Pokerguy12

Go to the forest of trees

There is absolutely no incentive in the game attracting players to explore and survive in the forests while staying away from the coast, towns and airfields (bandits, zombies, other players).

The geography of Chernarus plus is composed of more than 75% wilderness and isolated areas; forests, fields, clearings, creeks, dams, hills, power stations, radio towers, deerstands, crash sites.

It seems such a waste of map design effort when 90% of players in a server are AT ALL TIMES concentrated along the coast or at the airfields.

Have a look at some images for a fresh visual perspective:

2013011400004nl00.jpg

Deer_Stand.jpg

dayz-beautiful-dayz-forest.jpg

2012-07-26_00018.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ive had some ideas bubbling in my head how something like this would work:

1. Design loot for creating/constructing campsites in the wilderness. Create new camping gear that serves the functions their real life counterparts do. Sleeping bags, Camping chairs, Fireplaces, Tents, Floor lamps, Portable Radio, Fishing rods, camping tents for protecting you from the rain and NOT STORING LOOT. Let us fold or roll up the equipment and strap it to our backs then we can carry it around and set up a campsite where we like.

2. Place more loot spawn in forest/wilderness areas. Currently the only lootspawn for such places in the deerstand and the helicopter crash. Could we have abandoned shacks? bus stops along the roads that go deep into the mainland? underneath bridges? along power stations or ontop radio towers? Riverside fishing spots? Picking fruits and berries off trees?

3. Turning the radio/walkie-talkie into "very common" loot and encouraging its use, this brings players closer together by introducing a long range method of communication everyone has easy access to. It will be the first thing survivors acquire and actively pay attention to in the event of a real life apocalypse.

This not only adds fun to the experience by meeting up with other survivors to help/kill them in the wilderness or tracking down a group by their radio transmissions as a bandit. Campsites will have visitors and can even function as makeshift survivor first-aid stations, a features sure to be popular among hero clans. Set up a free meal center in the woods for starving people.

4. Create another category of loot. "Wilderness". With newly designed loot spawn areas placed at remote wilderness locations, surviving in the wilderness is surely transform into a more feasible and exciting experience and playstyle. Wilderness loot spawns spawns equipment and gear needed for survival: knives for skinning meat, sleeping bags, tents, hunting weapons, fire starters, special waterproof clothes, lamps for night time, fishing/cooking equipment, bottles and drinks, first aid, battries, map of central charnarus, compass/watch, etc.....

5. LOTS AND LOTS MORE CRAFTING RECEPIES and more types of items. Dont really know what to say here, survival skills involve the handling of resources and items to be transformed into something that serves a purpose that it wouldn't normally be able to without a survivor's manipulation. Sorry bad english, not sure how to express this concept in words. Oh and animals, nests and sleeping grounds.

Edited by Pokerguy10
  • Like 25

This is the focus of the next patch, and will continue to be worked on after that. This is what I'm most looking forward to...being able to escape into the woods and survive off the land with as little gear as possible.

• Like 6

wait for hunting and cooking and tents/boxes

I'm all set with loot spawning in the middle of woods so you people who think you're pro at the game by hiding as far away from the closest building as you can possibly get and be near water on empty servers get less bored doing so.

I live in one of the most forested areas of the world ... I can't go out into the never been settled woods behind my house and find an assault rifle, a fresh bag of rice, and a can of soda laying on the ground. You know what's out there ... trees, rocks, animals, and very rarely .. wait for it .. tree stands ... that's it. There's already enough random little shacks around the woods there has been since the mod.

/thread

Edited by Weedz
  • Like 1

This is the focus of the next patch, and will continue to be worked on after that. This is what I'm most looking forward to...being able to escape into the woods and survive off the land with as little gear as possible.

Said it perfectly.

Not that I don't like human interaction, but that being the only source of fun in DayZ atm gets old. Losing yourself in the wilderness to survive will be refreshingly new.

• Like 1

The way they have the map laid out, eventually there will basically be a huge ring of towns and cities and places to loot all along the coast and going in a big giant circle, almost as if the entire map was a "coast" along the edges. There are roads and places for cities set down already, and you can see where they are going with it. Once that is fleshed out, it will be amazing.. people will be and could be everywhere.. no matter if they are new or experienced, geared or not. 

Also, hunting, cooking.. predator/prey animals, companion animals, persistent containers.. all are coming very soon

M4s, Mosins, clips, ammunition, and utility vests dont grow on trees. And if they did in Dayz it wouldn't be very realistic. You arent going to keep people away from the coast. Upon spawning you need to hit a supermarket because you need food to travel anywhere. And to survive you need weapons. To have fun playing with your clan you need gear. all this is found in cities and bases.

