about this discussion about "reality". Is there any official narrative about what actually happened in Chernarus? Do we even know where in Russia it is located? Close to Europe or far from it etc.

Well, Chernarus isn't in Russia. It isn't a part of Russia. And bear in mind, we're only playing in the eastern "South Zagoria" region of Chernarus. In order to actually render the whole of Chernarus, the map would have to increase by a factor of anywhere between 8 and 16.

QomProvince.png

The official narrative is somewhat outlined in my signature. They're acknowledging the history of ARMA II in Chernarus+ whereby there was a NATO/UN intervention prior to DayZ.

However, this narrative (as used by Chris Torchia) isn't explicitly relevant either. They're adding whatever weapons they want, is more or less what he wanted to be taken away from the quote in my sig.

Even if "reality" is adhered to, many real post-Soviet nations use a variety of weapons. There's no monolithic "bloc" of countries anymore that only uses X, we live in a globalized society.

All i want is an early G3 varient eg;

weap-g3sg1_03.jpg

This one is the A2 i believe, mounted with a scope :D

• Like 1

All i want is an early G3 varient eg;

This one is the A2 i believe, mounted with a scope :D

Looks like a G3SG/1

H%26KSG1.jpg

Definitely needs to be in, moar Battle Rifles Torchia!