I like the effort, but I think that it eventually boils down to play styles and preferences of the players. If people would enjoy virtual camping in virtual forests, we'd see more of it happening in the game already. Problem is, people don't seem to enjoy it as much as they like the action / player interaction provided by the coastal hotspots, military bases, airfields etc. Kinda makes sense tho, isn't that to some degree the reason we play multiplayer games - to interact with other players? Of course it has to do with the way the game is set up currently, it offering mainly the PvP aspect for end game activity (it's alpha so yeah).

I'm with you on making the game more diversified, as in bringing more action outside the coast - the game could allow for various play styles as there are different players out there. I'm not sure if the suggested ideas promote this however, introducing more loot to wilderness for instance would in my opinion not change things much. Maybe if sleeping was necessary for survival, then people would find real use for woods and camping. Say your character would always be on the map when you log off as if sleeping, or for 2 hours at least, so that logging off becomes a tactical thing. I'm all for hearing more ideas that promote wilderness use, maybe we'll get more of them in this thread or others. I also haven't played the mod, so maybe a few vets could chip in on how it used to be in the good old DayZ ;)

I like the effort, but I think that it eventually boils down to play styles and preferences of the players. If people would enjoy virtual camping in virtual forests, we'd see more of it happening in the game already. Problem is, people don't seem to enjoy it as much as they like the action / player interaction provided by the coastal hotspots, military bases, airfields etc. Kinda makes sense tho, isn't that to some degree the reason we play multiplayer games - to interact with other players? Of course it has to do with the way the game is set up currently, it offering mainly the PvP aspect for end game activity (it's alpha so yeah).

I'm with you on making the game more diversified, as in bringing more action outside the coast - the game could allow for various play styles as there are different players out there. I'm not sure if the suggested ideas promote this however, introducing more loot to wilderness for instance would in my opinion not change things much. Maybe if sleeping was necessary for survival, then people would find real use for woods and camping. Say your character would always be on the map when you log off as if sleeping, or for 2 hours at least, so that logging off becomes a tactical thing. I'm all for hearing more ideas that promote wilderness use, maybe we'll get more of them in this thread or others. I also haven't played the mod, so maybe a few vets could chip in on how it used to be in the good old DayZ ;)

Fill the coast and towns with so many zombies that it becomes near impossible to loot without the help of a group, while keeping the zed population in the wilderness relatively lower. There we go. 

As a matter of fact back in the mod days of 2012, i did do spend alot of my time alone in the forests with my camping gear on full servers hoping to meet a fellow survivor. Want to know how it went? HORRIBLE, nothing happened for hours and hours. It's just tree after tree after tree with nothing to do or places to explore, good thing i had a gps or else i would have been entirely lost. I think there's alot of potential for this type of gameplay style to be a real gem, camping and exploring in the wilderness, just that the studio has not reached the stage where they can devote their attention to it when many other crucial areas are staggeringly flawed and generally have not been designed to completion. I hope they get to it someday SOON though, honestly they made roughly $30Mil in early access sales, why the fuck haven't they hired more studio manpower.

Edited by Pokerguy10

once the full extent of hunting and cooking is in people will only go to towns and cities for cooking supplies and a starter weapon.

just like the mod.

I hope they get to it someday SOON though, honestly they made roughly $30Mil in early access sales, why the fuck haven't they hired more studio manpower.

They have actually hired an entire new team devoted to this. Some of them previously worked on hunting games and are working specifically on the animal AI to make it realistic. Just because it isn't ready just yet doesn't mean they aren't hard at work on it. You have to keep in mind that hiring new staff and training them to program using the RV engine takes time.

• Like 1

They have actually hired an entire new team devoted to this. Some of them previously worked on hunting games and are working specifically on the animal AI to make it realistic. Just because it isn't ready just yet doesn't mean they aren't hard at work on it. You have to keep in mind that hiring new staff and training them to program using the RV engine takes time.

They are making the profits of a AAA game design studio. Their team size should be 5 times what it is with a whole council of senior staff leading the project not just 1 dean hall.

They are making the profits of a AAA game design studio. Their team size should be 5 times what it is with a whole council of senior staff leading the project not just 1 dean hall.

Huge dev teams are unmanageable and destroy development projects. 1 Dean Hall is what invented DayZ that's all I need.

Edited by Weedz
  • Like 1

Is this suggestion for DayZ retail or DayZ mod?

forest and wilderness is great with nothing much happen there :)

this reflect reality if you looking on map is town and village but all around is nothing only farm and forest and wilderness places

also when more survival system coming and also hunting etc this will be enough

I like simple fact that there is area where is ok for going and relax for heal etc

example I was in gun fight with 2 guys in berezino :rolleyes:

I win but they shoot me also zombie hit me and I having no bandage so I was very close to die :|

after 30 minute I finding food and some vitamin also painkiller and water bottle and I going to forest

there is quiet place I going there is stream for drink and nobody coming ;)

I spend maybe 2 hour just recover eat slow drink slow take the vitamin and wait for health to return

was very relax time peace and quietness all around

this giving real contrast when I returning to berezino for action fun times :thumbsup:  :ph34r:

Edited by KoS
  • Like 4

if the wilderness has more unique areas and things to interact with like hunting and simple crafting/gathering that are area specific

that would be a huge incentive to explore

• Like 1

I don't like the idea of having a separate category for loot to spawn in the Wilderness.

For one, there isn't much Wilderness left. Or at least there won't be when the map is finished. Which is a shame.

Second, because of that, the towns/villages are in close proximity to what is now Wilderness.

Not sure what the issue is with tents not storing loot. I'd be much more inclined to camp out in the woods if I could store things (which, granted, could be accomplished through a variety of ways). However, I'd love to see something like a small garden (which would be persistent) that'd be creatable by the player, which he/she could plant, tend to, and reap over time. That's one thing that I always wanted in terms of the Wilderness, a reason to keep going back.

• Like 2

I don't like the idea of having a separate category for loot to spawn in the Wilderness.

For one, there isn't much Wilderness left. Or at least there won't be when the map is finished. Which is a shame.

dude look at cherno+ map right now.

those new roads and little blips? mostly in the north west?

yeah. that's all thats going to be added.

the near 90% wilderness is still going to be there.

the half dozen small towns peppering the north and north west are literally nothing/

Maybe we could spawn there, instead of the coast. Or both, then if the map was a big circle of towns and cities, like in irish's post, we could spawn all along the wooded area on the north and west edges. Might be fun to have to beat some prey animals down with your bare hands, eat raw meat and drink from ponds/streams at the start. Then when you finaly leave the woods and find civilisation, all that awaits is zombies lol. Instead of spawning right next to buildings and a solid coastline for orientation :)

the half dozen small towns peppering the north and north west are literally nothing/

Yeah this. Pretty much everything new they are adding is in the new expanded north which wasn't even part of the map in the Mod it was debug island.

The area that was once wooded wilderness is now fields, not mountainous woods. I've been up north a lot, the treeline has been forced toward the edge of the map dramatically. The western side is fairing better than the northern side.

Likewise, the northern areas are being prepped for larger cities to be added. Which puts them directly in abutment to the wilderness. Similarly, there are now roads crisscrossing the so-called "wilderness".

See this

http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus#3.079.045

Compared with this

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120804224241/dayz/images/4/48/Chernarus.jpg

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2

Huge dev teams are unmanageable and destroy development projects. 1 Dean Hall is what invented DayZ that's all I need.

That, is nonsense...

don't worry, i will be spending most of my time around these forest along with only small towns. Since this past patch im getting even more fps drops and lag around the big cities, couple that with that fact that these zombies are now crazy, and it becomes almost impossible to defend myself in a big city without constant lag causing zombies to catch me and cause me to bandage 5+ times.

i want dayz SA have hunting and camping quickly too, then i can completely go to the wild, far away from city. 

Discussion in this thread makes me ask a question - why do people think that making of a computer game is one- or two-day task tops? It is not, programming takes time, optimization takes even more time. Finding bugs and fixing them take even more than than two of previous together. Believing that the loot-system is dynamic, not scripted, which determines how loot is spawned based on different factors rather than just spawning anything anywhere, I can think of all the performance issues that will come along.

I think the wildlife and nature of Chernarus will be made appealing to players other way around than spawning loot everywhere.

this is a camoflauge netting that is used to provide cover in wooded areas.

here it is pictured on top of a vehicle.

2013-New-Free-Shipping-Waterproof-camouf

implementing this type of "cover" for vehicles and items will make the wilderness more interesting.

coupled with the persistant storage idea (which should ONLY be a tent imo) makes for good camping.

also proper civilian hunting clothes.

camo-image-apg-2.jpg

Edited by pacific_coast
  • Like 1